The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Gamespot Reviews

Cant belive what frustrated reviewers can do...

By on April 15, 2009 9:49:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

STRUMFIC

Join Date 04/2009
+2

Man, im so disapointed in Gamespot.....

6.5 for a game that will last for a 10-15 years...this will be a tabu game, must have for serius gamer, like diablo, starcraft, and wc3... 

They rated this on basic like - problems with online playing (that will be ofcourse fixed i belive with next pach), and couse this is pure Multiplayer game for relaxing brains and nerves...

Im so so so disapointed with gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/demigod/video/6208019/demigod-video-review there u go watch the review and post comments

Locked Post 109 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 15, 2009 9:53:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

6.5 for a multiplayer game that 90% of the people can't play multiplayer on? you are right sounds way too generous, but then again gamespot is always off

April 15, 2009 9:56:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would of gave it a 2/10 and then reviewed the next version of demigod seperately whenever it comes out.

April 15, 2009 9:58:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

kinda missed the OPs point didnt ya supermud.

April 15, 2009 9:59:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

tbh, this is the first game i have enjoyed, and played for longer than 2-3 hours in years.

its brilliant, and via lan/hamachi its a lot of fun, i dont mind waiting for the Online issues to be solved - it always takes time with EVERY NEW ONLINE GAME to get it sorted, nevermind that this one was released early (not by devs doing)

id give it a rundown like this

Graphics 7 (its not crysis, but they work)

Sound 7 (theres better, but it works, and i havent muted it yet)

Gameplay 9.8 (fun, and lots of tactic and strategies already emerging)

Lifespan 10 (this really will be a classic)

April 15, 2009 9:59:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The game is trash right now. 6.5 is generous.

April 15, 2009 10:05:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have my own problem with Demigod.

Thing is, reviewing the game like that is shamefull. There were many games that were relised in past 5 years that roxed the brains out, but becouse of beggining gliches(that were allways fixed with a patch in 15 days after relise) were rated so sickly unprofesional. And there are a much other things that affect Gamespot reviews.

I hope this isnt advertasing, but remember the game GTA IV? IT WAZ SICK of GLICHES, half of THE WORLD didnt manage do INSTAL IT, and 5% played it, and it waz so f***ed up, but u know what, it got a solid 9 on theirs review. So figure it why. 

Money DOES IT ALL!(this is the truth, waz working for some company that did ratings for some parts for something, and money always talked...)

Thats why i like readin reviews in magazines, they are a less greedy...

I can bet that Kevin VanOrd(the guy that reviewed this) has his own copy of demigod and is playing it right now....

There is no more SOUL in the Game World.

And when the game With Soul happens to apear, u know what happens? it gets killed.....

April 15, 2009 10:08:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting abluecardigan,

sopiled kids....

April 15, 2009 10:11:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Blakeybastard,
tbh, this is the first game i have enjoyed, and played for longer than 2-3 hours in years.

Lifespan 10 (this really will be a classic)

I agree.  Never enjoyed a game this much.  Really intense, fun, and quick matches.  The huge issue is multiplayer.  Hope it gets solved soon.

April 15, 2009 10:15:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting STRUMFIC,

Quoting abluecardigan, reply 5The game is trash right now. 6.5 is generous.
sopiled kids....

Sorry I want what I paid for.

Oh, right, I forgot to insult you somewhere in my post.

April 15, 2009 10:20:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm still trying to figure out how rating a game, which should be on gameplay, art, design, level of fun, magically becomes a crappy game when you're having networking issues.

By that same logic, World of Warcraft magically became crap (my personal opinion is that it was since Wrath, but moving on) the moment servers were down yesterday and that millions rerated the game and gave it low scores and decided it was too crappy to play anymore, but then magically rerated and changed their minds when the server came back up.

In other words, you guys make my head hurt. Gah. The game is fun, the networking is annoying, but I haven't had this much fun in quite some time. The levels are lush and unique, the Demigods look amazing and are all fun to play, the game runs nice and smooth once you're actually in a game, and most important of all: it's an amazingly fun game to play. Easily an 8.5/10 in my opinion and that's because there are a few areas I felt a tad lacking in, but nothing that ruins the game. In a week or two once the networking issue is fixed, I won't have anything to really complain about.

I played about 4-5 games straight last night before bed and didn't even realize the time pass by. That's with the same demigod and the same level. It's just that same level of fun you get even though you're playing the same hero you always play in the only map as always in DoTA.

Of course it can do with some improvements, anything can really, but those are not issues rather than a path for updates/mods/expansions.

April 15, 2009 10:25:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting abluecardigan,

Quoting STRUMFIC, reply 7
Quoting abluecardigan, reply 5The game is trash right now. 6.5 is generous.
sopiled kids....

Sorry I want what I paid for.

Oh, right, I forgot to insult you somewhere in my post.

Sorry, that waz thinking out loud.

I acctualy payed 120euros for the game, and still waiting that original copy.....

U missed the point of my post, and You 'aint seeing and thinking out of the box. Everything will be fixed, and when it does(and i belive it will be in this week), game will be one of the best on market....

April 15, 2009 10:31:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cerulean_Shaman,
I'm still trying to figure out how rating a game, which should be on gameplay, art, design, level of fun, magically becomes a crappy game when you're having networking issues.

By that same logic, World of Warcraft magically became crap (my personal opinion is that it was since Wrath, but moving on) the moment servers were down yesterday and that millions rerated the game and gave it low scores and decided it was too crappy to play anymore, but then magically rerated and changed their minds when the server came back up.

In other words, you guys make my head hurt. Gah. The game is fun, the networking is annoying, but I haven't had this much fun in quite some time. The levels are lush and unique, the Demigods look amazing and are all fun to play, the game runs nice and smooth once you're actually in a game, and most important of all: it's an amazingly fun game to play. Easily an 8.5/10 in my opinion and that's because there are a few areas I felt a tad lacking in, but nothing that ruins the game. In a week or two once the networking issue is fixed, I won't have anything to really complain about.

I played about 4-5 games straight last night before bed and didn't even realize the time pass by. That's with the same demigod and the same level. It's just that same level of fun you get even though you're playing the same hero you always play in the only map as always in DoTA.

Of course it can do with some improvements, anything can really, but those are not issues rather than a path for updates/mods/expansions.

And this is Thinking and Fealing Right!

This game deserves some credits from Reviewing Sites. 

April 15, 2009 10:32:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Amazingly, Im amped on Demigod despite its major Multiplayer flaws (which i am disapointed over ). I love this type of game.. I love DotA.. Im really seeing alot of potential for Demigod right now.. I agree with above post saying how you can get lost for hours ect... That said, how do you review a game like this right when it comes out... their 6.5 seems like a fair score for the layman to refer to. The layman doesnt know any better than current online problems.. The layman who doesnt buy now due to that review will be the same guy who buys later when his HC buddies tell him what hes missing out on.. its all relative

April 15, 2009 10:35:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In a mp focussed game, getting the networking right is essential. It impacts on player experience. Gamespot are right IMO, to call stardock out on it.

HOWEVER,

they should revisit the game and revise the score if the mp problems are addressed, but I doubt that will happen (i.e. gamespot won't come back to it outside of the release window.. not enough clicks)

April 15, 2009 10:36:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Let me ask those who think we should get a 2 or whatever this:

The Gamespot review will live on forever. But the problems connecting in multiplayer will likely be gone in another few days. And, I should point out that a lot of the problems people are experiencing are due to having so many more users on day 1 than we had expected.

If we had, for instance, sent out review copies of Demigod say tomorrow, we would likely end up with a very different score.

So I ask you, do you really think that's a fair review?

April 15, 2009 10:41:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting abluecardigan,

Ye in way I guess you can say that.

The multiplayer isn't working for most and it is what will impact most of the Demigod reviews. The reviewer is not familiar with the style of this game so he was expecting some sort of tutorial which you personally can't blame him for.

April 15, 2009 10:43:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You make a great point. This review is not far for a problem than can be fixed in a few days. Reviews need to understand a game is an evolution over time.

Great response. I love your company. And yes, I bought Demigod.

April 15, 2009 10:43:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

The Gamespot review will live on forever. But the problems connecting in multiplayer will likely be gone in another few days. And, I should point out that a lot of the problems people are experiencing are due to having so many more users on day 1 than we had expected.

If we had, for instance, sent out review copies of Demigod say tomorrow, we would likely end up with a very different score.

No it's not, as I said, they should be shamed..., man destroying the integrety of one good game is realy pityfull. 

And what else could someone say bout that....i acctualy got baned now from gamespot, 'couse of my comment on the review...and thats how they rate freadom of speaking....

April 15, 2009 10:43:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's fair enough at the time of launch.. whether that really reflects the longer term true value in the game is the age old problem of 'how-to-review games' that game journalists and companies are still struggling with.

But given that you know that release window reviewing is how the system works currently, getting the networking right at launch becomes critical in a mp focused game... if you want good scores. No point complaining. Perhaps you could formally request gamespot re-look at Demigod in a week's time?

edit: I bought the game too btw, but I am waiting until things settle down before playing. I don't want to be irritated when I first try and play online

April 15, 2009 10:50:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks like this will bring down the total metacritic score.   sad news 

April 15, 2009 10:56:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A game reviewers job is not to predict the future.  Their job is to give an accurate review of the version of a game that they receive as a review copy.  In this sense, I find the Gamespot review to be pretty fair.  I would honestly rate it a bit lower based on my current personal experience with the game (at least this reviewer got it to run).  I haven't played a game that needed patching this badly at launch since Daggerfall.

April 15, 2009 10:58:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's a shame but I will say the review is fair. The game's multiplater aspect is really botched now. Let's put it this way, if someone who have not heard of Demigod get the game today, will he/she be satisified with the game content? The game is geared towards multiplayer because there's no campaigne in Single player. There's nothing to distract players from multiplayer.

Secondly, it is completely understandable about server being overload and some issues. However, the thing that irks me is the lack of interaction from the game interface. Most of the time the screen doesnt explain what's the cause of delay. Customers dont appreciate blank, freeze, connection info where nobody understand what that is. Somehow I feel that this game is better if they stated target audience "Advance computer literate/Experienced Gamers ONLY"

Game devs, let me ask you a question. Ever thought of letting someone without any prior knowledge of Demigod to play the game for a QA run?

April 15, 2009 11:00:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

You are absolutely right.

Is there any reviewer who updates his/her scores as games evolve? Some games change pretty drastically... like company of heroes, or Sins of a solar empire. Because frankly, and this is by no means aimed at any game in particular, I am getting tired of games that aren't finished when they're sold.

So it would work both ways by making sure developers get their accurate scores, and help consumers (avoid/find) games that don't have those scores.

April 15, 2009 11:07:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting tuxdj,
It's a shame but I will say the review is fair. The game's multiplater aspect is really
Game devs, let me ask you a question. Ever thought of letting someone without any prior knowledge of Demigod to play the game for a QA run?

Truthfully the game issues were not as striking in the beta.  Server overload and people unable to connect are wrecking havok.  Truly something Stardock needs to address ASAP and it appears they are trying to.  Fingers crossed that they suceed.

April 15, 2009 11:08:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SuperMudkipz,
6.5 for a multiplayer game that 90% of the people can't play multiplayer on? you are right sounds way too generous, but then again gamespot is always off

Considering what you posted in reply 15 of the "Game game, but multiplayer is paying beta" thread, you have no right to complain about any problems in Demigod.

In case you forgot:

You just have to give up.  Basically a similar thing happened with Hellgate and the game died before they could fix it.  The developers either don't care or can't figure it out. Then release the game unfinished and the damage is done.  It will probably never get fixed at this point and even if it is, what was supposed to be their best efforts and "completed product" didn't even fuction, was unusuable, and drove away too many customers to recover.  I was planning on getting this game on release day, downloaded the pirate a couple days early to get heads up on people on release.  After seeing how the online portion of the game isn't even functioning (which they have obviously been aware of for some time now) and the AI offline is too retarded to play with, I have convinced 4 of my friends to not get this game and I'm sure I will never buy it.  I consider myself very lucky the pirate got leaked before I bought bought this game based on what it was "supposed" to be.  I just want to make sure the developers realize how bad they screwed up because they p****ed me off making me expect a great game and pushing out a half-assed product.  I will definitely be weary of anything else this team may push out in the future because there is no way they can say these problems are not entirely their fault when the beta community has made them aware of the issues months ago.

Just to make it 100% clear, pirates have NO right to complain about any problems with a game. If you want to complain about a game on its own forum, try BUYING it first.  Legitimate customers have the right to complain and the right to be listened to.  You, on the other hand, have the right to be banned.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000718   Page Render Time: