The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Bringing Elemental style modding into Demigod

By on June 16, 2009 8:19:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

One of the conclusions both Stardock and Gas Powered Games have come to is that modding is going to be absolutely key for Demigod’s long-term success. To that end, we have been trying to come up with a way to do modding in such a way that, to be candid, doesn’t involve a massive amount of work just for Demigod.

The solution, it seems, may come from the modding support we’re building into Impulse that was originally scheduled to debut with Elemental. This wouldn’t be the first time that a feature being developed for Elemental has found its way into Demigod. The in-game Friends stuff in Demigod may seem a little weak because it was originally intended to show up a year later for Elemental but was decided it needed to be available in some basic form in Demigod.

So how would these mods work?

Basically, users would control what mods they want to use via in-game overlay.  Then, when someone hosts a custom game, it would automatically download whatever mods were needed and enable them when a person joined the game.  The mods would be hosted and moderated by Demigodthegame.com and would support basically anything cool that people wanted to make.

So when would this show up? Well, right now GPG is putting the finishing touches on Demigod v1.1.  So this wouldn’t show up until at least v1.2 which would be sometime this Summer.

Hopefully this will definitively answer the question: Will Demigod support modding? The answer, it seems is yes.

+897 Karma | 51 Replies
June 16, 2009 8:33:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good.

June 16, 2009 8:35:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love you.

June 16, 2009 8:46:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Which should've been inherently built in given the basis that Demigod is based on a mod for a game...

June 16, 2009 8:47:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you, this will definently help Demigod's comunity!

June 16, 2009 9:06:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Map edit?

June 16, 2009 9:12:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will Demigod support modding? The answer, it seems is yes.

June 16, 2009 9:31:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good work - can you give any approximate details as to what kind of things could be changed/modified? Is it just stats/placement of things or could say someone step right in and possibly create their own art/models etc?

Bring on a version of the dota map imo!

June 16, 2009 9:58:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome,  long live Demigod.   time to lock this thread up.

June 16, 2009 10:13:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CaesarsGhost,
Which should've been inherently built in given the basis that Demigod is based on a mod for a game...

I don't see how Demigod's inspiration has any effect on how mod content should be handled. The fact that we're getting offical mod support with an easy to use interface that automatically shares whats needed should make you happy. Stop complaining, or go back to the 'mod'.

June 16, 2009 10:36:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, YES, YES!

Thank you guys so much, autodownload for the win!!!

June 16, 2009 10:36:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very good news to hear

June 16, 2009 11:48:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This sounds like perfection, thanks a ton frogboy, this made my night.

June 16, 2009 11:50:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

June 16, 2009 11:53:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome, I've been itchin to make new maps for the game.

June 17, 2009 12:08:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cheers!

June 17, 2009 12:20:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I would say that I just became a fan of Stardock, but I already was..  

June 17, 2009 12:43:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm concerned that this would fracture the game community. People want certain mods, and certain people don't want mods.

The other thing we need to make sure of is to make sure that the mods have a very detailed description of what they actually do and which are enabled in the game. There shouldn't be any confusion about what is going to happen after the game starts. Hopefully, this will be easier if Stardock is the group that is hosting the mods, but please make this as a part of the implementation.

June 17, 2009 1:13:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, are we going to get a gr2 exporter along the lines of what Obsidian gave out so that modders can create new meshes and load them as levels? Mod support is great, but if we can't create content the mods will consist almost entirely of rule changes...

If yes, I can stop digging around for some way to do it myself. This would make me happy.

June 17, 2009 1:20:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ferazel,
I'm concerned that this would fracture the game community. People want certain mods, and certain people don't want mods.

I'm pretty sure that mods will be mostly used in custom matches. My guess anyways.

June 17, 2009 1:47:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds excellent - really looking forward to this addition, hopefully in the lobby it would show what mods had been included with the host.

Map editing would also be great to give more maps

June 17, 2009 1:54:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This would be a very interesting development, to say the least.

June 17, 2009 3:05:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

God Like!

June 17, 2009 3:15:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

UI mods need to be separate from game rules/content mods.  They are a personal preference and absolutely must not be handled in the posted manner.

June 17, 2009 3:36:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I assume all mods will be checked before being added to demigodthegame.com and they have to be on demigodthegame.com to get them ingame, to stop people doing anything nasty.

June 17, 2009 3:40:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was commenting on mods chosen by game creator, auto downloaded and activated.  This will not work for UI mods.

I don't mind all mods being certified and for example signed by demigodthegame.com and that being the only source of them.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.