The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Not seeing much hope for single-player.

By on February 24, 2009 9:56:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Stardock's games have always had a strong single-player element.  True of Galciv, not so true of Sins.  A very nice thing to find.  As much as the multiplayer aspect is good and all, I'm not seeing that the single-player will hold up well at all.  Looking at all the heroes, looking at what's possible, looking at the massive focus even in the hype concerning primarily multiplayer play...

Seems to me it's going to suck other than for Internet play.

0 Karma | 28 Replies
February 24, 2009 10:44:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please stop posting.  Thanks.

February 24, 2009 10:44:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would wait until you get to play the single player before you judge it. It will most likely be like the online pantheon except with a story behind it. and maybe some cutscenes.

February 24, 2009 10:49:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First, please bear in mind that neither Sins nor Demigod is a Stardock game, Demigod is a Gas Powered Games product, with Stardock publishing and assisting in many aspects.

That being said, Demigod is clearly a multiplayer focused title.  Originally, there wasn't even going to be a single player component until Stardock became involved.  So no, I wouldn't expect the single player to be mindblowing but I'd hardly say it's going to suck - it's just not where the focus of the title is.

February 24, 2009 12:20:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Who the **** would play AoS maps in wc3 in Singleplayer....

We dont even need a singleplayer Humans are always the more netertaining enemys aswell as allys because they can "think" most of them atleast could do it

Where´s the fun in totally won an A.I

Good example (both have fun)

A:Gotya guy

B:orsum anyway it was close ^^

A:indeed but I won

Bad example (1 person have fun)

A:Muahahahah I owned you n4p

B:cmon...

A:yea whatever n4p

B:dont be such an ........

A:N4p

Oh yeah you can actually talk to the human players and they´re responding like humans (respongon means they thinkl on their own by their paralel thinking etc...[This is for the great A.I lover and Turring-tes guys1^^])

February 24, 2009 12:22:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It certainly is a Multiplayer focused title so i wouldn't be surprised if singleplayer will be kind of an afterthought. Kinda like in the Unreal Tournament titles. Nothing wrong with that...  just don't get your expectations up for a "superduper" singleplayer campaign when it's pretty obvious that the game is going into a different direction.

In Supreme Commander (Gaspowered last game) singleplayer was pretty much just an "extended tutorial" with little point and story as well. Didn't hurt how much fun i had with the game one bit.

February 24, 2009 1:13:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Maybe.  It's still a hope, though. 

I pre-ordered based on the strength of the Stardock name and their previous performance(Yes, you say it's another person's baby, but they've put their name all over it).  So in a very real sense I'm stuck with it, since they've taken the money, and I get to help playtest a game that doesn't actually interest me with what I've seen of it.  Didn't enjoy DOTA when I played that, win or lose.  Hoped for something more, because it's Stardock.  They're good at doing things differently, they're good at 'fun', they're good at interesting.

I don't quite feel gypped, because it is testing.  But it's damm close, because this is the last stage of that testing; this is pretty much what I've purchased; and where's the interest?  Where's the fun?

There's potential for a strong single-player; between the nature of the heroes of the sides and the various summoning items, you could track the road to glory of Light or Dark forces, follow the stories of the heroes before they're snatched up by this 'elder council'(possibly during, as well), and the last few missions being the mass free-for-alls we've seen and played today to finally become a full God.  Something like that, at least.  There is potential, and it'd be a shame to see it wasted.  Again, all I can do is wait and hope.

No Multiplayer mode has ever kept me playing or been a concern for my purchasing; a side effect of being on dial-up for so long, I guess.  And these days, few single-player modes are interesting enough anymore; they're seen as pointless, thrown together, an afterthought.  It's sad.

February 24, 2009 1:39:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Bloodlyshiva,
Maybe.  It's still a hope, though. 

I pre-ordered based on the strength of the Stardock name and their previous performance(Yes, you say it's another person's baby, but they've put their name all over it).  So in a very real sense I'm stuck with it, since they've taken the money, and I get to help playtest a game that doesn't actually interest me with what I've seen of it.  Didn't enjoy DOTA when I played that, win or lose.  Hoped for something more, because it's Stardock.  They're good at doing things differently, they're good at 'fun', they're good at interesting.

