The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

20% Coupons suck

By on June 15, 2009 1:39:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How about a real coupon with like a month expiration or maybe one that expires on the 15th that you can use on the 15th

+12 Karma | 72 Replies
June 15, 2009 1:44:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Or, you know, you can realize that you screwed up and missed the deadline and if you should be pissed at anyone it's yourself.

June 15, 2009 1:47:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They gave out coupons? Cool, I didn't even get one, spent extra on their collectors edition, and paid too much for shipping.

June 15, 2009 1:54:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe someone just got back from vacation and a 3 day coupon is crap if your base doesn't have time to use it well I still want my collectors items and while your at it how about my $5 more I paid for the game last april back also!!!!

June 15, 2009 1:57:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

3 day coupons are bs

June 15, 2009 1:59:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd have to agree, a 48 hour coupon is almost worthless. While I don't want to complain about something positive (and cost me no money), it seems pointless to have it expire in just 48 hours (and having the expiration date incorrect, as "expires by 6/15/09" usually means that 6/15/09 is also included in the time given). I had wanted to use it today (the 15th) since I had a busy weekend without any way to research which game(s) I wanted to get, but apparently I can't now, and will likely not get any games at all.

June 15, 2009 2:00:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can live with the 3 days but the coupons don't work with PayPal which makes them completely worthless to me. Well, I lose a 20%  bonus but Stardock loses 100% of the money they could have made...

June 15, 2009 2:00:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There was a deadline?  Well... crap, missed that.

June 15, 2009 2:03:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I said this in another coupon thread. But I agree with Horse on this one (and trust me, I love Stardock). While I appreciate the coupons (thank you Stardock) the 3 day window is unnaturally short. I expect that kind of thing from the Steam folks. But from Stardock it just seems to go against their nature. From Stardock I would have expected something more along the lines of no expiration or a month long window or something MUCH longer than 3 days. Just makes it hard for the folks who weren't able to check their email until too late or at the last minute. Or those who need a bit of time to justify the expense to their significant other. And so on.

To sum up: Coupons = GOOD. Short window in which to use them = BAD.

If they just HAVE to only go 3 days for business/financial reasons I guess I can live with that but I DO wish they would extend these coupon windows.

June 15, 2009 2:10:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

with steam, its ok in that they have weekend deals, and label them as such, otherwise they tend to be longer

this was just a coupon with a misleading date. expires on the 15th has usually meant it expires after the 15th, although the current wording makes sense. it's a bit abnormal

June 15, 2009 2:12:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd have to agree, a 48 hour coupon is almost worthless.

I don't know, plenty of people got use out of it. I've learned to always be careful on the last day of something. Everyone always assumes it runs through like 11:59 PM or whatever, and everyone who does sales/coupons does it differently.

One of life's many lessons - and there will be other coupons for frequent Demigod players. You missing the deadline because you decided to postpone it doesn't make it generally worthless, I saved quite a bit of money

And HorseRadish, stop being an ass. They're not responsible for checking if you're on vacation or not when they send them out. Keep playing and you'll get another coupon too.

Edit: The only people who actually have a right to complain about coupons are those who can only use Paypal.

June 15, 2009 2:17:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

And HorseRadish, stop being an ass. They're not responsible for checking if you're on vacation or not when they send them out. Keep playing and you'll get another coupon too.

I prefer the title Troll!!!

And they could have had my $60 bucks!!!

But without coupon software is cheaper elsewhere

June 15, 2009 2:17:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From Stardock I would have expected something more along the lines of no expiration or a month long window or something MUCH longer than 3 days.

If it was a one use one product coupon, sure. But this was a generic 20% off everything in your cart, which I'm pretty sure could be repeated (though I don't think anyone tried). A month for that is a bit much.. no store ever has a 20% off everything sale for a month

June 15, 2009 2:25:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wow annatar, just wow. first off, anyone has a right to complain about this. most customers have been loyal to stardock and pushed through the AWFUL demigod release with promise of first a 50% off demigod coupon then another coupon. then we get the other one and it's available for 3 days.... not every checks their email that often, some did not even recieve it til today or recieve it at all, and those who got screwed over by the wording, well that shouldnt happen. few coupons say expires on 15th and mean it is not usable on the 15th. all they had to say is expires after 14th and it would be clear

they messed up in the eyes of a lot of customers, whether they tried it or not

June 15, 2009 2:26:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

From Stardock I would have expected something more along the lines of no expiration or a month long window or something MUCH longer than 3 days.

