The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Games are over too early

By on April 27, 2009 2:47:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There's no momentum changers, no "turning the tide".  If you say have a guy giveup 3 kills in the first 4-5 minutes, the game is effectively over. It's best just to say GG and find a competetive game.

+1 Karma | 27 Replies
April 27, 2009 2:57:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree.  I think they need to rework how gold for kills is given out so that people have more of a chance to come back.

April 27, 2009 3:00:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've had quite a few momentum changes.  Yeah, that one guy whoring kills and artifcats?  He can't be everywhere at once, which is what he'll need to be when you upgrade your citadel with catapaults and giants.

April 27, 2009 3:06:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Artifacts? How many games actually get to the artifact point? Not very many. Only the bigger maps.  I've only had 1 game today where someone reached level 20 and it was because like i said some noob was 0-6.

April 27, 2009 3:08:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As I understand it, that's by design - the intention being that mis-matched games are over quickly so that better players aren't stuck slogging through a game just for the sake of length and new/poor players aren't stuck in a game for a long time getting hammered.

I'm not saying that there aren't tweaks that could be beneficial, but I think the overall intention for quick games is likely to stay.

April 27, 2009 3:10:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They could cut the gold award for demigod kills in half. It's already a big penalty to lose 30 seconds of XP, gold, and flag control when your demigod is recovering.

April 27, 2009 3:11:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've seen lots of momentum changes.  A DG suddenly buys a bunch of expensive equipment/artifacts that he has been saving up on.  A team suddenly buying a ton of creep upgrades at once(they are usually bunched together now to avoid priest farming - so you see people go priests/angels/catapults at the same time which is a big effect).  Heck, even builds coming into their own in the mid to late game (there are lots of DGs that famously start off slow but pick up).

If your team really is better, you can come back from a few early deaths.  Just yesterday I was playing like complete crap early on and took 2 bad deaths in the first 3 minutes with my teammate taking another in a 2v2 situation.  But we both buckled down and came back without too much of a problem.

Now having a guy who is just bad and is feeding the other team constantly is a problem and yes, you arent going to momentum change in that situation.  But thats an issue of what to do about bad players, not that momentum changes arent possible.  If you have a player like that, the other team really does deserve to win, so there shouldnt necessarily be a momentum change.

We do need a system to have good players playing good players and bad players playing bad players more often.  But thats going to take a bit as they still have some big problems to work out elsewhere.

April 27, 2009 3:17:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just because he/she was 0-6 does not make him/her a noob...anywho, there is plenty you can do to change momentum. Gank the big baddie, upgrade the cit hardcore, and what not. The game isn't over until those big letters say GAME OVER!

April 27, 2009 3:18:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you think you can't come back you are crazy here is one example

Less gold, Less Kills, Less Flags, Less Structures And with some luck won the game.

http://www.esl.eu/eu/demigod/2on2/opening_cup/mmp/show/13575087/36595334/

April 27, 2009 3:33:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

there's a difference between asking for leeway in getting destroyed and asking for the ability to shift momentum.  there are already ways to achieve the latter.

April 27, 2009 3:45:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sure 2v2 there will be some shifts because there's more variance. 3v3, 4v4, 5v5 is a pretty static game. The way levels scale if someone is 15 and everyone else is 13 its pretty much GG because they poorly implemented the dmg ratios of levels so that a level 15 does insane dmg to a level 13. It's very WoW like

April 27, 2009 3:54:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if you think the game is over after someone gets 3 kills in the first 5 mins, your either an idiot or your playing 1v1

April 27, 2009 4:03:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The games get much closer when the skill level is closer.  That will hopefully be sorted out using the Skirmish and Pantheon modes of play.  Supreme Commander worked well on match play and now it's a matter of scaling it up to handle 5v5.

April 27, 2009 4:03:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well, i will agree that leveling is, in some cases, too hard to catch up on for a team that is even slightly losing, but perhaps that's how it should be.  if a team let's itself fall back on levels, then they didn't manage that resource as well as the other team did

April 27, 2009 5:14:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

also off topic, just noticed rainfall2112 posting in this thread.  Left my game within 2 mins of starting cus he tried to push a tower by himself with 2 people and died then left the game.  Someone else in the same game mentioned he did the same thing in a previous game.  Had I known that in the lobby, I woulda kicked him, but just letting everyone else know, the guys a leaver and a moron, added to my banlist

April 27, 2009 5:20:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There's no momentum changers, no "turning the tide".  If you say have a guy giveup 3 kills in the first 4-5 minutes, the game is effectively over. It's best just to say GG and find a competetive game.

this is true but its not a problem of demigod

the problem is in ppl mind

this is a new game and as every new game most of players has no clue how to play well

till the skill gap is so huge there is no way of a good comeback just cause who get the advantage at start is so much more good of the other

whenn most ppl will l2p better and the advantages willl be smoother we will see games turning in direction

April 27, 2009 5:30:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the only issue is when you get a "weakest link" that keeps feeding.  A possible change to the gold bounty system would be to reduce the amount of bounty on a specific character after each death.  That bounty would build back up over time, but if they die repeatedly they won't be worth a lot.  This would mean if one player on the team is dying over and over again but the other players are doing just fine, it's not a big deal.

April 27, 2009 5:51:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

games are only over fast when im playing baddies

granted i have had few good matches...

April 27, 2009 6:08:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting tombonator1,
if you think the game is over after someone gets 3 kills in the first 5 mins, your either an idiot or your playing 1v1

For the most part 3 kills in the first few minutes ends the game. With two bad teams that's not the case but in high level plays it is very hard to climb back.

April 27, 2009 6:09:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Darvin3,
I think the only issue is when you get a "weakest link" that keeps feeding.  A possible change to the gold bounty system would be to reduce the amount of bounty on a specific character after each death.  That bounty would build back up over time, but if they die repeatedly they won't be worth a lot.  This would mean if one player on the team is dying over and over again but the other players are doing just fine, it's not a big deal.

thats a good idea

some bonus in gold gained if the char you kill has a good positive score and some malus if you kill someone with a bad score

the same could apply to the demigod lvl so if some char is more supportive and is a couple lvl behind he doesnt feed too  much

April 27, 2009 6:14:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Darvin3,

I like this idea

April 27, 2009 6:23:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i agree with sunwind  it is a good idea  i have foudn most games i play a dude drops out  or   one team gets stuck with a noob

which is annouying and tedious

April 27, 2009 6:49:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting si1foo,
i agree with sunwind  it is a good idea  i have foudn most games i play a dude drops out  or   one team gets stuck with a noob

Seriously, stop text messaging in your responses. Some poor english teacher is rolling in his grave.

April 27, 2009 6:58:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sunwind,

Quoting Darvin3, reply 16I think the only issue is when you get a "weakest link" that keeps feeding.  A possible change to the gold bounty system would be to reduce the amount of bounty on a specific character after each death.  That bounty would build back up over time, but if they die repeatedly they won't be worth a lot.  This would mean if one player on the team is dying over and over again but the other players are doing just fine, it's not a big deal.

I like this idea

Sounds like a good way for Oak to exploit last stand.

April 27, 2009 7:02:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sacrificial_Soul,

Quoting si1foo, reply 21i agree with sunwind  it is a good idea  i have foudn most games i play a dude drops out  or   one team gets stuck with a noob

Seriously, stop text messaging in your responses. Some poor english teacher is rolling in his grave.

dude i dont texted message  and actually i have mild dsylexia ignorant bastard

and i believe my old english teacher is dead actually  she had a heart attack

April 27, 2009 7:41:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To the people that say there is no "turning the tide" games, you are absolutely wrong.  You either honestly do not know how to play or have a bad teammate.

My friend and I were playing in a 3v3 game a few days ago on Levi.  Our 3rd guy dropped about 20/30 minutes in.  I was Sedna and my friend was Erebus.  We were absolutely overwhelmed at our base for literally 10 minutes, our citadel was down to 8000 HP.  We had literally a small amount of time before losing. The opposing team did not focus fire and we held it together, we killed each of their Demigods one by one and pushed them back.  With that money, we spend it on upgrades and got giants.  He pushed up with the units, I got flags we lost and by that time the giants had overwhelmed THEIR base and completely turned the tide of the game.  I came in to fight with my friend and we won it. 

He and I ended up dying only like twice.

Do not say there is no "turning tides" of games.  There is.  Just know your character and know how to play with your team. Whether or not they know how to do the same is based on luck, you can still stay with them and assist in kills.

If you want to complain, complain about people not complementing people on how they play or saying "gg" and "gl hf".

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.