The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

My only complaint about DG...

By on May 5, 2009 8:19:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

...is that there is no multiple accounts for the game.

I have this problem right now where my bf and I have two computers, but only one is good enough to run DG well.. the 2nd comp is a cheap basic comp just to use the internet and microsoft word on..

So. We can't both play MP online becuz it would mess up our stats. Since my bf went ahead and used MP.. I can't. Even though I paid for DG, I can't play online. I would have to buy a 2nd copy to play online. So in essence, I'd be paying twice just so I can play the same game.. which.. is ouch on my pocket.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that Stardock has to protect itself in what ways it can against piracy and I can see the potential drawbacks of allowing multiple accounts on one game and such.. but still...

Sucks for me.

Edit: and yeah.. it goes for a lot of PC games.. like L4D.. we'd have to buy a 2nd copy to play together.

+24 Karma | 33 Replies
May 5, 2009 8:28:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't really understand your complaint. You want to play the game online. Your boyfriends wants to play the game online. You are in fact two seperate persons who want to play the game seperately. Why would you assume, that you do not have to buy the game twice?

May 5, 2009 8:33:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Becus we are two people sharing one computer and one pocket. I didn't say anything bout not having to buy the game twice. I said it sucks on my pockets to pay for it twice.

May 5, 2009 8:36:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no Spooky, that would only be true if you want to play simultaneously. Would you and your fiancée buy the same book twice just to be able to read it one after another? I had the same problem with supreme commander, before we (my bro and me) bought a 2nd computer which could run it - we just shared the account though as we didn't care about stats. As much as I like that smurfing is impossible with the 1 account per key system I hate this backdraw. The Perfect Solution in my opinion would be to have a master account where you can create a limited amount of profiles and everyone can look up what the master account of each profile is.

You should tell your fiancé that custom games aren't ranked anymore though -  they show up as loss/win still but doesn't affect experience and seriously the stats are so messed up that they shouldn't matter to him anyways

May 5, 2009 8:38:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,
I don't really understand your complaint. You want to play the game online. Your boyfriends wants to play the game online. You are in fact two seperate persons who want to play the game seperately. Why would you assume, that you do not have to buy the game twice?

She is talking about how... in most games (non-steam and impulse games), that you simply just create a seperate account to play online from within the game itself... rather than having the Multiplayer tied to one account and one account only (steam and impulse) and having to pay for another multiplayer account. The complaint wasn't really toward Demigod, it's more toward impulse and Steam... she also admitted she understands why they do it, just wishes she could play online, since her boyfriend (me lol), have the account, stats, multiplayer name tied to me.

May 5, 2009 8:39:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Protocept00,

She is talking about how... in most games (non-steam and impulse games), that you simply just create a seperate account to play online from within the game itself... rather than having the Multiplayer tied to one account and one account only (steam and impulse) and having to pay for another multiplayer account. The complaint wasn't really toward Demigod, it's more toward impulse and Steam... she also admitted she understands why they do it, just wishes she could play online, since her boyfriend (me lol), have the account, stats, multiplayer name tied to me.

thank you love. lol

Quoting TheBigOne,
no Spooky, that would only be true if you want to play simultaneously. Would you and your fiancée buy the same book twice just to be able to read it one after another? I had the same problem with supreme commander, before we (my bro and me) bought a 2nd computer which could run it - we just shared the account though as we didn't care about stats. As much as I like that smurfing is impossible with the 1 account per key system I hate this backdraw. The Perfect Solution in my opinion would be to have a master account where you can create a limited amount of profiles and everyone can look up what the master account of each profile is.

You should tell your fiancé that custom games aren't ranked anymore though -  they show up as loss/win still but doesn't affect experience and seriously the stats are so messed up that they shouldn't matter to him anyways

That is actually a very good idea..

May 5, 2009 8:40:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,

I agree with this, but unfortunately, it could be easily exploited for nefarious purposes. Maybe if the secondary profiles were tied to a specific computer and only that computer rather than to just the master account, it might work.

May 5, 2009 8:43:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

don't think it really could be abused - only one of those accounts would be allowed online at the same time and when you share the account with guys from all over the world they notice that anyways, be that your impulse account or the proposed profile tied to a master account.

May 5, 2009 9:09:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,
don't think it really could be abused - only one of those accounts would be allowed online at the same time and when you share the account with guys from all over the world they notice that anyways, be that your impulse account or the proposed profile tied to a master account.

Yeah I suppose that's true. Makes sense. I wonder if Stardock could implement this feature into impulse? It would really give it a leg up on Steam. It would benefit a lot of people I'm sure, definitely a feature that would be greatly appreciated.

May 5, 2009 9:18:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,
Well my point is, that she wanted seperate stats and those stats are another service that Stardock and GPG are providing.

May 5, 2009 9:22:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. On principle, I can agree that for couples or people in the same household it'd be nice. But we all know it's never going to work that way. If people can create profiles to allow others to log in under a master account, how would it be limited to people in the same household only? It would open up a secondary market where people would sell these secondary profiles to random people, with Stardock/GPG not seeing a penny for it, but having to support those people.

This would be a good idea in an ideal world, but it's just not practical.

May 5, 2009 9:32:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. On principle, I can agree that for couples or people in the same household it'd be nice. But we all know it's never going to work that way. If people can create profiles to allow others to log in under a master account, how would it be limited to people in the same household only? It would open up a secondary market where people would sell these secondary profiles to random people, with Stardock/GPG not seeing a penny for it, but having to support those people.

This would be a good idea in an ideal world, but it's just not practical.

That is what we were discussing Annatar, were ways in which we could eliminate that potential problem. One of the posters mentioned a fairly good way of pulling it off... and if I understand right, you could simply just have a limited number of secondary accounts on a master account with limited features... the catch being that only one account within that master account (including the master account itself) can be online at any one time. That would solve that problem. You could not sell that account, as it is tied to the master account... and since you can only have account online at any one time, you'd have to sell ALL the accounts at once (including the master account), making it pointless, thus solving the problem.

May 5, 2009 9:38:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the catch being that only one account within that master account (including the master account itself) can be online at any one time. That would solve that problem.

How would that solve the problem?

"Hey, I got Demigod, it's an awesome game!"

"Doesn't it have that thing where more than one person can play with one copy?"

"Yep"

"I'll give you 20 bucks if you make me a secondary account to use"

"Ooh, deal!"

At most it would cut down on the scale of the secondary account market, but hey if 50,000 people decide to do this once then SD has to support 50,000 more people with patches, access to support, etc, without seeing a penny.

May 5, 2009 9:50:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well they are saying that you would only be able to have one person online per that game at a time.  The only problem I see would be if people sold it to others who play off hours - people who play in another country.  The problem is that, if you wanted to play at 5am some day, you might be SoL.  It wouldn't be a comfortable arrangement to sell partial rights to your game... at least, not worth 20 bucks, or whatever you could get for it, if you ask me.

As for the OP, I don't completely understand the frustration.  If YOU bought the copy, YOU should be playing with YOUR stats.  Tell your boyfriend that he should buy his own copy, or pay you for the one he took.  It's entirely unfair that he would disable you from playing multiplayer when you bought the game.  Beyond that, I don't see how stats really matter that much, and think you should just play on the same account and not particularly care.  It basically comes down to this - are stats worth $40 to you?

I take that back, it comes down to this - are stats really worth $40 to your boyfriend?  If so, he should get his own account, because, currently, he doesn't have one, he just uses yours.

edit: That was probably a little bit harsh, but the thing is, this is essentially a multiplayer game.  The single player stuff is pretty worthless, to most people who've bought it.  By saying you don't want to play multiplayer because of this, you are basically saying your boyfriend took the whole game.

May 5, 2009 10:27:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Annatar, why isn't what you describe happening with starcraft/warcraft III on a large scale then? maybe because you don't just give your password to random strangers? Maybe because it can be tracked that the profiles are used from different IPs / ISPs / geographic locations. Maybe because most people don't want to only be able to play when their friend is not playing...

Seriously having different accounts for 1 Cd-key with the restriction to be only online with 1 at the same time is not some obscure dream, but is more or less what you can do in 80% of RTS games, so don't come up with silly reasons why it wouldn't work.

May 5, 2009 10:36:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We are planning to allow for different aliases under one account, but right now the network stuff is the top priority.

May 5, 2009 10:41:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

but is more or less what you can do in 80% of RTS games

I wasn't aware Starcraft and Warcraft III constituted 80% of RTS games. Not like it has to be random either. Even that friend you'd trust with an account password still shouldn't get a free ride on a game. We'll get the 50% off coupons. Use that to buy your friend/brother/sister/significant other a second copy.

May 5, 2009 10:42:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kryo,
We are planning to allow for different aliases under one account, but right now the network stuff is the top priority.

They aren't talking about aliases, though, they're talking about multiple logins on the same account so people can play online at the same time with only 1 copy.

May 5, 2009 11:44:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
They aren't talking about aliases, though, they're talking about multiple logins on the same account so people can play online at the same time with only 1 copy.
Actually no, that's exactly not what they are talking about.

May 5, 2009 11:44:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What is being described is a CD-Key tied to an ACCOUNT. Then inside that account, are created Aliases/Profiles.

