The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Cannot connect to a NAT facilitator

By on April 19, 2009 12:42:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Spooky__

Join Date 10/2008
+74

Well it turns out, that on a different internet location of mine, I have a strange problem too. Everytime I want to connect or host a game (doesn't matter if Skirmish, Pantheon or Custom), I get the message

"Cannot connect to a NAT facilitator. Please try again later."

The only thing I could find about this problem is this thread from the beta: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/336807

• I can ping cvp1.stardock.com just fine
  • I forwarded port 6000 UDP (I'm pretty sure I don't have to, since it's just used for outbound connection)
  • I forwarded port 6073 UDP (default port for hosting games I believe?)
  • I forwarded ports 6200 - 6250 UDP (the ones I set with ImpulseReactorOptions.exe)
  • UPnP is disabled
  • I use no firewall at all (not on the router and not on the PC)
  • According to tcpview and other port enumerators, no connection attempt on port 6000 UDP is ever made.

Why is this happening?

Locked Post 121 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 6, 2009 5:43:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

// nvm

May 9, 2009 7:51:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just downloaded the latest beta, it still doesn't fix this.

May 9, 2009 9:43:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Spooky: Can you test something? Go to www.whatsmyip.org . Check if the IP address it reports is the same as the internet IP address reported in your router, normally under router status.

I've got a sneaking suspicion this may have something to do with being behind transparent proxies. I tested this by connecting to my work VPN in Europe, which I know is not behind a transparent proxy, and I was able to connect to games and other players. However, this is not a permanent solution for me, because my work VPN connection is very poor for gaming, due to it being largely saturated with remote desktops and backup downloads and uploads.

Transparent Proxies are implemented at ISP level, all your traffic runs through it if you are behind one. Theres nothing you as an individual can do about it, but it may help Stardock figure this out. Its pretty common since it doesn't normally interefere with connectivity.

May 9, 2009 11:39:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm having the same problem.
Haven't been able to join (or host) due to inability to connect to a NAT facilitator. I've tried everything suggested with no success... It sounds like the connectivity patch won't help our particular situation either, does anyone have any further ideas?

May 10, 2009 3:34:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Denominus: I have no access to the Routermodem, so I wouldn't be able to check that. But I'm pretty sure that there is no transparent proxy involved (otherwise I would have trouble with other games too probably). Also I know from my ISP that the Routermodem is simply forwarding the traffic to one IP in its LAN (= DMZ).

May 10, 2009 5:05:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

the new beta update did fix most my connectivity problems. sometimes i get the "NAT failed" but usually I can now get into the lobby. The game also has problems when multiple users try to connect. Either it takes a loooong time or one or two get the error above.

I hope you can get the mp game running

May 10, 2009 8:31:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When i download and install this beta patch i had this problem. Without beta patch i play normal. What i can do?

May 10, 2009 10:50:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Possible Solution

Open up ImpulseReactorOptions.exe, uncheck "Specify NAT port range" altogether.

This allows me to connect to a NAT facilitator immediately unlike before, and can thus get to the lobby. I still have port 6073 forwarded, which I assume is still required.
I'm about to test a game and will confirm whether it works or not.

Good luck.

EDIT: Confirmed

Successfully just played one game using this solution [Note: I am using the Beta version]. So if you are still having this issue after trying the beta patch, try the method described above and see if that helps.

Let me know if this solves the issue for anyone else!

May 10, 2009 11:40:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Holy crap! The new beta patch fixed this problem for me .

May 10, 2009 12:06:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I install old patch and problem is gone

May 10, 2009 4:00:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Guys, before you get all hyped up.

The game was working as well for me TEMPORARILY. Literaly for 12 hours or so, it was working for me aswell flawlessy. I went out for a bit and I'm getting the same issue again.

I assume they did something their end, and have now undone it.

The beta build patch did not fix the problem, I know because I sat with it for a few hours trying to get it to work. Then suddenly, it just started to work. Now just as suddenly as it started to work, it has stopped working again.

May 10, 2009 9:53:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My game is currently still working with ImpulseReactorOptions set to ignore the specified NAT range (unchecked box).

Could be just a big coincidence if it's something which they are tweaking on their end, though.

May 11, 2009 12:42:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Double and triple checked again after your response Pomma, still no dice for me, other than that very brief window on Saturday/Sunday where it seemed to be working.

I tried mucking around with various options and forwarding various ranges of ports again, and ofcourse, as you suggested unchecking "Specify NAT range" in ImpulseReactorOptions.

The strangest thing is, on Saturday when it started to work, I did nothing. I just went in the game to test and see if they were tinkering with it and I landed straight in a lobby and connected to everyone in 3 seconds flat. Tried a few different games and sure enough, it was working 100%. It was even using my specified port range in ImpulseReactorOptions of 6120-6140, I confirmed this in my router's logs.

Now, atleast for me, its totally broken, not able to make the connection to the facilitator again.  

