The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Suggestion] Minion abilities

Making minions better and more interesting

By on March 5, 2009 2:10:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In my previous post I was talking about how the minions in the current build are next to useless and I made the suggestion that perhaps they can be improved with some passive or auto-cast abilities. I'd like to expand on this concept a little bit more as I think that this idea has merit and others seem to like it.

The idea to give minions abilities is not simply something that will make them more useful but also something that will greatly increase the variety and tactics that the generals can offer. I've been thinking that perhaps the best way to add such abilities would be in a way that woud allow a player to choose between them. Instead of simply having more expensive minion = better, we could have them with a selection of skills that the generals could pick and choose from according to his opponent's tactics.

The idea I have then is to have all minions of the same type at similar stats but each one would have a different ability. The cost should vary depending on how good overall each ability is, but ultimately it should not quadruple from the lowest to the highest minion.

To give you an example, lets see how the minotaur minion selection would be

• Berserker:
    • Ability: Berserk: When General dies, minion stays alive until the DG respawns and receives +100% Attack speed,  Damage and Movement speed.
    • Cost: 500
    • High Damage, Low Defense, Medium HP
  • Elite Guard
    • Ability: Block: Enemy DGs either can't bypass the minion to reach the General or alternatively their speed is reduced by 50% when passing over the minion
    • Cost 700
    • Low Damage, High Defense, Medium HP
  • Marauder:
    • Ability: Charge: When target (minion or DG) is not in melee range, the marauder can activate this ability and receive +100% movement speed for reaching the target. If he gets into melee, the target is stunned for 1 sec. (This should help Generals who would like to try to kill opposing DGs)
    • Cost 800
    • High Damage, Medium Defense, Low HP
  • Martyr
    • Ability: Sacrifice: Minotaur receives 10% of all the damage dealt to the DG (so 20% for two of them alive)
    • Cost 1200
    • Low Damage, Low Defense, High HP

As you can see, this would give the General choices on which minion to take depending on if they want offense, defense or whatever. All Minotauts focus on some way protecting or assisting the DG directly. So this can be the concept for all minotaur minions (even ones that may be conceived in the future). Also, having a low enough cost even at the "best" level allows the General to buy one without suffering adverse consequences of spending so much money.

Now Generals can select a Minotaur minion who can fit their tactic or can assist them against opponent tactics. Do you have for example an opposing UCB who simply goes for the general, ignoring everything else? Then Elite Guards to stop him in his tracks might help. Do you have a Regulus who likes to snipe you from afar? Then some Martyrs can keep you going etc.

In a similar vain, here are my ideas for Archers and Priests. I will only list abilities for now as cost and stats can be provided by playtesting.

Archers

• Siege Archer
    • Ability: Explosive Bolts: High Damage to buildings
  • Incinerator
    • Ability: Flaming Arrows: Target starts burning, suffering X damage for Y secnods
  • Freezer
    • Ability: Freezing Arrows: Target's attack speed and movement are reduced by 5%
  • Savage
    • Ability: Serated Arrows: High Damage to minions and creeps

So the archers are basically about passive abilties and you choose them depending on your purposes. Against Assasins you might go for Freezers for example, while against Generals you might want to take Savages.

Clerics

• Priest
    • Ability: Heal: As is now, an auto-casting healing.
  • Cleric
    • Ability: Bless: Auto-cast skill which gives friendly minions and creeps +25% attack and movement speed
  • Warlock
    • Ability: Curse: Auto-cast skill which gives enemy minions and creeps -25% armor and damage
  • High Priest
    • Ability: Ressurect: Auto-cast skill which raises dead minions and creeps from the dead

So the Clerics generally focus on auto-casting items. As such they would benefit from abilities such as mana regeneration auras, reduced skill countdown bonuses (such as the citadel's) etc.

So whatdayathink? There's hopefully enough time to implement something like this before DG goes live or for the first patch

+7 Karma | 7 Replies
March 5, 2009 5:06:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great idea, it'd help balance out generals and make the choice in units a lot funner and more tactical.

March 5, 2009 6:24:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

that is a great idea, i like the tought you have put into this post, im not sure the elite guards 2 alternatives would work too good tho, maybe have a large slowing aura on them or maybe a hamstring move. because enemy DGs will just run around them if they see them, or just pound them fast to get to the general.

March 6, 2009 6:05:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is a great idea minions definatley need reworking and I don't think they should just have increased damage or health so giving them some abilities that aid the player sounds like a good choice to me.

Also the cost needs to be reduced at the moment it is just too much I think it needs to be cut in half to balance it with other items...

March 6, 2009 6:45:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds really great.

Too bad, that this will be only possible with code change, which won´t be happen anymore until release.

March 6, 2009 7:18:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nice idea, having this will add to the barely existant RTS elements that should have been in the game. Unfortunately great idea's like these will be implemented months after release, if ever at all.

March 7, 2009 9:54:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great idea.  Love it and would love to see something like it implemented.

Quoting Nokthra,

Too bad, that this will be only possible with code change, which won´t be happen anymore until release.

If Brad thought this was worth it, it would not be undo-able at this point.  This is less code and more stats than you realize.

March 7, 2009 10:19:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
Great idea.  Love it and would love to see something like it implemented.

Quoting Nokthra, reply 4
If Brad thought this was worth it, it would not be undo-able at this point.  This is less code and more stats than you realize.

Maybe. Still, stat changes still requires code to be changed, and depending on how they code it it may not be easy. Also, something like this would most likey happen after the game ships, as right now I'd say they want this thing prepped and out the door. If all they used for damage and cost was variables, instead of hard-coding it, it may be easy. If they hard-coded it then it can be a real bitch to dig through the code and change it.

Like your idea though!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.