The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Map Idea: Castle Top (1v1) (with Pics)

By on June 8, 2009 9:57:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

TheScottish...

Join Date 04/2009
+81

well i said if i got some good feed back form Pit that i would post up another few of these 1v1 duel maps, so here is the first for now (next 2 or 3 can come later).  this map works more with a simple grunts charging into grunts rather than pit with them missing so those opposed to the previous one should like this one.  however since having one bridge going straight between the two is kind of boring (even though 2 of my other maps do just this ) so i've mixed it up abit.... anyway here it is:

Map Idea: Castle Top

Game Type: Everything

# of Players: 2 Players (1v1)

Basic Out Line:

as you can see the Citadels are actually very close to each other.  this disctance would probably be half of Prision, so maybe 30 yards? idk.  either way oits support to be close.  the idea is that there would be a long line of towers protecting the Citadels and dueling DG's would have to between these line with grunts flanking them from bottom/top.

Appearance:

like the name suggests this map is actually on top of a castle.  you can see the round parts on the corners would be Guardhouses and keeps with grunts running along the ramparts between battlements and into the centre which would be the courtyard.  each Citadel sides at either end of the courtyard maybe raised higher to resemble a large keep or castle.

the background would be that of a battlefield with fire and destruction going on in the distance.  perhaps for more aesthetics purposes there could be random trebuchet fire into the the map (not for damage but more for the feel of the battle field).  also maybe smoke could rise from the walls occationaly to block view while on the ramparts... but that sup for discussion.

Grunt Pathing:

like you can see in the pic above the grunts (one wave) exit from the bases o the side and advance around , crossing into the middle to do battle.  if unoppossed the grunts would continue back up the ramparts and into the enemy grunt portal/citadel.  here is gif version:

(EDITED to replies)

We now have an extra wave of grunts going straight across for a bit more of a pinch effect.

the idea for this to really push the battlefield idea with the DG's walking right out of the citadel into the battlefield and having the grunts advance form the side (like they are in crossfire).  obviously with map is made for much more DG v DG action rather than pushing so game modes like Slaughter would work very well on this map.

Flags:

in this next pic you can see the flags are positioned off to the side with one main flag in the centre.  the flags on the side will have the same effect (maybe increase gold income) with the flag in the middle being of a stat/exp bonus type.  this way there is much more competition for the middle flag and the side ones are more for crippling your opponent.

(EDITED to replies)

Also note that the towers might not actually be where they are placed.  i wanted to hear some feedback on how many / how close the towers should be or if there should even be any towers?  so please add you IMO.

Conclusion:

So this is a much more DG killing based Duel map.  with everything focused on getting a "battle field" =feel to it.  always looking for feed back and ways to improve so feel free to comment on thing you like and dislike.  specificly i'd liek to hear about the flags and towers, however i'm also interested in the whole battlefield idea.

thanx for reading...

Locked Post 20 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 8, 2009 10:12:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pretty nice, lets hope for new maps down the road , at least 1-2 more for 2v2 and 3v3.

June 8, 2009 11:05:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks pretty good.  My only problem would be that you have to run through enemy towers in order to access the 3rd flag.  This would make it so that early game the fight would only be over the middle flag, which seems like it might lead to lackluster gameplay at times.

If you removed the forward-most tower from each side I think the gameplay would be a lot more solid.

June 8, 2009 11:34:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another quality map from the Scotsman.

June 9, 2009 4:26:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Meta,
Looks pretty good.  My only problem would be that you have to run through enemy towers in order to access the 3rd flag.  This would make it so that early game the fight would only be over the middle flag, which seems like it might lead to lackluster gameplay at times.

If you removed the forward-most tower from each side I think the gameplay would be a lot more solid.

I agree strongly the game play would improve here if those towers where removed

June 9, 2009 4:40:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another quality map from the Scotsman.

this!

1 lane for 1v1 imo is the best.

only problem, is that there are way too many towers.

June 10, 2009 8:06:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think there will be one problem on this map, which you kind of point out yourself. Looking at the tower placement and grunt pathing it'll probably end up being a xp/gold grind till about level 8, then both parties will leave grunts and their battle for what it is and just try to destroy 1 or 2 towers to get to the enemy base directly. Clearing the grunt path in order to have some destroying power is way too timeconsuming when compared to just taking the short path. I think all game would end up with forgetting whatever the grunts do and just kill enemy DG and damage his citadel till he respawns, rinse and repeat.

