The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Snipe Damage: Who knows the down low?

By on June 16, 2009 8:58:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I never seem to remember to check this in game well enough, but Snipe does base damage and then it does additional damage as it travels.  Is the additional damage static based on range, or is it a percentage of the base damage?  And either way, what numbers are involved.

My guess is that it is a fixed amount (up to 270) based on range, but I could be wrong.  I haven't played a full snipe reg in a while, and was hoping someone had cold hard figures for me.

+57 Karma | 18 Replies
June 16, 2009 9:03:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The additional damage is based on range, but I'm not 100% on the exact numbers. But according to this: http://demigod.wikia.com/wiki/Snipe  it's an extra 50 damage for every 15 yards.

June 16, 2009 9:21:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So a maximum bonus of 300? Okay, about what I was expecting.  Meaning that increases the rank of the skill only increases the base damage by exactly the amount shown in tooltip. Max range level 4 snipe is worth 1000 damage.

I'll have to test against these numbers and see how it looks.

Thanks!

June 16, 2009 11:43:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It can go up to 1100ish because of the cast time and target moving further away than max range. There is also the teleport.

June 17, 2009 1:05:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is there a limit?  If someone portals all the way across mandala after being targetted near the edge, will the snipe do 1500 or something?

June 17, 2009 1:27:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It probably will; however, usually it's not an issue because of the rate of healing at one's crystal.

June 17, 2009 2:51:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's possible to snipe at the teleport, but it is extremely unlikely, and at that HP they probably should just be shot with a bolt anyway.

June 17, 2009 7:49:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

local Projectile = import('/lua/sim/Projectile.lua').Projectile
local Buff = import('/lua/sim/buff.lua')

Bolt02 = Class(Projectile) {
    OnImpact = function(self, targetType, targetEntity)
        if(targetType == 'Unit' and targetEntity) then
            local launcher = self:GetLauncher()
            if(launcher and launcher:IsDead()) then
                launcher = targetEntity
            end

# Determine Snipe's damage boost, depending on distance traveled
            # Currently: Damage +10 for every 3 traveled
            local damageperrange = 10
            local rangeblock = 3
            local targpos = table.copy(targetEntity:GetPosition())
            local launcherpos = self.DamageData.LauncherPosition
            local targetdist = VDist2(launcherpos[1], launcherpos[3], targpos[1], targpos[3])
            local damageBuff = math.floor(targetdist/rangeblock)           
            self.DamageData.Amount = self.DamageData.Amount + (damageBuff * damageperrange)

if self.DamageData.Buff then
                Buff.ApplyBuff(targetEntity, self.DamageData.Buff, self.DamageData.Instigator)
            end

end
        Projectile.OnImpact(self, targetType, targetEntity)
    end,
}
TypeClass = Bolt02

10 damage every 3 yards.

June 17, 2009 12:57:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm, I see we've broken out the code here. (How do you do that anyway?)

10 every 3 yards is 50 every 15, so looks like our guess is correct.  And yeah, there is no cap so moving away will increase the damage dealt.

Oh, and it is completely worth it to snipe someone who is teleporting away.  Even if they get the teleport off... humans do not always teleport directly to the crystal, and even then, the healing crystal may not heal them enough.

June 17, 2009 7:59:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, Demigod's code is so clean...

June 30, 2009 7:12:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,
Hmm, I see we've broken out the code here. (How do you do that anyway?)

10 every 3 yards is 50 every 15, so looks like our guess is correct.  And yeah, there is no cap so moving away will increase the damage dealt.

Oh, and it is completely worth it to snipe someone who is teleporting away.  Even if they get the teleport off... humans do not always teleport directly to the crystal, and even then, the healing crystal may not heal them enough.

Actually moving away doesn't change the damage as far as I have seen. The damage seems to be locked in at a max of 1000.

June 30, 2009 1:12:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doesn't seem to be reflected in the code you posted, but some cap may exist outside the function you posted.

Also, it looks like the code allows for snipe to take any on hit damage buffs with it.  That seems consistent with my memory (You can get maimed by a snipe from regulus). It does suddenly make me wonder if things like Gloves of Fel Darkur or wyrmskin gloves can proc on a snipe.  That'd be cool:

if self.DamageData.Buff then
                Buff.ApplyBuff(targetEntity, self.DamageData.Buff, self.DamageData.Instigator)

July 2, 2009 3:59:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,
Also, it looks like the code allows for snipe to take any on hit damage buffs with it.  That seems consistent with my memory (You can get maimed by a snipe from regulus). It does suddenly make me wonder if things like Gloves of Fel Darkur or wyrmskin gloves can proc on a snipe. 

Stupid Reg, aim for the head!

I don't think item-effects proc, cuz it'd be crazy to get a crit snipe.

July 2, 2009 4:10:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,
Doesn't seem to be reflected in the code you posted, but some cap may exist outside the function you posted.

The cap would be Snipe's range limit. Snipe's range is 90 yards. Since it gains an extra 50 damage for every 15 yards the max damage Snipe can do is 1000 at rank IV.

July 2, 2009 6:42:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, the thing is, that the range dictates when you can activate the ability.  Depending on when this code is run (And it looks like it should be done at point of firing) then someone can move outside of your range in the two seconds while you fire. Since this code itself has no cap, then the damage could be greater.

The interesting part here is that if this is executed when the ability is targeted, not after the casting time, then that means that 'running towards' a regulus who is sniping you doesn't actually decrease the damage, which is the common thinking process on it.

Should be pretty easy to test if you have an ally on the other team.  Do one snipe at max range (Walk a little before shot) and then do a second test at max range where the target walks away as soon as they are targeted.  If damage goes up, then yes, hitting someone who teleports can indeed do major extra damage.

July 2, 2009 6:55:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're right, it's unclear if the range bonus for Snipe is determined when you target someone or after it actually hits. If it's the former then the limit is 1000 damage, but if it's the later the potential damage could be nearly twice that on larger maps.

I'll try testing it in single player, although I doubt I'll get favorable results with the AI.

July 2, 2009 11:22:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

At max proc range maxed Snipe does 1000 damage, but it isn't capped.  So if you start channelling the snipe at max range and your enemy moves or ports even further away the damage continues to stack.  I think the most I've seen was 1100, but I'm sure I've sniped for more than that through Fog of War...

Item damage effects do not proc on Snipe, at least crits don't, AFAIK.   (Equip Ashkandor for 4000 hitpoint snipes?  They would have closed that loophole long ago, surely?)

July 3, 2009 1:41:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think crit procs WOULD effect it, but rather that things that apply buffs would. I think that's what that bit of code I wrote did. Simple to test though, are sniped targets maimed?

July 3, 2009 2:00:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zechnophobe,
I don't think crit procs WOULD effect it, but rather that things that apply buffs would. I think that's what that bit of code I wrote did. Simple to test though, are sniped targets maimed?

Yes, but it seems to not last as long.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.