The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Looking towards Epoch 3

By on July 18, 2009 11:39:23 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Real quick informal survey here.

When we get to Epoch 3 for Demigod, what do you think about changing it so that custom games no longer count wins and losses ??? only Pantheon/Skirmish games would.

The pre-requisites for Demigod: Epoch 3 are:

1. Satisfaction that the statistical tracking is very robust.

2. Better handling of Pantheon / Skirmish match making (something we would like your input to with regards to people quitting before the game starts and such).

3. Next Demigod update that addresses the LUA decompression issue that causes crashes for some people.

+912 Karma | 135 Replies
July 20, 2009 12:18:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Real quick informal survey here.

When we get to Epoch 3 for Demigod, what do you think about changing it so that custom games no longer count wins and losses – only Pantheon/Skirmish games would.

My vote is for stats collecting only on Pantheon / Skirmish.

Onyx

July 20, 2009 1:00:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Primal Zed,

anyone quitting should lose favor for their pantheon quitters never win and all that..
What about honest disconnects, or if someone simply has to go because something else came up?

Honest DC... tough luck

If you "have" to go, well thats to bad, but so what ? you are losing the game for your entire team. Dont play a game when you have to eat in 10 minutes (had this happen to teammates way to often), or when you are tired enough to want to go to bed

July 20, 2009 2:02:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is important to be able to quickly find a game. I have played Pantheon lately, only because I can't find any Skirmish games. I look for both just to find games.

@Frogboy, you have expressed concern in dividing the community. The really is that it is already divided into customs, pantheon and skirmish.

As some people have stated already; what we need is one solid matchmaking random team. Until there are enough people to fill both Skirmishes and Pantheon, stick with one. I would prefer Skirmish, but if you have to, make it Pantheon.

Next, we need to get the premades out of customs. I play customs when I can't find games, and because of this, i lose more than win because more often than not, you're up against teams bashing pugs. Stop giving stats for customs, and we can all start to enjoy them for what they are; a practice arena.

Introduce team skirmish: you will not lose players from skirmishes and pantheon into this, but you'll get the teams lurking in customs. Let them play on equal terms. Start with 3v3 or something and expand once the player-base increase.

If I could decide, I would get rid of the Light vs Dark Pantheon. I doesn't make sense. I can play both light and dark demigods, and if I play pantheon, it would mean that I would support both sides. Instead, I would suggest reseting the skirmish from time to time, and announce a winner-type-of tournament.

just my current opinion. I am not a good player, but I enjoy playing and want to find a game as fast as possible.

best wishes

TheLittleDonkey

July 20, 2009 6:59:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
I'm pretty sure to sum up this whole thread is that we need a team automatch.

This. 

Quoting Polynomial,

Quoting Shade,
reply 16

Quoting bane_solemon, reply 15
Quoting Polynomial, reply 14I'm pretty sure to sum up this whole thread is that we need a team automatch.
You mean team automatch and unranked customs.
Exactly.

Yes. They have to come at the same time.

And this, yes.

/signed

July 20, 2009 7:01:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Customs not being recorded statswise is absolutely essential.

July 21, 2009 1:27:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is what we need:

4 ladders:

• Skirmish (not premades)
  • Pantheon
  • Custom
  • Team Skirmish (premades)

All of the stats would be recorded into  four SEPERATE ladders.

July 21, 2009 1:56:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is what we need:

4 ladders:

• Skirmish (not premades)
  • Pantheon
  • Custom
  • Team Skirmish (premades)

All of the stats would be recorded into  four SEPERATE ladders.

I disagree with your list.  I think we need these ladders:

• Premade Skirmish 3v3
  • Premade Skirmish 4v4
  • Random 3v3
  • Random 4v4
  • Possibly 2v2/5v5 versions if feasible
  • Pantheons become special events with no persistent ranking value

I just don't see why customs should be ranked, especially because if modding becomes popular custom games will be full of games with altered balance, heroes, maps, etc.  Nothing in the custom ladder will be consistent and the king of the hill is going to be the one who games the system hardest, aka skews the matches in his own favor most extremely/reliably.

Look at the current rankings.  The people at the top are the ones with 90% and higher win rates.  It's a race to see who can stomp pugs in the greatest quantity, it has little to nothing to do with fighting players of equal skill.

July 21, 2009 2:15:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We need to be able to search pantheon with friends! And yea custom games shouldnt count in stats..

But balanc should be an issue too.. Like minions they have to give gold when you kill them!

July 21, 2009 4:57:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Everyone is forgetting 1 very important thing here about Custom games and Stats. HOST QUITTING exploit. I know I'm not alone in this, as I often see games titled "Host will not quit" lobbies.

Remove the ranking from custom games /signed.

July 21, 2009 5:28:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting THEDna,
We need to be able to search pantheon with friends! And yea custom games shouldnt count in stats..

But balanc should be an issue too.. Like minions they have to give gold when you kill them!
Minions dont need nerfed...if they gave exp or gold theyd be like priests from before the updates. Horn of battle is what needs nerfed if anything.

July 21, 2009 6:19:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When we get to Epoch 3 for Demigod, what do you think about changing it so that custom games no longer count wins and losses – only Pantheon/Skirmish games would.

agree

I hope to add Stats Item in Epcoh 3.

-Total
Kill,Death,Assist,Flag,Structure and Citadel Upgrade

-Average
Kill,Death,Assist,Flag,Structure,Citadel Upgrade and Disconnect Rate

And i'd like to see these stats in lobby
Maybe these Stats had better become the icon in lobby. 

Quoting Obscenitor,
Premade Skirmish 3v3
Premade Skirmish 4v4
Random 3v3
Random 4v4
Possibly 2v2/5v5 versions if feasible
Pantheons become special events with no persistent ranking value

100% agree!

July 21, 2009 6:45:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bane_solemon,
Quoting THEDna, reply 8We need to be able to search pantheon with friends! And yea custom games shouldnt count in stats..

Minions dont need nerfed...if they gave exp or gold theyd be like priests from before the updates. Horn of battle is what needs nerfed if anything.

Wrong. Some combos make it absolutely impossible to kill the hero before the minions. As a result you HAVE TO kill the darn minions specially the priests and that without getting ANYTHING from it will loose the darn game.

Minions must drop gold or XP... Just look at dota .. Else you will never see most assassin hero combos working out.. The balance as it is is freaking horrible and a reason NOT to play the game.

July 21, 2009 6:46:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think im near to Stop that game...

Now Stats get cleared so its for nothing.
U can than play just ranked games with randoms...

Demigod could be a nice game but when it going like now it will go down...

Too less DG´s, maps, ....

THat are the important things not which games should be ranked or not.
So nonsense discuss...

July 21, 2009 8:38:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Could this rated / unrated issue be addressed by merely adding another occurence of custom games, and making it unrated, hence getting something like: Skirmish / Rated custom / Unrated Custom / Pantheon?

It's likely to take more than just 2 buttons ("rated custom" / "unrated custom") and a copy/paste of the code, but it does sound functionally close enough to be an easy target.

Wouldn't the whole issue be fixed this way, or at least put to rest until we get a team matching system? Keep in mind that if we ask things too far fetched, it may take a while before we do get it.

Cheers!

July 21, 2009 8:50:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For now, I'd keep the statistics in for custom games.  The only thing I use stats for at the moment is to check out my custom game opponents.

Ideally, if we could seperate them into different ladders for skirmish/pantheon/custom, that would be preffered.

Once there is a Pantheon premade option, dropping custom game rankings make sense.

July 21, 2009 8:57:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have no problem with not ranking custom games, but as a player that only plays custom games I want my favor points back!!  Since the wipe I have played 4-5 games and NONE of my favor points got carried over or added to my bank.  

I can understand having two favor point banks, but only being able to obtain favor points via pantheon games is ridiculious.  I even played LAN multiplayer games and no favor points were assigned.  Maybe it's just a bug in my game?

Either way, I have not played since and probably won't until this is fixed.

If this is a bug.. when is GPG going to fix this?  If it's not a bug then why does it happen on my two systems and my friends two systems (2 seperate accounts).

July 21, 2009 9:15:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Since most PMs won't admit they're PMs go ahead and remove the rankings. It's a shame the cowards had to ruin it for the ones honest enough to admit they were PMs.

July 21, 2009 10:57:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with the sentiment of removing stats from custom games, but as stated previously in this thread, I feel it will lead to serious problems.

The main problem that would be compounded by this is the phenomenon of pub stompers "surfing" Pantheon games until they get a match with each other.  This leaves a huge swath of ruined matches in its trail, and degrades the overall experience for casual players.  Especially when you keep in mind that you have premade teams (who don't advertise they are premade) screaming at them to go to Pantheon. 

Demigod very desperately needs an area where competitive play can take place besides custom games.  Pub stomping is to a certain extent unavoidable, but it is essentially the way to get ahead in Demigod currently.  This is a problem because it ruins the experience of both the casual player (frustration), and the more serious player (boredom).

As has been suggested several times since well before the game launched, one great step you could take would be to keep player names invisible until it is not possible to quit out of the match.   Quitting out of matches should ding your rankings (or count as a loss).  Almost every other competitive online game employs this method, and with good reason.    It is an easy and effective deterrent.

July 21, 2009 2:35:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting THEDna,

Quoting bane_solemon,
reply 10
Quoting THEDna, reply 8We need to be able to search pantheon with friends! And yea custom games shouldnt count in stats..

Wrong. Some combos make it absolutely impossible to kill the hero before the minions. As a result you HAVE TO kill the darn minions specially the priests and that without getting ANYTHING from it will loose the darn game.

Minions must drop gold or XP... Just look at dota .. Else you will never see most assassin hero combos working out.. The balance as it is is freaking horrible and a reason NOT to play the game.
This isn't DotA and it would give the enemy an advantage every game and you know that their damage is affected by armor right?

July 21, 2009 2:54:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just add another option that is for "Non-ranked games"? And leave everything as is?

July 21, 2009 4:13:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

There is no reason to take them out especially with only 1 person (Obscenitor) thinks its a great idea.

I agree with Obscenitor so that makes two people.    This is basically the same system as TA.  Custom games did not count towards ranking - only ranked games did.  Premade noob stomps (and I play in premades) are definitely not a reflection of skill.  If anything, I have some really bad habits from playing people that don't understand what a premade can do.

Ideally, a ranking system pits you against people of similar skill and then moves you up and down.  Custom games do not do this and will greatly distort rankings for several reasons:

1. Premades almost never play people of similar rank.  In fact, they are more likely to play new and brain-dead players because any player that has been around the block avoids premade games.
  2. You can dodge matches in custom games.  Don't want to lose rank, avoid playing another good premade and feast on the PUG stomp.
  3. Good PUG players would be heavily penalized in the rankings if custom games counted.  I typically play in a 2 man premade.  Occasionally I will just PUG when my brother is not on.  My stats when I premade give me close to a 95% win rate.  My stats when I pug put me closer to 60%.  Why?  Because this game is heavily dependent on your teammates.  Put a random PUG'r on my team that just feeds the enemy, and I will lose irregardless of my skill.  In a ranked game, in theory, the teams are arranged for some semblence of balance so this shouldnt be an issue.  

I am in favor of tracking stats for custom games, but I do not believe that such games should count towards rank.

July 21, 2009 6:24:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Melric,

Premades almost never play people of similar rank.  In fact, they are more likely to play new and brain-dead players because any player that has been around the block avoids premade games.

lol this is ridicolous

the problem is not premades, the prioblem is the SKILL

there are too few skilled players and the risk when joining alone a premade is your team mate is too much underskilled

otherwise there is no problem about premades

so if the game could pair the players based on their skill i wouldnt have any problem playing with 3 randoms (skilled) against a premade

July 21, 2009 6:39:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Custom games should be split in to ranked and unranked.  This can be differentiated in however way makes sense, such as leaving "custom game" option as is and adding a "ladder game" option.  However, functionally they are identical other than two things: the fact one tracks stats for ladder participation while the other does not, and that the ladder mode is only official gameplay (no game modifications (not necessarily inclusinve of UI mods, if such thing ever happens)) and game settings.

This divide accomplishes a couple needs: the need for players to be able to play with friends; the need for players to play the game they want (even with some limitations, such as game mods and settings) such as map, number of players, quality of players; the need for players to have a sandbox ground, where they don't have to feel pressure of doing good or bad.

Ladders can have specific modes, as well - 5vs5, 3vs3, etc.  Pantheon and skirmish, then, fall in to the ladder system as would be expected.

However, pantheon and skirmish are different in that the deal with auto-matchmaking.  Now, it must not be forgotten the point of auto-matchmaking which is to, in the ideal, provide competition that is equally challenging for all.  The matchmaking aspect of pantheon and skirmish games has to take in to account individual player ability in a way that is robust and reasonably accurate.  The topic of what stat tracking is needed to facilitate a reasonable skill estimate is for another topic, but that goal is paramount.

A person's individual ranking will be used in match-making; a person's individual ranking will be determined by their rankings in the broader ladder system.

If we make the assumption that level of stat tracking is in place, then things start falling in place.

The ladder system grows accurately, allowing all manner of ladders without this annoying bickering and extremist pushing of some people.

Pantheon and skirmish can be expanded to have relevance on the game (ie, actual rewards for participating in pantheon or winning the epoch so that, you know, maybe people would actually play the pantheon which should be a major draw).

And this while still offering an arena for people to simply have fun with their literal custom games, as well as to just goof around.

This is robust.  Everybody wins.

The only starting point should be stats.  No amount of fiddling with the current ladder system matters if the rankings don't make any sense.  Leave everything as it is now and focus entirely on that.  Once the stats are done in such a way that people are reasonably ranked on an individual basis, then and only then can ladders be built.

I am seriously tired of people trying to solve the problem without actually addressing the problem.  The problem isn't custom games.  The problem isn't premades.  The problem isn't skill.  The problem is inaccurate, non-personal rankings that the system is built on.  This is a very hard thing to get right; I am not knocking whoever has been working on it.  But it is the root issue.  Address it and ONLY it right now.

For the people turning it in to a premade-debate.  Shut up.  You don't have any clue what you're talking about; it is completely irrelevant to EVERYTHING needed for a robust and accurate ladder system, and is certainly irrelevant to frogboy's question(s).

July 21, 2009 7:42:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

game became a AOC , to late now , to bad though , good try frogboy and gl , i like the game and how it works , but to many flaws for a game to survive , players will drop of and you rankings will do no good to bad... and btw still havent received my physical copy of the game which i bought 1 day after release.

and yes i have contacted sd about this.

khem over and out

July 21, 2009 8:00:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I vote for a simple "Check-Box": Ranked Game.  If it's not checked, it's not ranked.  Then if you host a game called "4 Fun" or "Practice", just don't check the box.  Or reverse it if you want (the game is always ranked unless "Unranked" is checked).  Seems that would satisfy most players.  I know I don't play a lot lately because I'm tired of a 100% lose ranking because I like to play with new players and don't care of if friends want to play together in a premade.  But knowing that helping new players or just playing against a group of friends for fun means my lose-streak rank just grows bigger makes me back off.  If I knew it was an unranked game, I'd be far more likey to join many games I now back away from.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000640   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.