The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stats and Rage Quitting

By on May 15, 2009 5:03:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy seems to be about the only one making posts in the development journals so I figured I'd put my  two cents in for once.

Most of you are well aware that there are errors and bugs in the stats on the Pantheon website.  So I will start out by saying that we are working on fixing the problems.  However it has been a slow procress.  As mentioned in other posts, the stat side of things sometimes takes awhile to get addressed because some of the developers required to fix a problem have also been working on the much higher issue of network connectivity. 

So we have slowly been getting items fixed here and there but one thing we are not doing right now is going back and fixing data that has already been submitted.  But as new data comes it is more accurate and up to date.  Once we feel comfortable that we have the stats working where we want it to be we do plan on Resetting most or all of the data.  This way everyone will start with a clean slate and will be on equal footing.

One particular area that was worked on this week was how to deal with Rage Quitting.  In an effort to help give people an incentive not to rage quit we have made some adjustments to their stats for that game. So what we have done is set up a rule that if a player rage quits that he will automatically get marked as a loss and lose all favor points and achievements earned in that game.  Most cases a person is rage quitting because they are losing anyway, so the loss wont be that big of a deal. But any additional favor points they may have earned will be tossed out.

That's all I have for you now. I know there was a couple other items I wanted to report on but seem to have forgotton what they are.  If I remember I will be sure to update this thread or post a new journal entry.

+50 Karma | 74 Replies
May 17, 2009 11:06:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

MannanMackie's idea above is excellent.

May 17, 2009 12:28:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

maybe make the AI smarter?

May 17, 2009 1:01:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Honestly, you're trying to solve a problem with technology that is incapable of providing a solution. In order to make this "fair" and avoid massive frustration, you have to distinguish between intentional quits and hardware disconnects. How on earth are you going to be able to distinguish between someone who's machine or ISP caused a disconnect, and the guy who just pulls his network cable out in order to rage quit? When you can answer that question, I'll sign up for your proposal.

May 17, 2009 1:40:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Today I had to watch 10 minutes how the other team of 2 destroyed our citadel. They had more fun to kill me at the health stone instead of concentrating on the citadel.

I wanted a "surrender" option so bad! Like saying "GG i give up. You won. Let's start another game".

May 17, 2009 3:59:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While I do think there should be a penalty for rage quitting, I also think you should implement a Concede or Forfeit option. Right now, with the game being early in release and not exactly fine tuned, it's next to impossible to make a comeback when someone is 2-3 levels higher than you. In my experience, the team that gets First Blood wins.

May 17, 2009 5:09:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well it looks like theres at least a side effect to the rage quitting that is happening (to me at least) that's even more infuriating than the rage quit itself..

i played a few matches today and in 2 matches that we were winning handily, someone on the other side would rage quit and then cause someone on my side to disconnect

the first time it happened I was the other person that was disconnected and put into the match with all AI.. so I was punished because some guy couldn't handle losing

the next time someone rage quit in another match, my side was split so that I was with another guy and the other 2 guys who knows what happened to them but we were stuck with just 1 on their side (they might have had other players get disco'd because of the 1 ragequitter)

So far it's 2 for 2 for rage quitters causing other players in the game on either side to get disconnected.. I'm not sure if not being able to connect is worse or not being able to win again for fear that someone on the other side cant handle defeat is worse

this happening to anyone else?

May 18, 2009 4:24:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That is a first ste.

But what is needed is:

- a gloabal or at least personal banlist

- the ability to see people win /losss / quit when entering a game in order to have the ability not to play with leavers

Thank you

V

May 18, 2009 5:23:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One particular area that was worked on this week was how to deal with Rage Quitting.  In an effort to help give people an incentive not to rage quit we have made some adjustments to their stats for that game. So what we have done is set up a rule that if a player rage quits that he will automatically get marked as a loss and lose all favor points and achievements earned in that game.  Most cases a person is rage quitting because they are losing anyway, so the loss wont be that big of a deal. But any additional favor points they may have earned will be tossed out.

How will this affect the faction standings? I mean, if the points are thrown out then does that side lose out on those points?

May 18, 2009 5:56:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MannanMackie,
My two cents:

There needs to be a surrender mode, that allows a team to admit defeat.

If all Humans on one side agree to surrender - its over

Losers get a loss but no disconect
Other team doesn't get a say, but get given a win
Favor is given to both team's
Game end

Don't drag out a boring fight vs ai
If all Human players have left a game (disconect/rage) - its over

Doesn't Reward Favor to Losing Team
should be counted as both a loss and a disconect to the losers

As much as it sucks when it is a technical difficulty, to many people can abuse it -> C&C3 release for example
End any wining streak for the losers

Game ends, winning team gets favor

Don't drag out a boring fight vs ai
This will let;

a losing game end and reward people for surrendering
people who rage get penalised (no favor)
not force people to play against AI after wining
allow you to identify ragers (high disconect to game ratio)

This would vastly improve things... please take these points into consideration.

May 18, 2009 8:16:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think we need a better penalty then that..like lock them into same demigod & lock them out of using any favor/gaining favor for the NEXT two games.

This will likely reduce the number of rage quiters dramaticly (I know this will make me think twice).  and yes if they drop in the first 1-2 minutes I think I would probably not consider that a game played/rage quit..they most likey quit becuase of bad lag in this situation.

my 0.02

May 21, 2009 6:00:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod is like a game of tug-a-war. Except the rope is 3 miles long and the pit of mud in the middle is almost as long as the rope. When losing at demigod it feels like you are being dragged through the mud for miles and none of that is really fun. Chances for comebacks seem to be limited and perhaps need to be addressed to fix people quiting the moment they start to lose.

May 21, 2009 6:12:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is true that a couple of lucky or clever kills or unlucky/stupid deaths early in the game can pretty much decide the outcome, so if you've alreay lost, why stay?

May 21, 2009 7:58:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's an idea...

End Condition Favor Reasoning
Quit -200 Punishes quitters, perhaps scale it from a smaller penalty for consequtive quits
Lose Game Duration in minutes rewards losing team for hanging in there and putting up a good fight
Surrender Game Duration in minutes + 10 encourages losing team to not drag it out to milk the duration experience, but only if they are surrendering when their loss is most likely inevitable
Win Normal Favor  
Accept Surrender Normal Favor + 10 to encourage gracious winning, not dragging it out to torture other players.

Quoting CorDharel,
Today I had to watch 10 minutes how the other team of 2 destroyed our citadel. They had more fun to kill me at the health stone instead of concentrating on the citadel.

I wanted a "surrender" option so bad! Like saying "GG i give up. You won. Let's start another game".

It's hard to say in this situation (from the info you've given) whether they were intentionally tormenting you or just making sure you couldn't interfere;  but it would be nice (though very likely impossible) to find a way to penalize winning teams from dragging out a game unnecessarily.

May 24, 2009 6:01:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CorDharel,

Quoting Ciber,
It is true that a couple of lucky or clever kills or unlucky/stupid deaths early in the game can pretty much decide the outcome, so if you've alreay lost, why stay?

I've encountered both of these series of events.

In my own thread, I suggested that there is nothing for you to do in this game if you are on the loosing side. I think this is because the most common way to loose in this game is to be pushed into a corner, and then you're stuck (for example, in a FPS, you respawn at a different location).

I'll reiterate the suggestions I posted in that thread:

1) Make the game fun for the loosing side as well... (reduce cornering and improve Pantheon DG match-ups to make them fair)

2) Improve the social aspect of the game... (call-for-help-shortcuts which are visible on the map, permanent chat display, etc)

3) Improve the AI for people who still quit... (the AI stands still too much, I think, and should react to those call-for-help-shortcuts)

May 24, 2009 6:51:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CorDharel,

I'd assume that it's done to increase the exp? Some people like to spawn camp, a legit tactic, however much in bad taste it is. Most likely even if you'd been able to offer surrender, it would have been rejected.

A simple solution would be for a respawned player to have 3 seconds invul. Not much, but may provide the opportunity to teleport away in this scenario.

May 24, 2009 9:14:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's a competitive style of game. There will always be a way to grief others if you make arbitrary rules about quitting.... whether the winners dragging it out for achievement/favour garbage, or losers dropping on their team mates just after some time limit expires..

Just count the quit as a loss, as it rightly is. No need for anything extra. Warcraft3 has this right (which is why arranged team matches are very popular and random team is exactly what it says )

May 24, 2009 9:30:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is all logical and obvious construction on the future of the disconects and rage QQ'ers but....I wanna keep my fucking favor when these stats reset... I didnt play this early in the game to not keep what I have earned...I dont care about WIN LOSS stats, but things like Gameplay Time and Favor Points should be kept to accounts No matter what...Yes no?

EDIT: Im actually really mad about the incorrect stats...I like being better then people, and when I start doing something before the other people I want remenants to still exist from those times...It is like logging into an old game mmo or even NEOPETS and having an Item no one can longer get.   Maybe something to say Has been playing since THIS DATE.  I hope people see why I want this, I feel like i deserve not exactly a trophy, but something saying we have been playing longer then you, I was here back when This happened.  Etc etc...The deletion of Stats in general Needs to be thought over.

May 30, 2009 5:16:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think it would be a bad idea if rage quitters actually LOST favor points on top of the fact that they don't get the favor point rewards at the end of the game. Halo 3 does this sort of thing on xbox live. If you win a game, you earn an experience point. If you lose a game, you earn nothing. if you LEAVE a game before its over, you actually will LOSE a point. 

I think a minor penalty like that would help deal with rage quitters.

June 1, 2009 6:10:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Two options actually, "end game/give up" and "end game/draw"

The first option should be choosen by all (human) players on one side to take effect and results in an immediate end of the game with the other side declared victorious.

The second option should be choosen by the majority of all human players in the game and should simply end the game in a draw with no stats or favor points recorded.

Also consider the AI always voting yes for both and we have a rather flexible solution for players to end the game as they see fit.

June 1, 2009 6:19:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting drugfreeboy,
I don't think it would be a bad idea if rage quitters actually LOST favor points on top of the fact that they don't get the favor point rewards at the end of the game. Halo 3 does this sort of thing on xbox live. If you win a game, you earn an experience point. If you lose a game, you earn nothing. if you LEAVE a game before its over, you actually will LOSE a point. 

I think a minor penalty like that would help deal with rage quitters.

as long as their points can go into the negative as well. yea. Thing is, the loss should be comparative to the points gained on average when winning, so at least 100-150 favor points should be deducted for the penalty to have any effect. Otherwise they can just keep quitting and the win one easy game and everything is "forgotten". Plus games against the AI with no human opponents should yield no points and should not count in stats.

Noone really cares if me and my friend were having some fun mashing up AIs while trying out a new build. I sure as hell dont wanna see that on the stat page and count it as a win. Plus i dont want favor points from it either.

June 2, 2009 8:24:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally I have to say that on that list the #2 thing I'm looking forward to is reset of stats (and I beleive it said favor points aswell) because it is so annoying that because I got the game a few days ago, after the 5k favorpoint give out, that I was going against many people with such a distinct advantage.

Aditionally after connection and stat fixes a rating system should be instigated so you can know how good the person you are playing is. I think it is unfair that you can't know if someone is good or bad when making a custom game because how else can you make a fair match. When someone makes a game saying beginners only and I've joined people with Heaven's Wrath have been in there. It would also give a brag-factor more easily to the people who care about their rank/ however the system would rate someone, (win/loss, +1 for a win -1 for a loss and start at zero, etc)

June 5, 2009 3:42:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
  • How do you know if someone has rage quit, or crashed?
  • And if someone gets disconnected, and the rest of the team disconnects, should they also get punished?
  • If two or more on a team disconnects, and the others want to restart the match and also disconnect, does everyone get punished?

The above scenarios have now happened to me countless times in this game.

June 5, 2009 6:27:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting eobet,

How do you know if someone has rage quit, or crashed?

And if someone gets disconnected, and the rest of the team disconnects, should they also get punished?

If two or more on a team disconnects, and the others want to restart the match and also disconnect, does everyone get punished?

The above scenarios have now happened to me countless times in this game.

Excellent points, the 3rd one especially. I've seen that many times, the entire group will leave the game to reform because of lag, early disconnect, server split, or whatever. At that point, if I don't want to  keep playing vs the AI should I be marked as a rage quitter?

June 5, 2009 9:53:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How do you know if someone has rage quit, or crashed?
Doesn't matter; either way the player has left the game prematurely and ruined the experiance for others.  If you're in the habit of leaving, or the habit of crashing, then it's your own fault.  This game does not crash that often for most people, so if you're crashing all the time it's suggestive that there is something wrong with your rig (drivers, faulty hardware, etc etc), and even if it isn't 'your fault', the fact remains you crash more often than others.

* If two or more on a team disconnects, and the others want to restart the match and also disconnect, does everyone get punished?

That's a good point...  I suspect adding a mutual 'draw' option to the concede might make sense.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000468   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.