The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Fixing Rage Quits The Quick and Dirty

Save this game before it dies....(they finally got networking ....working.... :) )

By on June 14, 2009 9:46:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So..I know I have been guilty of rage quiting from time to time..as I'm sure a few of know, typically If i know the game is a loss I will quit..and won't feel too bad about my decision...but I'm starting to see a crap load of people quiting when the games outcome is not a given...and that ...pisses me off...

My proposal is for fixing rage/quiting is lets be draconian about it.....

1) User Quits after first 3 minutes or before the last 3 minutes of the game: 60 Minute ban from any online game. (favor for that game obviously is not awarded..in fact I would suggest all Favor items for this player is not usable for 48 hours...even if they join a game with favor items.)

2) Creation of Auto Ban List: 7 Day user X is banned from any game I create should they quit the game after 3 minutes or before the last 3 minutes of the game. However enable the 'host' to remove people from the auto-ban list after the game...for example: if the lag when to crap...the 2nd user from a team quit..i.e usually after the first rage quit..the game is over..the other quites..do not deserve to rage quit punishment..)

a) To be more precise on autoban: If a game has autoban enabled, the following should happen

i) A user that quits prematurely will be banned for 7 days from the user that created game.

ii) the user if they quit prematurely will be added to the autoban list. (reset after 7 days (per user)).

iii) At the end of the game the host can edit (remove) users from the autoban list as they feel fit. (i.e. if user quits after the game had a clear outcome or lag became un-acceptable..I will remove them..as this is not a rage quit...)

I feel without these or similar changes made soon..this game will infact die...I know my play rate has dropped off dramicatly as 80% of games end with rage quits...(and yes sometimes it me.....AND I deserve to be punished in this way....naturally I won't rage quit if I know..this is the punishment..and i Lose connection..my tuff luck...)...but yes this autoban logic must not kick in until 3 minutes..or something like that...perhaps all users have hit level 3/4 or something..like that rather then time (either solution is not perfect..but its way better then letting the game die).

AND WE NEED NEW MAPS (and some balancing)!!!!!! (ASAP)

Cheers (my 0.02)

Dano (igore my grammatical handy caps..I have quite a few..(I write code))

Addendum:

Yes if the user loses connection after the first 3 minutes, and before the last 3 minutes of the game..as far I as I am concerned the game is loss for players involved...as such they same rules should apply.... 

IF YOU DONT HAVE A STABLE CONNECTION U SHOULD PAY (as we with stable connections are paying the penantly now..) ..if the game crashes on U, U will pay (even though stabilty is getting to point where this shoudl not be big ordeal) ..etc..etc.. (1 person

leaving game ruins the game).  AGAIN STARDOC..u gotta do something soon..or this game is done...(not I'm not bashing the game..its a great game...)

Addendum 2: (team balancing (custom Games -- seeing as pantheon is dead))

One way to potentaily decrease rage quites..IMHO...Is to enable random team assignments..I.e. when I  create a custom game I should be abe to flag the game:

(X) Random team assignment: meaning when a user joins they are locked to team (and it should be random not top to bottom)..this will insure no premades in that games with this option.

OR..

(X) Skill Assignment: meaning assign people based on skill..perhaps by: 'record' or games played (insuring the teams are more or less equal in skill level)...AGAIN they will have to be locked to team..(this enabled them to 'intellegently' decide which demigod to play based on what the other team as..in fact we  could enable 'blind' where u cant see the other teams demigods until the game starts)..options.....options...options...(glad I'm not u guys).

Or..Today

(X) Anything goes..

+1 Karma | 19 Replies
June 14, 2009 9:54:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome ideas man! I mean a paying customer should do EXACTLY what the majority wants. If they don't like it FUCK THEM they can leave the game we don't need them and stardock doesn't need their money. Hell the game should come FREE with a set of rules taht you have to follow or stardock come to your house and trounce you adn smash your kneecaps.

/sarcasm

Any more awesome wizdom?

We need less forum posters. ASAP!!!!11!!1!lol

June 14, 2009 10:04:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have a feeling this game is going to become a dictatorship where SD sends out the Anti Ragequit Force to execute people who leave early with a bloody ban-hammer, just because they don't feel like getting roflstomped for 10 minutes.