May 11, 2009 12:51:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Pomma,
Possible Solution

Open up ImpulseReactorOptions.exe, uncheck "Specify NAT port range" altogether.

This allows me to connect to a NAT facilitator immediately unlike before, and can thus get to the lobby. I still have port 6073 forwarded, which I assume is still required.
I'm about to test a game and will confirm whether it works or not.

Good luck.

EDIT: Confirmed

Successfully just played one game using this solution [Note: I am using the Beta version]. So if you are still having this issue after trying the beta patch, try the method described above and see if that helps.

Let me know if this solves the issue for anyone else!

This wont work for 2 ppl on the same network ? As in 2 ppl on the same lan playing online.. (1 router)

May 11, 2009 1:32:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Denominus, it's odd how it worked for a short window there since it'd be unlikely that they did something on their end over the weekend. For me, as soon as I use the ImpulseReactorOptions I am unable to connect, regardless of how my router is set up. It has me stumped.

@Xclaim, I can't test this unfortunately, but it seems to me as if the game finds a port it can use by itself:

Code: c++
  1. [05-11-2009 15:17:08 339] CVPIsAppUpdateRequired
  2. Installed version: 1.00[b].073
  3. Latest version: 1.00[b].073 (server 1, beta 1)
  4. [05-11-2009 15:17:14 709] Updating user player data.
  5. [05-11-2009 15:17:14 979] CVP: JoinGame 390610
  6. [05-11-2009 15:17:15 807] Updating user player data.
  7. [05-11-2009 15:17:15 831] Timeout time set to 30000
  8. [05-11-2009 15:17:15 832] CVPMultiplayerEngine: NAT punchthrough is enabled.
  9. [05-11-2009 15:17:15 832] CVPMultiplayerEngine::SetupNATPunchthrough()
  10. [05-11-2009 15:17:15 832] CVPMultiplayerEngine: setting up NAT Punchthrough Client
  11. [05-11-2009 15:17:15 832] CVPMultiplayerEngine: Attaching NAT Punchthrough plugin
  12. [05-11-2009 15:17:15 832] CVPMultiplayerEngine starting as database client
  13. [05-11-2009 15:17:15 832] client starting with 1 socket descriptors.
  14. [05-11-2009 15:17:15 843] CVPShowConnectionMiniWindow
  15. [05-11-2009 15:17:16 371] Message received by CVPMultiplayerEngine: ID_CONNECTION_REQUEST_ACCEPTED from 209.124.63.249:6002  GUID: 457730027.432241844.2297362526.3456301697
  16. [05-11-2009 15:17:16 371] Connected to facilitator at 209.124.63.249:6002.  My External: 58.175.xxx.xxx:32946  My Internal: 192.168.0.4:58004 (CONNECTION ACTIVITY)

This is an excerpt from ImpulseReactor.log (without my complete external IP), as you can see it seems as if the port selection is somewhat automatic.
Interestingly, I do not even have port 58004 forwarded to my PC and according to PortChecker, that port is unreachable. Perhaps someone who knows more about this stuff than me can make sense of it.

May 11, 2009 3:10:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You don't need to forward that port. It's just the outgoing port for connecting to the NAT facilitator.

Also, not using ImpulseReactorOptions shouldn't affect the connection with the NAT facilitator. Unless you defined something like 6001 - 6020.

May 11, 2009 5:49:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok that makes sense, thanks for the info.

Odd, it definitely prevents my connection to the NAT facilitator for some inexplicable reason.. *shrug*. I tried forwarding 6100-6200 as suggested, and also 6500-6600 with use of the ImpulseReactorOptions, both of which didn't work at all.

May 11, 2009 8:45:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You need to have the impulsereactor box checked though for 2 ppl on the same router yeah?

May 11, 2009 9:31:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Xclaim,
You need to have the impulsereactor box checked though for 2 ppl on the same router yeah?
Well, idealy yes, in order to use direct connections.

May 12, 2009 7:39:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It started working again for me.

Because I've been toying and playing with so many settings (I'm now back to what I originally was), its tough for me to say if its actually a problem with my routers configuration or at my ISP.

I doubt its at my ISP, if I dial out from my PC instead of from my router, everything works 100%,. Since everyone is now up and running properly, I'm going to guess that its a problem with my router, possibly with my router syncing correctly with my ISP.

May 14, 2009 5:23:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nooooooo, Stardock, what have you done . Now it doesn't work again, after today's patch.

May 14, 2009 5:45:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Same.

Game worked perfectly this morning and now im getting this nat stuff :KK

May 14, 2009 6:42:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I talked with CariElf. She thinks that it will probably be fixed with the next patch, at least my specific problem. (This error still has different causes for different players.)

May 14, 2009 8:26:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WELP. Weird that it stopped working for you guys as it started working for me, custom games included!

May 14, 2009 10:14:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

cancel that, stopped working about 9:40 pm est

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000907   Page Render Time: