The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Communities: Impulse to the rescue

By on June 18, 2009 3:14:16 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Typically what happens with games is that they come out, a community is formed, they peak, and then they die.

So how do we make sure Demigod avoids this fate?

Based on the # of users playing on-line, we're projecting that Demigod will reach its peak community (# of people available) around August. Left on its own, it would follow the path of most other games.

As I write this, there are 3,211 people currently either playing Demigod games online, waiting for games, or in lobbies. During peak hours, it’ll get to around double that.

So how do we make this number continue to grow over time or at least, once it peaks, stay there?

It’s a question we’ve been pondering since the late beta of Demigod itself. We think the answer is to pull forward some of the features we’ve been working on for Impulse that were originally scheduled to launch with Elemental.

The challenges of on-line play

In my years of playing competitively on-line, here are the problems that any such system needs to address.

1. A lot of people who play online are basement dwelling jerks who need a good flogging.

2. It is often hard to impossible to find decent human beings online.  I myself rely on groups like QuarterToThree.com for people I want to spend time with online. That’s what I do with Left4Dead and with Steam. If you want to see community features done well, visit Steam’s community.

3. Even if you find those people, it’s sometimes hard to get them together to play a game as a team.

The solution in Impulse

Now, one obvious gamer question would be, why didn’t we just use Steam. I mean, I use Steam every day for a lot of my games.

The reason we aren’t using Steam is that, as good as Steam is, and it is good, we don’t want it to be the only option. Competition is good for not just consumers but good for us (Steam and Impulse).  Doesn’t mean I’m not going to use Impulse to buy games when there’s something on it I want that isn’t on Impulse or use it for community. I just don’t want Steam to be my only option.

So with Impulse, we’re bringing forward a lot of community features in the next couple months. The clan features some people know about but the idea is to make it easy for people to find other like minded people to play games with (not just games on Impulse) no matter where they happen to be.

I am hoping we can get a beta of this going in the next few weeks so that we can custom tailor this.  But the idea here is that we need to not just have a “lot of people playing Game X” but people need to be easily find the right people to play with.

Stay tuned.

+912 Karma | 42 Replies
June 18, 2009 3:20:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It would be great to get the in game chat to work, cause right now its not overly functional, there is no overlay as in Steam when someone sends you a message, so even though my friends are all on my list, we never know when someone is trying to chat.

But I'm certainly glad you're working on it, and of course, Steam provides a great model.

June 18, 2009 3:27:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

These updates are great- and they are appreciated. Unfortunatly it is difficult as a gamer who soley bought the game to eat the cake to be asked to wait patiently for the cake.

When we have things such as Steam + Clans + Ranking systems that come standard in games, it is frustrating to see a game backtrack.

I have not played Demigod in a while. I am simply waiting for all the things mentioned above. But Thanks for keeping us posted--no matter what happens you have definetly made a mark in keeping the community.

June 18, 2009 3:27:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds great, but I definitely agree that the overlay or at least a notification sound when you get a chat message would be great. Additionally, I'd love to be able to apply the impulse overlay to non impulse games (don't think there is a way now). If that were available, I think it'd be a great help, because at least for me, being able to use steam chat in and out of almost game I want is a huge benefit, but steam chat is annoyingly flaky at times and I'd love a better option.

June 18, 2009 3:34:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One of the most lacking features in my mind for Demigod is community interaction.  When you log into the game you don't see a lobby full of people, you don't know who is going to be in the game you join, there is no option for someone to join your game by sending him a message with a join my game button.  These things are missing and it makes the game feel sterile.  Even with the shift-tab functionality from Impulse, the friends messaging system is not instantaneous (It can take up to 1 hour before you even receive a message).  It is a hit or miss.. sometimes they get it immediately, sometimes they get it within a few minutes.  So by the time you are done asking "Want to join my game?" You might already be in the game paying with eight players.

Here are a few things which would make this game go from a good game to a great game that people will keep using and people will keep buying.  Even after all this time people are buying the warcraft 3 battlechest just for dota.  This is what needs to be done with demigod.

1.  Include an irc like chat system in game.  A catch all chat system where everyone can speak while they select the game they would like to join.  This makes it easy to say "Hey.. <insert name here> join this game"

2.  Have a friend list where you can communicate instantaneously with your friend.  If he is in a demigod game show "Friend in Demigod Game" status.

3. Separate created games by lobbies.  Lobby 1= Pros, Lobby 2= Intermediate, Lobby 3=Newbies, Lobby 4= Experimentation

4. Streamline the starting GUI in game.  The game itself feels extremely polished but the joining and GUI graphics feel a bit second class.  Every time you hit ranking in game it minimizes demigod and loads up your default web browser to show you the stats.  Which is a problem if you are not using by default internet explorer (It errors out).

5. This is a long shot.. but this game is very conducive for voip usage.  If there is any way stardock might be able to provide some sort of voip, this would help immensely.

June 18, 2009 3:37:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Considering that the Impulse in-game and community features (Reactor.dll I believe) were released a year early, I am sure that Stardock has a lot of improvements in active development. That screenshot teaser looks great!

June 18, 2009 4:12:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think if you keep bringing out new gods and maybe new maps that would help too. Theres nothing like fresh meat to make you want to take another helping. Do that and keep ironing out the bugs and ppl will continue to flock to the game imo.

June 18, 2009 4:37:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In my years of playing competitively on-line, here are the problems that any such system needs to address.

1. A lot of people who play online are basement dwelling jerks who need a good flogging.

2. It is often hard to impossible to find decent human beings online. I myself rely on groups like QuarterToThree.com for people I want to spend time with online. That’s what I do with Left4Dead and with Steam. If you want to see community features done well, visit Steam’s community.

3. Even if you find those people, it’s sometimes hard to get them together to play a game as a team.

Out of 250 matches I've had to deal with jerks less than 5 times so far. So I'm counting my blessings.

In Diablo 2 I was luck to find an honorable guild early on in my online experience which made a big difference and eventually got me into MMOs. Most of my guild experience in MMOs have been positive. Given the way match making works for Pantheon and Skirmish, I don't get to play with or against the same players too often. I also don't find much time to chat during a match since there is so much to do and time spent chatting takes away from time playing. I think the addition on clans and a better chat system / friends list or some better documentation of the existing one would help players hook up.

One thing I'm wondering is whether it would be possible to be part of more than one clan. For example, I'd like to be part of a casual clan with my old MMO buddies while also being part of a competative clan for challenging matche play.

June 18, 2009 6:36:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I too am worried about the community peaking and then dying off. I really dont want that. Demigod is the first game in a long time that I have bothered playing online with any interest or conviction.

At the end of the day, it is going to be a three pronged attack that keeps it going. Marketing to get more people in, more content to keep people interested and also draw new in, while finally providing that interactive, feature rich environment that many big games have.

I really hope the efforts that are made bear fruit and DG has a long life.

June 18, 2009 7:20:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Rdubya,
These updates are great- and they are appreciated. Unfortunatly it is difficult as a gamer who soley bought the game to eat the cake to be asked to wait patiently for the cake.

When we have things such as Steam + Clans + Ranking systems that come standard in games, it is frustrating to see a game backtrack.

I have not played Demigod in a while. I am simply waiting for all the things mentioned above. But Thanks for keeping us posted--no matter what happens you have definetly made a mark in keeping the community.

yeah exactly my point too, except I can't wait to get all issues fixed, I keep on playing

fingers crossed all issues will be fixed soon.

but these updates from frog are well appreciated for sure

June 18, 2009 8:13:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can't wait for this to be added, looks very slick.

June 18, 2009 8:23:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, i know that you played Demigod on Gameranger. Emulate that with the shift-tab impulse interface. You already got the friends list and chat, you need the rest of it. I think this is much simpler and less time consuming than trying to copy Steam...

