The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Gamma Status Report

By on March 29, 2009 3:45:01 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

This week Demigod goes into private Gamma testing.  It’ll be in Gamma for about a week (and no more than a week and a half in order to make the April 14th street date).

So what are the changes you can expect from the beta to final?  We’ll know a lot more this week but here are some general things that are on our mind:

1. Lots and lots of balance tweaks based on feedback. See https://forums.demigodthegame.com/342558 to get a sampling.

2. Implementation of Multiplayer Skirmish.  That’s where you choose a Demigod and press fight and the match making finds someone for you to play with.

3. Impulse Reactor Overlay. The ability to send messages to friends, chat, user score, etc.

4. Impulse Reactor NAT. This is the infamous connectivity stuff. Unlike most games, Demigod is pure peer-to-peer in order to reduce in-game latency. The challenge, however is that EVERYONE has to be able to send and receive UDP packets (in most games, only the host needs to do that).  This past week, the lead developer of RAKNet was at Stardock to help in this area.  We expect to have a new beta of Demigod this week with some of these changes in.
  5. Impulse Integration.  We’re going to try to put as much useful information into Impulse for finding and getting games going as possible. So data like disconnects, rank, etc. will start to be displayed. You’ll be able to pick a game, click launch and be inserted
    into that game.  This is an area we plan to expand on after release as well.

Impulse Reactor: Phase 3 internal beta

+912 Karma | 37 Replies
March 29, 2009 3:53:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sweet, thx for the update!

March 29, 2009 3:59:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome!

And a quick reminder of suggested fixes for day 0

March 29, 2009 4:23:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And as a reminder: No matter what changes we do, no one will ever be fully satisfied with balance...

March 29, 2009 4:46:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lol, never thought I'd see the day a Publisher's CEO would be invoking Godwins Law on his own forums!

March 29, 2009 4:53:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great video!

March 29, 2009 9:07:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Whenever I play the game I still find Generals too unerpowered. Is it just my strategy?

March 29, 2009 9:30:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I suspect everybody and his dog eventually purchases Ashkandor`s Sword. When they do that - boom... there goes the scale in their favour (10% chance of 4x damage per hit is amazing). Assassins usually have a speedier path to it than Generals with their Minion expenses.

March 29, 2009 9:32:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would like to proclaim that no matter what changes are made, I am always satisfied with the balance ^.^

March 29, 2009 9:38:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Every time I see that video it has different subs. This one was funny though

March 29, 2009 9:41:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
And as a reminder: No matter what changes we do, no one will ever be fully satisfied with balance...

That video was HILARIOUS! never seen it before! Pure WONDER!

March 29, 2009 9:55:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Even as I comment here, there are multiple active threads I'm seeing on the Demigod forums proclaiming that we need to postpone Demigod for "months".  Because it's buggy? No.  Because it's incompatible or too slow? No.  But because it needs more time for unspecified "balance" changes.  Because, as you know, there is only ONE correct way to balance.

March 29, 2009 10:31:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SH0DAN,
I would like to proclaim that no matter what changes are made, I am always satisfied with the balance ^.^

LoL

March 29, 2009 11:08:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Whenever I play the game I still find Generals too unerpowered. Is it just my strategy?

Yes.  Oak is probably one of the strongest team demigods and in the hands of a strong player he can easily bring in a win that an extra assassin on that team couldn't have.  In groups where teamwork isn't happening then assassins are definately better though.

Sedna I would say is the second strongest team-oriented Demigod and Queen is very good at pushing towers early with Uproot (though some argue this isn't worth it, at release towers are worth 800g to the whole team).

March 29, 2009 11:19:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I suspect everybody and his dog eventually purchases Ashkandor`s Sword.
Actually, I never get artifact items anymore.  Generally, the gold to bonus ratio is much higher on regular items and by the time slots become the primary limiting factor I'm at War Rank 8 which means all my gold is going to giants and then to upgrading them.  In a very small handful of games I'll eventually get artifact gear but only after the citadel is almost fully upgraded and even then, I usually go with the girdle (for cleave) and armor (so I can tank hordes of creeps longer).

Basically, early-game is about surviving, leveling and making gold.  Mid-game is about killing demi-gods and end-game is about pushing the citadel.  The stuff at the artifact shop is end-game gear and at that point killing demigods isn't the primary objective anymore, pushing their citadel with giants is so I don't focus on gear that helps me kill Demigods.

March 30, 2009 4:03:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Even as I comment here, there are multiple active threads I'm seeing on the Demigod forums proclaiming that we need to postpone Demigod for "months".  Because it's buggy? No.  Because it's incompatible or too slow? No.  But because it needs more time for unspecified "balance" changes.  Because, as you know, there is only ONE correct way to balance.

Atleast you aren't serving the WoW community like blizzard when it comes to balancing, yes sometimes developers do put out some really retarded changes nobody wants. When I was playing I even took part in some forum protests getting banned for commenting on nerfs, a spam thread of ascii fingers to blizzard for a retarded nerf etc. At least our messages got across even tho they don't accept petitions, can't stand against 20+ pages of ascii fingers I guess. Hopefully it won't come to that here =P

March 30, 2009 5:59:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Well to be fair the game would make use of two or three more months of development but then, what game wouldn't. I retain my idea that Demigod will be a solid game experience at release, but will be awesome at the release of DLC#2 and beyond.

March 30, 2009 6:48:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well if someone can find me a game that was/is very well balanced on release I'll uninstall windows xp and reinstall windows 98

March 30, 2009 9:01:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="[AC]DalzK" reply="17" id="2118793"]Well if someone can find me a game that was/is very well balanced on release I'll uninstall windows xp and reinstall windows 98 [/quote]

FPS games in deathmatch mode, tends to be balanced since everyone has equal things =P

March 30, 2009 9:19:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="[AC]DalzK" reply="17" id="2118793"]Well if someone can find me a game that was/is very well balanced on release I'll uninstall windows xp and reinstall windows 98
[/quote]

Solitaire 

March 30, 2009 12:39:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ACDalzK,
Quoting ACDalzK,
Well if someone can find me a game that was/is very well balanced on release I'll uninstall windows xp and reinstall windows 98

Solitaire 

LOL

March 30, 2009 12:45:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First of all before i uninstally XP, I meant a RTS/Strategy game

Secondly, Solitaire is so imba, so much luck involved it annoys me...they shud release patch for it imo.

March 30, 2009 12:53:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Minesweeper?

March 30, 2009 1:29:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The flags are imba.

March 30, 2009 2:09:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I heard flags get nerfed in next patch

March 30, 2009 2:28:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Y'know, I bet someone (ie. someone less lazy than me ) could find one of those old, seriously bad RTSs, where the "different" sides were just the same units with a marginally different skin/model. How's that for balance?

(Oh, and don't ask me for names of those old games, or remind me that there are still third rate studios bashing them out right now.  I'm trying hard to repress those memories.)

Oh! here's one! "Z", I think it was called. 2 sides, identical units, but one was painted red, the other blue.

(AAAAAGHHHH! You made me remember!) 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.