The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Introducing DGBanlist.com

By on May 12, 2009 6:01:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

alban987

Join Date 04/2006

A central place for people to list people they've had a bad experience with, why, and for those accused to vindicate.

The site is pretty simple right now. I'll be adding more features this week. Feel free to suggest a new feature or change you'd like to see.

You can view bans without registering but in order to submit a ban you must register.

The url is : http://www.dgbanlist.com

Thanks!

Locked Post 176 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 12, 2009 6:13:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With no accountability (can make a dummy account) I smell griefing.

May 12, 2009 6:16:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I thought about that and I think that if you appeal and the person who originally posted against you does not respond, your lisitng is removed.

May 12, 2009 6:18:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Are you fucking serious?

May 12, 2009 6:20:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think a site like this only serves to divide a community and promote internal aggression. Not  good thing, imo.

May 12, 2009 6:22:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alban what's your game name? Want to add you for making this terrible website.

Banlists do nothing but seperate a community and cause people to be petty little morons.

May 12, 2009 6:24:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's kind of the point... I don't want to be part of the community that rage quits or does any other number of things to be a shit player.

Let me ask you a question. If you knew ahead of time that someone was likely to leave the first time they died would you leave them in the game or boot them before it started?

May 12, 2009 6:25:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NO NO NO NO NO! VERY BAD ALBAN!

Banlists do nothing but seperate a community and cause people to be petty little morons.

quoted for truth.

I don't want to be part of the community that rage quits or does any other number of things to be a shit player.

with the current connectivity issues, ragequiting may not even be occuring at this time. also i think it would be better off to wait until clans are implemented, you could join one and play "inhouse" games and not have to worry about people leaving.

May 12, 2009 6:30:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Xinoxlx,
Alban what's your game name? Want to add you for making this terrible website.

If you don't have anything constructive to add then please find a different thread. Thanks

May 12, 2009 6:32:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Centralized banlists have not and will never work.  There is an extreme lack of authority and accountability.  Anyone can ban anyone effortlessly.

Additionally, there's not even any evidence - there's no replays to show what happened.  Stats are bugged out so you can't even prove who was where.

This is a failure.

May 12, 2009 6:36:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting alban987,
That's kind of the point... I don't want to be part of the community that rage quits or does any other number of things to be a shit player.

Let me ask you a question. If you knew ahead of time that someone was likely to leave the first time they died would you leave them in the game or boot them before it started?

If I knew ahead of time it wouldn't be due to a banlist. (I know i'm being smart about it but...)

On the other side of it even with personal banlists someone could join a game and due to another persons banlist they're informed the players bad for whatever reason. They then ask me to kick them and the reason would be "for xxx reason," suddenly I should be listening to hearsay? For all you know the person was added when he was having a bad day or because his team-mates were morons. With a banlist there's too much that can happen that's not taken into account.

Another example what if someone was banned because they were new? Not only is that a terrible reason but it's a horrible thing to do to someone who's new to the game possible even the whole genre of game. Week or so passes and he's not a noob anymore but he can't join the "3v3 pro's only!" Cause the host is that guy who banned him when he first logged on.

You simply cannot guarentee someone won't abuse it. Although the good intention is there, the exploitability is too high for it.

May 12, 2009 6:45:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This would be bad enough if it was centralised and part of helping the moderators distribute ingame karma or whatever fFrogboy mentioned earlier, but it seems a third party site dedicated to such things will just turn into mud slinging at people for no real raeson. Sure in the happy go perfect world this might be useful to a degree, but this is the internet with anonyminity. Not to mention what use is such a site, who is going to alt tab to the banlist in every custom game they play and then bitch out anyone on the list.

This, if it did happen, would ruin the game experience for this person and they may not even know what they have been accused of. The whole idea while may have had good intentions seems ultimately flawed and will only serve to either disrupt the community, or just become a source of people bitching at each other.

If you play someone you don't like playing with personally, keep a note yourself, or wait for a feature that lets you track these people, there is no reason to share your greivences with another player with everyone on the planet.

May 12, 2009 6:46:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If it's anything like War3 Banlist then it's not as harsh as you guys imagine. If someone has banlisted a certain player you get a warning, possibly with a reason. IF multiple persons have that one banlisted (not sure what the cap was) you can allow the tool to kick them, or warn you of that. THat's about it. It's so people HAVE some accountability when they join the game just to quit when they get killed the first time they try to attack a group of3 heroes. Or are generally being an ass, or staying in the game but doing nothing for 5 minutes!

May 12, 2009 6:49:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

See now that is actual constructive criticism.

One of the ideas I had to mitigate that was a system similar to Reddit or other sites of that ilk where you can upvote or downvote bans.. So if there is already a ban listed for a player you would simply upvote it and add your own piece to it.

I'm perfectly open to suggestions and am completely willing to craft this to the community's wishes and wants. Just don't come at me with both barrels blazing. Tell me something constructive and it will be considered for sure.

May 12, 2009 6:51:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's another thing I was thinking of doing.. basically adding in personal banlists that only you see or perhaps a list sorted of just people you've put on.

May 12, 2009 6:52:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If it's anything like War3 Banlist then it's not as harsh as you guys imagine. If someone has banlisted a certain player you get a warning, possibly with a reason. IF multiple persons have that one banlisted (not sure what the cap was) you can allow the tool to kick them, or warn you of that. THat's about it. It's so people HAVE some accountability when they join the game just to quit when they get killed the first time they try to attack a group of3 heroes. Or are generally being an ass, or staying in the game but doing nothing for 5 minutes!

The wc3 banlist was a bit of a clusterfuck.  I ended up deleting all my "publicly uploaded" records and only use my friends ones.  Too many times people are banned even though they did nothing wrong.

And in a casual game like this, you can expect the general competency level to not be as high as DoTA.  Thus, you're going to have an extremely divided community which is probably not a good thing.

If there needs to be one of these "lists", a whitelist is much better.  That way, people aren't punished for not playing well enough, or leaving for valid reasons, etc.

May 12, 2009 6:54:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lord_Byte,
If it's anything like War3 Banlist then it's not as harsh as you guys imagine. If someone has banlisted a certain player you get a warning, possibly with a reason. IF multiple persons have that one banlisted (not sure what the cap was) you can allow the tool to kick them, or warn you of that. THat's about it.
What do you mean by "that's about it"? That's as harsh as it can get. Banlists are a stupid idea and will lead to griefing and therefore innocent people on it, unless the threshold is considerably high. False positives on a banlist are unacceptable.

May 12, 2009 6:55:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Indeed Lord_Byte, WC3Banlist was a useful tool.  I mainly used it because it made it easy for me as a host to keep track of problem players and keep them from ruining further games.

May 12, 2009 6:56:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lots of the complaints I've read on these forums were from people saying "That &*#@ kept feeding the enemy!".  Course, if their new players they will "feed" (some it will take weeks to learn not to).  I can just imagine if you can ban people for being noobish, yikes.  "That Noob cost me the game, and would'nt listen to me, he's going on the ban list!"  And how would a new player even know about the ban list?  Or that he had to go there to "undo" the ban? He would only know he could not get into hardly any games.

May 12, 2009 6:56:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alban I think its simply too early for something like this. Until they can get the connection problems fleshed out.

And then for you DOta players you guys know the all too common Banlist on there. And some of the "I AM PRO LEET PLAYER LOL" that will ban you for having a bad game. Plenty abuse that tool on Dota games and I was banned for example by a host because he said I sucked. I may have sucked that game I admit but its not a bannable offense, especially since I don't suck every game.

May 12, 2009 6:59:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting PurplePaladin,
Lots of the complaints I've read on these forums were from people saying "That &*#@ kept feeding the enemy!".  Course, if their new players they will "feed" (some it will take weeks to learn not to).  I can just imagine if you can ban people for being noobish, yikes.  "That Noob cost me the game, and would'nt listen to me, he's going on the ban list!"
Indeed. And it's not only about noobs. What about people who timed out? Surely some people will be outraged by that, even though the player who timed out didn't do it deliberately.

In order to prevent that, the threshold should be very high. Which defeats the purpose of the banlist, so why do anything like it in the first place..

May 12, 2009 7:01:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ehh... didn't even work when I registered and tried to log in. You want constructive criticism? I'll give you constructive criticism.

First of all, the site looks like crap. There was no message the first time I logged in. I was confused and thought that my browser had not finished loading the page because the page didn't look finished.

Second of all, the user interface is horrible. After I registered, no confirmation came up. I was confused about whether or not my account was created.

And on top of that, I agree when everybody says that a central banlist is absolute crap. Look at the good it did for DotA. It is easily bypassible by just creating a new name, and the only thing it insured was that the people operating the banlists were absolute dicks. People still left and people still hacked. Forcing the accuser to bring a valid replay and screenshots would be a great move in the right direction.

While banlists for griefers aren't so successful, I would push for more of a banlist for hackers. You can't just rely on software to detect the cheaters and allowing people to do the job would be much more efficient. HOWEVER, the people who shout "HAX" everytime they die should be factored in when creating such a banlist.

May 12, 2009 7:02:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ban list? What does a "ban list" that isn't anything but a he said/she said list of names not caught doing anything other than playing resolve?

In order to have a list that means anything like punk buster ban list it would have to be created by players actually cheating not because random guy on the internet says "don't play with this yahoo".

May 12, 2009 7:07:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well then provide sufficient incentive for the treshold to be high enough, a banlist is gonna happen sooner or later, whether you like it or not...

I've banlisted like 8 people over the course of half a year that were generally being arseholes, or actual honest to god feeders and quitters, two ended up in a game with me again, one I informed and he started raging again (kick) and the other apologised, and we played a fun game, after which I removed him from the list.  Most did have an upvote and I used those quite a lot though

May 12, 2009 7:08:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First of all, the site looks like crap. There was no message the first time I logged in

What do you mean? When you log in the login prompt goes away and the menu items slightly change accordingly.

As far as some of the stuff looking unfinished... well that's because it is.... 

Was there a welcome message in the middle of the page the first time you visited? There should be, anyways.

When you register it sends you an email with your details. I could slow it down and add a "Hey, thanks for registering" thingy to it as well.

May 12, 2009 7:09:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

with no independent means of verification of the claims on the ban list this cannot be administered in a fair way. 

the only acceptable means of proof ought to be an in-game replay video of the incident. until that can be posted you should not go forward with your website. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time: