The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Where we’re at as we enter the weekend

By on April 25, 2009 2:23:28 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1469

The big update we were working on to get up this week went down to the wire which was a new NAT facilitator that made joining games extremely fast and extremely robust. 

Since we’re doing some of this on the fly, we obviously didn’t get to stress test scale.  And so what works great for say 50 people testing things out fell apart when a few thousand people jumped on. 

We had considered that possibility so we had an alternative, more conservative build already wound up and flipped the switch on that.  But the result is that the progress for those having connectivity issues in MP was not as far as we had hoped.

Gas Powered Games and Stardock are taking the weekend off to try to recharge a little bit. There is high confidence on both teams that those people having problems connecting will see their problems resolved shortly. 

Like those of you running into those kinds of issues, I get frustrated at this kind of thing. Tonight was particularly tough since it was working so well.

We appreciate your patience and on behalf of everyone at Stardock and GPG, have a good weekend and you have our dedication.

Hopefully next week we can start talking about additional Demigods.

In the meantime, I hate to have to recommend a third party program but Game Ranger does work pretty well as long as you’re playing other people with the legitimate version: www.gameranger.com.

Locked Post 85 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 25, 2009 7:04:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Since first day i bought this game i have trouble with multiplayer, amazing lags, Nat facilitator errors, crashes etc etc... and now i cant even connect without any reasons... No one from Dev team cant answer why, but i wanna play, wanna play in game that i bought, and u said that its dumb? Next time Stardock must post on their Game Boxes that game is unstable and user may have trouble by attemting to play in multiplayer. That realy looks like on Beta test... but u forget on moment - Beta test must be free.

April 25, 2009 7:33:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ThePanic71,
I don't mean to be critical of Gas Powered Games but where are they? This is their game. If I had a problem with Company of Heroes I'd expect to hear from Relic, not have the CEO of THQ having to do all this.

Because the issue is largely with the Impulse matchmaking service facilitating the multiplayer.  GPG end of things works fairly well.  I don't have many, if any, issues once I get into a game.  GameRanger apparently works pretty well too.  I understand there are a couple of things that GPG needs to do to assist matchmaking, but I have to imagine that most of it is on Stardocks end of things.

April 25, 2009 7:40:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

from my personal experience, the connectivity issues are just about gone.  there seems to be a few problems remaining (bigger gamemodes like 4v4 and 5v5 are troublesome), but joining and playing games has become a reliable occurrence for me.  i know that doesn't help people with buckets of problems but oh well.  also, things like the NAT server crashing (like today) are just going to happen with MP games.  sometimes online services experience problems and need maintenance.

anyway i'm mainly looking at one particular targeting bug, and i hope GPG is looking at it as well  

April 25, 2009 8:19:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Phalnax811,
wow dude, you got a profile named  fixmyfavor...that's pathetic....that is really pathetic....

I think it's a fair name given the situation. I paid $44.99 CAD for a retail box which says on it that I may "unlock powerful achievements", yet due to bugs breaking the game, I cannot do so. 

Maybe if a dev sees a post of two of mine or my posting name then they will realize that broken favor is a huge issue that should not be neglected for other issues.  I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything.  This is the best way i could think of to try let the devs know about the great importance of fixing favor. 

April 25, 2009 8:21:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is the biggest noob company I've ever dealt with. As a DOTA player for 2 years, I've come to expect the quality and reliability from Blizzard and the DOTA map designers. I never hear them whining about taking a weekend off leaving a game unplayable that so many people have already paid for.

The best word to describe my entire experience with this company is "unprofessional." I'd understand if some of my friends were making a game and cut them some slack. But I bought this and should expect some amount of professionalism. Very sad.

April 25, 2009 8:22:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe if a dev sees a post of two of mine or my posting name then they will realize that broken favor is a huge issue that should not be neglected for other issues.

Tbh, I think it should be massivly neglected until the connectivity is sorted

April 25, 2009 9:03:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Loving this game, Can't believe so many warez users are playing online - take take take!

We cannot buy the game down here in New Zealand yet so a bunch of us have bought from impulse and are loving it.  Having problems connecting to custom games as are everyone else, but happy to wait for the fix.

Thanks for making such a great game, hopefully these pirates will recognise the game for how great it is and go buy it!

Thanks for all the communication as well Stardock Peeps!  It nullifies any frustration I may have had to know you are all taking this seriously!

April 25, 2009 9:14:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Because the issue is largely with the Impulse matchmaking service facilitating the multiplayer. GPG end of things works fairly well. I don't have many, if any, issues once I get into a game. GameRanger apparently works pretty well too. I understand there are a couple of things that GPG needs to do to assist matchmaking, but I have to imagine that most of it is on Stardocks end of things.

That would be an incorrect assumption.

April 25, 2009 9:17:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zolimox,

Quoting ThePanic71,
reply 24

Quoting Zolimox, reply 22

Quoting Gnats3,
reply 12
Where we're at?    How dare you let game development destroy your grammar!

Have a good weekend anyway .  You guys deserve it.

Quite honestly (and i dont mean this rudely), no i dont think they deserve it. What they have earned is patience on the part of the community because of the phenomenal support games like GalCiv2 and Sins got. This release is uncatagorically not a success and releasing a borked first (and second) patch is really REALLY bad press.

So what magic wand do you expect the PUBLISHER of the game to wave?

The "release a game that works" wand. Or perhaps the "when releasing a patch dont break the game" wand? Look, im entitled to an opinion and my opinion is stardock, as the publisher, should not have released the game that doesnt work.

Sorry, maybe i live on a planet where if you pay money for something you expect to get what you paid for? I didnt want to be a beta tester.

The multiplayer match making service that comes with the game is definitely giving them fits. But a game that doesn't work? Please.  There are plenty of other options to play multiplayer including GameRanger. 

As someone who was in the beta, I can tell you the game, including multiplayer, worked pretty well. The game certainly didn't feel unfinished to me when I played, most complaints were worries about one demigod being too powerful than another.

I agree they need to make the built in match making a lot more reliable but it's not as if we have no other options.

April 25, 2009 9:33:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It would be better to have the balance and bugs and make sure people are playing online without a problem first before the new demigods.

April 25, 2009 10:07:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Xan,

The multiplayer match making service that comes with the game is definitely giving them fits. But a game that doesn't work? Please.  There are plenty of other options to play multiplayer including GameRanger. 

As someone who was in the beta, I can tell you the game, including multiplayer, worked pretty well. The game certainly didn't feel unfinished to me when I played, most complaints were worries about one demigod being too powerful than another.

I agree they need to make the built in match making a lot more reliable but it's not as if we have no other options.

Youre not telling me that downloading a third party solution gameranger (which Frogboy was hesitant to recommend) for a retail soultion is an optimal thing. And you can't possibly be telling me that favour points, stats, MATCHMAKING even remotely work reliably.

Trust me dude, im ALL for stardock. I cant stand that big game studious run things. But you HAVE to have a certain release quality which this game quite simply DOES NOT MEET! I dont care if it's GPG or Stardock. They are one and the same in my eyes. I bought this game BECAUSE it was stardock. I dont mean to be irate but the simple matter is, i paid for a working game, this game does not work so far. I hate (really hate) to keep harping on this fact but we have to keep all of these studious in line. I've started ONLY buying from studios with a good track record (ALA Blizzard, Bungie and up until now SD). Westwood studios can kiss it along with a dozen other crappy games that i've paid good money for. 

I apologize for this rant but im sick of people telling me this isnt a valid opinion. I dont think expecting a game to work on day one (like MANY a good game from blizzard) is that big of a deal. Dollars to donuts im not posting on blizzard's forums a day after SC2 or D3 releases

April 26, 2009 1:28:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Let's see. Size of Blizzard. Size of Stardock.

Yeah. Sounds like a totally fair comparison of resources.

April 26, 2009 4:42:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome. GJ

April 26, 2009 6:39:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd just like to say thanks to Frogboy for keeping us in the loop and to the rest of the stardock team for trying to sort our problems out.

Lest we so quickly forget.  I love blizzard, and as their name is getting dropped a lot as a litmus test for what a good company does let me share this much:

D1: Over ran with hacks that were never fixed, or corrected.

D2: Broken on Bnet for the entire first week of release.  Worked great in beta, but blizzard, at the time (remember they were small once) had no way of realizing nor the resources to know the stress hundreds of thousands of gamers would place on the server and what worked well in beta absolutely did not once it was released.  Took them about a week to fix the problems.

WoW: Totally f***ed for two weeks on most servers.

Now that's overwith.  People are bitching because SD took the weekend off after this small dev team spent in upwards of 56 hours on shifts trying to fix things.  56 hours away from friends and families.  Most of you think working a 12 hr shift is bad.

As for frogboy's suggestion of using gameranger.  Obviously he was reluctant, but at least he's trying to be helpful in providing a way to enjoy the game online while things are still messed up.  He could take the typical video conglomorate stance and say NO NO NO to third party software, much less one that allows pirated version play.

It's easy to armchair quarterback them all day.  Most of you spent $40 and feel like you should get what you paid for.  I agree, but keep in mind that most online review sites openly stated that MP was messed up for the time being.  IGN's review came out on the 17th and the headline was

There's a great multiplayer game here... when it works.

Unless you bought the game the day it released I just can't believe you had no idea parts of the game were semi broken.  Unless of course you just buy things on blind intuition and in that case, shame on you anyways.

Now that I look back on what I've just spent 5 minutes ranting about.  I have no idea why I'm even talking.  Those of you who are complaining are going to complain even after things are fixed.

April 26, 2009 6:56:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting zooplibob,
This is the biggest noob company I've ever dealt with. As a DOTA player for 2 years, I've come to expect the quality and reliability from Blizzard and the DOTA map designers. I never hear them whining about taking a weekend off leaving a game unplayable that so many people have already paid for.

The best word to describe my entire experience with this company is "unprofessional." I'd understand if some of my friends were making a game and cut them some slack. But I bought this and should expect some amount of professionalism. Very sad.

Wait what? Warcraft 3 was released 2003 as well as the first version of dota. So they had like 4 more years to solve their problems. Given that you joined this game 2 years ago. And still comparing Blizzard to Stardock isn't that like david vs. goliath?
Sure you someone should expect a working program after he/she bough it but thats not very popular anymore these days. (No excuse just an observation)

Stardock does an excellent job right now and even companys like blizzard could learn a thing or two from them in form of communication.

April 26, 2009 9:14:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Rokuji,

Unless you bought the game the day it released I just can't believe you had no idea parts of the game were semi broken. 

I dont even know where to begin with that statement. I bought it on day one and expected it TO WORK.

April 26, 2009 12:01:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

While I still thinks that for most of this connectivity issue we should blame you and I also wish some of the balance of the game to be fixed up and this issue is only delaying that, I really appreciate the continuos reporting on what you are doing. That's a things that make a difference. I also thinks that as the things are now it's really better to take rest to do better later because rationally there's no improvement in trying work restlessy on things.

So enjoy your rest. Most of us will wait. Just take in mind that even people that are a bit harsh on you had already paid and had faith in you, so don't blame them for being anxious.

April 26, 2009 3:38:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting UhelligGudn,
Let's see. Size of Blizzard. Size of Stardock.

Quoting Awbee,

Wait what? Warcraft 3 was released 2003 as well as the first version of dota. So they had like 4 more years to solve their problems. Given that you joined this game 2 years ago. And still comparing Blizzard to Stardock isn't that like david vs. goliath?
Sure you someone should expect a working program after he/she bough it but thats not very popular anymore these days. (No excuse just an observation)

Stardock does an excellent job right now and even companys like blizzard could learn a thing or two from them in form of communication.

Then why are they charging $50 for it? If you are going to concede that they are a crappier company, then they should be charging $5 for the game. Then I wont be complaining. But if they charge the same as Blizzard for a game that doesnt work, they have no excuses.

Reading these journal entries, it sounds like a group of friends working on a late night project before the deadline. Taking the weekend off is by no means a "well deserved break". We've basically given the company a few hundred thousand dollar loan while they still try to develop the game. Unacceptable.

