The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Happy Memorial Day

By on May 23, 2009 2:34:09 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Greeeeeeeetings!

Well tonight we updated the new network system a couple of times. Micro updates via Impulse are totally the way to go. 

Anyway, the proxy server system is working far better than anticipated. But to go any further with improving the networking, we need some changes that GPG is putting into v1.01 which I mentioned in a previous journal.  I don’t have a set day for that but I am hoping this next week. We already have the release candidate for it.

I was able to verify that tonight’s update does fix favor points and favor items as I finally started to be able to buy some better gear though I still prefer swift anklet to almost anything else.  I think more favor items are going to be needed down the line but that’s another story.

One of the things the Impulse team (which, as some know, was assigned the task of developing a new network connectivity system after the…unpleasantness of the game’s launch) wants to do is have the game more aware of when people are using the /serverproxyonly flag. 

Personally, I’m almost inclined to just have all games be proxied. The big fear we had was that it would add too much lag. But we’re not seeing that in practice. A number of people can hopefully attest that it has totally turned things around for them.  But it works best when everyone uses it.  The downside (for Stardock) is that obviously we have to pay for a bunch of bandwidth around the world. 

In my mind though, it’s simple economics. Stardock’s name is on the box. Nobody cares who made what or why there’s a problem. It’s our job to get in there and make good.

Coupons

The Demigod coupons went out today. There’s been some mixed reviews as some people didn’t understand the rationale.  The idea is that between launch and last week, there were a lot of people who just couldn’t play the game.  Those people could have asked for a refund but they didn’t. They stuck it out.  Now that the multiplayer connectivity is largely fixed and people can play (and yes, we know there are some people who still can’t but the # of games being played nearly doubled overnight since the Impulse team’s code was delivered so we know it’s working a lot better) we want to reward those people.

To everyone else, including people still having issues but have decided to stick it out, we are also going to be sending discount coupons to anything on Impulse.  A lot of the coverage has neglected to mention that part.

Weekend off

It’s supposed to be nice this weekend and it’s memorial day. The crew has the weekend off to relax and recover from the past month.  I don’t know how many games of Demigod I’ll have time to get in this weekend but I’ll probably be around.  If you hang out on the chat channel you’ll occasionally see me on there (make sure it’s an op with my handle and not some random person with a similar handle). 

A lot of the progress this week is thanks to a handful of people who have ISPs/routers that we weren’t familiar with. I won’t mention everyone but here’s a few shout outs:  Boxleitner, pugmastaflex, Dopefish, Gank, Hoverdisk, JudeTepes, Lionheart, MrRyan, and many others who gave us lots of helpful data that has made a big difference. 

Have a great weekend!

+86 Karma | 12 Replies
May 23, 2009 2:50:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You talk to 1up yet about re-reviewing the game?  Now that they can play it I imagine they'd bump it up a bit, prime time for good reviews now that people who didn't buy it already are receiving 50% off coupons from eager friends and strangers.

May 23, 2009 3:33:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, more patches tested and released in one day!  All the people working on this: thanks for your hard work and enjoy your days off. I'll be off now to check out the latest version and have some fun.

May 23, 2009 4:54:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Are there proxies located in europe yet? I ask because I had a ping of 360 to someone who was proxied when my ally who is about 300 km away from me had only a ping of 90 to him via direct connect.

May 23, 2009 5:07:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Being forced to use a proxy when I have no problems directly connecting would suck.

Even assuming you actually put  proxy server somewhere in Australia so Im not getting 700 ms pings to someone very close. (Presumably were proxying via the USA, so having to cross the pacific ocean twice)

We have a switch to force proxy. Why would you want to force someone onto proxy who is direct connecting fine? It makes no sense.

Horrible idea.

