The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Favour item analysis - What is worth your favour

Why Speed Anklet should almost always be selected

By on May 15, 2009 3:14:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have looked at the Favour items and decided I would try to do some analysis and instead of giving them the Favour values, I tried to convert them to what the cost in gold was. Although, not entirely scientific, I cross referenced the stats to the item shop/cit prices and tried to award the favour item what it's gold value would be. Obviously, there are no precise matches for a lot of the item. So I generally took the core stats and match them first to get a base value, then adjust up or down.

Now the adjustment is fairly subjective. It would be great if people want to comment and maybe suggest re-ratings, but after I did it I felt that it seemed fairly fair and an accurate representation of what value the favour items offer. here is the Chart :

<!-- BODY,DIV,TABLE,THEAD,TBODY,TFOOT,TR,TH,TD,P { font-family:"Arial"; font-size:x-small } -->

Favour Item Nearest Item Cost

Bejeweled Goggles - 250
Not very useful, vision is not really a core stat
Charm of Life Banded Armour 550

Brilliant bauble Cit upgrade 1000

Only affects yourself so minus a little from 1200

Magical Coin Pouch - 5000

Avg Game reaches about 50K so it would save you that much

Swift Anklet Journey Man Tread 5500

Worth less due to effects

Symbol of Purity None 1500
Equivalent to a cheap trinket
Blood of the Fallen Banded Armourx2 1000

Dark Crimson Vial Twig of Life but self 2500

Amulet of Teleportation TP scroll 250/use
You need to use this at least more that 20times in a game to match Swift Anklet price, good for large maps.
Diamond Pendant Magus Rod 3000

Cape of Plentiful Mana - 2500

Not as useful as HoL

Samuels Cloak Boots of Speed 1000

Not sure that the movement penalty is that useful

Wings of Seraphim HoL minus Mana 2000
Half Price of HoL as it does not affect health

General Favour items

Totem of War - 1000
In between Glad gloves and Brutality gloves
Tome of Endurance Banded Armour 800

Pendant of Grace Assassin Footguards 1750

Ring of Divine Might Wyrmskin Handguards 1500

Horn of Battle Hauberk of Life 1750

Blood soaked Wand
Probably the best General specific item
Cloak of Might Scaled Helm + Warp 1500

Assassin Favour

Blood of Serpent - 3000

Poisoned Dagger - 2000
Difficult to guage worth of proc snare, when a lot of Dgs have snare already
Mards Hammer - 4000

Staff of Renewal - 4500

Essence of Magic - 4000

Furious Blade - 4000
Scales well
Heavens Wrath Orb of Veiled storms divide in two 4000

+9 Karma | 15 Replies
May 15, 2009 3:20:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To make some summary on this, it basically looks like Swift Anklet is the item of choice in most cases.

Amulet of teleportation comes close second and should be determined by map size.

Magical Coin Pouch may also be worthwhile in a long game.

Overall, most items are fairly weak compared to these big three.

Most of the assassin Favour items seem to be reasonably well balanced and helpful. The general items are woefully underpowered, often offering poor base stat increases and potentially useless skills.

Overall, the favour items need a little overhaul and balancing. It seems a little crazy that the best item (in comparison to the shop prices) is part of the first 5 favour items you can earn.

May 15, 2009 3:29:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are a few issues I have here.  The first is that you can't compare favour items once their "equivalent" stock item is in the 3000+ range.  This is because the favour item appears immediately, while items like Journeyman's Treads appears very late, almost in the artifact-level cost range.  That's a huge duration in the game when the favour item was granting benefit but the more costly item was not. 

Secondly, you have to remember that you cannot stack two of the same items.  This means favour items give you stacking that wouldn't normally be possible.  You cannot say that blood of the fallen is equal to two banded armours, because you cannot ever have two banded armours.  In fact, if you want to upgrade your health above what one banded armour offers, you have to throw out at least 1500 for a Nimoth's or 1750 for a Hauberk of Life.

The cheap early game items offer the best bang for your buck, but you have to remember that you're only allowed one of each, so if you want more than the scraps of stat they offer (even if it is at a very reasonable price) you have to stack more expensive items.  This is the real benefit of some of those favour items, particularly blood of the fallen, giving you a way to stack early on that would not normally be available.

I'd also disagree with your statement on symbol of purity.  It is a hand-tailored counted to the UB's spit.  There is no trinket in the game that has the same effect as it, and therefor it is quite invaluable.  There are times I'd gladly part with upwards of 3000 gold for its effect.  To say it's useless sometimes may be true, but it does not take away from the fact that in its ideal situation it's extraordinarily powerful.

In closing:

1) it's not appropriate to compare favour items to more expensive item's like journeyman's or HoL.  These higher end items are not accessible in the early game, and this is the part of the game where favour items are most significant.

2) when there is no equivalent item (as with symbol of purity) it is not appropriate to give a gold cost, since situationally the item may be invaluable since it has no equivalent.

3) you cannot compare stats directly in many cases because the favour item offers "stacking" possibilities that would not otherwise be viable, and certainly not possible at the low costs of some of the basic items like banded mail.

May 15, 2009 3:48:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting analysis.

Boots of Speed give 10% movement increase for 1000

Swift Anklet gives 15% movement increase so I'd value it at about 1500 to 2500

Charm of Life also reduces death penalty by 10% so it should be worth atleast 1000

Magic Coin Purse allows you to buy upgrades 10% sooner.

In my opinion, for an all minion build Ring of Divine Might is the way to go if you don't get Swift Anklet or Amulet of Teleportation

May 15, 2009 3:50:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) it's not appropriate to compare favour items to more expensive item's like journeyman's or HoL. These higher end items are not accessible in the early game, and this is the part of the game where favour items are most significant.

2) when there is no equivalent item (as with symbol of purity) it is not appropriate to give a gold cost, since situationally the item may be invaluable since it has no equivalent.

3) you cannot compare stats directly in many cases because the favour item offers "stacking" possibilities that would not otherwise be viable, and certainly not possible at the low costs of some of the basic items like banded mail.

Yeah I understand the arguments, the point I was trying to make was that for all the items in the game to be comparable, they need to be in the same standard. Trying to find similar worth items is valid IMO. Their worth is perhaps tenfold, as what would take you 5500 gold to save up for is available from the start. However, if you rebalance the items in the gold standard, you can see how unbalanced they really are.

On the specificness of some items, this goes for the shop items too. Buying say Slayers Wraps for Sedna is not so wise, as the 10% crit is not that great for her, stacking it on UB or Regulus is far more worthwhile, it still has a value in gold. It is hard to make an appropriate cost, however, it can still be made and compared.

On the cost of stacking this can still be done, maybe I just need to up the value, so 2x Banded Armour would be worth 3 times as much. However, there is still a price as many of the later cost items have more powerful combos.

I think it just shows though, how unbalanced the favour items are. These items could be in the shop, they would have a price, thus they can be converted. To compare them to the shop prices is worthwhile as it will affect your judgement to purchase them. Gold wins games, favour does not.

May 15, 2009 4:07:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) it's not appropriate to compare favour items to more expensive item's like journeyman's or HoL. These higher end items are not accessible in the early game, and this is the part of the game where favour items are most significant.

absolutely correct.

Overall, the favour items need a little overhaul and balancing. It seems a little crazy that the best item (in comparison to the shop prices) is part of the first 5 favour items you can earn.

it makes it so that you can still be competitive after you play 5 games vs people who have played hundreds of games, it was done on purpose.

May 15, 2009 4:28:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, Journeyman's treads don't cost 6500 because of the 15% static boost to speed, they cost that much because of the additional 50% boost of speed that you almost always get when you need it.

But as someone said, the stacking-ness of things is more important.  The Blood of the Fallen is very solid early on because of the massive amount of hit points it gives you.  And you always have that much MORE than someone with some other item.  Wanna see someone with serious beefcakage... have them pick up the blood AND a Banded armor.  10 hps and 1200 hit points is amazing compared to a starting character with just an anklet.

Conversely, 15% more speed form an anklet also stacks with a potential first level purchase of boots of speed.  +25% movement speed is rarely matched in the first 5 levels.

May 15, 2009 5:51:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're way off on Cloak of Night - the cheapest other item that offers Warp is the Warpstone, which is 5500g and offers no other bonuses.  Furthermore, I think you might want to consider that the items that boost base mana regen - Cloak of Night and Essence of Magic - also drastically boost the effectiveness of +% Mana Regen items that you can get later in the game.  Without the Cloak of Night, it's substantially more difficult for Erebus to reach the 125 MP/s needed for infinite mist-form.

May 15, 2009 7:19:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're drastically undervaluing some of these items by ignoreing their abilities... for example, Ring of Divine Might lets your minions "knock away smaller enemies", which means kill them with one hit. That's pretty useful, and something you can't get through any other item.

May 16, 2009 12:10:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Blood of the fallen is an amazing item mostly for the reason darvin has already point out.

Consider the following players right out of the starting gate:

1. 1600 health, 25 percent more run speed
2. 2800 health, 10 regen.

Thats nearly double the health. 

May 16, 2009 12:17:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Miyamiya,
Blood of the fallen is an amazing item mostly for the reason darvin has already point out.

Consider the following players right out of the starting gate:

1. 1600 health, 25 percent more run speed
2. 2800 health, 10 regen.

Thats nearly double the health. 
Right.  Assuming roughly equal skill and power, the first player will be using that 25% extra run speed to flee for his crystal, while the second will be farming creeps for XP and cash.

May 16, 2009 12:59:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SolaceAvatar,
You're drastically undervaluing some of these items by ignoreing their abilities... for example, Ring of Divine Might lets your minions "knock away smaller enemies", which means kill them with one hit. That's pretty useful, and something you can't get through any other item.

It would be awesome if it did, but it doesn't work as advertised.

May 16, 2009 3:55:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With TB at least, I always use Swift Anklet.  I never have mana problems since I can usually afford the crown pretty fast anyway, and it let's me outrun assasin's early game so I can hit and run with rain of ice to kill creeps if I can't get them anywhere else. (rain of ice has some great range) Plus it stacks with speed boots, meaning I can outrun demigods even more and chase them when all my skills are more damaging later.

When it comes to favor, I'd say it greatly depends on your demigod.  Ranged demigods are great with swift anklet, but melee characters like Sedna and UB are great with them too.  All other demigods it depends on the map IMO.

May 16, 2009 4:43:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea have to agree depends on the DG and map. Teleport I find useful on large maps but don't think I use it enough to warrant the slot and money saved usually. Swift is usually my choice but the ones I tend to not use it on are Sedna and UB.

May 16, 2009 6:29:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zygwen,
Interesting analysis.

Boots of Speed give 10% movement increase for 1000

Swift Anklet gives 15% movement increase so I'd value it at about 1500 to 2500

Charm of Life also reduces death penalty by 10% so it should be worth atleast 1000

Magic Coin Purse allows you to buy upgrades 10% sooner.

In my opinion, for an all minion build Ring of Divine Might is the way to go if you don't get Swift Anklet or Amulet of Teleportation

For all minion builds I've found the Pendant of Grace is pretty superb.  The 15% dodge for the General is just icing.  Try it out and watch how many times you see 'EVADE' in green on your minions.  With a minion Erebus it gets pretty crazy and your rolypoly guys can take down towers due to the extra survivability.  Definitely seems like more than 10%

May 16, 2009 1:21:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Harkonis,

For all minion builds I've found the Pendant of Grace is pretty superb.  The 15% dodge for the General is just icing.  Try it out and watch how many times you see 'EVADE' in green on your minions.  With a minion Erebus it gets pretty crazy and your rolypoly guys can take down towers due to the extra survivability.  Definitely seems like more than 10%

I've tried the Pendant of Grace. 15% dodge is nice to have around but if you want to maximize minion dps then the ring is the way to go. Early game the ring is worth 2 ranks of moral and late game its equivalent to 1 or 1.5 ranks in Moral when calculating dps.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.