I don't know about you, but i have met online many kind people in Demigod. True, i stumbled upon 2 or 3 (from dozens of games) who were jerks and calling names and then rage quit, but most of the time they either are communicative players or quiet ones. Personaly if i find a noob and he seems like a nice person, i don't mind that much loosing the game because of him. I stay with him 'till the end and hope that he learned something. When i encounter some jerk, i usually stay quiet and let him boil in rage.

And now for something completely different, why there are no 4v4 or 5v5 Pantheon matches? Will there ever be?

June 18, 2009 8:45:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Xfire.com

I use this to communicate and setup games.

June 18, 2009 9:27:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting angryandroid,
I too am worried about the community peaking and then dying off. I really dont want that. Demigod is the first game in a long time that I have bothered playing online with any interest or conviction.

At the end of the day, it is going to be a three pronged attack that keeps it going. Marketing to get more people in, more content to keep people interested and also draw new in, while finally providing that interactive, feature rich environment that many big games have.

I really hope the efforts that are made bear fruit and DG has a long life.

Completely agree, this is the first game that has been able to get me so hooked so quickly in... ever?  But it is not that way for everyone, which isn't to say that they can't be won over. 

I believe the three pronged attack truly is what will keep the game going, and each aspect is as important as the other.  Market enough to generate a population, update content enough to develop the reputation that makes the community market within itself and makes people WANT to pay for the game, and continue improving a feature rich community environment to keep us all connected.

It really is impossible to exclude any of these when achieving a long fruitful lifespan, which we all want!

June 18, 2009 9:33:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And now for something completely different, why there are no 4v4 or 5v5 Pantheon matches? Will there ever be?

This is a bit off topic - but this question has actually been answered previously.  Rather than finding a link, I'll summarize:  Pantheon is currently restricted to 2v2 due to how much upload bandwidth is required and how much that number increases as you start adding players.  Lots of people hit problems as you go beyond 4 people in game, and this of course, slows the game down for everyone since it is P2P.

I believe the idea was to add larger Pantheon games as they streamline the game and reduce the packet sizes, although I'm not sure if 5v5 was every really on the radar.

On topic:  Thanks for the update.  Heres hoping that once you get some better clan/chat support in game, we will soon after see those arranged teams for skirmish/pantheon modes since these two things really go hand-in-hand.

June 18, 2009 9:52:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the screen shot.  I'm looking forward to this Frogboy.  It's cool to see things like this get built from the ground up. 

June 18, 2009 9:55:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's been upped to 3 on 3 but I don't think you'll see 4 on 4 any time soon.

June 18, 2009 10:14:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd like to add something I believe has been missed up until now - Valve does one thing other developers don't really do; game related products. I don't mean merchandise, I mean things like the 'Meet the [Class]' videos that they produce for Team Fortress 2. The community is filled with talented people who will eventually make their own such videos, however helping them along with official support will ensure the community connects not just in the game, but also outside of it. And this is where a community gets it's legs. Having a friends system, community groups and supported Clans is very helpful and convienant, however games developed thriving communities long before these features became standard issue features - and they did it because the community could relate to one another. Fan fiction, wallpapers, game play movies; these items help people connect to the game and to the community more, and ensure they'll stay around for a long, long time.

To give a basic example, albeit a somewhat disconnected one, in my guild in World of Warcraft I noticed our members started playing the game less and started posting on our guild forums less, despite the fact that we were progressing through the PvE content steadily and we were tearing it up in PvP events often. To help build morale, I recorded several movies of our shenanigans and edited together a bit of a guild movie and posted it online. It worked like a charm; people were playing more and posting more. The effect of these kinds of items cannot be understated.

June 19, 2009 2:12:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting VoodooKing,
Xfire.com

yes,i use xfire with lots of friends to play demigod...

June 19, 2009 2:25:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting oXi,

Quoting VoodooKing, reply 12Xfire.com

yes,i use xfire with lots of friends to play demigod...

Yep currently it's the only realistic way to get together with games.

I would also agree with an earlier poster than an IRC style chat in the Multiplayer area would be great. I don't share Frogboy's vision that the clan component will increase the games population - World in Conflict had a very good one, the game was good but that alone was not enough to ensure sales. You need to get people playing. However a clan/friends component to ensure friends team up is a good idea regardless.

I'd love to see voice communication in game - if that is provided by impulse then great but it must be part of the game - i.e not require you to be an impulse friend - linked up etc. Voice communication adds a whole new depth to the game.

Also improve the Pantheon so random match ups are more enjoyable - increase the numbers that can play and ensure friends can tie in when playing.

I'm laying great store in the demo - make sure it broadcasts on xfire so people can see friends are playing the demo. The community will ensure it's advertised as well. Hopefully retail versions will be able to play with the demo version.

Tals

June 19, 2009 3:32:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As I write this, there are 3,211 people currently either playing Demigod games online, waiting for games, or in lobbies. During peak hours, it’ll get to around double that.

I've never seen more than 500 players online ... in last few weeks ... imo this game is dying right now ....

People are tired loosing games , premades is killing custom games , skirmish/pantheon 2vs2 is boring like hell . I love this game , and i enjoy playing ... but after 2 months get 4vs4 without lags is ratio 1:5 ? 5v5 imo 1:20 , but ive never played 5vs5 without lags its only legend for me , i hear about it but ive never see it .

June 19, 2009 4:43:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Vilger, where are you looking though, and at what time?  And what timezone?  As I'm sure you're aware, some people just use the game's online features, some use xfire, some use GameRanger.  If FrogBoy says a certain number of people are online at a point in time, I'm sure his access to the consolidated data is more accurate than someone only watching one medium.

The game is just gearing up, though a way to consolidate the population would be awesome.

June 19, 2009 5:24:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i use this - http://www.demigodthegame.com/opengames.aspx - on gameranger is small amount of legit versions so i think its nonsense to count players from gameranger .... i played in EU , timezone gmt+1 (cest) but i watching stats in work , in home ... as i said , ive never seen in this stats in last few weeks more than 500 players ... if they do not change connection problems ,this game will be dead in 2-3 months imo before expansion .

Show me game right now with "same" connection problems... after 2 months we are still on false start ...

in europe 4-11pm atm is small amout of players  -- watch custom games ... imo day after day is less players in EU  - people are bored becouse of connection problems ,ragequiting ,and thats why they leave this game ...

atm u have 160 players online ? yesterday at 8pm in europe it was 260 players ? game is dying .. nothing else

---- atm in my country u can buy Demigod in price ~12$ --- so its not selling well

June 19, 2009 10:27:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

vilger: If you're having connectivity problems at this point, you need to look at your own setup. I am not aware of anyone having any problems at this point. I'm not sur what you're even talking about.

As for how well the game is doing in the EU, I can't speak to that as that is Atari. 

Opengames.aspx only displays the # of people on the server that we used during the beta. There several such servers.

alve does one thing other developers don't really do; game related products. I don't mean merchandise, I mean things like the 'Meet the [Class]' videos that they produce for Team Fortress 2.

I love those videos myself.  It's worth pointing out that we (Stardock) are the publisher of Demigod. It's not actually our game so that would be a suggestion we'd have to pass on to GPG.

Regarding the demo: The demo isn't interoperable with the full game in online play.

Ultimately, we will do everything we can do to keep the multiplayer community growing but as a practical matter, if you want more players, it will largely be based on word of mouth as people get friends and such into the game.

June 19, 2009 10:31:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i use this - http://www.demigodthegame.com/opengames.aspx

This link is a relic from the old beta and only shows 1 out of the 8 NAT servers handling connections - so it is very inaccurate.

June 19, 2009 10:41:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice deleting skills

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.