I think players would need a bit of extra incentive to help out the grunts in order to have them help in destroying the enemy. Either by making it harder for a DG to get to the enemy citadel, or making it easier to help grunts get through. At the moment you have to destroy 8 towers before grunts get through, you'd only have to destroy 1 or 2 to get there with your DG.

Other than that looks like a cool 1 vs 1 map.

June 10, 2009 8:29:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

very nice map !

its also a nice idea with the "castle backround"

June 10, 2009 8:36:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been looking at the grunt animation again and I had this idea. How about adding an extra grunt group at a later interval, which goes directly towards the enemy base. Then the original grunt path should be made easier (less towers) and the direct path should be made harder (more towers, stronger towers?) as so to equal both paths to take, making both a viable option. The direct path would be quicker and an accompaning DG would be making it a powerful attack, but on the other hand the other grunt path spawns 2 groups of grunts.

If they would be timed right you'd have 3 groups vs 3 groups of grunt meeting at the same time in the middle, which would support your 'battlefield carnage'.

June 10, 2009 10:54:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We really need a good 1v1 map. I'm so waiting for this.

June 10, 2009 11:25:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Honestly, way too many towers in the middle. To attack one of them would be to get hit by a minimum of four, so unless you are Regulus or somebody else with long range attacks, you aren't going to be pushing until level 20.

June 10, 2009 8:46:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thank you for the input.... ii've edited the OP so it includes what you mentioned.  main updates are:

• Less Towers with none leading to the side flags.
  • Added wave of grunts for easier pushes
  • Redone pics and gifs for the above.

let me know if there is anything else 

June 10, 2009 9:56:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting twifightDG,
I've been looking at the grunt animation again and I had this idea. How about adding an extra grunt group at a later interval, which goes directly towards the enemy base. Then the original grunt path should be made easier (less towers) and the direct path should be made harder (more towers, stronger towers?) as so to equal both paths to take, making both a viable option. The direct path would be quicker and an accompaning DG would be making it a powerful attack, but on the other hand the other grunt path spawns 2 groups of grunts.

If they would be timed right you'd have 3 groups vs 3 groups of grunt meeting at the same time in the middle, which would support your 'battlefield carnage'.

This would be vastly unfair for demigods with good AoE like TB. Imagine how much easier it would be for TB to get money/xp from 3v3(grunts) then non-ooze UB, sedna, non-hammerslam rook (since it has been found that tower damage isn't counted as rooks).

June 12, 2009 4:01:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You really make good maps. I'd like to see this!

June 13, 2009 6:26:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I want this map to be implemented!! Its fantastic!!!

June 13, 2009 5:56:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Yourtoast,

Quoting twifightDG,
reply 8

This would be vastly unfair for demigods with good AoE like TB. Imagine how much easier it would be for TB to get money/xp from 3v3(grunts) then non-ooze UB, sedna, non-hammerslam rook (since it has been found that tower damage isn't counted as rooks).

I misunderstood game mechanics a bit. Yes you are right. I thought about it but didn't think it would be a problem, but since game mechanics work different that I thought yes it will be a problem. I don't have a solution for this yet though.

June 13, 2009 6:20:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like this one a lot!!!  Where's the artifact shop???

June 13, 2009 6:40:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
I like this one a lot!!!  Where's the artifact shop???

Probably the games would be too short to need one, but I imagine both shops being behind the citadel, on the edge of the map.

June 13, 2009 10:14:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting twifightDG,

Probably the games would be too short to need one, but I imagine both shops being behind the citadel, on the edge of the map.

I would prefer a center flag art shop.  Also the side shops should have a mine each and be debilitating flag and celerity flag.

June 13, 2009 10:29:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
I would prefer a center flag art shop. 

Why is that?

For me it would not add anything to the fight, as for a 1vs1 map controlling the artifact shop is not that important. Usually it's just the shop you gain, so if you would want to buy an artifact, which doesn't happen often in a 1vs1 game I'd imagine, you'd just cap the flag for a sec, buy the item and not care about it for the rest of the game. So might aswell not have to cap it. Also, if you can put the pressure on the opposing enemy and pin him in his base, he might have 20k to spend but can't actually buy any artifact to even the odds. Now most of you would prefer it like that as you would have a win, I prefer even games for more excitement

June 14, 2009 11:07:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Scottsman have my babies?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: