The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What Demigod needs to live forever.

By on May 6, 2009 8:26:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not in along time have i played a game which i feel have so much potential as Demigod does.. It kinda feels blizzard-quality over some parts (like the models in the character selection screen, thats some great eyecandy right there) and the gameplay is truly GREAT... when it works. And i must admit today i have had many successful games in skirmish, and they started up faster than usual, so i can definitely see some progress here.

However, in its current iteration, i fear this game is abit too shallow and meager on content right now. There are numerous areas which needs to be improved, beside the multiplayer issues and the much-needed bugfixes, if this game is gonna have any lasting appeal after a few months. I will here list the areas i think are the most critical.

1. Multiplayer lobby improvement (UI). Gives currently too little info, like you cannot see what chars ppl have chosen before the game starts(skirmish and pantheon games), their ping, ranking/exp/win streak etc without alt-tabbing and looking them up on the website. This should all be visible at the start of the game, during the map-loading phase at the very least, so that we can get a general idea of what we are up against.

2. Improved Pantheon. Currently you cannot even see how much you have contributed to the ongoing pantheons, in the future you need to get a report after everygame and a stats button where you can at anytime, from the lobby, check your contribution and the last 20 played games with results etc. Also there need to be an "ongoing" tournament beside the pantheon, as pantheion are down several days at a time after each win with the current design. 

3. New demigods. Of course this would be nice, with 2 more, however right now i think this have lower priority than the points above for the lasting appeal.

4. New Maps. The current maps are very good i must say, every single one, but since they are so few in number it gets very repetitive fast... 2-4 more are needed and soon.... 12 maps to choose from would be great, and last alot longer than 8 i think.

5. Item combinations/upgrades. This would cause more options how to configure your demigod and give more unique playstyles possible, rather than like now, where everyone is striving for the same items and will eventually get cookie-cutter builds up. 

6. More incentive to stay in the game after first death. I see alot of people right now just quit if they get killed in the initial rush or some people leave after 2-3 deaths being replaced by ai. If you can find no way to give more incentive to stay (and please dont consider favor points, as everyone will eventually have all favor items anyway), just offer the "victory" popup window as soon as there are only ai:s left on one side. This way we dont have to stay 20 mins extra to bash the AI citadel all the time... this gets old fast.

7.In game channels, chat channels, where you can have clan rooms, get allies etc. and 2v2 arranged teams, 3v3 arrnaged teams going etc.

+4 Karma | 22 Replies
May 6, 2009 8:34:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i agree and the new demigod part i can wait like you said the other points are just more important

May 6, 2009 8:51:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/signed.  Great job putting things in perspective.

May 6, 2009 9:23:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In a game like demigod having a bot replace a player is worse than simply having that character vanish from the game.  Bots feed like nuts.

May 6, 2009 9:24:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can see what demi's people have chosen, its the same place as where you choose your on their line.  Unless your talking schemish in which case you never enter the lobby so that point is non existant.  Otherwise I agree.

May 6, 2009 10:23:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"just offer the 'victory' popup window as soon as there are only ai:s left on one side. This way we dont have to stay 20 mins extra to bash the AI citadel all the time... this gets old fast."

I LOVE this idea.  Brilliant.  It's so simple, yet it would be just the right solution I think.  You get the humans to quit and bail, so you win.  Simple as that.

May 6, 2009 11:10:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think when we see more 5v5 games, people will tend to stay more.  right now, with just 2v2, there's very little incentive to stay.

May 7, 2009 1:01:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The multiplayer UI is in definite need of improvements.

We need a Friends list, an inviting function and more info, as stated above.

Even the horribly supported Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-earth II had all that.

So I hope we'll see improvements soon.

May 7, 2009 9:26:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can see what demi's people have chosen, its the same place as where you choose your on their line. Unless your talking schemish in which case you never enter the lobby so that point is non existant. Otherwise I agree.

I was of course referring to Skirmish and pantheon games, as i find these the most meningful to play.

May 7, 2009 9:41:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I thought this thread was going to be another rant about DG and why they should do things YOUR way. Funnily enough I agreed with every point except 5, as I think items need balancing first before adding more.

May 7, 2009 9:53:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

About the leavers, I would go further. It think it would be a strong, but useful punishment if the leaver lost his currently equipped favor item (it is really annoying if an enemy leaves, and more annoying if your teammate left you in trouble). If he DC then nothing, or maybe -5%  or -10% favorpoints.

Or maybe a vote about punishment. The players who left in decide.

Also the leaver's DG should not be controlled by AI, just stand still or even removed from the game, may left behind their items.

May 7, 2009 10:10:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can see much of this happening if the game can get over its multiplayer problems and retain its playerbase.

Stardock have a pretty good record for patching games.

May 7, 2009 11:26:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with most of your points.  However, there are two I do not.

First, I don't feel that Demigod needs more characters.  Although that 8 is a very small number for this type of game in comparison to others (some dota clones boast some 20 odd unbalanced characters), I feel that adding four demigods would simply cause there to be four demigods that never get played.  Honestly there is a demigod for every major playing style already.  If four more came out, they would either replace others in their own niches, or would try to be combinations of other characters.  Inevitably, people would initially whine about how the new characters are either over- or under-powered, and patches would either nerf or overbuff them.  If the new characters were combinations of the others, it would lead to games where everyone plays them, or they get owned by the characters that focus on specific areas.  Then you would have rooms that ban new or old characters... yeah.  Eventually you'd probably get Might and Magic Syndrome (having too many playable races/characters/units that are repetitive and unused), and people will start posting unofficial pre-patch servers that all the really good players spend their time on.  Then you'd end up with official servers being full of noobs and whiners that don't know how to get to the unofficial servers.  I'll leave this point with two more words.  Planetside Aftershock.

Second, I'm not sure I'm clear on your Item Combinations/Upgrades.  Do you mean being able to fuse two items into a single slot, or adding a gem or something to add another stat on your item?  I think you'd simply end up with the same cookiecutter characters, but they'd take longer to get in game because of the sheer amount of gold involved in getting the best weapons and equipping them with the best upgrades.  However, I think some new items might be cool.  I find that some items aren't specific enough.  For example, an item that gives good hero stats and oh by the way bonuses to your units is a waist of money or item stats for an assassin.  Perhaps having seperate assassin/general shops would be interesting.  Also, trees if items with similar abilities instead of the more general item trees that currently exist might be helpful.  For example, maybe you've got a character that really needs mana regen because you've only got 10, but you've got only one item slot.  You don't get a high end item, because most of those give % bonuses, you have to get a lower end item.  Sad day.  It's like wanting to buy a lowrider, but having to get something with like four to six inches clearance and rock hard suspension because of the new monsterious speedbump they just put into your neighborhood (true story).

Also, on that note, I agree with angryandroid.  They should get balanced before adding more.  Some items are totally useless at their cost, which is sad.

What do you think?

May 7, 2009 11:37:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hear that if you reveal the secret goat path around the mountain you will live forever.  Your ideas sound good too though.

May 7, 2009 11:53:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting taboria,
About the leavers, I would go further. It think it would be a strong, but useful punishment if the leaver lost his currently equipped favor item (it is really annoying if an enemy leaves, and more annoying if your teammate left you in trouble). If he DC then nothing, or maybe -5%  or -10% favorpoints.

Also the leaver's DG should not be controlled by AI, just stand still or even removed from the game, may left behind their items.

I strongly disagree with this. That would be too harsh of a punishment when some people may leave for legitimate reasons: Family emergency, wife aggro, house on fire, ISP goes down, and so on.

I like the OP's suggestion on this where there is incentive to stay but not punishment when you leave.

May 7, 2009 12:38:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Charvel1,

I strongly disagree with this. That would be too harsh of a punishment when some people may leave for legitimate reasons: Family emergency, wife aggro, house on fire, ISP goes down, and so on.

I like the OP's suggestion on this where there is incentive to stay but not punishment when you leave.

I concur.

May 7, 2009 12:52:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What Demigod needs to live forever.

This

May 7, 2009 3:57:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brazzeh, come on; you should study your Indiana Jones.  That chalice would just vaporize you. 

May 7, 2009 4:33:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Charvel1,

Quoting taboria, reply 10About the leavers, I would go further. It think it would be a strong, but useful punishment if the leaver lost his currently equipped favor item (it is really annoying if an enemy leaves, and more annoying if your teammate left you in trouble). If he DC then nothing, or maybe -5%  or -10% favorpoints.

ROFL !! Wife aggro!! That made my day

May 7, 2009 7:45:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i agree with most off them except the items  there is plenty off items and many dif combinations   but it would be better to have more in the future i would say 

this is less of a priority around this time till arround july-august then  having more would be needed

May 7, 2009 8:48:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe it is too strong to punish like that, i feel that. That is why i wrote, there could be a vote. And you can tell the reason before quit. Today i had a game when in the start 2 of my teamates left, I had to face against 3 player,  i knew i will lost the game, but didnt quited.
Also am I the onlyone when i start play i make sure nothing will interrupt? Or if it is really important i dont care my favor item, it is just a game, and i can get it back in a short time.

( I dont like leavers, sorry  )

And yeah, I love the idea of Winning if no Player left in the enemy team.

May 7, 2009 9:03:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

#8 Custom mods

I think this is more important than 1-7.  With custom mods, people can create their own demigods, maps, and game type (Tower Defense, more dota clones, etc)

May 7, 2009 10:04:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

5. Item combinations/upgrades. This would cause more options how to configure your demigod and give more unique playstyles possible, rather than like now, where everyone is striving for the same items and will eventually get cookie-cutter builds up.

I have little intention of picking apart every point you made because most of them are very reasonable, but this one sparked my interest.

Yes, it is a great idea to have the ability to combine items, it would have improved the gameplay greatly as the items are the basis for scaling during the progression of the game and having such options will expand on the gameplay during the longer matches. Although, I would guess that this exact suggestion would have been mentioned 7,000 times during all phases of the beta testing and ignored every time. From the general feeling myself and other testers got is that this idea will make the game feel like it's trying to copy DotA too much, and the developers do not want to copy DotA. So unfortunately, there is a high chance that this will not be implemented as the developers were aware of this from the beginning of the game's development and throughout 6+ months of beta tester's suggestions and feedback.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.