All because people can't get over ragequitting.....

June 14, 2009 10:12:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JagerJack,
I have a feeling this game is going to become a dictatorship where SD sends out the Anti Ragequit Force to execute people who leave early with a bloody ban-hammer, just because they don't feel like getting roflstomped for 10 minutes.

rage quitting is slightly annoying but it's not the end of days.

June 14, 2009 10:17:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes rage quitting is fine, I don't understand why the other 7 people left in the game are phased when one person has a tanty and bails on them, effectively ruining the game; unless you count having one team with a stupid, farmable ai, a GG.

June 14, 2009 10:25:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IF YOU DONT HAVE A STABLE CONNECTION U SHOULD PAY

Anything meaningful you wrote was defeated by this single line. People should not be punished for factors outside of their control, and people should not be punished by individual players. If your unhappy with someone, add them to your personal Ignore list (once it's implemented). We don't need auto-ban lists or anything else.

June 14, 2009 10:27:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Deepjay,
Yes rage quitting is fine, I don't understand why the other 7 people left in the game are phased when one person has a tanty and bails on them, effectively ruining the game; unless you count having one team with a stupid, farmable ai, a GG.

Does this really happen to you often deep? I've had 2 rage quitters in the last 3 weeks. Maybe you should just play with people you know (come play with me). On top of that a person only RQ's from a game i host once... after that it's insta-kick. Yes you Lashiec.

June 14, 2009 10:45:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

People should not be punished for factors outside of their control

I wouldn't say a bad connection is out of their control, maybe they should get a better ISP?

June 14, 2009 10:52:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My list is getting rather long. Although that may be more to do with people with low sim speed and crap connections. Most AU/NZ games tend to run to completion, I think we have a pretty good little community happening tbh.

June 14, 2009 10:57:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No it doesnt happen EVERY game, but it does happen enough that i try and take note of the leaver as whatever their reason, if they have quit for a rage related reason (the usual case) then i will make every effort to disclude them from games going forward.

And yeah it is a benefit to have a smaller community, it isnt so easy to hide.

One interesting thing though - I played several games last night WITH Lashiec and he was fine - i guess we all have different views of the same people. Another regular dropped the other day(which did surprise me) and pissed me off as i thought it was a RQ, but turns out his DSL was flakey and well yeah.

I would hope at the very least those active regulars in our community have the decency not to piss off when they have been ganked a few times. Games can sometimes be difficult to organise, what with every Euro in Europe being attracted to the word AUSSIE GAME like flies to sh1t and yeah.

June 14, 2009 11:25:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

quoting postIF YOU DONT HAVE A STABLE CONNECTION U SHOULD PAY
Anything meaningful you wrote was defeated by this single line. People should not be punished for factors outside of their control, and people should not be punished by individual players. If your unhappy with someone, add them to your personal Ignore list (once it's implemented). We don't need auto-ban lists or anything else.

umm..ur kidding NOT IN UR CONTROL..by definition..u 'own' your network connection..(NO NOT literally)..but u can determine if its not stable..if u get disconnected a lot, or ur ping sky rockets..a lot..then I don't want you in my game....sorry..but that is IN our control regardless of what you claim...You have the following options..

1) GET A NEW ISP

2) call your isp and bitch (it worked for me)

3) Dont play the game online.. (remember ur 1 person with a shite connection..don't ruin it for the rest us..thank you)

** WE WILL BE HAPPY IF YOU DO ANY OF THE ABOVE.

June 14, 2009 11:41:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Deepjay,
No it doesnt happen EVERY game, but it does happen enough that i try and take note of the leaver as whatever their reason, if they have quit for a rage related reason (the usual case) then i will make every effort to disclude them from games going forward.

And yeah it is a benefit to have a smaller community, it isnt so easy to hide.

One interesting thing though - I played several games last night WITH Lashiec and he was fine - i guess we all have different views of the same people. Another regular dropped the other day(which did surprise me) and pissed me off as i thought it was a RQ, but turns out his DSL was flakey and well yeah.

