The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Rage Quits and v1.1 of Demigod talk

By on June 3, 2009 4:15:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Developer Gas Powered Games and publisher Stardock are working on version 1.1 of Demigod which we hope to be out in the next few weeks.

Next week we’ll have a more formal preview of v1.1 but one of the things we’re going to be focusing on is the issue of rage quits.

Here is how we plan to handle them:

Team Concede

A team can concede the game. If the majority of a team chooses to concede, the game ends. No harm no foul.

Rage Quits

If a person quits the game without the team concede and the game lasts more than 10 minutes longer, that person gets a rage quit. In the connection dialog, that person’s rage quitting percentage will be displayed as “Disconnect %”. Players with a high Disconnect % will likely get booted in lobbies and will be put further back in line for skirmish and pantheon games.

Early Quits

Games that last less than 3 minutes aren’t counted. If you get into a game where it’s lagging or you have an obnoxious partner or opponent or someone has a very slow sim speed, you can quit in those first few minutes, no harm, no foul.

+912 Karma | 192 Replies
June 3, 2009 6:22:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I still say that rage quitting should start at X minutes or first blood, which ever comes first.  This way if you quit because a team mate gave up first blood in the first couple minutes, you can't just abandon them.

June 3, 2009 6:24:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The way Stardock addresses ragequitting seems very well thought through - it provides an incentive to stick around even after someone quits, in addition to the original disincentive to leave.  I know I'll be playing through games more often now after someone leaves so the quitter is flagged, and consequently I'll be less likely to play with someone similar in the future.  While this solution is not a panacea (other changes would need to be implemented to deal with individuals like Andianqz, but certain individuals will always find new ways to be poor sports no matter what you do), it is definitely an improvement.

An additional suggestion that may keep players around after someone leaves, instead of causing a string of quits, involves taking away the rewards players get for killing the "pinch hitter" AI.  If there is no gold/experience reward for killing the AI that starts playing midgame, I don't have to worry about my AI partner feeding the opponents massive gold and levels.  I think this is a better alternative than removing the demigod because the AI can still contribute.  Even if the AI isn't much for teamwork in a fight, it's still helpful with paying for citadel upgrades and taking flags.

Some might argue that it's unfair having a computer opponent that can take my flags when there's no reward for killing him (other than getting the flag back), but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would rather have this kind of AI teammate over a human player.

June 3, 2009 6:35:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I find this idea terrible personally. It generally takes me much longer than 3 minutes before I realize my team is full of noobs and I don't want to play with them.
You do know that narcisism and online gaming is not a good combo?

I don't want my time wasted by someone who decides I'm a "noob" and quits 10 minutes into the game. 

I've had this happen to me. A rook that liked to rush lanes alone in a 5v5 decided our team was full of noobs because he sucked. In reality we could have won if he didn't rage.

What if you could only concede if you had an AI teammate or a certain amount of time has passed? This voting system can easily divide a team and create an arguement between those who want to fight and those who don't.

June 3, 2009 6:36:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I find this idea terrible personally. It generally takes me much longer than 3 minutes before I realize my team is full of noobs and I don't want to play with them.

I don't want my time wasted by someone who decides I'm a "noob" and quits 10 minutes into the game. 

While I have no problem with new players on my team as long as they tell me they're new,  I have to agree that sometimes it takes more than 3 minutes to realise your teammates don't read text chat, don't respond to tips you give them, don't know towers do damage, and don't have any common sense whatsover. I feel I have every right to call them a "noob" or an idiot if they run into groups of towers to then proceed to just stand there and die more than twice, or run into 3 enemies together all alone and feed them kills again, and again and oh look he did it again, even after I advise them against it it nicely in text chat several times. 

I think even the newest of players should know that what they're doing is not a good idea after the 5th death in a row from the same cause, yet I still occasionally bump into players getting 10+ deaths to TOWERS, and just towers there's not even enemy Demigods around most of the time!

I understand there is sometimes a language barrier but that does not excuse lack of common sense.

Perhaps people should be force to complete a tournament mode before playing online (hey a guy can dream)

June 3, 2009 6:36:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brad,

Would it be possible to seperate disconnects and manual quits?  My internet connetion isn't the best, and while I complete the majority of my games, my (legitimate) disconnects will probably add up.  I'd rather people decide if they want to risk someone with a moderate connection instead of just assuming I'm a rage quitter.  I don't leave games early, no matter how poorly they are going, and it would suck to get lumped into rage quitting because of disconnects or game crashes.

I just want to make it clear that your current system won't punish only ragequitters.

