The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Introducing DGBanlist.com

By on May 12, 2009 6:01:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

alban987

Join Date 04/2006

A central place for people to list people they've had a bad experience with, why, and for those accused to vindicate.

The site is pretty simple right now. I'll be adding more features this week. Feel free to suggest a new feature or change you'd like to see.

You can view bans without registering but in order to submit a ban you must register.

The url is : http://www.dgbanlist.com

Thanks!

Locked Post 176 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 13, 2009 4:19:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i find it funny that people are dismissing the idea of a banlist.  in practice, they only work under certain circumstances, but as an idea, it's a way for the community to regulate itself better in the face of the chaotic multiplayer system that is custom game lobbies.  if i'm forced to use the custom games list for a reliably good game, then stardock certainly has given me no option save to avoid, from experience, certain players that are known to leave or, in some other way, intentionally ruin the game for me.  there certainly is currently no incentive for players to not same-team grief in games, afterall.

L4D allows a team to kick people in their custom games system, and a new person can just take the spot.  it's arbitrary and can be abused, but it's better to have that feature than not.  a friend of mine loves to join expert campaigns and shoot people down for laughs.  imagine if his teammates couldn't kick him?

other games give you the option between playing competitively or in custom games.  there's implemented incentives to try hard and not grief in competitive play in these games, but there's rarely any incentive to do so in the custom games.  players are left to deal with such behavior.  for demigod's competitive play, the pantheon and skirmish modes are too undeveloped imo too call them a working competitive system

May 13, 2009 4:21:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

double post

May 13, 2009 4:29:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting taintofven,
L4D allows a team to kick people in their custom games system, and a new person can just take the spot.  it's arbitrary and can be abused, but it's better to have that feature than not.
No, it is not. Unjustified branding and subsequent kicking out of a game is unacceptable.

May 13, 2009 4:34:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,

Quoting Ouchy Dathurts, reply 3If he got banned by one person who cares? Personal banlists don't really matter to anyone but that specific host. Banlist had a set of approved bans. Bans from people who were basically known to not abuse the system and those bans were basically global. The personal bans only show up one 1 persons computer.We aren't talking about personal bans here. We are talking about general branding of every player for everyone.

Quoting Ouchy Dathurts, reply 3In DotA if someone shows up and I don't have them banned myself someone will spam their reason for banning. Usually there is no reason its just "Joe is banned". At which point I just kick the person with the ban and the person stating the ban and save myself the grief. If a friend of mine has someone banned I'll kick the offender since I'm actually going to trust that they did something wrong.That's just horrible...

How is that horrible? If your evidence is nothing then keep your mouth shut. "Joe is banned" isn't a viable reason to kick someone. Maybe Joe did something, not going to take the chance, kicked. Guy with the ban is clearly lazy, not worth my time, kick. Would it make more sense to just take someones word for it when they present zero evidence? There's no point in my wasting my time so I'll free up 2 slots which will be filled in seconds and we move on with our lives.

I host 99% of the games my friends play in so it's not too often they'll come up with a ban I don't already have. But when they do I'm taking their word for it. I'm the host, it's my game you want to join, i reserve the right to kick people out rather than deal with the riff raff. If you don't like it host your own game, which the majority of people on bnet can't do. I can so don't be a douche. It's really as simple as that. You're playing on my time, on my server why shouldn't I be able to be the last word?

Again, since you're concerned, global bans arent an issue unless you're a complete fuckup. ZERO global bans exist for pub games, not a single one. The global bans exist from TDA which has a specific ruleset and a certain level of exclusivity (hoops to jump through). If you're willing to jump through those hoops to get into TDA then decide to be a twat you got banned for a damn good reason and you should be banned for life from DotA games. Now there are no actual lifelong bans as you can just make a new username but you've got to now jump through those TDA hoops again if you want to get back in. That global ban comes with the tag of ultimate fucktard though. You went out of your way to ruin a game and there is a replay archived somewhere to prove it. Don't cry, you did it to yourself.

Personal bans don't matter one iota except to a single person. Not a issue, a ban system in game is coming anyways so  stardock seems to agree. People should be accountable for what they do in a game. Playing in someone elses game isn't a democracy.

May 13, 2009 4:37:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, it is not. Unjustified branding and subsequent kicking out of a game is unacceptable.

and people don't get kicked for those reasons, most of the time.  people mostly get kicked for douchebaggery.  the second most common reason is friends making room for each other, which still requires 3 votes if the vote truly is arbitrary, and that plays a little into why valve is adding a Looking4Four matchmaking system

May 13, 2009 4:38:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,

Quoting taintofven, reply 1L4D allows a team to kick people in their custom games system, and a new person can just take the spot.  it's arbitrary and can be abused, but it's better to have that feature than not.No, it is not. Unjustified branding and subsequent kicking out of a game is unacceptable.

I don't play these games to satisfy some guys hard on for being a douche and griefing or feeding or talking mad shit, or getting racial, or leaving. Maybe you do, but I sure as hell don't. Banlists make it so I never have to deal with that person again. Maybe you're one of the leavers, maybe you get your rocks off ruining games. I don't know but there really isn't much of an argument against these kinds of programs. Their effectiveness is debatable but it's better than not existing.

Playing with someone that ruins a game once is more than enough. I shouldn't be subjected to the person more than that.

May 13, 2009 4:53:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is horrible. Even if there are people who you ultimately don't want to play this, don't do something like this! Most people in this community want to avoid being hostile and unwelcoming like the DotA community, and this is one of the things we can't have.

They will add personal ignore lists, so you can choose to avoid being matched with people you don't like. Personal banlists are okay, global banlists are not.

May 13, 2009 5:15:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Global banlists are an extreme waste of time. In DotA, they're largely an excuse to get a slot open for a friend. You don't even have to have a list, as long as you know ctrl+c, ctrl+v. I fail to see how they would be any use whatsoever in a game which is clearly having connectivity issues.

May 13, 2009 5:20:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ouchy Dathurts,
How is that horrible? If your evidence is nothing then keep your mouth shut. "Joe is banned" isn't a viable reason to kick someone. Maybe Joe did something, not going to take the chance, kicked. Guy with the ban is clearly lazy, not worth my time, kick. Would it make more sense to just take someones word for it when they present zero evidence? There's no point in my wasting my time so I'll free up 2 slots which will be filled in seconds and we move on with our lives.
You do not make any sense.

• First you say that "Joe is banned" isn't a viable reason to kick somone.
  • But then you say you are not going to take the chance and kick him.
  • Then you talk about a "guy with the ban is being lazy" (what?) and kick that guy too, for whatever reason.
  • Then you say it wouldn't make sense to take someones word when they present zero evidence.
  • Yet you will kick the guy who was banned for *no evidence*

Quoting Ouchy Dathurts,
Again, since you're concerned, global bans arent an issue unless you're a complete fuckup. ZERO global bans exist for pub games, not a single one. The global bans exist from TDA which has a specific ruleset and a certain level of exclusivity (hoops to jump through). If you're willing to jump through those hoops to get into TDA then decide to be a twat you got banned for a damn good reason and you should be banned for life from DotA games. Now there are no actual lifelong bans as you can just make a new username but you've got to now jump through those TDA hoops again if you want to get back in. That global ban comes with the tag of ultimate fucktard though. You went out of your way to ruin a game and there is a replay archived somewhere to prove it. Don't cry, you did it to yourself.

Personal bans don't matter one iota except to a single person. Not a issue, a ban system in game is coming anyways so  stardock seems to agree. People should be accountable for what they do in a game. Playing in someone elses game isn't a democracy.
This topic is not about personal bans. It's about a public ban list for custom games.

Quoting Ouchy Dathurts,
I don't play these games to satisfy some guys hard on for being a douche and griefing or feeding or talking mad shit, or getting racial, or leaving. Maybe you do, but I sure as hell don't. Banlists make it so I never have to deal with that person again. Maybe you're one of the leavers, maybe you get your rocks off ruining games. I don't know but there really isn't much of an argument against these kinds of programs. Their effectiveness is debatable but it's better than not existing.
How is griefing that cause innocent players to land on the banlist not an argument against it?

May 13, 2009 5:22:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting comanoodle,
Most people in this community want to avoid being hostile and unwelcoming like the DotA community

There is nothing seperating this community from DotA. As much as some people might not like it it will turn into a community like theirs. It's the same genre which breeds competitiveness to a level many games dont. You can take any genre and across the titles the community is cut from the same cloth. Take and MMO forum and you'll find the same people in the EQ1, EQ2, WAR, WOW forums, they've all got the exact same community. The only difference is WoW has so many more people than all those other MMOs that it seems like there are more douches.

It's coming, just saying =P

May 13, 2009 5:37:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,

First you say that "Joes is banned" isn't a viable reason to kick somone.
Then you say you are not going to take the chance and kick him.
Then you talk about a "guy with the ban is being lazy" (what?) and kick that guy too, for whatever reason.
Then you say it wouldn't make sense to take someones word when they present zero evidence.
Yet you will kick the guy who was banned for *no evidence*

This topic is not about personal bans. It's about a public ban list for custom games.

"Joe is banned" isn't a viable reason. My ban's all list detailed info as do any host's worth a crap. "Joe was banned from GAME NAME for REASON (XvX (where X is the number of players on each team at the time)) at TIME IN GAME WHICH THEY LEFT on DATE AT WHICH BAN WAS ISSUED" That's how you ban someone, and I can do all of that with between 1-10 keystrokes. Hell zero if I wait till the game is over to take care of it. If you're throwing out bans that say "Joe is banned" you're lazy as hell. Banlist will fill in all the blanks for you once you set up a script just once, which is easy.

Now Rick might be saying "Joe is banned" because he wants me to kick Joe so he can get his friend in the game. There might be no ban at all, he's just trying to get me to make room, which is a bullshit move. Many hosts (myself included) won't make room for friends or allow people on the same IP (which banlist tells you) into the game. Whys that? Because when you and your friend play, if you ragequit your friend will leave too. Suddenly a 5v5 became a 3v5 for no reason. Also if you have a connection problem, again your friend is gone too. If you don't let them in than it's far less likely to be an issue. So trying to make room for your friend by making up a BS ban isn't happening on my watch.

Now maybe the ban is legit. I'd rather not find out so Joe and Rick are both gone. When you bring a BS ban like "Joe is banned" to the table i'm not going to take chances on either person. Go find another game you won't be playing mine. Now if Rick busts out a legitmate ban like the one I listed, yeah, I'll toss Joe out and keep rick. Is it fool proof? Nope no one ever said it was. But if you're seriously too lazy to spend a minute to make a script to take care of your bans (banlist comes with detailed instructions on how to do this) then you're too lazy to be playing in my game.

As far as the global banlist thing. This website is never going to go anywhere (sorry OP). But it's a website that people aren't going to trust at all. It's also a website............that doesn't fly. Banlist is a program that runs in the background and takes care of a plethora of hosting duties (auto refresh, /fromall tells you the country of origin of all players, /latall shows you the latency of all players, tells you when people are on the same network, automatically kicks people trying to DL the map from you, automatically kicks banned players, detects spoofed names, etc etc etc). As a host I'm going to run a program in the background rather than going "ok guys hold on!" and looking everyone in the game up on a website before I launch a game. It'll never fly, so keep your panties on.

May 13, 2009 5:44:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,

How is griefing that cause innocent players to land on the banlist not an argument against it?

How is an innocent player being griefed onto a banlist?

You mean if you threw me on that banlist for no reason at all? Well if its private I couldn't really care less. If its global you have a point. But, once again, NO ONE will use this website so you can stop freaking out about it.

You make it sound like banlist was created as some sort of world wide griefing tool. It wasn't. It was made so people like me, who host thousands of games can attempt to make it so people I don't want to see again and honestly hope DIAF never get back in. No one can grief with banlist on a global level. No one. On a personal level, yes, but again, who cares?

May 13, 2009 6:11:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wonder if im on the list.

HITLER'S LIST!

May 13, 2009 6:50:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ouch Dathurts: we aren't talking about personal banlists here. We are talking about the banlist mentioned in the original post. Shouldn't that be clear? Why did you throw in arguments about personal banlists in the first place?

The point stands, such a banlist is a bad idea because of griefing, depending on the threshold. If it's too low, a group of people can single out another individuum just for personal reasons or for generally being asses. If it's too high there is a possibility that no one will ever make it on to the ban list in the first place.

May 13, 2009 7:25:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Most of the people arguing for this say it worked in DOTA. From what I hear on the 'nice communities thread' the DOTA community are a bunch of talentless dolts; who have less social ability than a  dung beetle with chronic halitosis.  Maybe they need a ban list. Coming from the SOASE community, which as Frogboy noted is nice, this should be unneccesary. Before we decide we need a banlist can we have a go at being a nice community that doesnt need one plz. There is never a good reason to infringe on people's liberties i.e ban them if it can be at all avoided, especially with a system that however well intentioned, is open to abuse.

It's just far too early to start breaking bits of the community off, so plz don't.

May 13, 2009 7:36:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You do not make any sense.

* First you say that "Joe is banned" isn't a viable reason to kick somone.
* But then you say you are not going to take the chance and kick him.
* Then you talk about a "guy with the ban is being lazy" (what?) and kick that guy too, for whatever reason.
* Then you say it wouldn't make sense to take someones word when they present zero evidence.
* Yet you will kick the guy who was banned for *no evidence*

No exaggeration, this is a common situation 

Senseless to explain that this won't help anyone. It wont't solve anything...

May 13, 2009 8:05:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ilovedawkins,
Most of the people arguing for this say it worked in DOTA. From what I hear on the 'nice communities thread' the DOTA community are a bunch of talentless dolts; who have less social ability than a  dung beetle with chronic halitosis.  Maybe they need a ban list. Coming from the SOASE community, which as Frogboy noted is nice, this should be unneccesary. Before we decide we need a banlist can we have a go at being a nice community that doesnt need one plz. There is never a good reason to infringe on people's liberties i.e ban them if it can be at all avoided, especially with a system that however well intentioned, is open to abuse.

It's just far too early to start breaking bits of the community off, so plz don't.

Uhhh, sins A) doesnt have a community this large isn't a competitive team based game. Welcome to a new world. Dolts, that depends on who you ask, talentless, depends on the person. Some yeah, they suck, others you've never played someone at their skill level before.

Fact is this community is going to be the same as DotAs. It's not the sins community and stardock knows this. Once you make a game based on the genre DotA helped build you've opened a can of worms you can not hope to stop.

People can have all the liberties they want. They just don't get the liberty of playing a game I host if I don't want them there. You're playing on my time and I'm not too fond of people wasting it by being idiots, feeding, leaving, throwing racial slurs around, etc. Maybe you enjoy it but us sane people don't. There's a reason banlist exists and is used by 99% of hosts of DotA.

Quoting Spooky,
Ouch Dathurts: we aren't talking about personal banlists here. We are talking about the banlist mentioned in the original post. Shouldn't that be clear? Why did you throw in arguments about personal banlists in the first place?

The point stands, such a banlist is a bad idea because of griefing, depending on the threshold. If it's too low, a group of people can single out another individuum just for personal reasons or for generally being asses. If it's too high there is a possibility that no one will ever make it on to the ban list in the first place.

No one will make it onto this banlist because NO ONE WILL USE THAT WEBSITE. Again, no one will be searching through a damn website for people while people leave and join a game. It's just not going to happen. So go ahead and calm down. The website isn't going to stop anyone from playing the game.

May 13, 2009 8:33:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kstampy,
Are you fucking serious?

I share your opinion.

In all seriousness,  Ban lists are stupid. 

Grow up and stop acting like a Child, there will be noobs, and there will be assholes,

Better yourself by getting better at the game so they don't affect you.  And seriously, Im sick of all this banlist bullshit.

Stop bringing your DOTA Culture to this.  Idiot

May 13, 2009 8:59:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Say NO to banlists

May 13, 2009 8:59:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,
A central place for people to list people they've had a bad experience with, why, and for those accused to vindicate.
The site is pretty simple right now. I'll be adding more features this week. Feel free to suggest a new feature or change you'd like to see.
You can view bans without registering but in order to submit a ban you must register.
The url is : http://www.dgbanlist.com
Thanks!

It's ideas like this that convince me that we, as a species, are destined to repeat our mistakes again and again and again.

I've seen this idea is no less than 4 different games. Now, I would wager several of my internal organs that at least a third of the players on this board have, in one multiplayer game or another, experienced a game where a player or group of players has ruined the experience for everyone else involved. Having spent a unhealthly amount of time in multiplayer games myself, I've experienced more than my fair share. However, I either make a mental note to avoid them - if they were really that bad then I'll remember them, and I can't recall a single name off the top of my head as I type this - or I forget about it and move on. I don't code a Blacklist program to help me, and attempt to persuade others, to hold a digital grudge against them. I learnt to forgive and forget in the 1st grade.

Making a community based Blacklist is going to have direct rammifications on another person's game experience. If this concept was adopted by the entire community and became an essential program for all players, banning someone would essentially prevent them from playing their game that they've payed for - just like you did. I don't really trust people to throw that kind of power around that aren't accountable for it's use; Stardock's and Gas Powered Games' employees are accountable to us as a community and as such don't prevent their paying customers from accessing their games. What gives us, any of us, the right to make this kind of decision?

Besides all of that, we have to take into consideration the concept of abuse of this childish idea. If you want to see how a community Ban List is going to function in a game with this kind of audience, head over to the forum game Your Banned!. You'll begin to understand why this Blacklist is a bad idea.

Some people in this thread have stated that this is a good idea, however poorly implemented. I believe it's a terrible idea, and no self respecting gamer would adhere to a system where people with complete anonimity are able to attempt to prevent other gamers from playing their game. There will be an in-game ignore list once the connection issues are resolved, if this doesn't suffice I have only have one suggestion - stop by your local primary/elementary school and pay attention the 1st grade students. You might pickup on something you missed the first time around.

May 13, 2009 9:10:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry OP but i will never use your site.

It will accomplish absolutly nothing that will make this game in any way better for the community.

IF you have a problem with someone deal with it or contact Stardock/GPG

May 13, 2009 9:26:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People either don't understand how this works or are incredibly dense.

You have the right to play your game. No one is taking the game away from you. Playing online comes with accountability. Something that has been dwindling over the years. Way back some 11 years ago there was this game called EQ. Playing EQ took a LOT of time, more time than anyone should really devote to a game. But that amount of time spent meant that people werent twats. If you were the ENTIRE server would blacklist you and you'd never get a group again. YEARS of your life down the drain. It was fantastic because people weren't asshats because they knew they'd be flushing their time down the drain if they were.

Over time this all started to fade more and more. Being a complete tardcake started to become the norm. People would join games with the sole intention of ruining them because no one could stop it. More and more people decided to join in because if timmy wasn't going to get caught I wasn't either.

Someone decided to take that old fashioned sense of accountability and bring it back to the RTS genre. They made banlist. Now a host could keep track (without a messy stack of tree murdering paper on his desk) of all the douche nozzles that joined his game so he wouldn't have to deal with them. Hosts rejoiced, griefers cried, and people that seem to think this is a case for the ACLU cried foul.

Banlist, the program people have their panties in a bunch over is only a personal banlist for the average joe. The only way to bring a global ban on yourself is to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to do it. There is no magical feature where you can globally ban someone. In fact YOU WILL NEVER globally ban a single person with it, ever. You....will....never. It isn't some bullshit griefing tool, its a local personal banlist. If spooky is calling everyone a bunch of N-words do I really have to justify my never wanting to see him again? Fuck no. He's done.

A global ban with the banlist program only comes from TDA. Which is a private league you sign up for. The rules are here http://forums.dota-allstars.com/index.php?showtopic=276504   the application is here http://forums.dota-allstars.com/index.php?showtopic=277378. You know full well what you're getting into from the second you sign up for it. So you know full well you're going to get globally banned when you fuck up. It's like getting busted for roids in baseball. You went out of your way to do it knowing full well the consequences beforehand. No one made you do it, you signed a contract, you brought it upon yourself with no one to cry to.

Outside of violating TDA rules there is ZERO, nill, zip, 0 way to become globally banned. The people who can make the global bans are a select group of approved hosts who have to justify every single ban with a replay of the game. All bans may be appealed. NO person can be globally banned outside of a TDA game. So, where's the problem?

Once again, this website will go absolutely nowhere so there is zero need to talk about it like it's going to catch on like wildfire. It wont.

May 13, 2009 9:28:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Add yourself to the list, OP.

May 13, 2009 9:37:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I believe DG will have a system in place that sort of does this for us. The Karma system. Although it will take time to be implemented, it will probably be better than a banlist.

BTW-do not burn the OP for trying to IMPROVE the quality of players... although i do not agree with the banlist at this stage of the game--i do agree with the OP trying to IMPROVE the game.

May 13, 2009 9:53:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Rdubya,
I believe DG will have a system in place that sort of does this for us. The Karma system. Although it will take time to be implemented, it will probably be better than a banlist.

BTW-do not burn the OP for trying to IMPROVE the quality of players... although i do not agree with the banlist at this stage of the game--i do agree with the OP trying to IMPROVE the game.

Don't see the Karma thing ever happening. If it requires manpower to impliment then its not going to be too feasible. Plus a moderator can not be in all my games all the time which means the vast vast majority of offenders will not be caught. I havent heard anything about he Karma system since May 2nd. A week or so ago Frogboy in chat was talking about a personal ban system. Which would take less effort to put in and once done require zero people to moderate games.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000718   Page Render Time: