The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Two gamers on one nat trying to play at the same time changes to really slow ping times

By on June 5, 2009 11:27:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My wife and I are trying to play the game together from behind a single router (A linksys WRT54G).  We have used the impulse reactor options script to change which ports the game will use on both computers and set up the port forwarding on the router to match.

When playing alone, each of us has a smooth experience with low ping times.  However, when we play at the same time, in the same game or not (doesn't matter), the pings go from good (< 100) to really bad (> 600) and back again a lot.  Has anyone else had this problem/suggestions?  Has anyone had success with the same kind of setup?  If so, what router do you use?

Thanks for any help

0 Karma | 17 Replies
June 5, 2009 1:16:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What's the upload speed on your internet connection? Most likely it's just choking when you've got double the data going through.

June 5, 2009 2:50:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Uplaod speed is 768k (10M down over cable).  How much does it need per instance?

June 5, 2009 5:23:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not that much. 768/16 = still enough to play 4v4 or 5v5 I think.

June 7, 2009 12:48:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please confirm your speeds with an image link from http://www.speedtest.net/

Currently have two using a WRT54GL with no such issues.

June 7, 2009 10:30:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We have a same problem. 1 of us get "proxied" connection with some players if we play in 1 game.

June 7, 2009 10:34:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LordBaka,
We have a same problem. 1 of us get "proxied" connection with some players if we play in 1 game.

Have you set impulse reactor option?

Doesn't sound like it to me, so it seems different than OP.

Also the high ping may be causedby spllitting the modest upload and ownload of your line, especially if you have anything else running.

June 7, 2009 10:37:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I`m kinda new in impulse so chould you please tell me what is that "impulse reactor" ?

\Demigod\Bin\ImpulseReactorOptions.exe

This can open ports. Not helps much.

Taked from https://forums.demigodthegame.com/353724

June 7, 2009 11:25:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LordBaka,

This can open ports. Not helps much.

It does not open ports, but rather specifies what ports you want the game to use.  With this you can assign to different ranges to your two different computers so the router doesnot confuse them.

June 10, 2009 10:36:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My wife and I are having the same problem, but worse.  We usually only try and play with a couple friends (never more than 4 players total), and if just one of us plays it works fine.  If we both try and connect, we might get it to work 1-2 games out of 10.  I have disabled "Filter Multicast" and left my wife's PC at the default ports but changed mine to 6133 - 6153, then set up port forwarding on my WRT54G for each port range to the specific static IP address for each of us.  No luck so far, in fact now it is much worse, we havent gotten a single game to work.  I have TWC and a giant pipe, so bandwidth is not an issue.  Since I bought this game for the multiplayer to play with friends and I cannot do that, i feel very cheated.

Stardock, please, let me know what I need to do to fix this.

June 10, 2009 10:43:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

<edit: removed log post>

it wasnt that long ... = )

June 10, 2009 10:49:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mightyhead,
My wife and I are having the same problem, but worse.  We usually only try and play with a couple friends (never more than 4 players total), and if just one of us plays it works fine.  If we both try and connect, we might get it to work 1-2 games out of 10.  I have disabled "Filter Multicast" and left my wife's PC at the default ports but changed mine to 6133 - 6153, then set up port forwarding on my WRT54G for each port range to the specific static IP address for each of us.  No luck so far, in fact now it is much worse, we havent gotten a single game to work.  I have TWC and a giant pipe, so bandwidth is not an issue.  Since I bought this game for the multiplayer to play with friends and I cannot do that, i feel very cheated.

Stardock, please, let me know what I need to do to fix this.

Go to speedtest and check your upload., report back.

June 10, 2009 10:57:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

June 10, 2009 11:26:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I play with 4 people behind a POS linksys router.

I found it DIDN'T work whenever I specified different port ranges on each computer and set the router to forward those ports.

Maybe its not everyone, but for me changing any settings from default fuxed it up and either we couldnt connect, or we had rediculous pings to everyone but us.

June 11, 2009 9:18:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We only started messing with the port forwarding last night because of all the connection issues we have been having.  So far it certainly hasnt made anything better, but with or without specifying port ranges and then forwarding them the game still will not connect. 

Teseer, when you play with 4 people behind the same router, does one of the 4 usually host?  In general we are connecting to someone outside that is hosting, but i am wondering if i host if it would be any better.  I am about to just install Hamachi and have my friends join a VPN to play on a "LAN".

June 15, 2009 10:15:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I figured out my issue.  I had an older "neutered" Linksys WRT54G v5 router (only 8MB RAM vs the v1-4 that had 16MB and only 2MB of flash memory vs the v1-4 that had 4MB, ran a Broadcom at 200Mhz).  I replaced my router this weekend with a Linksys WRT160NL (32MB RAM, 8MB flash, runs an Atheros 9130 @400Mhz) and everything is humming along.  Our PCs are wired too, so it wasn't a wireless issue. 

Hopefully this helps.

June 15, 2009 3:50:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mightyhead,
We only started messing with the port forwarding last night because of all the connection issues we have been having.  So far it certainly hasnt made anything better, but with or without specifying port ranges and then forwarding them the game still will not connect. 

Teseer, when you play with 4 people behind the same router, does one of the 4 usually host?  In general we are connecting to someone outside that is hosting, but i am wondering if i host if it would be any better.  I am about to just install Hamachi and have my friends join a VPN to play on a "LAN".

Yes, I always host the game. We have never tried joining anyone elses.

Oh, and if my hamachi adapter isnt disabled, its garenteed that I won't be able to connect. Just an FYI.

June 19, 2009 1:09:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I never had hamachi even installed when were were having these problems, i was only considering it to see if it would have helped. 

After I got the new router my UL speeds have stayed the same but my DL speeds are about 50% faster (15Mb/s instead of 10Mb/s to the same speedtest location) ... I am blaming the router at this point.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.