June 3, 2009 7:12:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People that are against the rage quit enhancement, you should know that you can always improve your disconnect% by playing games with your buddies when you host your own game, just don't rage quit. You probably don't even have to play with your buddies, just host games and play with the comp to improve it.

I do believe the disconnect% will be a difficult measure to trust anyway. Either way im for it, since I don't like people quitting in the middle of the game.

If gcg wants to please the few people that are against the ragequit system. Then maybe there can be a ragequit option in the game host settings which will be optional. And Im willing to bet that most people will leave it on anyways, since nobody likes quitters.

June 3, 2009 7:13:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Most RTS games have the % disconnect showing. They are even harsher as they give a LOSS to someone quitting past 3min.

Sorry, but if after 2 real disconnects in a row you keep playing, it's your fault for messing up your disconnected %.

Those are good ideas and should be implemented. I'd even go as far as doing like every other game out there, disconnect = loss, period.

June 3, 2009 7:14:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like these ideas, however I'm not sure I wholeheartedly agree with the 3 minute rule. I could easily picture a player trying to pull off a quick kill within 3 minutes of the game but in turn get killed themselves and simply rage quit and not recieve any penalty

June 3, 2009 7:21:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The disconnect idea sounds absolutely horrible to me: it is never a good idea to put someone's account in a state where they have a difficult time playing the game, first because those people paid to play your game, and second because there is no fool-proof method to determine who should be allowed to play and who shouldn't.

It is made far worse by the fact that Demigod is likely to get a lot of false positives due to the high presence of game crashes and mid-game mass disconnects that I do not feel are likely to be fixed by the next update.  It is made further worse in that there is no good way to "fix" your account once you have a high disconnect percentage.  You'll just be kicked from every game you try to join.

I fully expect to see people whose game disconnects the first time they try to play online end up having a horrible Demigod experience.  Even disregarding that situation, as soon as you introduce this sort of negative statistic, you automatically create players who are viewed negatively by other players and whose experience with the game will be bad.

And by this description, if the rest of my team quits, I'm forced to play the rest of a losing game by myself.  There are some situations where it makes sense to leave the game, and players shouldn't be punished for that.

It's also easy to abuse: players who get disconnected by the game have no choice but to take a disconnect count, but former rage-quitters may now just decide to go afk.

My recommendation for dealing with the ragequitting problem is to first stop the game from crashing or disconnecting (which probably looks a lot like a rage quit), and second make players quitting the game less of a punishment on the remaining players.  Change it so players don't have to wait 30 seconds when someone leaves, and if you can't improve the AI, then at least give the team a hard or nightmare AI.

On a change of subject, the original post is inconsistant.  It first says that you get a rage quit if you leave and the game lasts more than 10 minutes.  It then says "Games that last under 3 minutes aren't counted."  Is it ten minutes or three?

Regardless, I think the logic would need to be more complex than this.  If nine out of ten players leave in the first minute, but one player stays in the game fighting the AI, making the game last twenty minutes, then surely the other nine players shouldn't all get a disconnect count, even though the game lasted more than ten minutes.

June 3, 2009 7:26:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jaxian,
The disconnect idea sounds absolutely horrible to me: it is never a good idea to put someone's account in a state where they have a difficult time playing the game, first because those people paid to play your game, and second because there is no fool-proof method to determine who should be allowed to play and who shouldn't.

It is made far worse by the fact that Demigod is likely to get a lot of false positives due to the high presence of game crashes and mid-game mass disconnects that I do not feel are likely to be fixed in the next crash.  It is made further worse in that there is no good way to "fix" your account once you have a high disconnect percentage.  You'll just be kicked from every game you try to join.

I fully expect to see people whose game disconnects the first time they try to play online end up having a horrible Demigod experience.  Even disregarding that situation, as soon as you introduce this sort of negative statistic, you automatically create players who are viewed negatively by other players and whose experience with the game will be bad.

And by this description, if the rest of my team quits, I'm forced to play the rest of a losing game by myself.  There are some situations where it makes sense to leave the game, and players shouldn't be punished for that.

It's also easy to abuse: players who get disconnected by the game have no choice but to take a disconnect count, but former rage-quitters may now just decide to go afk.

No, no and no. Other games have a zero tolerence policy. If you get disconnected or leave past 3min, it's a LOSS. Demigod is being nice enough to implement only a disconnect stat instead of destroying your score.

People with high disconnect % either are rage quitters OR they have a problem with the game. In either case, I don't want them playing with me until they solved their issues, be it psychological or technical.

It's fair for others to know you are a problem.

June 3, 2009 7:27:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Little idea for people sharing this little::

"It generally takes me much longer than 3 minutes before I realize my team is full of noobs and I don't want to play with them."

