The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

If you pirated Demigod...

By on April 26, 2009 11:35:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

..at least do the right thing now and purchase it. If only to support a smaller developer who has done everything possible(and continues to do so) to inform and support their growing community.

I swear it's refreshing to see the head of a company actually make almost daily highly informative, highly honest posts and keep us completely in the loop. Without that I can almost guarantee most of us would have felt it another case of ok, they shipped their not ready product out the door, have our money now and don't care. Because of this communication i feel like my purchase was not only appreciated, but that it's gone to support a developer who actually cares about their customers.

I just think if you pirated it, haven't bought it and are reading these forums - you obviously enjoy the game. Put your money where your mouth is and support these guys.

There are certain companies who I am certain knowingly release unfinished crap, understanding it will sell anyway and they can fix it later. Beyond the network issues, Demigod is a great game and one i hope has a really bright future. The quality of product and moreso the quality of post-release support really in turn deserves your support also so this game grows. Then we're all happy.

+16 Karma | 124 Replies
April 27, 2009 1:48:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Damn well said.

April 27, 2009 1:54:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Too bad most of them have no souls to appeal to

April 27, 2009 2:43:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You just need to speak their language.

Avast Mateys.

Heave to and harken to this dire missive. Hidden booty would be better spent upon a true copy of Demigod when next ye be in port. Amnesty granted for those grizzled sea dogs who heed this warning else cursed ye be.

Forever shall ye dance the hornpipe in Hades with a glowing hot spike up ye jacksie should ye fail to cross Frogboy's palm with silver. A gold doubloon is not worth the devil's mirth and it is a bargain cheaply bought to avoid his endless jolly rogering.

Heed my words you festering bilge rats!

April 27, 2009 2:49:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bought it the day after I pirated it. Wouldn't have done otherwise.

April 27, 2009 2:54:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1

It's a shame that you words will fall on deaf ears, for the most part. One only needs to look at the .96 versions of the game on Gameranger to see how many pirate copies are being played.

And folks wonder why games often do not reach there full potential...these same folks need to actually buy more games and the devs will be more than happy to develop it further with patches and expansions.

April 27, 2009 3:01:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neilo,
+1

It's a shame that you words will fall on deaf ears, for the most part. One only needs to look at the .96 versions of the game on Gameranger to see how many pirate copies are being played.

And folks wonder why games often do not reach there full potential...these same folks need to actually buy more games and the devs will be more than happy to develop it further with patches and expansions.

You mean .91

I don't use Gameranger anymore, because it's actually gotten easier to find an actual game on the official system then it is to find a legit one on gameranger. It's really quite hard to tell whether that's good for Stardock in getting the game halfway working, or horrible for the piracy....

April 27, 2009 10:13:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd say, DON'T buy this game. The devs should do their homework and properly test a game before releasing. I used to curse Blizzard for their "it will be released when it's done" but since stable, playable games are a rare commodity these days, I totally agree with them.

April 27, 2009 10:26:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What is with all the blizzard fanboyism around here? Even with their significantly bigger infrastructure and budget, they still release games that are broken on release, even with their "it'll be done when its done" mantra, they release things that dont work. Every damn significant WoW patch they bring out seems to crash every single server, or cause catastrophic damage.

Give Stardock a break already, I think they get the point that you think they are lazy greedy corperate assholes that just want to take your money and not deliever a game. That's why they havent given daily updates, that's why they havent already brought out 4 patches trying to fix the issue, that's why they haven't owned up to the fact that they grossly underestimated the infrastructure the game required, that's why they have been working retardledly long shifts trying to fix things. Yeah they are complete assholes, screw them.

They did test the damn game! They had 3 betas! There is only so much testing you can do with a limited size audiance. There is only so well "simulated" load tests can do. There are many things you can't predict when you mix the diverse nature of the world wide internet into the equation, that is why internet is always an issue in every game.

April 27, 2009 10:29:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Silphius,

Avast Mateys.

Heave to and harken to this dire missive. Hidden booty would be better spent upon a true copy of Demigod when next ye be in port. Amnesty granted for those grizzled sea dogs who heed this warning else cursed ye be.

Forever shall ye dance the hornpipe in Hades with a glowing hot spike up ye jacksie should ye fail to cross Frogboy's palm with silver. A gold doubloon is not worth the devil's mirth and it is a bargain cheaply bought to avoid his endless jolly rogering.

L O FRIGGIN L!!!!!!!!!!!  +1

April 27, 2009 10:38:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting UhelligGudn,
What is with all the blizzard fanboyism around here? Even with their significantly bigger infrastructure and budget, they still release games that are broken on release, even with their "it'll be done when its done" mantra, they release things that dont work. Every damn significant WoW patch they bring out seems to crash every single server, or cause catastrophic damage.

Give Stardock a break already, I think they get the point that you think they are lazy greedy corperate assholes that just want to take your money and not deliever a game. That's why they havent given daily updates, that's why they havent already brought out 4 patches trying to fix the issue, that's why they haven't owned up to the fact that they grossly underestimated the infrastructure the game required, that's why they have been working retardledly long shifts trying to fix things. Yeah they are complete assholes, screw them.

They did test the damn game! They had 3 betas! There is only so much testing you can do with a limited size audiance. There is only so well "simulated" load tests can do. There are many things you can't predict when you mix the diverse nature of the world wide internet into the equation, that is why internet is always an issue in every game.

Fanboy of the year? I never had this kind of problems with Wow or any other Blizzard game. I'm not going to give Stardock any break, these connection issues are known from the beta stages, check the forums.

The fact that they had 3 betas doesn't mean jack if the game still can't be enjoyed. Oh sure, they've done a great job of blaming this and that and talking on the forums, but guess what, that doesn't change the fact that you cannot start a 5 vs 5 game, that you have to wait 15 minutes or more to start a lame 2 vs 2 game, that the statistics are screwed, that the game freezes every minute, that people are disconnected, and by the time you actually start a game, people are already annoyed and leave after the first blood.

Stop lying about catastrophic disasters in Wow, 9 million people wouldn't be playing the game if it had crappy connection issues like Demigod.

April 27, 2009 10:39:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting doubledigit,
I'd say, DON'T buy this game. The devs should do their homework and properly test a game before releasing. I used to curse Blizzard for their "it will be released when it's done" but since stable, playable games are a rare commodity these days, I totally agree with them.

hold your tears pls.

you shouldn't cry because of some first days with network poblems.

There are a lot of unplayable games outside, look at this "Empire Total War" game, wich doesent work 1 month after release but is well sold because of the famous Series.

And dont compare a small develper like GPG with "holy wealthy Blizzard".

April 27, 2009 10:45:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DemiCom,

Quoting doubledigit, reply 7I'd say, DON'T buy this game. The devs should do their homework and properly test a game before releasing. I used to curse Blizzard for their "it will be released when it's done" but since stable, playable games are a rare commodity these days, I totally agree with them.

hold your tears pls.

you shouldn't cry because of some first days with network poblems.

There are a lot of unplayable games outside, look at this "Empire Total War" game, wich doesent work 1 month after release but is well sold because of the famous Series.

And dont compare a small develper like GPG with "holy wealthy Blizzard".

Guess you guys would praise a developer even if they sold you an empty box. 

I am comparing them, I don't care about their background, they should release games that WORK. I did not pay with counterfeit money, or stones for this so I should be getting what I am after.

April 27, 2009 10:48:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TheGuildfordStrangler,
Bought it the day after I pirated it. Wouldn't have done otherwise.

Ditto. Without a demo or a friend that bought the game, pirating it is the only way to try before you buy. This was before I read about singleplayer somehow mooching off Stardock's servers, obviously.

April 27, 2009 12:54:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I agree...but on the other hand, the connection problems are inexcusable. I haven't see such a broken game in a long time...

April 27, 2009 1:17:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have seen games this broken.  WoW when it first came out had horrendous connection problems at launch.  Same with Warhammer Online.

Dawn of War 2 had some bad issues in multiplayer and still has severely bad balance issues that make multiplayer unplayable.

Left 4 Dead STILL has server issues with bad lag and "No Steam Logon" issues.

The point is every game has its pitfalls at one time or another and they get fixed.  Enjoy the game, they WILL fix it.

April 27, 2009 1:49:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Silphius,

Avast Mateys.

I LOL'ed! You sir win one (1) internets!

April 27, 2009 6:12:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting doubledigit,

Fanboy of the year? I never had this kind of problems with Wow or any other Blizzard game. I'm not going to give Stardock any break, these connection issues are known from the beta stages, check the forums.

The fact that they had 3 betas doesn't mean jack if the game still can't be enjoyed. Oh sure, they've done a great job of blaming this and that and talking on the forums, but guess what, that doesn't change the fact that you cannot start a 5 vs 5 game, that you have to wait 15 minutes or more to start a lame 2 vs 2 game, that the statistics are screwed, that the game freezes every minute, that people are disconnected, and by the time you actually start a game, people are already annoyed and leave after the first blood.

Stop lying about catastrophic disasters in Wow, 9 million people wouldn't be playing the game if it had crappy connection issues like Demigod.

You see, all things said and done, keeping Demigod in Beta for an extra 6 months is unlikely to have solved any of these problems. Due to admitted problems with the way the Beta was run, it just wasn't setup to properly in order to properly vex the networking component of Demigod. While Stardock is to blame for this, and to blame for the fact the network code is insufficient to properly enjoy the game at launch, ever since problems became apparent Stardock has been nothing but useful to its customers, keeping them in the loop about future updates. While it would have been preferable to have the game perfect on release, Stardock has handled these problems especially well.

