The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[REL] Demigod fan trailer

By on June 23, 2009 8:10:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was recently given the opportunity to test an old cinematic tool that removes the HUD and all of its derivatives (Smiter announcements, Absorbed, highlight circles underneath demigods, etc.), from the screen. The reason you guys haven't seen this patched into the release version of DG is because it breaks the game. I had an old build with none of the updates that the release version has gotten (like, say, the targeting bug, grrrr), which is why this was possible.

GPG was quite interested in whether or not the HUD removal tool could be used for vids, and after my work with this engine via my SupCom stuff, they decided to let me try. What I wanted to do was create a trailer that could compliment the official one, most notably by showing the DG's that weren't around when that vid was made. GPG was mostly looking for my feedback for future improvements to the engine, but after seeing it, they said it was fine if I wanted to release it, because I am independent, it doesn't violate their license, and was "Frankly, amazing."

Sound effects did not work out, and neither did a moving camera, so those are two distinct features GPG had that my vid is lacking. They also seemed capable of moving the camera further away from the map then I could (like that shot of the Zikurat leopard statues at 0:24). Lastly, they also used a lot of screen shakes, which I have still never tried to do myself.

My vid ended up being completely different, to a degree I really hadn't expected. It has a lot of slow motion, uses just about the most epic piece of orchestral music ever conceived, has a longer running time, and has text. It also, of course, has more in-game content on display.

I think you guys will find this worth downloading. It seems good enough to me, and the music kinda sells the vid by itself. Nonetheless, take a gander and let me know what you think.

If you find it good enough to show others, be sure to do so when the demo comes out. It may sway some people to try it that wouldn't have otherwise.

Some info: It's 1024x768, 30 fps, 2:27 in length, and plays to "Freedom Fighters" by Two Steps From Hell.

Links:

HD - 179 MB (stream online)
Compression scheme: Xvid

Medium - 102 MB (stream online)
Compression scheme: X264

Small - 50 MB (stream online)
Compression scheme: X264

YouTube stream

GameTrailers stream

*Added - Off the front page in a day and a half! Impressive.

+8 Karma | 22 Replies
June 23, 2009 8:17:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Beautiful...it reminds me of how I'm still playing at the lowest fidelity settings. :~~~~~

June 23, 2009 8:33:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That was SICK

June 23, 2009 8:41:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, I didnt know the game could look that good. I might have to stop waiting for starcraft 2 to come out and go ahead and spring for a new system.

June 23, 2009 9:46:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Better than the official trailers!

It also made me realise how much I miss out on by having to run the game on low settings.

June 23, 2009 9:50:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very nice - I didn't know there were blood splatter animations in Demigod.

June 23, 2009 10:05:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great vid man, and you were right about that song!

Will link this to a couple of friends who are still boarderline.

June 23, 2009 10:13:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome!

June 24, 2009 5:50:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks awesome. Now I'm sad that I have to play on low detail settings, everythings looks so much better in the trailer ^^

June 24, 2009 6:40:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Excellent work mate, very good trailer.

June 24, 2009 11:01:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lovely video, good job

June 27, 2009 4:29:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome trailer, you should be hirde

Music is stunning.

Graphics look great, I have a fast rig with every possible option on the highest but can't remember ever seeing such great graphics..

June 28, 2009 10:39:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great video beautifully counterpointed by the intense music!

If you ever want to make a highpaced one with shakes and movement and lots of blood, may I recommend "Dies Irae" (day of wrath) from Mozarts "Reqiuem"

Hope u make many more! 

June 28, 2009 8:42:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting PantokratorII,

Hope u make many more! 

The video has a grand total of 55 downloads and 300 stream views. Not to be too much of a dick, but... why would I make another vid for this community?

June 28, 2009 11:11:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this is a good idea though. The community needs more fan vids. A model viewer that will let them make more vids.

I'd like to see storyline intro & endings for each character.

June 28, 2009 11:25:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

great vid, shame that you cant appreciate all those graphics whilst playing

June 29, 2009 6:42:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ahiodsohi,

Quoting PantokratorII,
reply 12

Hope u make many more! 

The video has a grand total of 55 downloads and 300 stream views. Not to be too much of a dick, but... why would I make another vid for this community?

Hmm you probably need a bit more publicity for it. Only a very small percentage of people read forums. I've seen fan-made vids been posted on the main site for other games. Also some game sites let users upload them. That would certainly up the numbers. I'll help you now with a (it's a shame I didn't give you one before)

October 2, 2009 6:41:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This video needs to be watched.

October 2, 2009 7:39:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*Sticky please*

October 3, 2009 8:48:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ahiodsohi,

Quoting PantokratorII, reply 12
Hope u make many more! 

Haha, exactly!

That's why I stopped doing vids. After all, why bother if no one watches them? The DG community is small and outside of that no one cares. And inside of it too few care to motivate one.

Too bad, though. Now that replays work and your thing to remove the gui stuff ... making vids would be easy and fun to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl5-_B893eA

Btw. your vid looks awesome ... some pretty cool shots inside.

October 3, 2009 9:42:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aroddo,

Quoting Ahiodsohi, reply 13
Quoting PantokratorII, reply 12
Hope u make many more! 
Haha, exactly!

That's why I stopped doing vids. After all, why bother if no one watches them? The DG community is small and outside of that no one cares. And inside of it too few care to motivate one.

True enough, which is why I beat you to the punch and said so in your Erebus thread 2 1/2 months ago. So when it comes to bitter ex-DG vid maker, I win!

Pity we both came to the same conclusion, though. *sigh*

Quoting Aroddo,
Too bad, though. Now that replays work and your thing to remove the gui stuff ... making vids would be easy and fun to do.

The GUI removal feature is part of a separate build. It can't be transferred to the current version of the game in order to take advantage of the replay system.

October 4, 2009 4:14:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

When modding is included as part of patch 1.2 it will be simple to mod a GUI hider in.

October 4, 2009 3:30:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.