The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Bans , Banning, You Are Banned, We Need A Banlist

By on May 25, 2009 12:36:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

CallTheVoid

Join Date 04/2009
+23

As the DotA community found out, in order to fully enjoy this style of game, you must keep certain people from your games.  In style of DotA, Demigod also needs a Banlist.  One intergrated into the game.

So as I sit and wait minutes upon minutes for a game to start, we're down to waiting for the last player to join. A player, disliked by the host, joins the game and the host kicks him... player rejoins... host kicks him... player rejoins... host kicks him... player rejoins... my game crashes!  Probably from the lobby being all screwed up.  So seriously, at this point, I'd even settle for a 'Ban Player From Lobby' option just to keep certain players from rejoining a game after they have been kicked.

I do not know in how many Demigod game lobbies I have been in where a player is kicked and rejoins after every kick.  This is annoying and it just wasted my time as a game that was about to start crashed as I already mentioned.  There are so many hosts out there with no clue how to open up an additional slot, unless you are playing a 5v5.

Anyways, Stardock, please do not cater to the morons out there.  We need some sort of player banning system so hosts do not have to deal with the immature, idiotic, and moronic... not to mention, the jerks.  Not only this, but some people will get into a game and produce massive amounts of lag, sometimes making the game unplayable.  Perhaps it is not fair for them when they start getting banned... but this is a game I want to enjoy, and if they do not have common enough sense to take their PC to a shop for a cleanup (maintenance), if they do not have the knowledge to do so themselves, than why should they be allowed to sit and ruin a game for multiple players?

Locked Post 62 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 25, 2009 1:30:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so you want a banlist because your pc couldn't handle the kicking and crashed? sound reasonable......

May 25, 2009 1:38:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

As the DotA community found out, in order to fully enjoy this style of game, you must keep certain people from your games.  In style of DotA, Demigod also needs a Banlist.  One intergrated into the game.

So as I sit and wait minutes upon minutes for a game to start, we're down to waiting for the last player to join. A player, disliked by the host, joins the game and the host kicks him... player rejoins... host kicks him... player rejoins... host kicks him... player rejoins... my game crashes!  Probably from the lobby being all screwed up.  So seriously, at this point, I'd even settle for a 'Ban Player From Lobby' option just to keep certain players from rejoining a game after they have been kicked.

I do not know in how many Demigod game lobbies I have been in where a player is kicked and rejoins after every kick.  This is annoying and it just wasted my time as a game that was about to start crashed as I already mentioned.  There are so many hosts out there with no clue how to open up an additional slot, unless you are playing a 5v5.

Anyways, Stardock, please do not cater to the morons out there.  We need some sort of player banning system so hosts do not have to deal with the immature, idiotic, and moronic... not to mention, the jerks.  Not only this, but some people will get into a game and produce massive amounts of lag, sometimes making the game unplayable.  Perhaps it is not fair for them when they start getting banned... but this is a game I want to enjoy, and if they do not have common enough sense to take their PC to a shop for a cleanup (maintenance), if they do not have the knowledge to do so themselves, than why should they be allowed to sit and ruin a game for multiple players?

I disagree with having a ban-list in general.   I recall some people citing me for bans on DotA simply because I was trying a new character and didn't play in an 'epic' fashion that was good enough for them.   I believe that your best bet if you want to make sure there are no early leavers is to play tournament modes or when clan matches are released....where it hurts someone's 'rating' that they might care about (then again note that custom games have this as well and theoretically when it is working many will be dettered from quiting all the time).  

Leavers have plagued every game for as long as I remember, despite the use of a ban list or not, and we want to promote an open community so that the game gets more support and people feel welcome.

I do think that you should be able to kick someone from your lobby and for the period of that game, it not allow them to rejoin.   I believe that could be a reasonable idea.

Mainly I think what they need is the ability to make 'private' slots in custom games so you can invite your friends so that they will definitely get in the game, in the slot desired.

May 25, 2009 1:41:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

Roger. Your on my banlist now since you admit you crash. So if you join my lobby you will "time out" because you crash. GG to yourself good sir.

May 25, 2009 1:52:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just wait... you all will come around -.^

May 25, 2009 3:06:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In custom games it goes without saying you should be able to ban players from joining your games (host should be able to ban).

In pantheon, being able to "avoid" players should suffice.

May 25, 2009 3:11:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DGBanlist.com

By the way, I banned you for being an immature moron. Don't worry, you won't be the first person to be banned just because someone is a huge dick. See what I mean? Banlist is completely stupid. Someone can be perfectly competent, and maybe his mom just died, or his girlfriend/boyfriend came, or his electric company craps out, and yet still be banned. And your computer crashed while in the lobby? Well according to you, you are a "moron" who doesn't have enough common sense to take your PC to the shop for cleanup or do it yourself. Is that fair?