As for WoW, despite "customers voting with their feet" a games success cannot be used to measure how well a game is designed. At launch Blizzard too grossly underestimated the demand for their game and there were queue sizes in the thousands as everyone tried to cram onto servers, if they were even up. Just in their latest patch they managed to kill half their servers because the patch wasn't tested properly. A patch before that lost everyones mail (which contains all the items bought from the Auction House) among many of other issues. My point is not to say Stardock > Blizzard, or that because Blizzard screws up that it is excusable that Demigod is broken, however with many people arguing that Stardock should have been able to do awesome super special network code just because Blizzard can needs to be seen as just as invalid as an argument.

While everyone would agree that Demigod not working online at the moment is problematic, they have handled a bad situation rather well and it is much prefered to the usual ignoring of the issue, silence from game developers or even "no comment" replies to game breaking issues that has become all too frequent in games these days. It's a lesser of two evils I suppose.

April 27, 2009 6:40:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As for WoW, despite "customers voting with their feet" a games success cannot be used to measure how well a game is designed. At launch Blizzard too grossly underestimated the demand for their game and there were queue sizes in the thousands as everyone tried to cram onto servers, if they were even up. Just in their latest patch they managed to kill half their servers because the patch wasn't tested properly. A patch before that lost everyones mail (which contains all the items bought from the Auction House) among many of other issues. My point is not to say Stardock > Blizzard, or that because Blizzard screws up that it is excusable that Demigod is broken, however with many people arguing that Stardock should have been able to do awesome super special network code just because Blizzar

i have to agree with uhellig  all  games have bugs problems  cock ups    wow had alot  the only reason why uhellig even has to defend him self to a bilizzard fanboy is because there are too many bilizzard fanboys

i believe there are 9 million bilizzard fan boys

billizard has a huge  budget about 7 times the ammount whitch has been put into  dg   and the reason wow is so popular is because it is has a huge company backing it with shitloads off money  come on there is like 300 mmorpgs  out there and wow is proberly arround about 50 in the listings that means there is 49 better then it

dg is better then wow  because wow  is old and each expansion is just another  golden egg from goose  i wouldn't be surrprized if they milked wow for another 2 expansions

dg has allthe qualitys for a great game just some minor probs with connections  nothing huge like a bug which kills ur computer

stardock are trying ther best to make the game better and fixes the problems

April 27, 2009 7:32:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The point is EVERY game release that is based on large multiplayer elements is prone to unexpected problems such as this. The difference - and this is very important - is that some developers don't give a shit.

Yeah I agree, the issues I have experienced trying to play this game have been a frustrating nightmare. Even last night, after typing the original post, i spent most of the night trying to play and got 1 and a half games total. It's frustrating, but it's slowly getting better.

I love this game, i really do. It's damned enjoyable and really is a quality product. The key point is they are trying, and for smaller developers, every sale really counts. The more sales they can show on paper at the end of the day, the more support the game is going to get.

And like i said, IF you like this game enough to be reading its forums on a regular basis and have NOT paid for it, you really should. You owe them that much.

April 27, 2009 7:57:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting UhelligGudn,

Awesome response!

+1 for you!

April 27, 2009 8:02:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1 hmm im new to the forum care to enlighten me

April 27, 2009 8:05:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Honest ? I bought the game thinking there was some roleplaying part in it while in fact there is none. The game is fine but in the end its just a run for who get the biggest artefact first. No campaign, no tutorial, I say I got ripped off. Next time I'll download my games for free first then I'll see if its worth my money.

April 27, 2009 8:13:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

artifacts dont always win the fight but reg with artifact is redicullous

senda owns  even if they have artifacts

April 27, 2009 8:19:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Mordeinn,
Honest ? I bought the game thinking there was some roleplaying part in it while in fact there is none. The game is fine but in the end its just a run for who get the biggest artefact first. No campaign, no tutorial, I say I got ripped off. Next time I'll download my games for free first then I'll see if its worth my money.

Have you played DOTA before? If not I can see where you're coming from. The game is literally another take on DOTA. People call it inspired by or whatever, but it's basically the DOTA gameplay style applied in a different environment. To someone who has not played it before it's not immediatley obvious what you need to do or how the game works.

DOTA is hugely popular because it is extremely intense and more like a game of sport than a traditional online multiplayer game imo. It's a push pull type battle of attrition where you need to be flexible and aware of when to really push or fall back etc.

Main thing is though yeah, a bit of a video tutorial explaining the overall concept would have really helped. I hope they add one in at a later date.

As far as single player roleplay portions though - they dont really have a place in this game. It's pretty much solely a multiplayer title imo. You could add a single player campaign to broaden the interest, but imo it's real strength is strictly it's player vs player portion.

April 27, 2009 8:22:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

fyi if u argue with doubledigit u lose, he might not know it yet but hes turning into a troll

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.