April 26, 2009 3:52:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

FrogBoy, I love these updates, your support is phenomenal. I was skeptical as Demigod was my frist Stardock published game that I've purchased and while the launch was bumpy you have completely turned me around. Definitely am thrilled to be playing and supporting your games now! Rock on.

April 26, 2009 3:54:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Then why are they charging $50 for it? If you are going to concede that they are a crappier company, then they should be charging $5 for the game. Then I wont be complaining. But if they charge the same as Blizzard for a game that doesnt work, they have no excuses.

Where the heck did you get that number? I got my copy for $40, and I know for a fact that there are places where you can get it for $35.

I think that the guys at Stardock deserve a break. They worked through a holiday weekend, for goodness sake! Because Gamestop couldn't follow the rules.

Part of the reason for the connectivity problems is that the game was released a week earlier than it was supposed to be, so they were unprepared. If you want to blame someone, blame Gamestop.

April 26, 2009 5:50:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting zooplibob,

Reading these journal entries, it sounds like a group of friends working on a late night project before the deadline. Taking the weekend off is by no means a "well deserved break". We've basically given the company a few hundred thousand dollar loan while they still try to develop the game. Unacceptable.

Why won't they? The game works. Not for everyone but it works. And blizzard never released a fully polished game on day 1. No company ever did.

April 26, 2009 5:53:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Amazing game. great great gamplay and fantastic visuals and maps. I love how one gets a more personal touch with their 'army' instead of doing the usual rush/steamrole tactics we see in most RTS's.  1st game i've purchased off Stardock and am very impressed.  Nice news about the patch and am enjoying hopefully a secure online match.  Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the music at times makes me turn up my speakers just to hear what a great job you guys have done at making everything come together with Demigod.  I'm sure you already know, but the issue over lost favor points and achievement items comes possibly before the new demigods.  Not that much of a pressing issue, but will look foreward to a patch soon.  Great game.

April 26, 2009 6:00:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting zooplibob,

Quoting UhelligGudn, reply 12Let's see. Size of Blizzard. Size of Stardock.

Quoting Awbee, reply 15

First of all the game isnt $50 if u bought it for 50 u got screwed.

Did you ever play a Blizz game at release?

I remember the World of Warcraft start, if was a lag and bugfest, same with Warhammer, not Blizz but still a big company.

And to the 5$, did you ever get anything else but shit for 5$? I think ppl are way too harsh if they say the "Service" here is bad, because if you go elsewhere often you dont even get Developers to answer and tell the Community whats going on.

And slightly off, if they would have released the game in 3 weeks from now it would have cost the same. So I'm pretty much happy that i can play it already. And anyone who tried GameRanger knows that its tons of fun and not that bugged after all.

Anyway... just my 2cents

April 26, 2009 7:07:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Synatic,

First of all the game isnt $50 if u bought it for 50 u got screwed.

Did you ever play a Blizz game at release?

Im sorry, download is 40$, retail is 50$. What good **** are you smoking and where can i get some?

As to your second point, yes i've played them all. With the exception of D2 i havent had a single issue, and even with D2 it was fixed within A WEEK. WoW worked on the 2nd day (and those that were on the 1st day just couldnt get through the queue because 1st day was perfectly fine if you could login). I'd happily take a "queue" that worked over a matchmaking system thats totally hosed.

Just my 4cents (and 4 beats 2). Oh, and ill be buying any future blizzard game (ALA D3 and SC3). I think ill wait for the reviews for any future SD (and especially GPG) games. This is bull, sorry.

EDIT: I will caveat this with game bought within first week. If it's dropped in price after the first week, thats not a good sign.

April 26, 2009 8:31:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im sorry, download is 40$, retail is 50$. What good **** are you smoking and where can i get some?

$40 is the normal price for the retail edition, it is the collector's edtion that is around $50

If you payed $50 American for the normal edition, then you got ripped off.

Official price statement here.

Stardock announced today that its much anticipated PC real-time action strategy game, Demigod is now available for purchase at most retail outlets in North America as well as available worldwide digitally via Impulse at the same price ($39.95) no matter where the person is located.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.