The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Website] Karma no work-ey, equals HUGE problem since it determines closed gamma participants

By on February 28, 2009 11:53:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Trigeminal

Join Date 07/2008
+89

Hey, I know some of the devs are aware that karma doesn't currently work, but it would be great if this could be fixed asap.  There are a number of great new community members that recently joined at the end of beta 2/beginning of beta 3 that really deserve karma for great ideas, bug posts, and strategy/tutorial posts.  I think this is important since brad originally planned to recruit only high karma (20+) players to the closed invite only gamma.  With karma down for a month now, only a few people qualify.  There are many more who deserve to be in for the quality of their posts and thoughts.

Locked Post 13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 28, 2009 12:01:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Still 0 karma here. I figure people just don't like me that much.

February 28, 2009 12:08:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Karma = Gamma testers?

Thought they would choose the most helpful/experience/useful beta testers for the gamma phase.

And yea ive wanted to +Karma lots of times, but it doesnt work

February 28, 2009 12:13:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="[AC]DalzK" reply="2" id="2080240"]Karma = Gamma testers?

Thought they would choose the most helpful/experience/useful beta testers for the gamma phase.

[/quote]

Well, I think they thought the most helpful posters would get the most karma.  Would actually be a great system, voted in by peers, if only karma worked.

February 28, 2009 12:23:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

With that being said, what are the new requirements going to be? Or just a very exclusive gamma?

February 28, 2009 12:45:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
No clue, maybe frogboy will join in with some info.
February 28, 2009 1:19:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*Cue for Frogboy to join in with some info*

February 28, 2009 1:24:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm just guessing but I bet they will look at karma to get a rough idea of who should be in the gamma, but won't rely on it to make the actual decisions.  Frogboy and some of the other devs seem to browse the forums and hang out in chat pretty often, so they probably know who the useful users are.  At the same time, anyone who has lots of karma but isn't necessarily "right" for gamma testing wouldn't get into the gamma just because of their karma.

Still, fixing karma would be a good idea .

February 28, 2009 2:22:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its pretty close to release though, I mean its not like we'd be missing a whole lot.    I try to give karma everytime I see somebody be helpful, but I think many people forget to do it.

I don't even spend much time on this forum, but I know everybody I see above me in this thread has been pretty involved.   I personally would set the cut-off to be lower, like 10.   Once you have 10 karma (provided its not all from the off-topic areas) you probebly deserve to be in.   I know I haven't done much with demigod (just on the fly comments), so I'm not crying if I don't get involved.

(maybe its done intentionally to prevent spamming of karma to people who DON'T deserve it? )

February 28, 2009 3:31:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's quanitifiable and all, but it's not really viable due to the bug. And some useful testers simply don't get karma from people.

March 1, 2009 12:29:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm fine with no +Rep (karma) being working at the moment.

The developers should notice and decide which participants to include in their final testing phase.  It should not be based on the opinion of individual posters giving each other karma points.  The quality of a test can't really be quantified; plus, as others have said, most posters forget to give karma points to good posters anyway.

March 1, 2009 6:14:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The quality of a test can't really be quantified; plus, as others have said, most posters forget to give karma points to good posters anyway.

Its true!   and usually what gets the karma are things like 'you made a funny' or 'that is a nice wall of text [that I only half read]'

I was very sad at one point because I put a bunch of effort into drawing some what I considered to be quality fan art, and nobody gave any karma.   But then I had to remind myself that people don't think about what actually took time and effort vs. random trolling.

(edit):   Hey, I can add karma!   I'm using IE6 (at work) with I guess flash 9 and when I click to add karma, nothing happens.  However with the powers of the tab key I can find the karma box (where you can pick +1 karma or... well, thats the only option)  then I press tab once, and I can type in a text box I can't see.   Then tab one more time and <enter>  and it processes.  BOOM!  karma is delivered

March 1, 2009 6:20:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Cake is a Lie, uh,

The Closed Gamma is a lie !

March 1, 2009 11:37:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sevenix,
The Cake is a Lie, uh,

The Closed Gamma is a lie !

Well you won't be in the gamma anyway because you murdered your best friend.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000110   Page Render Time: