The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Negative Favor? - Temp Fix Right Here!

By on April 17, 2009 11:28:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Greetings Demigod Fans,

Long ago we've reported a bug to GPG about Favor Points resetting on us. This got worse in release as now they dip into Negative numbers for no reason. Worry not, this is not part of the game design. In fact, the entire game's player recording system is completely broken so all of your achievements, purchased achievement items, and favor will often get deleted. Well how do you resolve this issue on your own? Very simple, so simple you'd think I'm joking.

The Resolution

Turn off your game. If the game is running, this will not work.

Go to My Documents/My Games/Gas Powered Games/Demigod

Locate the Game.prefs file.

Open the Game.prefs file in a Notepad.

Fixing Favor Points

Go to Edit, Find.

Search for "Points =" without the quotes.

On the "Points =" line, alter your favor. The line should look like this:

Points = -2280,

Either just delete the negative, or edit it to whatever number you desire to afford the achievements you already bought, or really want.

Then Save and close file.

Being Able to Use the New Favor and Erase Old Favor. 

Once you edit the Game.prefs file, go ahead and start the game.

Go to Multplayer - LAN.

Host a quick LAN game solo with an AI and begin.

Check your Favor, it should be the number you recorded. Then go to Menu, and End Game. (Not Exit to Windows)

Do not exit the game. Likely, each time you exit Demigod it will mess up your Favor. Just jump right into Multiplayer.

Afterwards, you can go online and play with the new Favor. Pantheon included.

+70 Karma | 25 Replies
April 17, 2009 11:49:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice fix!

April 17, 2009 3:08:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the Karma. ^^

April 17, 2009 3:13:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I imagine this is a singleplayer only type of edit?

April 17, 2009 4:00:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That is so simple. Surely you are joking /kidding

Thanks a lot. Is it multiplayer too? 

April 17, 2009 4:31:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting cwm33,
I imagine this is a singleplayer only type of edit?

Nope favor is stored client side. I guess they sort of had to do that for SP players.

They could of made favor MP only though.

April 17, 2009 4:51:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting innociv,

Quoting cwm33, reply 3I imagine this is a singleplayer only type of edit?
Nope favor is stored client side. I guess they sort of had to do that for SP players.

They could of made favor MP only though.

That does not seem to work.  I set mine to 1800 (~ the amount I should have).  When I logged into to a MP game, I still have -115!!!

So maybe that's just for single player?

At any rate, Stardock/GPG need to fix the whole losing favor, going negative and losing items that you had previously purchased!!!

Here is what was happening to me:

• I had ~500 favor, was saving for the blood vile (800 health +5 regen) and I go to play, I'm at 40 favor... exuse me?
  • So I started tracking my favor now, after a few matches I was back up to 190; cool. 
  • I lose a match and only gained 10 so when I go back in I should be at 200 right?
  • Wrong, It now shows me at -115? What the heck?
  • Also I had purchased the Swift anklet and at some point it took it away from me! 

This happened to me in Beta!  I assumed that it would have been fixed for retail (and it should have), I'm disapointed that this is still happening.

-Jara

PS: At any time you should be able to click the favor button and still see the possible items to purchase and how much favor you have currently, not just when you've not purchased an item.

April 17, 2009 5:40:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From my testing the OP's suggestion works for multiplayer LAN play, but not for internet play.

There also apears to be 3 seperate pools for favor:

1. Multiplayer Internet
  2. Multiplayer LAN
  3. Single Player
April 17, 2009 8:25:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hm and yeah it didn't work for me.  It showed the positive favor in achievements, but when i went online it was neg.

April 17, 2009 8:30:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Try playing on Multiplayer LAN first, exit game, then try Pantheon,

April 17, 2009 9:25:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay amended the Multiplayer LAN portion of the fix, because the game seems to remember your favor in Pantheon to some degree. Playing a LAN game and exiting it will solve this issue.

April 17, 2009 10:52:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

isnt this kinda cheap though? i mean favor isnt hard to get by any means but it takes the fun out of working for it.

you could just play without a favor item for a few games, but its a very good find orlean

April 17, 2009 11:00:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mrmagerss,
isnt this kinda cheap though? i mean favor isnt hard to get by any means but it takes the fun out of working for it.

you could just play without a favor item for a few games, but its a very good find orlean

with poor connections, it sucks to get into a game and be outmatched cause they can teleport without paying, or something

i took the route of playing ai when servers blew, in hindsight, it wasnt needed cause now i can connect, but still. i also think favor is a broken mechanic now

April 17, 2009 11:08:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does not work for me, this only affects Lan favor points, when i try any game mode through internet its the same negative favor points i had.

Yes i read the instructions carefully, end game, not to windows

then tried pantheon.. same negative favor

exited to windows.. back in DG.. checked lan.. favor points i chose before, ended game, checked internet, same negative favor points

so fix doesnt work since i tested it

April 17, 2009 11:08:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just want my panthoen game favor points.. so many games, still the negative favor

April 18, 2009 12:35:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You need to go into a LAN game first, possibly even buy an item. Do not Exit Demigod completely, just End the Game and then go right to Pantheon. Works everytime for me.

April 18, 2009 10:59:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fix is here people.

April 19, 2009 11:05:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well im still stuck at -910. Got well positive in single and multiplayer lan. Played LAN game, completed it, immediately joined pantheon without logging out of the game, no dice.

April 19, 2009 11:14:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annekynn,
Well im still stuck at -910. Got well positive in single and multiplayer lan. Played LAN game, completed it, immediately joined pantheon without logging out of the game, no dice.

same...

April 20, 2009 11:49:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's not going to be a complete fix-it-all. I still have to repeat this process a lot, and I still get negatives. It's frankly pretty random, but at least this helps me enough to keep getting the Favor Items I wish, even if it keeps throwing me into negative territory.

April 20, 2009 12:30:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This does work, but it is random. In one Pantheon game I had 5000 points using this fix, but it was against bots. IMO favor is horribly broken.

April 20, 2009 12:46:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just gave up on favor items since itnot only went negative for a 3rd time, but wiped all my items.

This was a bug back in beta too.

April 20, 2009 1:26:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can we get some kind of official dev response to this issue and get it stickied please - this is creating a lot of confusion. Just a simple yeah its broke, we are working on it response would be all thats needed.  Is there any chance we could get a patch to just disable favor items until this issue is fixed? I agree with one of the other posters that it does get annoying going against others with uber favor items that you cant get cause the favor system is messed up. Just make the favor item button/f4 greyed out and unusable with a tooltip that says temporarily down for maintenance or something. Id be a lot less annoyed knowing it wasnt working and it was in the process of being fixed than I am after trying everything to figure out what I was doing wrong causing my favor points to continue farther negative.

April 20, 2009 1:35:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OrleanKnight,
It's not going to be a complete fix-it-all. I still have to repeat this process a lot, and I still get negatives. It's frankly pretty random, but at least this helps me enough to keep getting the Favor Items I wish, even if it keeps throwing me into negative territory.

Frankly it's not a fix at all.  I've wasted my time once to get out of negative and buy back the favor items I should have only to have them all removed but one and slapped with a huge negative score.

So imo it's not worth even trying to get out of the negative hole it puts you in unless the favor item you really like to use is not an option... but even then it's a stupid amount of *fake* games you have to play and my time is more valuable than that.

April 20, 2009 1:46:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting warhawke,
Can we get some kind of official dev response to this issue and get it stickied please - this is creating a lot of confusion. Just a simple yeah its broke, we are working on it response would be all thats needed.  Is there any chance we could get a patch to just disable favor items until this issue is fixed? I agree with one of the other posters that it does get annoying going against others with uber favor items that you cant get cause the favor system is messed up. Just make the favor item button/f4 greyed out and unusable with a tooltip that says temporarily down for maintenance or something. Id be a lot less annoyed knowing it wasnt working and it was in the process of being fixed than I am after trying everything tofigure out what I was doing wrong causing my favor points to continue farther negative.

They have:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/347467

4. Favor Points and such. There’s some annoying stuff happening with favor points which is related to the ranking system in Demigod as well. First off, we plan to reset the rankings at some point when we enter Epoch 1 (we are in Epoch 0 presently game-wise, I’ll explain Epochs later but in short, every so often we’re going to reset the rankings, save the results as an epoch and go from there).  In Epoch 1, custom games won’t count anymore as there’s too many ways to game it.

April 20, 2009 1:51:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, this is a longtime problem and while this fix is apparently helpful. It certainly does not induce a sense of confidence when they'll let the game go live with whole chunks of the game simply not working. Here's the beta post I made on the subject for refrence back March 6th.

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/342371

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.