How about you just dont quit? Why not stick around and try to teach the newbies how to play the game better--I mean seriously, how the hell else will casual players/people who just don't learn that fast, pick up on the better points of playing?

I know I'm not very good at playing this game yet--so I ask tons of questions while I play because I, thankfully, have a fast typing speed. Sometimes I get answers, sometimes I get flamed, and somtimes complete lamers just leave when I start asking questions.

If you want a better player base--help the noobs, stop being noobs--what a novel idea. ¬¬

Just my two bits.

-T

June 3, 2009 7:28:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
It first says that you get a rage quit if you leave and the game lasts more than 10 minutes.
No. It states that if you quit and the game lasts at least 10 minutes more after the time you quit, you get a rage quit.
June 3, 2009 7:36:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RamzaBehoulve,
No, no and no. Other games have a zero tolerence policy. If you get disconnected or leave past 3min, it's a LOSS. Demigod is being nice enough to implement only a disconnect stat instead of destroying your score.

People with high disconnect % either are rage quitters OR they have a problem with the game. In either case, I don't want them playing with me until they solved their issues, be it psychological or technical.

It's fair for others to know you are a problem.

It would be far better to give people a loss on their account than to create a situation where they might not be able to play the game anymore.

I also do not see how anyone can claim that a high disconnect rate means that a player has a problem with the game.  I have played this game quite a bit, and in  my experience, it is far, far more common for the game to just randomly disconnect due to game issues than for players to rage quit or for players to have a hardware problem.  Typically a hardware problem prevents players from getting into the game at all in the first place.

Anyhow, I am aware of these benefits that you mentioned.  But I am trying to say that these benefits do not outweigh the disadvantages, and I fear that you or I might as easily fall victim to this system as someone who really deserves it.

Kitkun
No. It states that if you quit and the game lasts at least 10 minutes more after the time you quit, you get a rage quit

This is exactly what I wrote...isn't it?

June 3, 2009 7:47:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think there's two ways to address rage quitting:

1. punish the quitter

2. remove the reason for quitting

I'd go for the second option. Just pit together players of similar rankings (oops, that requires working rankings) so pros will not have to deal with noobs. Other than that, if someone doesn't like player/map/DG X, that someone will quit anyway. E.g. if I don't like 1 map and will always quit when getting it that will amount to 20% disconnects. Don't like DG X? 12.5% disconnects. Don't like to play against DG Y? 6.25% disconnects. Hardly enough to make me play when I don't want to.

Criticism aside, option #1 will be useful for now. Knowing who you play against is certainly better than nothing.

On the bright side, my first (and only) online game was a nice 2v3 (one of our guys dropped from the beginning) which we won. I don't even know if I was playing AIs or not, but it was still fun. Point being, rage quitting does not always ruin the game.

June 3, 2009 7:54:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cyrenic,
Brad,

Would it be possible to seperate disconnects and manual quits?  My internet connetion isn't the best, and while I complete the majority of my games, my (legitimate) disconnects will probably add up.  I'd rather people decide if they want to risk someone with a moderate connection instead of just assuming I'm a rage quitter.  I don't leave games early, no matter how poorly they are going, and it would suck to get lumped into rage quitting because of disconnects or game crashes.

I just want to make it clear that your current system won't punish only ragequitters.

This is important.  With what cyrenic suggests I'd say your system is good.  If the game lasts ten minutes after you left it, you definitely left way too early to tell so it will just affect true ragequitters(I'd actually be interested in the statistics on how many people start accruing these, my impression has been it isn't nearly as rampant as all the bitching suggests).  However, if a player has a net problem and builds up a serious disconnect percent, people will kick him because they think he's a ragequitter, even after he finds the problem and fixes it.  If there's a way to differentiate, his explanation will be more believable.  There's also that thing where games just split off for some reason(or was that fixed?).

Also, you need to be careful with players who pull the plug.  If someone can cause a disconnect by pulling their ethernet cable, then plug it back in and win the game more than ten minutes later, will they give everyone else a +1 in the ragequit column?  That would be really really bad and there are always people who are big enough assholes to do that sort of thing.

June 3, 2009 8:08:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting IllegalDustbin,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 10

While I have no problem with new players on my team as long as they tell me they're new,  I have to agree that sometimes it takes more than 3 minutes to realise your teammates don't read text chat, don't respond to tips you give them, don't know towers do damage, and don't have any common sense whatsover. I feel I have every right to call them a "noob" or an idiot if they run into groups of towers to then proceed to just stand there and die more than twice, or run into 3 enemies together all alone and feed them kills again, and again and oh look he did it again, even after I advise them against it it nicely in text chat several times. 

I think even the newest of players should know that what they're doing is not a good idea after the 5th death in a row from the same cause, yet I still occasionally bump into players getting 10+ deaths to TOWERS, and just towers there's not even enemy Demigods around most of the time!

I understand there is sometimes a language barrier but that does not excuse lack of common sense.

Perhaps people should be force to complete a tournament mode before playing online (hey a guy can dream)

This person has some points. Not all beginners will listen (this I've seen first hand many times).

I agree with Bug that a good matchmaking service would solve ragequitting much better than this disconnect % stuff. Letting people of similar skill level play with eachother will avoid people getting frustrated and ragequitting when they are dissatisfied with their teammates skill level. From what I see, a lot of ragequits stem from this issue.

I also think that the losing team should be given a little more favor than 10-15. Generally some sort of better incentive for people staying the entire lenght of the game (possibly getting owned the whole time).

June 3, 2009 8:23:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally, instead of getting a disconnect % rating for rage quits, I'd like to see the person who quits without it being a team concede does not get to use a favor item in the next game they play.  That would hurt and be a real deterant I'd say.

Koz

June 3, 2009 8:42:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your rhetorical question is not appreciated. I put out my opinion out there to help you gauge potential problems, not for you to attack my character. Your game has many flaws and I did not yell or flame at you; I only wish to offer constructive criticism because I feel you will listen and try to improve the game. That is what we all want.

Preventing me from leaving a game because I don't enjoy it is not going to fix the fact that the game will be ruined. Like I said, I'll just afk or something. And it's not really a 'me' problem. A lot of posts are trying to cast me as some sort of outsider that should be avoided like the plague; but really, I'm just the everyday guy. If I were such a rare beast, we wouldn't even worry about 'rage quitting'. The truth is: everyone has bad days, or rage quits; those who deny it are lying. Some are more prone to it than others, but we all have things that bother us. I mean.. what if you join a game.. die early because of a mistake and your teammates call you four letter words for the next 10 minutes? Even if you do fine from that point on? I think normal people will be offended and leave. And guess what, he gets the "rage quit" tacked to his name.

This is a silly witch-hunting kind of game we are playing. Branding people with these disconnect % is just the start.

As for your comment on my usage of 'noob', would 'novice' serve you better? It seems excessively P.C. to worry about this terminology as it is very colloquially accepted for new players. Which by the way, is something far more important to fix. Rage quitting is a symptom of illness not the cause. The cause is the game (a specific match) being boring and frustrating. You got it right with trying to fix connection issues, that's definitely praiseworthy. But if you spend your energy now developing a 30 minute tutorial that walks players through at least the controls rather than setting up a network of monitoring leavers you'd solve 1/2 (exaggerated) the rage quitting problems right there and make your game more accessible to boot.

June 3, 2009 8:57:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've only twice played with a teammate so incompitent I knew we where guarenteed to lose... and I played through the game, both times. I mean, how do you know the opposing team didn't get an unlucky draw, too? And it's not like losing is the end of the world, if your teammate(s) feed your enemies up four levels, you don't have to take it as a personal failing when you lose. No better way to get better than to face stiff compitition and try to pull your team out of the hole singlehandedly.

Now, I'd like to mention the idea some people had to make randomized teams optional. I think people will complain a lot less about stacking and mismatches if that's a possibility, and it's got to be easy to do. Also, give people the option to return to the game instead of being automatically kicked to the lobby when it ends? I think that'd give people more incentive to be nicer to their opponents, when they'll actually see them again... and maybe have to work togther next time.

June 3, 2009 9:08:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i dont like that. it's susceptible to abuse e.g. that alt-tabbing and being afk or just feeding the opponent to end the game fast.

i suggest just adding a blacklist. there's no disadvantage.

after demigod is more capable of detecting who quits and doesn't pause the game for 30sec. , it's not that much of an annoyance anymore. just need to improve the ai a bit or replace the normal ai with a hard or nightmare one.

i also like the idea of giving less reward for killing an ai.

pls consider that before adding this punishment system! it's utterly flawed.

June 3, 2009 9:15:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would also agree that a punishment system is not the best way to go even though that seems to be what the devs have decided on. A much better long term solution would be to balance out losing a teammate. Give them gold; give them better AI; just give them something besides a teammate that feeds the other team.

At least make it so the enemy doesn't get gold for killing AI.

June 3, 2009 9:22:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How about fix the problem with the game not saving my favor points when I'm not playing online and I'm playing in a tournament.

June 3, 2009 9:40:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rage quitting in this game is totally legitimate b/c the losing team typically gets such pathetic Favor.  I played a game last night that had a Rook who was pretty damned good, but his team member left 3/4 way through the game.  My teammate got around 190 favor, I got 160...both of the losers got 10 paltry favor points...even the guy who "rage quitted."  It would've made much more sense for them both to leave when they knew it was unwinnable and get in another game where they might actually get some favor. 

My point is that to reduce rage quitting, GIVE THE LOSING TEAM MORE FAVOR.

Implementing any kind of persistent disconnect% system will stifle online play in the long term.  I can't think of another game that does this.  Wow gives you a temproary debuff when you quit a battleground, but it is not visible to anyone else once it is gone, and doesn't prevent you from getting into future games.  Its enough of an annoyance to make you think twice about quitting, but never enough to make you worry about joining a battleground (very important distinction imo).

I think the disconnect% mechanic is a bad idea...I've disconnected once I think, and certainly not planning on abusing it. But I can guarantee I'll play less if the disconnect% gets into the game, as I suspect most casual-hardcore players would.

What about situations that are totally independent of the games current status.  I'm a husband, father, and am on call with my job at times, and I need to have the option of stopping a game if need be.  If however, I'm constantly worried that doing so will brand me as a rager I will inevitably be inclined to play online less.  This would be the case if I think there is ANY chance I'd need to quit, while in reality it would happen very infrequently.

[Update]

"Rage-quitting" in WoW (World of Warcraft) is not a big issue because the losing team always gets 1/3 the total Marks (roughly equalivent to Favor).  People stay in 'till the bitter end b/c IT IS IN THEIR INTEREST TO DO SO...thats the only way it will work.  The punishment for a quitter is built in...it is often more profitable to go ahead and get your 1/3'rd "points" than quit and join another game.

June 3, 2009 9:55:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trendkill2d,
Long time lurker,

I see games getting turned around all the time, but if the team had to option to end it there they drop a perfectly good match because they aren't dominating.

I agree just the other day a player ripped on me after I died twice.  He then swore and asked if it was my first time.  Later things were evening out and he told the other team it was over a long time ago, Then 3 minutes later we were winning and 5 after that we won. Many games turn around in demigod.  Not always, but it definately happens.

Hope the team concede doesn't lead to short games that could have been won.

June 3, 2009 10:23:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy -

Big post warning.

Froggy, instead of punishing players for leaving a game THEY ARE NOT ENJOYING, why not implement a proper ranking system? That way you KNOW you aren't gonna be playing against noobs. This should be more important than punishing players who do get stuck with a team who has no idea and get squished.

Seriously stop blaming players for a GPG game design flaw. No-one will play a game they dont enjoy, and if you punish them for feeling this way all you are doing is further alienating your customers. Which means less people playing which means less moneys for you. wow.

To prove my point here is an example:

A few nights ago I host a 3v3. 5 others join, cool.

I ask: 'Before we start, can I ask who is a new player?' both guys on my team say they only have a little online experience. Which is cool I dont' mind helping new players learn. I say 'Ok that's cool then, I'll help you guys learn how to play, just try to follow my advice'. Response: 'Ok no probs'.

Game start.

Me: 'Guys try and stick together and back each other up, don't wander off or you'll get ganked'

Them: 'ok' 'ok'

Game progresses.

Me: 'Guys why are you both running off, please cap the flag you are standing right next to.'

Then: no response....

A few mins pass.

Me: 'Guys wtf are you doing stop running into all three of them you can't win you'll just die'

Them: .... no response ...

SMITER, WRATHFUL etc.

Me: 'Ok fuck it. Do what ever you want, you have fed them too much already'

Them: still no response.

So I ran at enemy base, died and then went to do some washing... I came back 5 mins later just as the enemy finished off our citadel.

Now Frogboy, tell me how it was unfair for me to not keep playing? I didn't actually quit but I may as well have. I asked these guys from the start if they were new, then I tried to offer them help all through out the game. In the end they just ignored me, fed the enemy and didn't cap any flags, even after I advised them what to do several times.

So with your new system, if I had have actually quit, I'd be punished. Punished for a. identifying new players. b. trying to help new players and c. for losing paitence for 2 people who didn't want to either listen or learn how NOT to ruin other players games.

In a fair would THEY would be punished not me.

How about instead of this badly thought out proposal you have put forward for rage quitters you look at a ranking system. This way I'd not have had to deal with new players at all and then if new players don't want to learn how to play properly and just want to screw around they can, noone loses.

In closing, your proposed system is unfair, unreasonable and will only hurt the community even more so. I am your customer, I don't owe you anything, that includes sitting in a 20 min game while my team who I tried to help gets curb stomped because they aren't willing to learn.

phew.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.