Relic is doing it, they allow 5 Profiles, and it works great. I can even destroy my Main ACCOUNT if I wish, but only 3 times, before I have to go see the "MAN" to explain myself.

That way, if I wish, I can sell the game back to the store and they can re-sell and the new player can re-create the Master ACCOUNT with said cd-key.

Given that scenario, the OP could play when she wishes on her own Alias Profile and not affect the others. No simultaneous Online play on the same account allowed.

Works great....

May 5, 2009 2:42:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky,
Actually no, that's exactly not what they are talking about.

Thank you.

Quoting Annatar11,

No, that's not what we're talking about.

Quoting John Hughes,
What is being described is a CD-Key tied to an ACCOUNT. Then inside that account, are created Aliases/Profiles.

Relic is doing it, they allow 5 Profiles, and it works great. I can even destroy my Main ACCOUNT if I wish, but only 3 times, before I have to go see the "MAN" to explain myself.

That way, if I wish, I can sell the game back to the store and they can re-sell and the new player can re-create the Master ACCOUNT with said cd-key.

Given that scenario, the OP could play when she wishes on her own Alias Profile and not affect the others. No simultaneous Online play on the same account allowed.

Works great....

^^ that's what we're trying to say. Thank you everyone who gets it.

May 5, 2009 3:07:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sangren,
Well they are saying that you would only be able to have one person online per that game at a time.  The only problem I see would be if people sold it to others who play off hours - people who play in another country.  The problem is that, if you wanted to play at 5am some day, you might be SoL.  It wouldn't be a comfortable arrangement to sell partial rights to your game... at least, not worth 20 bucks, or whatever you could get for it, if you ask me.

As for the OP, I don't completely understand the frustration.  If YOU bought the copy, YOU should be playing with YOUR stats.  Tell your boyfriend that he should buy his own copy, or pay you for the one he took.  It's entirely unfair that he would disable you from playing multiplayer when you bought the game.  Beyond that, I don't see how stats really matter that much, and think you should just play on the same account and not particularly care.  It basically comes down to this - are stats worth $40 to you?

I take that back, it comes down to this - are stats really worth $40 to your boyfriend?  If so, he should get his own account, because, currently, he doesn't have one, he just uses yours.

edit: That was probably a little bit harsh, but the thing is, this is essentially a multiplayer game.  The single player stuff is pretty worthless, to most people who've bought it.  By saying you don't want to play multiplayer because of this, you are basically saying your boyfriend took the whole game.

No, it's not like that. WE share finances and a computer, even though, this is actually his computer because he bought it before we were together. Plus, it wasn't planned that I was gonna get into the game. I just happened to try it one day and thought, "hey, this rocks", but that was after he had already created his online profile.

The frustration was that I can't play online as well. I don't mean for the both of us to play at the same time, I meant, he can have his character and his stats for when he gets online and play vs people and that I can have my own character and my own stats when I get on before or after him. I think with DG we can play LAN games simulteneously.. but since our other comp is too basic, it wouldn't run very well.. so blah.

So, if we can have a way to have a different alias under one master account, then that would be great. But we are planning to buy a second copy at that 50% discount Frogboy was talking about when we get another gaming computer so we can vs each other. That would be SWEEETTT. lol

May 6, 2009 6:52:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Proto, IMHO you should really let your GF use your account to play online. Sharing and having fun together are infinitely more important than alias stats.

May 6, 2009 6:54:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZebraFox,
Proto, IMHO you should really let your GF use your account to play. Sharing and having fun together are infinitely more important than alias stats.

lol it's not that he doesn't LET me play, but eh.. he just wants his own stats and see how he ranks. Besides, it'd prolly annoy me too if someone else affected my stats and how I look in the overall ranks of things.

May 6, 2009 11:43:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kryo,

That's really good to hear, as it makes sense to be able to let someone try it out on your box (little brother, friend visiting, etc) and get them hooked without them messing up any stats/rankings you might have (I'm guessing that applies, just bought, haven't played yet).

May 6, 2009 12:01:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZebraFox,
Proto, IMHO you should really let your GF use your account to play online. Sharing and having fun together are infinitely more important than alias stats.

lol I do, sheesh. We didn't know that she was gonna end up liking the game until a about 1-2 weeks after I already made the account. I wasn't aware that you could not have multiple Alias under one account until the day she wanted to check out online. Now that I know she likes the game and realize that the multiplayer doesn't have alias, I understand.

We both assumed that the "profile" was an alias for both single player and multiplayer. So thats why neither one of us didn't think much of it when I first made the account. I had no idea she would even end up liking this game or getting into the forums for that matter.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.