If it was a one use one product coupon, sure. But this was a generic 20% off everything in your cart, which I'm pretty sure could be repeated (though I don't think anyone tried). A month for that is a bit much.. no store ever has a 20% off everything sale for a month

Good point. I guess I'm lumping in the 50% Demigod coupon they sent out a couple weeks ago into this whole Coupon thing Stardock has been doing lately. They only gave us a few days with that one too. By the time I got it and sent it to my friend to use, he took too much time getting around to buying it and was unable to use it. I know that's his fault but I wish they had given us more time.

EDIT: Going back through my email I see that they gave us 1 week for the Demigod ones. So, I take back what I said about that.

However, I still wish they would give us more time with the other ones as well.

June 15, 2009 2:30:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A Company offering 20% off - how outrageous...

June 15, 2009 2:34:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,
A Company offering 20% off - how outrageous...

Reread the thread please.

June 15, 2009 2:41:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regardless whether you think it's right or wrong, or how to read the expiration date, etc, the truth remains that Stardock probably lost out on a bunch of money they could have otherwise made, but now they will not make.

This is called a marketing blunder.

June 15, 2009 2:45:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Man people are never happy.

Thanks for the coupon SD. Got a game and will pick up another if you guys send out more

June 15, 2009 2:50:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I never even received one for some reason .

June 15, 2009 2:59:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

If it was a one use one product coupon, sure. But this was a generic 20% off everything in your cart, which I'm pretty sure could be repeated (though I don't think anyone tried).

I tried...and succeeded.  I bought Sots Ultimate, preordered Elemental+Sots ANY.  Then the next day I bought Light of Altair + Twilight of Arnor.  So I got my $$ worth out of the coupon.  Almost paid for the cost of DG when the dust settles.

June 15, 2009 3:33:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nobalkain,
 Man people are never happy.

Amen to that!  As someone who has worked with customers for years I know what that's like.

Though I do agree that an "expires on 15th" means the last day you can USE it should be the 15th.

Maybe if before they send the actual coupon out, like a few days to a week before, they could send out an e-mail saying it's coming up.  Give some people time to prepare?  If they did that, then I'm missing the point entirely.

June 15, 2009 3:35:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For those of us that get paid on the 15th/30th of the month, having this coupon expire on payday is rather... Suck.

-- Tukulis

June 15, 2009 3:59:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Colonel_Jessep,
I can live with the 3 days but the coupons don't work with PayPal which makes them completely worthless to me. Well, I lose a 20%  bonus but Stardock loses 100% of the money they could have made...

Companies like Stardock already take a hit by even allowing Paypal as a way to purchase their product.  They have to pay a percentage of the sale to Paypal.  So, in essence, you're the on who's making the decision.  Do you want 20% of your sale purchase to go to Paypal or to be in your pocket?

Quoting Tukulis,
For those of us that get paid on the 15th/30th of the month, having this coupon expire on payday is rather... Suck.

-- Tukulis

Maybe you should balance your budget well enough so that you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck.

Now, I'm going to go play some Prototype that I got for only $38 thanks to the awesome coupon that Stardock e-mailed me.

June 15, 2009 4:12:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Meta,

Now, I'm going to go play some Prototype that I got for only $38 thanks to the awesome coupon that Stardock e-mailed me.  Later suckers!

You and me both. I'm loving Prototype so far.

June 15, 2009 4:22:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Meta,

Quoting Colonel_Jessep, reply 6I can live with the 3 days but the coupons don't work with PayPal which makes them completely worthless to me. Well, I lose a 20%  bonus but Stardock loses 100% of the money they could have made...
Companies like Stardock already take a hit by even allowing Paypal as a way to purchase their product.  They have to pay a percentage of the sale to Paypal.  So, in essence, you're the on who's making the decision.  Do you want 20% of your sale purchase to go to Paypal or to be in your pocket?
I live in Europe, cradit cards are not common here. If I wanted to get one I'd have to change my bank or pay more for it. Stardock has a lot of customers in the EU, it might make sense to come up with another solution. Besides, except for a few games from Stardock I can buy cheaper elsewhere - unless I have a coupon. As I said, 20% bonus loss for me, 100% loss for Stardock...

I really would like to support Stardock but I won't spend more money to do it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.