The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Clan Wars concepts

By on May 11, 2009 3:56:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

In late Summer, we plan to release Demigod: Clan Wars. 

So how will it work?

Besides the obvious – creating and joining of clans, the practical meat of Clan Wars is ability to schedule matches.  Right now, everything is in real-time. The functionality that Clan Wars will bring in is the ability to schedule matches at specific times and then join in with your friends into that battle at that time.

As it starts to come together, we’ll start to put up screenshots.  This will be a free download via Impulse for all registered players.

+912 Karma | 49 Replies
May 11, 2009 4:02:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great, Can't wait

One question: Can the scheduled matches be implemented outside clans? Like choosing people from your friends list and send invitations?

May 11, 2009 4:02:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love it when they add extra content for free

May 11, 2009 4:03:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will we see additional demigods/maps etc before this expansion? Sounds neat.

May 11, 2009 4:09:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cutfang,
I love it when they add extra content for free

It wont just be content but features to boot!

May 11, 2009 4:14:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What about group automatches though?

May 11, 2009 4:16:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Archon Saar,

One question: Can the scheduled matches be implemented outside clans? Like choosing people from your friends list and send invitations?

Would like to see this.

May 11, 2009 4:20:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
What about group automatches though?

would like to second this. i think group pantheon matches would be awesome

May 11, 2009 4:22:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hum...

Less interested in this...

Would rather see being able to form a team up and then play with said team Vs random opponents (preferably other teams that have formed up).

The difference?  Less work and really it's the baby step that should be taken before any Clan features.

Clans are nice and all, but really the lack of being able to form a premade team should come first.

I'm less interested in joining a guild/clan soical group. 

I have my brothers and friends who have the game and I want to be able to group up with them and bash some heads.  I have no need or real want to join with other groups.  Sure with the clan support my friends and brothers could form a clan/guild but that's not necessary to actually be able to play.

-Jara

PS: Play Dawn of War 2.   Note how you can:

• Group up with others to form a team.
  • That team can then go and play against random people.
  • After a match you have a chance to talk shit to the other team and look at scores.
  • You can add anyone who you've played with/against to your friends list.
  • After the game is done, you come back to your team lobby (so you're all set to start playing again).
  • In your team lobby, you can invite people from your friends list and if they accept they'll automaticly be pulled into the lobby
  • Gfwl also keeps a list of everyone you've played with/agaist recently and you can use that list to either invite them to your team lobby or add them to your friends list.

THESE are the features that should come BEFORE CLAN features.

PPS: While I point out Dawn of War 2 as it has the correct functionality, it's UI is horrid in part due to the Windows for Live interfact being mostly crap and being forced to bounce between Windows Live & the DoW2 UI.  So don't look at it as a perfect example, it just has the basic functionality that Demigod SHOULD have.

May 11, 2009 4:25:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

needs to be an automatch up option too!

May 11, 2009 4:34:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This all sounds great. 

One question:

Will there be a stop gap for arranged teams between now and the Clan Wars update?  Or will I need to use custom games to play with friends until late summer?

(sorry, missed a couple previous posts, it appears i'm not alone in this concern)

May 11, 2009 4:41:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jaradakar,
Clans are nice and all, but really the lack of being able to form a premade team should come first.

They're coming at the same time. The clan framework contains the functionality for arranged teams. Frogboy has already stated this.

May 11, 2009 4:47:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AngryZealot,

Quoting Jaradakar, reply 8Clans are nice and all, but really the lack of being able to form a premade team should come first.
They're coming at the same time. The clan framework contains the functionality for arranged teams. Frogboy has already stated this.

But doing so I suspect will make it take longer and that is my point.  If separated, I suspect we could get team lobbies sooner.

Which, imo is more important.

May 11, 2009 4:48:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i don't care about clans, at all.  people form clans out of game in many games.  i'd just like to be able to do premade team vs. premade team.

May 11, 2009 4:52:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really cannot stress enough the importance of group automatches for the competitive scene considering this is a team game.

Also, if you're taking it the next step forward with clan wars to buffer the competition, we also need a replay system.

May 11, 2009 5:05:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Isn't custom game premade team vs premade team?

May 11, 2009 5:10:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ubershade:  Exccellent point.  It could be, but not necessarily.  And it certainly isn't right now.

I suppose it will be a more reliable way to get a good team game once the skirmish and pantheon automatch start working...

but still: Replays!

May 11, 2009 5:12:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jaradakar,

I'm less interested in joining a guild/clan soical group. 

The two aren't necessarily exclusive, just so you know.  There's been talk about making premade teams, and being able to bring them into battle.  Just because they might end up being called "clans," doesn't mean it's not what you're looking for.  It could be what you're looking for, plus some other social stuff.  But I agree, the ability to form groups to bring into battle should be included as part of this framework.

May 11, 2009 5:14:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I aagree with the earlier posts. Clan support is nice but the majority of players are not in a clan and might not be interested in joining one. IMO team support and, as Polynomial suggested, a working replay system would be more attractive to most players.

I'm glad to see you are already thinking about expanding the game Frogboy!

PS: Is it possible to add official team support to Pantheon and maybe skirmish? That would be awesome!

May 11, 2009 5:16:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jaradakar,

I have my brothers and friends who have the game and I want to be able to group up with them and bash some heads.  I have no need or real want to join with other groups.  Sure with the clan support my friends and brothers could form a clan/guild but that's not necessary to actually be able to play.

well its not clear if this clan wars delay or is competitive with team support

if so i agree with you, teaming and joining pantheon (or an alternative situation if they want to leave pantheon as it is) is surely the priority, but i think that clan wars and teams are just different things developed on their own

May 11, 2009 5:23:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Group up with others to form a team.

That team can then go and play against random people.

After a match you have a chance to talk shit to the other team and look at scores.

You can add anyone who you've played with/against to your friends list.

After the game is done, you come back to your team lobby (so you're all set to start playing again).

In your team lobby, you can invite people from your friends list and if they accept they'll automaticly be pulled into the lobby

Gfwl also keeps a list of everyone you've played with/agaist recently and you can use that list to either invite them to your team lobby or add them to your friends list.

yes completely agree.!!!

other things can be done for competitive play until clan wars, but not being able to play vs random as a team sucks.

May 11, 2009 5:29:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

premades vs premades  or random match vs random matchup = higher avg skill level = more competitive fun

May 11, 2009 5:37:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"Clan" should be stretchable to include any premade team. I think that the NR 1 focus of Demigod: Clan Wars is competition, competition, competition. Stats of every type, reliably, premade teams only. Fix the damn matchmaking in the Pantheon, I got stuck against a guy who hadn't played any games today.

May 11, 2009 6:13:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Clan support is nice and all, but if i were you, i'll let it for next year and focus on other things right now, like Jaradakar said very well in post #8. Also, i suspect that only Stardock works on this, right? Because otherwise GPG has better things to do . Like new demigods, new maps, items, balance stuff, etc...

I'm not planning to join any clan in the near future and imo, these things are not needed right now, but after some year or two, when the game would be more popular (i hope). Right now is like trying to make a F1 race circuit for my Toyota. Not there yet, imo...

May 11, 2009 6:52:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'd say that an important feature for clan wars would also be the ability to rejoin a match if you drop.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.