The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Pleaase fix Heart of Life (and make it work the way it says)

By on May 13, 2009 11:52:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There have been tons of "nerf heart of life" posts and complaints. However, the only reason for this is that...

THE ITEM IS BROKEN and not OP. It just does not work the way it says.

It should heal 200 health per second + 300 mana, or whatever.

Instead it heals about 1000 of each, and fully heals a 4k health DG in about 3 seconds.

Please fix this.

+15 Karma | 24 Replies
May 14, 2009 12:05:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just timed it, it has a ten second duration, not three.

Don't forget other healing effects also contribute during this period too (like natural regen + items etc).

May 14, 2009 12:16:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Or maybe potions added into the mix

May 14, 2009 12:50:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it really is broken but i dont care its awesome it can heal a 5k health 6k mana tb i played earlier...when it should only heal 3k of each, hp and mp.

May 14, 2009 12:57:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I think it's kinda broken and overpowered, but I'd hate to play without it. It makes the game go much faster once everyone has one. So, um, maybe it should be moved to the artifact shop.

May 14, 2009 1:01:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Eh. Unless you've got a nice Oak or QoT on your team, it means you're going to have to run away to get it to work. That usually means I get to cap the flag. And that usually means that flag gets locked. I win in the end.

I don't buy it. Better things to get with my gold.

May 14, 2009 1:26:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

QoT can't do anything about it. Bramble doesn't affect HoL anyways. If you get hit with bramble on, HoL will stop recharging you. 

I hope my english isn't too bad  

May 14, 2009 1:30:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You should not be able to move while using the heart of life.  And it should not be taking up a consumable slot, it should be in a normal item slot.

That should fix it.

May 14, 2009 1:53:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Opawan,
QoT can't do anything about it. Bramble doesn't affect HoL anyways. If you get hit with bramble on, HoL will stop recharging you. 

I hope my english isn't too bad  

Either way, I still win in the end. Makes it even better for me.

May 14, 2009 2:51:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heart is obviously at its worst if you're trying to win a quick scuffle over a flag, and it'll get locked if you lose.  However, there are lots of other situations where heart is definitely a life-saver.  One of the most important is to quickly recharge after a tough fight.  I'll often chase off one demigod, and may only have a few seconds before backup arrives.  Being able to go from no mana and half health to full mana and health before that happens is well worth the cost.

One of my favourite ways to use heart is in the middle of battle.  Use a stun or activate something like a wand of speed to move out of attack range, then use the heart.  Even if you don't recharge to full health and mana, you'll still get a lot of juice out of it.  A close battle can often be decided if you have enough mana to use a powerful ability one extra time, and a good in-combat application of heart is the perfect way to do this.  The thing recharges so fast that even if you fail it's not a big deal.

May 14, 2009 4:16:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Darvin3,
Heart is obviously at its worst if you're trying to win a quick scuffle over a flag, and it'll get locked if you lose.  However, there are lots of other situations where heart is definitely a life-saver.  One of the most important is to quickly recharge after a tough fight.  I'll often chase off one demigod, and may only have a few seconds before backup arrives.  Being able to go from no mana and half health to full mana and health before that happens is well worth the cost.

One of my favourite ways to use heart is in the middle of battle.  Use a stun or activate something like a wand of speed to move out of attack range, then use the heart.  Even if you don't recharge to full health and mana, you'll still get a lot of juice out of it.  A close battle can often be decided if you have enough mana to use a powerful ability one extra time, and a good in-combat application of heart is the perfect way to do this.  The thing recharges so fast that even if you fail it's not a big deal.
My current favorite method is to:
1) Spit/Or any other DOT

2) Use Heart

3) Immediately use Orb of Defiance

This gives me 5 seconds of them melting and me regening about 1200-1500 health/mana depending on my timing. One of the best things for me is to see the utter frustration of my enemy when they drop a chink of mana on me while I'm invuln.

May 14, 2009 5:22:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its fine, its not broken. At best its a portable regeneration crystal. Whats so overpowered about it? I don't think its broken either there are times when i've used it unhassled and not regen'd to my maximum mana?

And at 4.5k gold, it better be damn useful.

May 14, 2009 6:15:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kerzain,

Don't forget other healing effects also contribute during this period too (like natural regen + items etc).

I realize it lasts 10 seconds.

It heals a shit ton more than 2000/3000 during that time, because the 2000/3000 mark is met after just a few seconds. Natural regen does not account for the difference.

May 14, 2009 6:18:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, it heals 3000. As it's supposed to be.

May 14, 2009 6:34:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sigh.

I'll run tests when I get time tomorrow or on the weekend.

May 14, 2009 6:46:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sythion,

Quoting kerzain,
reply 1

I realize it lasts 10 seconds.

It heals a shit ton more than 2000/3000 during that time, because the 2000/3000 mark is met after just a few seconds. Natural regen does not account for the difference.
No, it doesn't. It really doesn't.

May 14, 2009 6:59:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sythion,
Sigh.

I'll run tests when I get time tomorrow or on the weekend.
No need to.

Health before Heart of Life:

Health after Heart of Life:

Note: the difference of 476 that is still there is the result of self healing and I didn't start the Heart of Life right after the first screenshot (I started with a Level 20 Rook, so that I would have enough health to test it right from the start).

May 14, 2009 8:35:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well /thread

time to stop whining because he just proved it was fine

May 14, 2009 8:43:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jdub121686,
well /thread

time to stop whining because he just proved it was fine

yup. Looks like.

I guess my own experiences must have been poorly observed.

Just to be on the safe side I'm going to check it with items/abilities to see if there's some kind of exponential stacking effect going on. Can't today though.

May 14, 2009 8:47:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,
You should not be able to move while using the heart of life.  And it should not be taking up a consumable slot, it should be in a normal item slot.

That should fix it.

Wait a minute.

There's a distinction between consumable slots and item slots?

I'm not familiar with this.

Do you mean the distinction between slots for items bought in the game and the favor item slot?

May 14, 2009 9:24:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NO you have 8 slots. 5 for gear w/o a use ability.  And 3 for stuff w/ a use ability.  Its not consumable is useable and not useable items.

May 14, 2009 10:19:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Actually... if you can use it, it will be in the consumable slots. I don't think anything goes into the consumable slots that can't be used.

I also think HoL has either been fixed or has a bug when used with other items or on certain DGs. I really don't buy it often anymore. I know that I've gone from like 100/100 to 6k/6k with it before though.

The behavior seemed to basically be that unless I was hit, it was going to fill me up and top me off as though it was the crystal.

May 14, 2009 10:41:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its fine, its not broken. At best its a portable regeneration crystal. Whats so overpowered about it?

There's a reason that the health crystal is all the way in the back of your base (crappy Exile notwithstanding).  Massive front line mana and health healing is pretty broken.

It reminds of when they introduced the bottle into Dota.  At first it gave you pretty huge health and mana restoration with each use, and was quickly nerfed down to the much smaller health/mana refill it is today.

Heart of life should have the same occur.

May 14, 2009 12:45:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, it should be changed, but don't decrase it's health/mana regen.  It just needs greater restrictions (and perhaps take a little longer), like not being able to move like someone said above.  Alternately, maybe greately reduced armor and slow when in use or every hit is a critical/2x + slow when it's being used.  Basically, it should be high risk/high reward.

May 14, 2009 12:50:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

now nerf it

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000813   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.