May 23, 2009 9:31:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So just to make this clear, if we didnt recieve a 50% discount coupon yet that means we didnt qualify? We had to actively lash out about issues and / or not be able to connect at all? So all those having issues with this game sitting quietly on the sidelines with faith in stardock as a publisher to fix things is going to be penalized? Im assuming your looking at broken stats to see how much was played and from there you deside if were worthy of the 50% coupon or not?

Lets just say I'm hoping all of those things I asked are false because the quote that was said in frogboys journal was pretty cut and dry, easy to understand here's the quote.

"Q: What is publisher Stardock planning to do for Demigod players?

A: The plan is to send out an email this week to users who purchased Demigod prior to today with a coupon for 50% off of Demigod that they can give to their friends.   In addition, next week we will begin sending coupons for other things on Impulse to active Demigod players to help ensure a vibrant multiplayer community. We plan to keep doing that periodically."

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/352561

Please tell me I'm wrong and that all of us will whom purchased the game prior to May 18, 2009 19:30:13 also will be recieving the coupon for 50% off demigod as stated. I really hope it's just my impatience getting the best of me. If not I will feel like I sort of got bait and switch sucker punched in the stomach.

May 23, 2009 11:08:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ghurka,

Please tell me I'm wrong and that all of us will whom purchased the game prior to May 18, 2009 19:30:13 also will be recieving the coupon for 50% off demigod as stated. I really hope it's just my impatience getting the best of me. If not I will feel like I sort of got bait and switch sucker punched in the stomach.

I've been involved since the early beta, and I got a copy of the coupon... I'd guess you're just got lost in the mail.

May 23, 2009 11:22:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Check your spam folder?

May 23, 2009 12:42:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah i haven't received mine either and have a friend that's looking to getting the game now that's working for the most part. I bought my copy on May 4th.

May 23, 2009 1:55:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vladesch,

We have a switch to force proxy. Why would you want to force someone onto proxy who is direct connecting fine? It makes no sense.

You wouldn't.  The switch is for people who know they can't direct connect or connect through NAT.  Currently, the game tries direct connect.  When that fails, it tries NAT.  When that fails, it connects through a proxy.  If you know you can't connect directly or through NAT, you're wasting time trying the first two methods, so the proxy only switch should speed up the connection process.

If you're asking about the person that's on the other end of the proxy, there are two options:  Say "The other player can direct connect, so either direct connect or screw you."  or you can say "The only way to connect is to connect through a proxy, and we want to be able to connect everybody, not just those who know how to/have a router which is accessable to port forward."  Now, if you don't want to play with anyone through the proxy, then that's your perogative, but the reason the switch is there is to improve connection times, and the reason proxies are there is to improve the number of people who can connect.  I don't understand your rationale.

May 23, 2009 3:29:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ciber,
Check your spam folder?

Yes.

Quoting Bluenotes,
Yeah i haven't received mine either and have a friend that's looking to getting the game now that's working for the most part. I bought my copy on May 4th.

Same here got the game on may 4th and was trying to convince my friend to get it ever since. Unfortunatley when we tried it on his computer he couldnt connect to anybody. Now that things are starting to get sorted out he would appreciate me getting a 50% coupon so he can pick it up himself.

Also my nickname changed to "ghurka" from the previous "ghurka510" for the impulse service. Hopfully that isn't an issue, regardless I have some broken stats that go back to may 4th on the pantheon and creditcard history.

May 23, 2009 6:07:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well tonight we updated the new network system a couple of times. Micro updates via Impulse are totally the way to go.
Holy.... Does this mean there are new updates? Guess I have to test it. And I thought I had the weekend off, silly me...

Have fun and thank you for the coupon!

May 23, 2009 6:57:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Demigod coupons went out today.

Still haven't gotten mine... are they still being sent? I don't want to be impatient but I don't want to miss the deadline either. I bought the game from this website, have impulse, and have entered the code to play online... did I miss a step?

EDIT: Oh, and I checked the email adress that my code was sent to. Is it delivered somewhere else?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.