I would hope at the very least those active regulars in our community have the decency not to piss off when they have been ganked a few times. Games can sometimes be difficult to organise, what with every Euro in Europe being attracted to the word AUSSIE GAME like flies to sh1t and yeah.

Yeah I've played with Lash befoer as well and he was fine but last night he was going off for no reason, Digi and I when on the same team have lost maybe 1 or 2 games out of maybe 20? We didn't appreciate some guy raging at us telling us what to do and which skills to get etc.

Unless Lash PM's me to apologize for beign needlessly rude he's not welcome in my games.

As I said, it's nice having a small community and I try to befriend all the aussie gamers, this kind of behaviour is totally uncalled for though.

June 14, 2009 11:51:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

if that's goes on i want my money back...

would you like to be ban because you lost electricity during a match.

June 15, 2009 4:27:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting danomanox,
umm..ur kidding NOT IN UR CONTROL..by definition..u 'own' your network connection..(NO NOT literally)..but u can determine if its not stable..if u get disconnected a lot, or ur ping sky rockets..a lot..then I don't want you in my game....sorry..but that is IN our control regardless of what you claim...You have the following options..

1) GET A NEW ISP

2) call your isp and bitch (it worked for me)

3) Dont play the game online.. (remember ur 1 person with a shite connection..don't ruin it for the rest us..thank you)

** WE WILL BE HAPPY IF YOU DO ANY OF THE ABOVE.

Most people with 'unstable' internet connections are limited in their ISP choices; we've covered this a few times on this forum with all of the connection issue threads that people have made. Some people experience an 'unstable' connection only in Demigod and require thorough testing to determine the cause of the issue.

However, you seem to lack basic human understanding and have appear to have the attitude that if it's bad for you it should be removed from existence. I hope we never play a game together. Also, please don't use the word WE. You have neither the social nor language skills to speak for others.

June 15, 2009 4:44:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just a shot in the dark here, but I would guess SD wants more people to play their game, not less.  Intentionally shrinking the community probably isn't at the top of their to do list.

June 15, 2009 4:47:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Feel the love in the community.

June 15, 2009 5:20:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

W

Quoting JagerJack,

What you and so many other seem not to understand is that us who are against ragequit want to be able to play with other people sharing the same concern.

You can play with your rage quitter friends and have all your game wasted after 5 min, i want to be able to play with people who do not rage quit.

K

June 15, 2009 5:35:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And as I sit and type this post, 5 minutes ago my connection decided to blink out for 8 seconds. apparently this is enoguh to drop the game. (I thought it was 30 seconds?)

The rela kicker was that the second everyone became AI, my modem started working again. Sigh. Thank you comcast. It's only the second time it's done it but it's no less frustrating.

Anyways I ost this here in the event that the people in the pantheon game I was just in, a UB/Erebus vs/Sedna Rook, see this, so they know I didn't "ragequit". The circumstances weren't very ragequitty in any case, we'd just trounced a 2v2 encounter, killed both demigods and I crashed while capping the flag.

June 15, 2009 6:28:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting KTV,

W

What you and so many other seem not to understand is that us who are against ragequit want to be able to play with other people sharing the same concern.

You can play with your rage quitter friends and have all your game wasted after 5 min, i want to be able to play with people who do not rage quit.

K

Firstly, I have made it a point of never quitting as long as I have a human ally, because if he has the will to keep fighting a losing battle in hope of a comeback I will too. So calling me a ragequitter just because I have the capacity to think about others is untrue, not to mention childish.

Now what people like you don't understand is that:

1) If your ally ragequits, and you find winning to be impossible, quit the game and look for another one instead of wasting your time. The only thing that takes a hit are your stats, and if you care about those so much that you are willing to punish other players who don't feel like being dominated for half the match then you need to get out more.

2) Play with friends. Or join a clan. Custom games exist for a reason.

Is ragequitting annoying? Yes. But something like this isn't going to solve anything.

June 15, 2009 7:18:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lamest post ever

if U dont like ppl quitting/disconnecting play with friends or play offline, why hold some1 else responsable for your own problems

besides they are going to award people that stay and lose with more favor

and they will probably add a concede vote

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.