The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Master of Magic Clone WIP - Map Generation

By on May 19, 2009 2:13:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental ForumsExternal Link

Hey all,

As a long time fan of Master of Magic I have kicked around the idea of doing a fan remake of the game for some time.  With the release of Unity 2.5 for Windows I found a game engine that has the power to do everything I want to do while being simple enough for me to understand (I'm a SQL / Cold Fusion / Javascript programmer not a C++ programmer).  Here is my map generation WIP - http://www.pittsburghautisticspectrum.org/Test/Map_Creation.html
It does not include a 'water map' for river generation or swamp placement yet, nor does it place special tiles, villages, or starting cities.

Let me know if you think the maps look playable in a MoM / Civ style game.

Thanks,

Sammual 

Edit - Now with screenshot

Map 1

Goto http://www.pittsburghautisticspectrum.org/Test to see more map screenshots.

+12 Karma | 7 Replies
May 20, 2009 12:22:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No one is interested or has an opinion on how the maps look?

I could use some feedback on if the maps would be playable.

Thanks,

Sammual

May 20, 2009 12:49:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well.... If more people are like me, they click on the link, see they have to install something and decide they are not THAT interested after all... Sorry...

I don't know the size of the map, or how this player works, but would it be possible to post a screenshot or something?

May 20, 2009 2:40:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yeah, that is how I responded too.  I was going to reply, but I only saw it this morning.  Perhaps you should talk more about what we're downloading?   I've gotten a firm policy not to download random pieces of software that I am not sure the source.

from the basis of your question though, I'm not sure if we could really tell.  I mean its things like village placement that makes a map playable (see boogiebac's joke 'screwed' image).   Small islands are fine.  I love them!  but you can't have a starting village on them (unless everybody starts on a small island and you want to play the boat race game)

I personally want a MoM remake, but I had not put that much thought into the map generation.  By that I mean, MoM had pretty basic map generation.  No real rhyme I could see.  Just enough to prevent cities from being next to each other.   I mean MoM's maps are almost not playable, with things like wizard towers or nodes on 1 piece islands in the middle of the ocean.  Modern Civ games are much more detailed and thought out.

also, its in the "off topic" section.   which changes the demographic of who looks at it.  (i.e. the threads move down the page faster and some people who just stop in to see updates miss it)

May 20, 2009 3:17:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Scorpiana / landisaurus,

Thanks for the replies.  I can see your point about the browser plugin install.  Unity is the game engine I am using and you can package your games so they play in a browser window for anyone who has installed the Unity Web Player.

The Unity Web Player is safe to install (Google it if you don't trust the word of a random internet poster).

For everyone who does not want to install the plugin I will take some screenshots tonight and update my post with them.

As for the map size, MoM's map was 60 X 40 with 70-85% of the map being water .  Mine is 80 X 40 with 50-65% of the map being water.  MoM used a square grid, I am using Hexagons.  I am not shure if I will have time to work on this until the weekend but by the end of this weekend I will have Swamps, Special Tiles, and starting city placement done (Rivers may have to wait until I figure out how I am going to implement the graphics for them).

Thanks,

Sammual

May 20, 2009 6:32:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It looks good enough to me, I like it that there are a lot of different continents. I must admit though, that I've never played MoM, so I can't say if it's suitable for MoM. For games like Civ though, it would work, I think

May 20, 2009 6:39:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll be waiting for some screenshots, don't like plugins (not that I don't trust them I just want as less stuff on my pc as possible)

May 20, 2009 8:09:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I added a screenshot to the starting post and a link to more.

Sammual

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.