The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Rain of Ice damage

By on June 30, 2009 2:22:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can't find any posts regarding this.

Rain of Ice (TB skill) ranks up as 200, 400, 600, 800 at each skill point put into the skill.

However, I've noticed that often-times, I don't get those flat numbers while fighting. Many times it'll hit for 777, or 564, or something weird like that.

Is RoI affected by armor or some other mitigation? Or am I just going crazy? The only explanation I can think of is for instances when I use it as a killing blow, then that's just all the life they have so I can't take 800 damage off of someone with only 750 life. But I swear I get uneven numbers even outside of killing blows.

+4 Karma | 51 Replies
June 30, 2009 2:35:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've seen it too.  Creeps should die flat out to level 2 400 dmg rain of ice, but sometimes it does less, just enough to not kill the minotaurs.

Explanation, please.

June 30, 2009 2:38:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only explanation I can think of is for instances when I use it as a killing blow, then that's just all the life they have so I can't take 800 damage off of someone with only 750 life.

No, that's not it, as I've gotten 1900 criticals on archers and minotaurs. It shouldn't be affected by armor since it's a skill, although it may be some sort of damage mitigation given by an item(although the only item I know of that gives that is bulwark, which is an artifact) or a skill, such as acclimation. Or perhaps it's affected by HPS?

In all honesty I have no idea.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed that sometimes Ooze does 55 dps to yourself instead of 50 at rank IV, or 38 dps instead of 30 at rank II.

June 30, 2009 3:16:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Perhaps it is affected like Rooks hammer slam with less damage on the edges of the rain?

June 30, 2009 3:23:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

10% damage flags probably account for a lot of it?

Although I'm sure I've had it happen to me on maps without them as well, like prison.

June 30, 2009 4:05:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

10% damage flags probably account for a lot of it?

There's no flag that makes you do 10% less.  It should never be doing less than what the ability damage is supposed to deal, yet it often does.

June 30, 2009 4:10:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As i have just bought the game i would have no knowledge on the subject but, the attack sounding like an AOE do you think distance would mitigate it at all..?

June 30, 2009 4:11:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Shouldn't be.

June 30, 2009 4:16:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have also observed this with this ability, and a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head.  Fireballs always do their listed damage + bonus for penitence or debilitation.  Rain of Ice almost always does slightly LESS than the damage listed.  It is very odd, especially because it is often not very much damage off.

June 30, 2009 5:03:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

could be some undocumented magic resistance for some reason.

has anyone checked whether or not creeps gain hidden magic resistance from the creep armor upgrade at the citadel? 

June 30, 2009 5:19:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yep, I've seen my max bite skill with Erebus do 445dmg (should do 775), Torchbearer fireball at max level should do 1050, yet it hits for some weird number like 932 sometimes, sedna's pounce max 1000dmg, yet often hits for less. Wtf is going on here? I thought skills were guaranteed damage?

EDIT: This is against other Demigods, I haven't payed attention to see if it does it against creeps, but I see no reason why it would be any different.

June 30, 2009 5:34:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some examples here are probably due to HPS

June 30, 2009 5:39:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HPS? You mean hit points per second? That couldn't explain it. We are talking about the numbers shown above people's heads, not the amount of HP they had after casting.

June 30, 2009 6:01:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wonder if the damage is somehow bugged due to problematic 10% damage flags?  Like the Valor flag bug, if it gets taken you somehow have -10% damage?

But I've seen it happen on cataract and there's no damage flags there.  Hmmm.....

June 30, 2009 6:06:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm so happy to know I haven't gone insane, haha.

Odd thing is that it can't be armor, either, because 777 from a 800 damage spell is less than 3%.

The other day I got hit by a Boulder Roll for 223. So yeah, it's not just from Rain of Ice, I guess I just notice that more cuz I like to play TB more.

Funny thing about creeps is that when I RoI them, they all take different damage. In theory, I should see all 800s above them when RoI hits, right? But on the same cast, they all take 734, 729, 799, 776, etc. On the same cast! Demigods too, so it's not just a creeps/grunts issue.

Maybe there is a random damage generator for AoE spells? I can't think of any single-target spell examples. So 800 damage is actually 750-850 or something like that, for example.

Also, Valor flags only affect grunts, I believe.

June 30, 2009 6:11:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I really can't imagine why they'd add in a completely weird damage randomizer for AoE damage. All I can think of is some that AoE always has some spread based on the center of the target.  I'll explore this a little bit tonight when I get home, see if I can discern some numbers.

June 30, 2009 6:13:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Funny thing about creeps is that when I RoI them, they all take different damage. In theory, I should see all 800s above them when RoI hits, right? But on the same cast, they all take 734, 729, 799, 776, etc. On the same cast! Demigods too, so it's not just a creeps/grunts issue.

I know, it's so very odd.

And I've NEVER seen something like Pounce do anything but its set damage though.  Only Rain of Ice....

June 30, 2009 7:07:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ive seen boulder stun and rain of ice do some random damage. Even on maps which have no damage flags.

June 30, 2009 7:19:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Belive most damage in Demigod got a +-5% variable

June 30, 2009 7:34:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've noticed it as well. Must be another bug, just great, i can't wait to see what people find next.

June 30, 2009 7:48:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I doubt it is a bug, probably just an unlisted feature. .

Honestly though, it is harder to do damage wrong like this, than right. I mean, you set the damage number, you apply it to targets... really simple. In order for you to accidentally randomize it... I just can't imagine that.

June 30, 2009 7:49:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,

I know, it's so very odd.

And I've NEVER seen something like Pounce do anything but its set damage though.  Only Rain of Ice....

I have with bite, pounce, and fireball.

For example; I bit (with bite at max level) a demigod once as he was running away and only did 423 damage yet got the full 775 health...

June 30, 2009 8:12:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ive had plus dmg with bite... 775 turned to 840 dmg or something like that a couple of times ..

maybe if the enemy is suffereing from some sort of def debuff, maybe it dos more?

i cant explain y it would do less as i have experienced it before...

June 30, 2009 8:20:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pretty sure you guys are talking about this item...

http://demigod.wikia.com/wiki/File:Bulwark_of_the_Ages.png

June 30, 2009 8:52:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only thing that I can think of is that the portal minion armor upgrades are applying to Rain of Ice damage.  And also maybe any +armor auras might be interfering. The damage of the ability itself seems completely fixed at 200/level, looking at the ability file.

ive had plus dmg with bite... 775 turned to 840 dmg or something like that a couple of times ..

That's the Debilitating flag. 775 * 1.1 = 853.

June 30, 2009 9:05:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting xcodered,
Pretty sure you guys are talking about this item...

http://demigod.wikia.com/wiki/File:Bulwark_of_the_Ages.png

The Bulwark may be responsible for a few of the reports in this thread, but those talking about the slight randomization of damage are definitely not.  Test it out yourself.  Start a game, choose TB, get rain of Ice, and cast it on a group of creeps.  look at the damage numbers.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.