And, yes I really did ban you along with the creator in DGBanlist.com, but don't worry that site is a joke.

May 25, 2009 3:15:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First of all, if the host was having that problem he should of opened a second slot until someone else got in, then kicked the guy and closed his slot. It's just common sense. Simple as that. Host your own game and make it happen and post something useful instead.

Second, if you did some reading you would know that this is already planned to be implemented.

May 25, 2009 3:21:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i dont think  a ban list is a priority at the moment   i would say a concede option is more needed

June 7, 2009 2:27:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I again call for a completed banlist to be implemented, pronto!!!

I'll address some of the statements above. 1) It would ONLY work for custom games.  2) There would be absolutely NO global banning, only custom (player) lists.

I just tried hosting a 4v4 game.  Full game and ready to start... a player leaves.  Another player joins, then leaves right away.  Again, a player joins, we are ready to start... they leave.  The game took so long to start, and always waiting for that 'LAST PLAYER', that multiple other players started leaving.  WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!

This is not rocket science people.  Why join a full game if you are just going to leave right away?  These dumbsh!t people need a good banning so 1)  They will never again waste my time and 2)  Maybe they will not join and leave games when they KNOW there is a possibility they'll be banned from that hosts future games if they pull their stupid antics.

so you want a banlist because your pc couldn't handle the kicking and crashed? sound reasonable.....

btw, my PC doesn't crash... just the game when I have to kick numerous people.

June 7, 2009 2:44:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kstampy,
if you did some reading you would know that this is already planned to be implemented.

June 7, 2009 2:52:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

how about a cooldown on the person that was kick from room for 2 mins. so he can't just keep rejoining over and over again.

June 7, 2009 3:03:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This post is saying "I WANT IT NOW!!"

Sure, it is on the way, but that could be in like..... forever.  On the way could = 3 years from now.

how about a cooldown on the person that was kick from room for 2 mins. so he can't just keep rejoining over and over again.

Even that, I would love to have right now.  I'd rather it be more like 5 minutes tho.

June 7, 2009 3:16:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

define  rejoining  if u mean  the game crashes booting it back up and starting the game again  for me my comp takes 2 mins to start up and  another min to finishing opening all my start ups  so i would have 2 mins to get demi up log in join the game and hope it doesn't happen again

or do u mean when someone spikes then settles down  then does it again  sort off thing

June 7, 2009 3:50:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,

Stardock, please do not cater to the morons out there.

You just invalidated your own suggestions .

June 7, 2009 5:11:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please people, don't go against this idea just because you are the ones who lag up games and drop from them left and right.  Whether Stardock does it or whether someone else beats 'em to it, it is coming! You'll get yer bannings soon enough!

June 7, 2009 6:25:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think I'd be ok with lobby bans, and maybe even a votekick system to get griefing or douchebag players out of a game when they're ruining things for everyone.

However, I'm NOT in favor of something that globally bans or kicks players, as the term "banlist" in reference to DotA suggests.

June 7, 2009 6:35:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

a global one i say fuck off too a presonaly one i say fuck yes to

a global one means if u get droped once u could be shoved up there and no one will play with u and then that person who got shoved up there will shove the dude who puut him in it up there

in the end there will be no one playing everyone will leave the game

so in short i agree with kei-chan

June 7, 2009 7:20:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The OP sounds like someone who played a lot of Dota, and is completely right.

We have experience with these kind of things.  Banlists are definitely needed, or at the least some kind of ignore list.  Demigod has neither.

By the way, I banned you for being an immature moron. Don't worry, you won't be the first person to be banned just because someone is a huge dick. See what I mean? Banlist is completely stupid. Someone can be perfectly competent, and maybe his mom just died, or his girlfriend/boyfriend came, or his electric company craps out, and yet still be banned. And your computer crashed while in the lobby? Well according to you, you are a "moron" who doesn't have enough common sense to take your PC to the shop for cleanup or do it yourself. Is that fair?

Shared banlists don't work.  Everyone knows this.  Local banlists work wonderfully.  If your mom just died, or girlfriend/boyfriend came or <insert other legitimate excuse here> (though "boyfriend came over" might not be so legitimate if you knew they were coming but started a game anyways) then I probably wouldn't ban you assuming you SAID SO before bailing from the game.

Everyone has their own personal thresholds for what they'd ban for.  Performing fine all game but suddenly lagging out?  I probably wouldn't ban.  If you did it a few times, or lagged all the time?  I probably would.  Died a few times and left?  A ban.  Afker?  A ban.  Saw you again?  Would mention the first ban and see what you said about it.  Depending on your response I may play with you again.  Left a second time?  Banned forever.  Griefer?  Banned forever.  Garbage sim speed making game unplayable?  Ban.

You see, a ban from me does not suddenly mean that you necessarily did something "wrong" (as in the case of bad sim speed) but that I just do not want to play with you again.

