The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Looking towards Epoch 3

By on July 18, 2009 11:39:23 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1451

Real quick informal survey here.

When we get to Epoch 3 for Demigod, what do you think about changing it so that custom games no longer count wins and losses ??? only Pantheon/Skirmish games would.

The pre-requisites for Demigod: Epoch 3 are:

1. Satisfaction that the statistical tracking is very robust.

2. Better handling of Pantheon / Skirmish match making (something we would like your input to with regards to people quitting before the game starts and such).

3. Next Demigod update that addresses the LUA decompression issue that causes crashes for some people.

Locked Post 135 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 18, 2009 11:43:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Until you can provide us a way to play ranked games with my friends, no. As in a team automatch.

July 18, 2009 11:47:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't know. It's hard to get into some matches but this change could boost number of pantheon/skirmish matches.

Then again I want to play with friends, and why shouldnt that be ranked?

I personally say no right now

July 18, 2009 11:52:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what do you think about changing it so that custom games no longer count wins and losses – only Pantheon/Skirmish games would.
Yes, a thousand times yes.
Until you can provide us a way to play ranked games with my friends, no. As in a team automatch.
You can still play all the games you want with your friends, it's not like the current rankings are meaningful anyway.  The way people currently get to the 'top' is by stomping pubs over and over and over.  There's no concern over the quality of games, just the quantity and outcome.

The result is that the pantheon/skirmish rankings are meaningless and the teams are never reasonably balanced because of it.  Having meaningless rankings attached to custom games doesn't do anyone any good.

July 18, 2009 11:52:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would personally like to have a place to where we can test new builds and such without it being put on our record so im all for it.

July 18, 2009 11:54:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what do you think about changing it so that custom games no longer count wins and losses – only Pantheon/Skirmish games would.

this is good imo. then we can start practising new strategies without effecting our wins/losses.

July 18, 2009 11:56:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also frogboy is this assuming the current pantheon/skirmish system stays as is or is there likely to be team game by that point?  Either way I think custom game rankings need to go, but it'll probably affect other people's opinions.

July 19, 2009 12:03:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is no reason that custom games should be counted as NA. We are not provided with a ranked mechanism for people who want to play with other friends. You would be taking something away from us. That's the last thing we need.

We've been through this argument before. People who want to play PUG games play Pantheon/Skirmish. People who want to play against each other in groups play custom games. Rankings mean nothing in pantheon/skirmish games when your ranking is determined by other people being decent.

July 19, 2009 12:04:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would like to see a further implementation of the current "Broken Down" stats.

A player would have their "Overall Win/Loss" ration which is every game they've ever played, including customs, clan wars, etc.

From there win/loss is broken down by category. Skirmish, Custom, Pantheon, 'Team Pantheon' (or whatever it's called.)This way you have an aoverarching record and a broken down record where you need it.

July 19, 2009 12:07:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I play Demigod with my brother and my RL friend and the only way we can play together is through custom games. Though I have no problem with seperating Pantheon/Skirmish stats from custom, I have no desire to have my custom games untracked. Unless you allow us a join as group option for Pantheon.

Seriously the only reason we play is because we can play together and taking away stat tracking for custom would generally suck overall. Maybe you can make the custom tracking WAY less robust but only AFTER you allow groups into Pantheon. Just count Wins/Losses only.
No streaks, no graphs, maybe not even tracking the players you've played with in previous games for Custom.

Anyway, thats my two cents.

July 19, 2009 12:10:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

QFT

Quoting Obscenitor,

The way people currently get to the 'top' is by stomping pubs over and over and over.  There's no concern over the quality of games, just the quantity and outcome.

He asks for automatch, not the possibility to stomp pubs. He wants to play with friends and to be ranked at the same time, and I agree.

July 19, 2009 12:10:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,

You can still play all the games you want with your friends, it's not like the current rankings are meaningful anyway.  The way people currently get to the 'top' is by stomping pubs over and over and over.  There's no concern over the quality of games, just the quantity and outcome.

The result is that the pantheon/skirmish rankings are meaningless and the teams are never reasonably balanced because of it.  Having meaningless rankings attached to custom games doesn't do anyone any good.

Some of us want to play ranked games with our family/friends but currently cannot do this effectively. Give us team Pantheon/Skirmish before screwing with the custom stats. Seriously.

July 19, 2009 12:13:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We've been through this argument before. People who want to play PUG games play Pantheon/Skirmish. People who want to play against each other in groups play custom games.
Then explain your game history.  It's all pub stomps.  Look at your last game:http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/768821/player/22215/

One dude at a 34% win rate, another is on a 14 loss streak, another has (of the time I saw it) only played four games period, three of which he lost, another was good, and the last was average.  

Clearly the majority of people you play against ARE PUBS so the statement that "people who want to play PUG games play Pantheon/Skirmish" is ridiuclously easily disproven.

Rankings mean nothing in pantheon/skirmish games when your ranking is determined by other people being decent.
Unless you're multi-boxing against yourself, then your opponents in custom games are other people, believe it or not.  Look at your current win ratio, a pristine 90+%.  Your current rank comes from the fact that you play TERRIBLE teams over and over and over again, look over your own history, it's plain to see.  

The fact is if you played against more challenging players your win rate and consequently your ranking would decline, because the custom game has no competitive nature which makes sense to represent on a ladder.

July 19, 2009 12:14:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some of us want to play ranked games with our family/friends but currently cannot do this effectively. Give us team Pantheon/Skirmish before screwing with the custom stats. Seriously.
This sums up the opposition opinion here, Frogboy. People know the current rankings are nonsense but they still want to be ranked.  They're asking you to keep the ranking system completely broken/meaningless so that you'll be pressured to provide them with automatching for teams.

They are not offering any defense of the validity of the current rankings.

July 19, 2009 12:17:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is actually necessary to NOT count custom games?

Why can't you put an option "Ranked" and "Not ranked"?

Seriously, not all people can use the matchmaking system...

And fix the pathfinding issues, thank you.

July 19, 2009 12:19:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,

We've been through this argument before. People who want to play PUG games play Pantheon/Skirmish. People who want to play against each other in groups play custom games.Then explain your game history.  It's all pub stomps.  Look at your last game:http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/768821/player/22215/
One dude at a 34% win rate, another is on a 14 loss streak, another has (of the time I saw it) only played four games period, three of which he lost, another was good, and the last was average.  

Clearly the majority of people you play against ARE PUBS so the statement that "people who want to play PUG games play Pantheon/Skirmish" is ridiuclously easily disproven.

Rankings mean nothing in pantheon/skirmish games when your ranking is determined by other people being decent.Unless you're multi-boxing against yourself, then your opponents in custom games are other people, believe it or not.  Look at your current win ratio, a pristine 90+%.  Your current rank comes from the fact that you play TERRIBLE teams over and over and over again, look over your own history, it's plain to see.  
The fact is if you played against more challenging players your win rate and consequently your ranking would decline, because the custom game has no competitive nature which makes sense to represent on a ladder.

I never deny playing with a premade game. Let me know when you find 5v5 games with other premades. Okay? We have been through this argument before! https://forums.demigodthegame.com/34865 Look! People who want premades play custom. Those who do not play pantheon/skirmish.

You cannot take things away from us in this game. You need to provide us a way to play games with our friends and have it count before you take that away. Taking away ranked custom games is not a good idea when you cannot replace it with something else. Its the whole creation/destruction cycle.

July 19, 2009 12:21:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Trust me, I'm not worried about my record..its only at like 60% or something. My bro is like 35% and my buddy is like 80-90%. Its not exactly "ranking" that I care about, but I do enjoy the tracking and looking at our history of games together and see if we're improving, and we discuss this as a group pretty much daily on our morning drives to work.

Removing all tracking from custom games without giving us a way to play teams in skirmish/pantheon pretty much takes half the fun out of it for us and people like us.

I'm not against removing tracking for custom, I just want it to be done in the order of team pantheon first.

July 19, 2009 12:26:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Custom game stats should still be collected, but they shouldn't affect the ladder or XP at all; I never understood why they did (alternately, just make the XP gain drop rapidly with level disparity, to prevent people from climbing the ladder by farming a bunch of noobs all day long; it's not fun for anyone involved).

The pantheon and skirmish matchmaking should be anonymous (ideally, you could see everyone's connection quality, but nobody's user name) to prevent easily gaming the system; but at the same time, there should be a team vs. team option for pantheon/skirmishes, to let people truly compete as teams (rather than a well coordinated team stomping pug after pug).

There should also be a game type preference for pantheon and skirmishes. Sometimes random is fun, but sometimes you just don't want to do play another dominate map. To make this fair, the selections wouldn't be binding; they'd just be preferences to help matchmaking more successful (i.e., more fun for everyone involved).

The matchmaking system should try to avoid pairing a pro with a noob and then matching them against two mediocre players; these matches are frustrating for the pro and the noob. To clarify, when I say noob, I mean a person playing one of their first online matches. I don't know how feasible this is due to the small number of people queueing, but it would be great for when more people are queuing.

July 19, 2009 12:29:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, so why have custom matches not ranked? Right now I don't have a way to play with friends in Skirmish/Pantheon, so if I actually cared about my rank odds are I want to play with a team, but I can't, so why play those game modes? I can play custom game type and have teams play eachother. But then people bitch because I play pugs cause sometimes I can't find another team or I'm an asshat and don't put team in title(this is all hypothetical, I stopped playing a while back, at least online). So my custom rank, which is the one that matters to me, doesn't matter to others. Fine, I'll up my skirmish rank. FUCK, I can't, cause I get matched with trashy players. BUt, they match based on rank. Even if that did work it never would because player base is too small to allow for well matched teams.

So custom games are where people who care about rank want to play, but skirmish is where they should but it doesn't work

solution to me - leave custom rankings and add option to play with friends in pantheon / skirmish. If people go YOU SUCK because custom rank is low, say hey, look at my skirmish rank ass hat, i test builds in custom. If skirmishrank is low, hey, you suck

REMOVE PANTHEON - I think it's a huge waste. There is no benefit to winning the tournament. and there should not be. Why should shitty players get rewarded for getting carried? Why should good players get punished cause they had a ton of crappy teammates?

So why have this game mode - it's trying to be persistent but why? it's unbalanced imo with limiting demigods, there's no reason to try and win, and it cuts playerbase up

July 19, 2009 12:31:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Removing all tracking from custom games without giving us a way to play teams in skirmish/pantheon pretty much takes half the fun out of it for us and people like us.
I'm pretty certain they would still be tracked, they just wouldn't affect your ranking.

July 19, 2009 12:32:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Steps for fixing this game:

1. Accurate stat tracking for all games. 

2. Team Automatch so premades can play eachother. 

3. Truly seperate custom and automatch stats: "Top Players" ladder displays automatch stats. Custom games count in a seperate ladder so puggers can still track their stats, but wont interfere with the meaningful automatch ladder stats. 

July 19, 2009 12:32:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

People who want premades play custom. Those who do not play pantheon/skirmish.

pantheon and skirmish aren't even fair half the time infact last week i had 3 games in a row with bots so that arguement that we PUGS have somehwere to go is not that valid if we want to fix something make it to where PUGs can actually get even games against other PUGs.

July 19, 2009 12:33:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When we get to Epoch 3 for Demigod, what do you think about changing it so that custom games no longer count wins and losses – only Pantheon/Skirmish games would.

did you read what frogboy said

"When we get to Epoch 3 for Demigod, what do you think about changing it so that custom games no longer count wins and losses – only Pantheon/Skirmish games would."

"so that custom games no longer count wins and losses"

"no longer count wins and losses"

July 19, 2009 12:43:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting woca,

did you read what frogboy said

"
No we saw the title came in here and put a bunch of random words together without reading his post and hoped it made sense...now to be more serious I think he means have it like games against comps they are still tracked and added to the website just they don't count towards ladder rank/exp.

July 19, 2009 12:46:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bane_solemon,

Quoting Polynomial, reply 15

People who want premades play custom. Those who do not play pantheon/skirmish.

pantheon and skirmish aren't even fair half the time infact last week i had 3 games in a row with bots so that arguement that we PUGS have somehwere to go is not that valid if we want to fix something make it to where PUGs can actually get even games against other PUGs.

In that case you should be asking GPG/Stardock to fix that up.

July 19, 2009 12:59:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

In that case you should be asking GPG/Stardock to fix that up.

forums.demigodthegame.com/357872

forums.demigodthegame.com/355248

I'll add some more of these fix pantheon threads later if you really want me to...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time: