The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

For everyone who is complaining about no tutorial!

By on June 15, 2009 11:52:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have made an awesome quick tutorial for you guys. I cant believe myself that Stardock/GPG havent included one for this game - its a joke! How are we meant to learn how to play it?

• Click to move your Demigod. You can select him by clicking him.
  • When you kill anything - except for minions - you get money and experience (except from towers).
  • Items cost gold. To buy them, visit the shop and click on the item you want. If you have enough gold, you will recieve it and get the bonuses stated in its description
  • To buy citadel upgrades, click the citadel and click an upgrade you want. The numbers up top which are labelled 1-10 represent your War Rank.
  • Gold mines give you gold.
  • More flags mean a higher war score.
  • To use an ability, click it.

Hope this helped everyone who has been complaining and flaming GPG and Stardock (who are the publishers, not makers of the game btw) for not including a tutorial in this deep, complex game. There are also a ton of guides found around this site - but a tutorial would be much better!

Hope this helps the reviewers at Gamespot too!

The Bad

• Major online connectivity problems  
  • No tutorial or story-based campaign  
  • Only eight arenas.
+26 Karma | 15 Replies
June 15, 2009 11:59:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't die.

June 15, 2009 12:10:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

dgl-dazk, are you the same as dalzk?

June 15, 2009 12:16:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
  • When you kill anything - except for minions - you get money and experience (except from towers).

Untrue, Towers are woth 300 GP each.

June 15, 2009 12:23:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting woca,
dgl-dazk, are you the same as dalzk?
I guess he's his evil twin...

Quickguides to two maps can be found here.

June 15, 2009 1:31:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
  • Holding CTRL makes you only target Demigods.
  • Holding ALT makes you move aggressively.
  • Towers hurt,  especially early game, try not to get into range of more than one at a time.
  • Clicking the slot to the to the right of consumables opens the favor item menu. Once you choose a favor item you cannot change it for the entire match. Once you buy a favor item it is free to choose from then on.
  • You earn favor by completing matches, online and offline favor is seperate. You get 75 favor for winning, and 10 for losing. There are also bonuses of 15 favor points for : Doing the most damage, getting the most kills, getting the largest kill streak before dieing, having the least deaths, destroying the most structures, getting the most assists, buying the most citadel upgrades and finally for getting the most gold.
June 15, 2009 1:40:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have made an awesome quick tutorial for you guys. I cant believe myself that Stardock/GPG havent included one for this game - its a joke! How are we meant to learn how to play it?

Click to move your Demigod. You can select him by clicking him.
When you kill anything - except for minions - you get money and experience (except from towers).
Items cost gold. To buy them, visit the shop and click on the item you want. If you have enough gold, you will recieve it and get the bonuses stated in its description
To buy citadel upgrades, click the citadel and click an upgrade you want. The numbers up top which are labelled 1-10 represent your War Rank.
Gold mines give you gold.
More flags mean a higher war score.
To use an ability, click it.
Hope this helped everyone who has been complaining and flaming GPG and Stardock (who are the publishers, not makers of the game btw) for not including a tutorial in this deep, complex game. There are also a ton of guides found around this site - but a tutorial would be much better!

Hope this helps the reviewers at Gamespot too!

The Bad

Major online connectivity problems  
No tutorial or story-based campaign  
Only eight arenas.

Great another noob tutorial who is this Dalzk anyway

June 15, 2009 3:15:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha i just realized you can change name that appears

June 15, 2009 5:04:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I honestly believe several of you have missed the sarcasm that I detect in the OP's post.

June 15, 2009 5:30:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shadow_Avenger,
I honestly believe several of you have missed the sarcasm that I detect in the OP's post.

Dalzk is my ESL teammate I didn't miss anything

June 15, 2009 8:12:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The problem isnt the obvious - i mean selecting a demigod and clicking to move, nice one, even my cat worked that out.

The problem is describing the gameplay to someone not familar with DOTA. At a glance it can be confusing and not overly intuitive to work out how it works - ie utilising your own creeps vs theirs etc.

This thread fails.

June 15, 2009 8:32:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Deepjay,
i mean selecting a demigod and clicking to move, nice one, even my cat worked that out.

I would like to see that.

June 18, 2009 10:17:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The problem is describing the gameplay to someone not familar with DOTA. At a glance it can be confusing and not overly intuitive to work out how it works - ie utilising your own creeps vs theirs etc.

if you just take your time to play a game or two and you still dont understand how the game works then you are fail.

June 19, 2009 6:29:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

some part of me agrees because I'm an intuitive player too,

but I must also defend those who simply aren't getting the gist of a game all by themselves

and need guides instead...

June 21, 2009 4:08:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some of the important features need to be told imo.  For example, how can we capture the flag??  If you walk up to the flag it will just spin if there're no enemy demis around and the capture bar take a while to appear.  And where can i buy items?  where's the artifact shop? What are those look like?  Oh we can upgrade at citadel? Oh we need to walk up to citadel to access it? Well there're just too many questions for new players and i understand the feeling of not knowing everything and getting called noobs.

June 21, 2009 5:40:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting dgl-DalzK,

if you just take your time to play a game or two and you still dont understand how the game works then you are fail.

Your comment reminds me of those "I'm rubber, you're glue" playground insults.

The game may be obvious to you, as well as many other people who have played DoTA.  However, for those that don't, there's a lot of things in this genre that aren't immediately apparent. 

From a high level point of view, noobs have no chance of knowing the following:

-tradeoff between increasing damage/attack speed, versus health/armor

-how to flag lock

-importance of citadel upgrades

-the massive penalty of dying

-team synergies

-I can go on and list more, but you probably get teh point by now.

I've met so many people online on both my team and the enemy team who had no concept of these things.  Needless to say, the game was basically ruined so they played worse than AI.

At the very least, a tutorial would help bring the skill level floor up a bit.  It would help make noobs not so nooby.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001609   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.