Now consider player 2.  They ban for nearly anything.  You sucked?  Ban.  First blood?  Ban.  Said something they didn't like?  Ban. 

What's wrong with this?  Nothing.  They can ban people for whatever they want.  If they ban you, is that a bad thing?  No, because you probably don't want to play such a jackass ANYWAYS.

I don't see how this is a bad thing, it just allows each person to track people that ruin their enjoyment.  As long as there is no attempt at a crappy "public" or "shared" banlist, which as I've already said NEVER works, implementing a personal banlist is only for the good of the people playing the game.

June 7, 2009 9:13:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

infin  i have a 2 strikes policy  with my ban list  i give everyone 2 chances  unless there complete assholes then i  say fuck off too them

June 7, 2009 10:51:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2 Strikes is pretty generous imo ^^. I'm with Vengeance, very much looking forward to something better than having notepad up on my other screen while I host a lobby. Those people saying there shouldn't be a banlist are ignoring the fact that people are already using methods like the one I use, having an integrated personal banlist will improve things rather than harming the community

There is nothing stopping you from hosting your own game if you find that you are on people's banlists, maybe others will join...

I think the more likely scenario is that over time the community will break off into smaller groups of people who like playing together and are from the same region, so the moral of the story is don't be an idiot and always tell the host if you need to leave!

The only case I can see a banlist being a problem is where a very new player does not know how to chat,and needs to leave for some reason or other, but I feel that's pretty rare.

June 8, 2009 12:20:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting vindKtiv,

DGBanlist.com

And, yes I really did ban you along with the creator in DGBanlist.com, but don't worry that site is a joke.

Grow up

June 8, 2009 12:29:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

^^

Holy $%#@, where the hell did you come from?!?!

June 8, 2009 12:31:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,
The OP sounds like someone who played a lot of Dota, and is completely right.

We have experience with these kind of things.  Banlists are definitely needed, or at the least some kind of ignore list.  Demigod has neither.

Shared banlists don't work.  Everyone knows this.  Local banlists work wonderfully.  If your mom just died, or girlfriend/boyfriend came or <insert other legitimate excuse here> (though "boyfriend came over" might not be so legitimate if you knew they were coming but started a game anyways) then I probably wouldn't ban you assuming you SAID SO before bailing from the game.

Everyone has their own personal thresholds for what they'd ban for.  Performing fine all game but suddenly lagging out?  I probably wouldn't ban.  If you did it a few times, or lagged all the time?  I probably would.  Died a few times and left?  A ban.  Afker?  A ban.  Saw you again?  Would mention the first ban and see what you said about it.  Depending on your response I may play with you again.  Left a second time?  Banned forever.  Griefer?  Banned forever.  Garbage sim speed making game unplayable?  Ban.

You see, a ban from me does not suddenly mean that you necessarily did something "wrong" (as in the case of bad sim speed) but that I just do not want to play with you again.

Now consider player 2.  They ban for nearly anything.  You sucked?  Ban.  First blood?  Ban.  Said something they didn't like?  Ban. 

What's wrong with this?  Nothing.  They can ban people for whatever they want.  If they ban you, is that a bad thing?  No, because you probably don't want to play such a jackass ANYWAYS.

I don't see how this is a bad thing, it just allows each person to track people that ruin their enjoyment.  As long as there is no attempt at a crappy "public" or "shared" banlist, which as I've already said NEVER works, implementing a personal banlist is only for the good of the people playing the game.

Fully agreed.  You have to have played DotA extensively like this poster and I have to understand where this statement is coming from.  A 3rd party banlist program would suffice - it does not have to be ingame.  And again people, banlists are LOCALIZED, hence it does not matter if you are on 1 persons banlist coz you would not want to play with him anyway...

June 8, 2009 12:34:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Err, DotA doesn't do well at all, regardless of a banlist. Community = terrible, getting into a game with people of the proper skill level = terrible. The damn thing is literally unplayable if you aren't in a clan. As we can see from DotA, a banlist will do nothing against the ever-streaming tide of laggers, leavers, and afkers who knock at your door. I'll wave to you next time I see you on the beach with a teacup, trying to drain the ocean.

June 8, 2009 12:42:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,
Err, DotA doesn't do well at all, regardless of a banlist. Community = terrible, getting into a game with people of the proper skill level = terrible. The damn thing is literally unplayable if you aren't in a clan. As we can see from DotA, a banlist will do nothing against the ever-streaming tide of laggers, leavers, and afkers who knock at your door. I'll wave to you next time I see you on the beach with a teacup, trying to drain the ocean.
part of the problem is that people can create bnet user accounts on the whim and they DO so as to invalidate previous bans on them.  Recreating an account in demi could cause you to lose your favor points; hence people will not be playing the same game with half a dozen accounts much unlike on bnet.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000938   Page Render Time: