The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Monday update is up but…

By on May 11, 2009 10:47:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Against the team’s better judgment, we went ahead and put up the update tonight since I had said we would have an update today. It has the major improvements promised but there’s still some flakey custom lobby behavior that will need to be looked at (play skirmish and pantheon for best results).

We had the game staged and testing for a long while but we kept trying to reproduce a bug reported from the beta where ImpulsePlayer was being inserted into lobbies.  Anyway, the temp fix for that will result with some flakey custom game lobby behavior (skirmish and pantheon are fine).  So odds are, we’ll release a minor update tomorrow to tweak that.

The symptom, for those of you who run into it, is players called “test” as well as players not being removed from the connection list. 

More to come.

+912 Karma | 38 Replies
May 11, 2009 10:56:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doh! We just cant catch a break can we?

Hopefully everything will be set by Thursday!

May 11, 2009 11:00:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well...my .02 you should have held of on this patch..things are horrid atm, I have completly given up on custom, and crossing my fingers for pantheon but that looks just as bad..it feels like the connections are getting stuck in the waiting state...

May 11, 2009 11:05:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looking at the logs, it's working better for most people. But custom games are flakey for the reasons described.

Either way, it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

May 11, 2009 11:08:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

..sigh..the last 3 pantheons games I've tried to connect 2 players are still getting stuck in the 'waiting to connect'  ..one game made it to where everyone was connected...but it just sat there..until a new dialog popped.

'Matching making service has failed' or some such...

oh well off to make dinner, hopefully it will sorted out tomorrow.

May 11, 2009 11:09:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Looking at the logs, it's working better for most people. But custom games are flakey for the reasons described.

Either way, it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I hope tommorow they will have something to fix it ...

I used to have zero issues with demigod and now .. custom games? Lol to them ... Pantheon? ... Just trys to place me all day

May 11, 2009 11:09:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Having lots of trouble with custom games. Seems like it doesnt want to connect to more then 3 or 4 people at a time. Havent been able to get a single game going. Also, I had an 'ImpuslePlayer' run in during the beta patch and since the new patch it's been replaced with 'test2' or 'test21-29' depending on the number of players who are displayed like that.

May 11, 2009 11:28:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Take a breather. You've been working too hard on something that wasn't even your fault.

"I think I can I think I can I think I can"

May 11, 2009 11:28:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just tried to get a 4v4 custom game going with 4 friends. Over the course of half an hour, we had 2 people we don't know disappear with a timeout message, and 2 of our friends did the same with a crash-to-desktop unhandled exception. Even when we managed to get all 8 slots filled for a minute or two without problems, it never got everyone fully connected to eachother. Sadly we ended up giving up on playing tonight. In my opinion, the patch has rendered things unplayable. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

May 11, 2009 11:29:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What a surprise, the newest patch fails to deliver yet again...

May 11, 2009 11:34:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting BenderB,
What a surprise, the newest patch fails to deliver yet again...

You obviously fail to realize the shear hours and determination they put into this game to better it for players like, apparently, you.

May 11, 2009 11:45:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wtf--you sleep frogboy?

May 11, 2009 11:46:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im so sick of everyone whining about effort.  LEARN TO FOWARD PORTS ON YOUR ROUTER.   This is probably your biggest problem with connections.

May 11, 2009 11:49:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tsunamirain,

You obviously fail to realize the shear hours and determination they put into this game to better it for players like, apparently, you.

No, I do realise that there's a lot of hard work going on. Despite how my comment sounds, I'm not spiteful in any way. I'm simply sick of Frogboy saying one thing and delivering another.

It strikes me as very strange that many people like, apparently, you, still believe the promises made week after week despite the lack of fulfilment of said promises.

I would prefer that this company continue to work hard and create some software that makes the game into something that I believe it should have been from the beginning. I don't believe they need to rush out patch after patch just so they can show that they're working hard.

As Frogboy stated himself, this patch was released "against the team’s better judgment".

Instead of promising to do something that cannot be delivered, instead promise that they'll do their best to get a complete, working patch that they are comfortable releasing.

May 11, 2009 11:51:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jdub121686,
Im so sick of everyone whining about effort.  LEARN TO FOWARD PORTS ON YOUR ROUTER.   This is probably your biggest problem with connections.

My ports have been forwarded from day 1, and continue to be.

The custom game lobby system in this game is simply inadequate, and it has nothing to do with anyone having open or closed ports. This is especially true since Frogboy has repeatedly stated that the game is designed to be played WITHOUT people needing to configure their router.

May 11, 2009 11:53:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I have as many issues as you and others have with a game, I stop playing for a while and come back later to see if it's working fine.

Less frustration at least.

May 12, 2009 12:03:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Next time, release it when it's done. I'd rather have a delay than a disappointment. This is not bashing you, nor hate, it is frustrating, I'm sure the same is true for you. Please ignore the nagging people on the forums, just tell them it will be done when we finish and are sure we should release. I don't see a problem with giving people a ball park estimate of when it will be out. Or internal deadlines, but tripping over the deadline you announced looks bad...don't do that to yourself (or anyone else working on it) or the people who are here to play the game. Just get it done in the time it takes to do it well...keep us updated, but don't race and have the project not work out, I'd rather wait for a version that works, than have you race only to a disappointing outcome. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, THANK YOU.

May 12, 2009 12:09:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just did a game earlier where the guy in the connection info was named but in the lobby he was called Test 2... just a little info for you guys there.

May 12, 2009 12:10:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

plz disregard earlier post... im a tard. Thank you for reading

May 12, 2009 12:22:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting theubersmurf,
Next time, release it when it's done. I'd rather have a delay than a disappointment. This is not bashing you, nor hate, it is frustrating, I'm sure the same is true for you. Please ignore the nagging people on the forums, just tell them it will be done when we finish and are sure we should release. I don't see a problem with giving people a ball park estimate of when it will be out. Or internal deadlines, but tripping over the deadline you announced looks bad...don't do that to yourself (or anyone else working on it) or the people who are here to play the game. Just get it done in the time it takes to do it well...keep us updated, but don't race and have the project not work out, I'd rather wait for a version that works, than have you race only to a disappointing outcome. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, THANK YOU.

If you miss a deadline, people complain.  If you meet the deadline with a few problems, people complain.  In the end, no matter what happens, people complain!  Fun stuff /

to Frogboy for the hard work.

May 12, 2009 12:34:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting VarekRaith,

If you miss a deadline, people complain.  If you meet the deadline with a few problems, people complain.  In the end, no matter what happens, people complain!  Fun stuff /

Exactly. That's why the smart thing to do is to NOT provide patch deadlines to the public populace, and NOT define exactly what is meant to be fixed in each patch.

That way, people will learn to expect a patch when it's ready, and be thankful that it fixes the things that it does.

Instead, at the moment people are expecting a patch on a particular day that will fix particular things, giving people a rightful reason to complain.

May 12, 2009 12:43:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i like how he says pantheon is fine..when in chat everyone says its down

and custom games are down to

the only consistency here is broken promises

before todays update..the game worked..now..it doesnt

will i get my money back if the game continues its disfunctional direction

May 12, 2009 12:49:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The question I have is, if this version is so fundamentally broken, why not just release what was the beta patch as the release version?  At least that version didn't have the crashing issue in custom games.  Custom games are by far the most popular game type.

May 12, 2009 12:53:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting VarekRaith,

I wouldn't be so quick to draw comparisons by essentially saying "oh it'll all be the same either way." Especially when the decision to release the game has tampered with the structure and integrity of the whole system and there now appears to be more problems than before.

May 12, 2009 12:58:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Patch impressions.   It's better but still buggy.  All last week I would give multiplayer connection a 5/10.

Today I'll give it a 7/10

Make sure you forward your ports for direct connection.  Sometimes I can get a game going in a minute.  Sometimes it can still take forever. 

Pantheon/skirmish is still set to 4 player max so it's boring so I sticked to custom games.

May 12, 2009 1:09:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I recently had a match in skirmish where everyone but me suddenly got disconnected and replaced with AI. The AI seemed even stupider than normal for some reason. The match was far too easy, but it was kinda fun to get ashkandor and mageslayer( not to mention 2 of the strongest gloves and the strongest boots).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001204   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.