The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

No Tutorial? REALLY???

By on June 15, 2009 7:37:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is this really that bad of a game that nobody took the time to create a tutorial for it?  Or did I miss something when I logged in and it took me straight into a game with moving troops and stuff when I have no idea how to control them or what to do?

It's not the 90's anymore.. tutorials are pretty much standard in decent games.

So I ask again.. is this really such a crap game they couldn't take the time for a tutorial?

0 Karma | 18 Replies
June 15, 2009 8:14:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This game doesn´t need a tutorial. Controls are standard fare, and skill descriptions /item descriptions /unit hover descriptions explain the rest. But some of the skill descriptions could do with a makeover, a little more detail.

You have to be really dumb not to understand most stuff after an hours worth of trial and error even if you are a n00b, which is the same time tutorials usually take.

Tutorials is just a  waste of time. But maybe you´re one of those guys that need a tutorial to get up from bed, or to make a sandwhich?

June 15, 2009 8:23:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No theres no tutorial , but theres a manual at least , you know the thing you threw away when you tear the box with your teeth, paper thing with stuff on it.

I must be a genius i could handle the game under 2 min or so without even reading it, maybe its the interface very similar to diablo with health bar and mana bar, very standard ,  the big icons  that are your powers, a skill tree similar to diablo or wow . I also saw big flags ont he map since its a rts i figured i had to capture them to win.Oh buildings , maybe i have to destroy them.

If you need a tutorial for this, please make us a favor dont go in multiplayer.

June 15, 2009 8:40:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If he had only asked nicely...

June 15, 2009 8:48:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, is it me, or does no one read the manual at all? There is a section on learning the basics in there, which is all you need to get started in single player. Then you can learn control a bit better, and finally graduate into multiplayer, where you will do the most learning. You took the time to make a stupid post, now take the time to read the manual.

June 15, 2009 8:49:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well everyone will claim how brilliant they are and how they don't need a tutorial. For many people that may be true, but for the game and community as a whole a tutorial would have been a nice touch.

Sadly there is no tutorial, but take a look at the manual and play some single player and you will pick it up quickly.

June 15, 2009 9:06:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm brilliant!

I learned to play without tutorial!

We people of the 90's are  superior to the younger generation!

June 15, 2009 9:19:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We people of the 90's are superior to the younger generation!

Indeed. I never do the tutorial, in games that have them, simply because i grew up without them. Seems this is making you smarter later in life? Since i understand stuff quicker and better than people that need handholding to do anything.

No Tutorial FTW

June 15, 2009 10:45:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well everyone will claim how brilliant they are and how they don't need a tutorial. For many people that may be true, but for the game and community as a whole a tutorial would have been a nice touch.

Sadly there is no tutorial, but take a look at the manual and play some single player and you will pick it up quickly.

___

Totally agree. For people who have downloaded Demigod via Impulse the manual will probably be in C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\DemigodManual.pdf btw. It's probably the same for others aswell.

June 15, 2009 10:47:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aroddo,
I'm brilliant!

I learned to play without tutorial!

We people of the 90's are  superior to the younger generation!

It really feel so, can only feel superior to those swearing kids with attention disroders.  Last time time i tried retro gaming i couldnt believe how hard and complex the games were compare to pre digested stuff we get today, and that on a single floppy disk. Demi god interface is a wonder of conviviality and simplicity. 

June 15, 2009 11:35:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LOL.  Team Fortress 2 doesn't include a Tutorial. Left 4 dead doesn't have a tutorail.  Does this game need one because it's third person?

June 15, 2009 11:54:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A tutorial is completely UNneccessary in this game and here's why:

Everyone knows what HP and Mana are and do.
Everyone knows how to look at tooltips and select abilities and items.
Everyone knows how to click their mouse buttons, so a few right-clicks and left-clicks tell you exactly what they do.
Everyone knows how to work the scroll wheel on their mouse.
Everyone knows how to use their keyboard and the first buttons they ALWAYS try are WASD. Also, the abilities are tagged with what key you use them with.
Everyone knows to play around with the single player portion of a game before you go multiplayer. It's just common sense. And even one single player game will provide you with the basics of what the Crystal things do, what's in your Citadel, what's in the item shop and how to place items, what's the Artifact shop.
Everyone knows how to get into the Options of a game to look at Keybindings.

The rest is just discovering the right builds for your gameplay for each Demigod and that is totally up to the player. A tutorial would not teach you which is right or wrong because there is no right or wrong build.

In actuality you've already been provided with a very good tutorial in Demigod. It's called Single Player Skirmish mode. Have fun.

June 15, 2009 11:58:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

scallawag may actually be a troll... and here we are all feeding the troll  

June 15, 2009 12:00:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wait, I had a tutorial for Prison somewhere...

Personaly I prefer Cataract though because it has much more strategic depth:

June 15, 2009 12:10:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rofl.

June 15, 2009 12:21:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

rofl

June 18, 2009 10:18:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hahaha, great tutorial.

but you also have to explain how to control your demigod:

1. press 1 for skill 1
  2. press 2 for skill 2
  3. press 3 for skill 3
  4. press 4 for skill 4
  5. Use mouse
  6. press CTRL-ALT-F4 to enable cheat mode.

June 18, 2009 10:37:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i just discovered specialized favor items after like 20 games 

they should include some kind of tutorial. 

as for reading the manual lets be honest when was the last time a game came with a manual that was useful?  Homeworld last I recall so I have been ignoring manuals for years now.  I would love for games to have useful manuals again.

June 19, 2009 6:13:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

last manual i read was of warcraft 2, and that only because of chris metzens great artwork,

and the epic background story on Gul'dan etc

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.