The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Why do we have to wait 30 seconds everytime somebody quits?

By on May 16, 2009 9:16:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regardless if they rage quit or disconnect, we always get that 30 second timer that pops up... what's with that?

0 Karma | 29 Replies
May 16, 2009 9:24:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, it's very, very annoying.

May 16, 2009 9:25:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

another thing that should get fixed

May 16, 2009 9:26:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

dont think thats so anoying... rather that than people get dropped instantly everytime there is a drop in connection.

the times i could play the game i did see the pop up screen come up and then after a few seconds connection was remade.

May 16, 2009 9:32:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting glasfod,
dont think thats so anoying... rather that than people get dropped instantly everytime there is a drop in connection.

the times i could play the game i did see the pop up screen come up and then after a few seconds connection was remade.
He is talking about a player quitting the game regularly. Even when the player quits the game on purpose, everyone has to way 30 seconds.

May 16, 2009 9:41:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yea when people use the menu and push exit to main menu there should be no wait because then the game should send info to the other players that he left... when people use "alt" "F4" if possible would be nice it send info to the other players that there was no reason to wait 30 seconds trying to reconnect... when the game crash or there is a sudden connection problem i think it is okay to use 30 seconds trying to reconnect.

May 16, 2009 10:35:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,

Quoting glasfod, reply 3dont think thats so anoying... rather that than people get dropped instantly everytime there is a drop in connection.

the times i could play the game i did see the pop up screen come up and then after a few seconds connection was remade.He is talking about a player quitting the game regularly. Even when the player quits the game on purpose, everyone has to way 30 seconds.

I do not think they can code it to where someone leaves/haveconnect problems. Maybe they can but who knows.

May 16, 2009 10:46:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting stryker247,
I do not think they can code it to where someone leaves/haveconnect problems. Maybe they can but who knows.
I didn't really understand that sentence. However, just to elaborate: it's a bug. The system sends a message to every player if the player ends the game. However, for some reason this message is either not received by the other players, before his connection drops or simply not processed. Therefore the system thinks the player's connection simply times out and shows the time out screen.

Somtimes it works though.

May 16, 2009 11:25:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

--

May 16, 2009 12:03:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Because I had someone in my game lag out for 29 seconds. We all thought he quit, but at the last second he came back and all way fine, and we continued to play. End Thread.

May 16, 2009 12:14:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OrleanKnight,
Because I had someone in my game lag out for 29 seconds. We all thought he quit, but at the last second he came back and all way fine, and we continued to play. End Thread.
No, you do not understand. The OP isn't complaining about having to wait 30 seconds for players that are actually timing out. He is complaining about the 30 second time out that happens most of the time a player quits intentionally (via the menu).

May 16, 2009 12:15:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OrleanKnight,

Irrelevant

Did that person actually manually disconnect from the game?  No, he did not.  He just had a router drop a few packets and had to burst them back your way so you knew he was still connected.  He did not actually try to disconnect from the game; it was just a net hiccup.

We're talking about when a person manually disconnects from the game.  Normally, a message would be sent to all the other clients saying "HEY I'M OUT DON'T EXPECT ANYMORE MESSAGES FROM ME" and the other clients would no longer expect messages from him.  There is no need to wait 30 seconds for a message from the client, since his last message said "HEY I'M OUT DON'T EXPECT ANYMORE MESSAGES FROM ME".  Thus, in the case of a manual disconnect, the 30 second time period is unnecessary.  In fact, if a player could rejoin a game within that 30 second window after manually disconnecting, I would think that would be a possible exploit (i.e. just keep manually disconnecting and rejoining to stall the game)

Gah spooky beat me

May 16, 2009 12:27:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting glasfod,

I have been actually starting to experience this a lot more. It is so annoying someone else drops and I get booted as well.

May 16, 2009 12:40:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sly_Squash,

Quoting OrleanKnight, reply 9Because I had someone in my game lag out for 29 seconds. We all thought he quit, but at the last second he came back and all way fine, and we continued to play. End Thread.
Irrelevant

Did that person actually manually disconnect from the game?  No, he did not.  He just had a router drop a few packets and had to burst them back your way so you knew he was still connected.  He did not actually try to disconnect from the game; it was just a net hiccup.

We're talking about when a person manually disconnects from the game.  Normally, a message would be sent to all the other clients saying "HEY I'M OUT DON'T EXPECT ANYMORE MESSAGES FROM ME" and the other clients would no longer expect messages from him.  There is no need to wait 30 seconds for a message from the client, since his last message said "HEY I'M OUT DON'T EXPECT ANYMORE MESSAGES FROM ME".  Thus, in the case of a manual disconnect, the 30 second time period is unnecessary.  In fact, if a player could rejoin a game within that 30 second window after manually disconnecting, I would think that would be a possible exploit (i.e. just keep manually disconnecting and rejoining to stall the game)

Gah spooky beat me

Perhaps the system or whatever you call it can't tell the difference between a "net hiccup" and a manual disconnect. I know next to nothing about computers and the like so I'm probably wrong, but could something along those lines be a possble explanation?

May 16, 2009 1:02:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JagerJack,
Perhaps the system or whatever you call it can't tell the difference between a "net hiccup" and a manual disconnect. I know next to nothing about computers and the like so I'm probably wrong, but could something along those lines be a possble explanation?
The system can tell the difference. It's just a bug. It doesn't even happen all the time. Sometimes when a player quits on purpose, he is dropped immediately.

When a player quits it sends this information to every other player. For some reason this information is either not received (or sent at all) or not being processed by the clients.

May 16, 2009 1:07:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This has only started happening since the patch too, before they would cleanly drop.

Now the game completely destabalizes when someone drops.  If people chain drop then you get to go make a sandwich before you can finish the game.

May 16, 2009 1:23:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,

Quoting JagerJack, reply 13Perhaps the system or whatever you call it can't tell the difference between a "net hiccup" and a manual disconnect. I know next to nothing about computers and the like so I'm probably wrong, but could something along those lines be a possble explanation?

The system can tell the difference. It's just a bug. It doesn't even happen all the time. Sometimes when a player quits on purpose, he is dropped immediately.
When a player quits it sends this information to every other player. For some reason this information is either not received (or sent at all) or not being processed by the clients.

Ah, I see. So I was partly correct, since it's a bug and not the system itself.

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,
This has only started happening since the patch too, before they would cleanly drop.

Now the game completely destabalizes when someone drops.  If people chain drop then you get to go make a sandwich before you can finish the game.

Agreed. For me this patch seems to have created more problems than it fixed. When someone quits half of the time everyone gets disconnected from each other, resulting in a good ole game against the AI.

May 16, 2009 2:34:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My favorite part is that half the time you get the annoying popup tha someone has split and that shit pops up every 5 seconds and you have to close it in order to move/use ability.

May 16, 2009 3:29:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This kind of bug happens a lot in networked applications. Imagine what happens inside the program when someone tries to shut it down while in the middle of a game:

The game calls a function that tells the networking layers under it to send out the message that the player is leaving. But the program never stops and waits for messages to get out to the network when it sends them - that would hang things horribly, so it just continues running trusting that sometime soon the lower networking software layers and the operating system will send it out. Unfortunately, in this case the program immediately continues on to terminates everything under it's control and exits. As it exits it is closing down it's connections to the networking layers, and if that happens before the "He's leaving" message gets out of the computer and into the network, then it is lost. Then as far as the other players can tell, it's just like the players internet connection went bad or their computer crashed, so you have to wait the 30 seconds.

There are ways to program the termination to avoid this, but it's pretty common to see bugs in this area in networking software.

May 18, 2009 3:39:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree waiting 30 sec's after someone rage quits, its like pouring salt into the wound. Not only is the game now basicly very one sided with someone dropping out and destroying the future of the game (3v2+ai is not cool), but you also end watching the 30 secs of 'can not interact' screen.

At least give other people the ability to quit, cause right after one player leaves, most of his fellow teammate quit as well. This leads to watching each player do his 30 secs of quit screen. If you slow and if takes a turn to quit, a 3v3 game makes you wait for 2.30 minutes.

This is the only game where I spend more time trying to play the game than actually playing the game. Each day the desires dies a little bit more.

May 18, 2009 4:16:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It has become increasingly annoying. And lately I have had to sit through two and three 30 second times out back to back because of people leaving the game.

One guys loses connection, wait 30 seconds, then his teamates proceed to leave via the quit game button, wait 30 seconds per player leaving. Yea, it gets really old, fast.

This is not Stardocks issue however, but hopefully Frogboy will pass it on to GPG.

May 18, 2009 10:56:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We are looking into getting a formal concede option that the game can differentiate from quit/disconnection. See Brad's latest journal for more details on what we're considering for post-connectivity-fix updates.

May 18, 2009 12:13:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looking at the journal post, I don't think that conceding should be the only thing that avoids this.  Whenever someone f10-e-QQs (f10, then clicks end game and quits) they shouldn't subject everyone else to a time out period.  The application knows you quit, it can tell everyone else "Don't wait for me"

Sure if they plug pull or control-alt-delete end task there's no way the other people know whether that person crashed, closed his program, lagged out, or lost connection, but it's far better than it is now where any quit = long wait.

This only happens since the patch last week too, so it's not like it has always been this way.

May 18, 2009 12:24:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is really annoying, I have had to wait 3 minutes because of remakes when 6 persons press "end game" before I do. This was not the case 1 week ago, if someone quit the game he just left. 

The REAL bummer is that while the timeout window is up.. YOU CANNOT PRESS ANY BUTTON ON SCREEN! 

If we could, we could just quit ourselves when we know the game has to be remade or whatever.

And also, there should really be a "reconnect" button in the lobby since, every game setup atleast 2 players has to reconnect due to the 0 ping stuff. And while were at it, why not a "remake game" that sets up the lobby as it was before, like in L4D.

May 18, 2009 1:01:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The 30 seconds is for forced bathroom and snack breaks. Otherwise, we'd all be 'Mom!!! More hot pockets!!!'

This eases the stress on Mom and avoids bowls placed next to the computer. I say keep 'em and make them longer.

May 18, 2009 1:11:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

yeah agreed the most annoying thing ever besides favor points.

look, i had 1 person quit, then another. I have to wait for 2minutes before i can play. thats just stupid. and BTW its always one person leaving after the other and that rly pisses me off, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO LEAVE(go to the main menu) if that screen comes up at least instead of having to wait 30 sec every time.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.