The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Can we get the disconnect timer back to 30secs? (With Modem logs 6/27)

By on June 4, 2009 2:09:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now with the option of endgame, people typically use this to quit a game in progress (instead of the exit to windows).  I haven't seen a single disconnect timer.  However the cable in my area has an issue where at unknown random intervals, I will disconnect for approximately 21 secs.  It happens once every 10 games, sometimes 3 games in a row and then never for 20 odd games, but before I would be fine.  Now with the timer at 8 secs I am screwed.  Any chance we can change the timer back to 30 secs???

P.S.  Before anyone asks, I an't switch providers and I have spent our qwith tech support.  They have swapped modems, sent out techs, no one knows what the probem is.

+89 Karma | 22 Replies
June 4, 2009 2:12:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have seen the disconnect timer working since the patch came out.

June 4, 2009 2:16:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting BigAbboTT,
I have seen the disconnect timer working since the patch came out.

This is because instead of using exit to windows, which caused the timer to pop up, everyone is forced to used end game or manually pull modem or router cord.  The exit to windows button used to end the game with out sending the signal to the other clients in game and thuis the pluthera of connection dialogs with the 30 sec waits.  It has been quite nice up until this last game when the modem dropped me.

June 4, 2009 3:02:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,

Quoting BigAbboTT, reply 1I have seen the disconnect timer working since the patch came out.

This is because instead of using exit to windows, which caused the timer to pop up, everyone is forced to used end game or manually pull modem or router cord.  The exit to windows button used to end the game with out sending the signal to the other clients in game and thuis the pluthera of connection dialogs with the 30 sec waits.  It has been quite nice up until this last game when the modem dropped me.

Dont you love that? Your all like "man these mofos are lagging ... oh wait ..." *looks at modem* "damn ..." lol.

June 4, 2009 3:47:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Makerz,

Dont you love that? Your all like "man these mofos are lagging ... oh wait ..." *looks at modem* "damn ..." lol.

Yes it is really rather annoying.  I get great piing and download, upload isn't bad, but they can't figure out the cause.  It never happened until an ice storm in januaury.  Took thenm 2 months to even aknowlegde the problem.

June 5, 2009 5:28:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

router?

June 5, 2009 8:24:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Check the logs of your router, I've seen that behavior before. The time shouldn't be random, it should always be the same amount of time between the disconnects give or take 5min.

This is not on your end, this is a problem on your ISP local routers having a problem with your line specifically and they need to fix it, not you. They know exactly what the problem is, they just don't want to put in the time and money to fix it because it might require a change in the cables going from your house to their routers.

Right now, they are basically telling you to suck it up and not play online games requiring a uninterrupted link. This is a breach of contract. If they won't fix it, you have to change technology. You say you are on cable? Then look for DSL providers.

June 5, 2009 11:15:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have a router, but have run for a week without the router, but the disconnects continued.  The disconnects do not appear at a reasonable interval like once every 5 minutes.  Somedays it will disconnect zero times (that I notice), other times it will disconnect 3 times in a day.  Once it even happened twice during a single match.

The cable modem completely loses the signal and then takes the 20 secs to reconnect me to the internet.  Like I said I have swapped modems.  They seem to think the line lost "grounding" after an ice storm.  The frequency has decreased since someone came out, but it still happens.

June 10, 2009 12:05:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bump, any response on this???

June 25, 2009 7:09:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BUMP, please look at this, they have tried rewiring my street and gave me a "business class" modem/router.  I still have disconnects, a simple return to 30secs would be a major help.

June 26, 2009 8:44:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1

But i don't think they want to change it back, for whatever reason.

June 26, 2009 8:49:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
It sounded to me a firewall problem. But could be something bigger if you've swapped router.
June 26, 2009 9:37:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AnnihilatorX,
It sounded to me a firewall problem. But could be something bigger if you've swapped router.

Trust me, it is the modem itself "power adjusting".  The issue is not the specific modem but rather their line or blade under "high load", which apparently demigod and hulu qualify for.  After hours, it looks like there is no fix short of moving or switching to dsl which is vastly inferior for twice the price).

June 27, 2009 10:09:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looking through the logs from the new "business class modem", i found something interesting.  Today at 9:14, I was disconnected from a game.  This is what the logs show (ip sensored by me):

Network Log:

(6/27/09 09:14:16) Send Release
(6/27/09 09:14:29) Send Discover
(6/27/09 09:14:38) Send Discover
(6/27/09 09:14:38) Receive Offer from 1x.2xx.1xx.x
(6/27/09 09:14:38) Send Request, Request ip = 7x.2xx.2xx8.5x
(6/27/09 09:14:38) Receive Ack

Cable Modem System Event Log:

Time:06/27/09 09:14:25, Level:warning, Content:DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response

The really interesting thing here is the time from "send release" to "receive Ack" is exactly 22sec, the exact time i disconnect according to demigod back when the timer was set to 30secs.

Hope someone with more knowledge can help.

June 30, 2009 12:57:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

July 3, 2009 7:40:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Even if the 30 sec disconnect came back, you essentially are causing connection issues to the other people you are playing with....It seems more clausable to fix the issue with your ISP to make your and your gamer community have a more stable playing situation.  I don't understand how your connection issue justifies a disconnect timer adjustment back to 30 sec.  There is nothing more frustrating as trying to smite an enemy demi and suddenly lag happens and they get away or worse...kill you.  *braces for - karma*

July 3, 2009 12:11:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neinik,
Even if the 30 sec disconnect came back, you essentially are causing connection issues to the other people you are playing with....It seems more clausable to fix the issue with your ISP to make your and your gamer community have a more stable playing situation.  I don't understand how your connection issue justifies a disconnect timer adjustment back to 30 sec.  There is nothing more frustrating as trying to smite an enemy demi and suddenly lag happens and they get away or worse...kill you.  *braces for - karma*

The issue is finally fixed.  The problem is the isp, of course.  However, most games have a 30 sec disconnect timer.  Also the problem did not create lag, I simply would disconnect at random while my ip was being reaquirred from their blade.  This did not affect games by creating lag so your point is moot.

July 9, 2009 2:13:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,

The issue is finally fixed.  The problem is the isp, of course.  However, most games have a 30 sec disconnect timer.  Also the problem did not create lag, I simply would disconnect at random while my ip was being reaquirred from their blade.  This did not affect games by creating lag so your point is moot.

Did the ISP tell you what they fixed?  I've been having the same exact problems for about a month now.  I've updated all my ethernet drivers, played with some of the settings, and still I get random disconnects during this game and TF2.  Browsing the net I have no problem. 

If I can figure out what they fixed for you maybe I can try the same solution with my idiots...i mean cable company.

July 9, 2009 2:37:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting laxnkio,

Did the ISP tell you what they fixed?  I've been having the same exact problems for about a month now.  I've updated all my ethernet drivers, played with some of the settings, and still I get random disconnects during this game and TF2.  Browsing the net I have no problem. 

If I can figure out what they fixed for you maybe I can try the same solution with my idiots...i mean cable company.

Unfortunately they didn't.  However, they did tell me what they were going to try, so I have a decent guess.

Basically they have a number of blade servers for my area and these servers shuffle people around to balance the servers based on load.  So instead of blade server one having gamers and torrenter, while server 2 only has grandma checking email, they balance things out.  However, this can sometimes lead to problems in rare circumstances.  If they lock you to a specific blade server, this may solve your problem.  Unfortunately for them to do this you will have to bitch and bitch and bitch before someone competent finally to give it a try.

Hope that helps.

July 9, 2009 3:12:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the fast reply.  Usually i'm pretty good with getting through to the second level of service.  I actually have them coming out for my dvr tomorrow so maybe i'll mention somethin and see if the guy knows.  Doubt it but they're coming to check my signal coming in anyways.

July 9, 2009 4:25:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,

Quoting Neinik, reply 15Even if the 30 sec disconnect came back, you essentially are causing connection issues to the other people you are playing with....It seems more clausable to fix the issue with your ISP to make your and your gamer community have a more stable playing situation.  I don't understand how your connection issue justifies a disconnect timer adjustment back to 30 sec.  There is nothing more frustrating as trying to smite an enemy demi and suddenly lag happens and they get away or worse...kill you.  *braces for - karma*

I suppose it is kind of mooty, but perhaps I should rephrase lag = connection problems popup screen with the timeout countdown.

July 17, 2009 3:32:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Located the source of my prob, not the ISP as it turned out.  Even though my router is forwarded correctly, after a bit of playing demigod it starts seeing the incoming connections as an attack and shuts down all networking for a blink to end the "Attack."

Unfortunately the only way I could fix this was to put my computer in DMZ mode while playing, and then take it off when I'm done.  This works perfectly and haven't had one disconnect yet. 

BTW my router is a di-604 for anyone else having the problem.

July 18, 2009 10:33:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Glad you found a solution.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.