.... and as long as it isn't singleplayer it isn't interesting ?

Blaming "Stardock" ... for publishing a multiplayer game because YOU expect them to make only single player focused games certainly sounds a bit wierd. Add to that ... , that the game is not even developped by Stardock (only published), but by Gas Powered Games, and you certainly hit the jackpot for illogical arguments. And if that wasn't enough then Stardock's latest major titel was Sins of a Solar Empire... which had no singleplayer except skirmishes vs. AI... so ... yeah... /BOGGLE. No sense you make young padawan. /sigh.

In any case... it's GPGs track record, not Stardock's, that you should be looking at and wether a game focuses on multiplayer or singleplayer is a basic design decision that has little to do with the games overall quality or the companies reputation anyways.

Blaming yourself for not sufficiently researching what you buy is sadly all you can do. You don't really expect development to make a 180° turn just for you now, do you ? Why should they transfer ressources from multiplayer to singleplayer development and neglect the majority of the current fanbase who bought this thing well knowing it would be a multiplayer focused title? Riddle me that.

February 24, 2009 1:53:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I enjoy the single player game experience.

It's similar to what is in Sins of a Solar Empire except it also has a tournament mode where you play against the AI.

February 24, 2009 2:14:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Where'd you get 'I blame Stardock' from this?  If anything, I blame myself.  I looked it up, heard nice things from those places(Gas Powered wasn't mentioned), thought about it(I OWN Supreme Commander, bought it based on things I'd heard and read, tried to like it, disliked it.  Another bad purchase.  Gotta wonder why it was talked up.), then thought; "It might be OK, even if the multiplayer doesn't appeal.  At least I can try it and find out."

Single-player's locked, recent efforts to join multiplayer games that are not self-created and vs non-AI have all ended in failure(The game does NOT like multi-tasking, and it seems to random-crash when I do so-can't explain why as I can't even see the FATAL ERROR; then there's the fact that cancelling a join attempt to a passworded game gets you trapped in a Join screen.  I said CANCEL, NOT JOIN!), and the game itself feels dull, same as DOTA, which there have been comparisms to. 

I can like what they've done here, and I do-for what it is.  Make no mistake.  It looks like a decent time-waster for the multiplayer-lover(Though I fear the hell a team of Rooks would inflict-they could push a lane, rip up a tower or two from the very start, all by themselves, and there wouldn't be a thing you could do to stop it, given the heal mechanic.  It'd just go on and on from there.  High risk, certainly.  But big rewards to pushing that hard on a reinforcement route).  Of course, I'm not a multiplayer-lover, so...maybe I'll learn to love it, someday.

I guess this is all a big 'buyer's remorse' thing.

But regardless, there needs to be something....more to this.  Maybe 'world events' or something;  Towers being rebuilt...or sabotaged.  A sudden or buyable rally(Attack, defence boost) for a side.  Things to really shake things up as time goes on, or allow a losing team to rally, or a winning team to ensure victory.  Since we've no idea what's in the fututre, we don't know if such is planned, so all that can be done is throw it out there. 

And why do the general's totem soldiers(and even the general's unique soldiers) have no abilities?  If the generals are supposed to be RTS, then the troops need to provide more than just meat/damage-we can provide plenty of that ourselves, and can upgrade far more than them.  Oak's on the right track-his allies supply him attack power, and he heals them for killing; there's a synergy there.  None of the others really help-it's just more meat for the grinder.

I hope there are more choices in terms of troops at some point.

It's similar to what is in Sins of a Solar Empire except it also has a tournament mode where you play against the AI.

That's interesting, because I liked Sins quite a bit.

February 24, 2009 2:25:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We just need some tougher AI and single player will be fun.  Even if it is just tournaments and custom games.

February 24, 2009 2:42:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I enjoy SoSE SP...in fact, I rarely play the MP anymore...

That said, it should have been pretty obvious if you researched the product at all that this game was going to be very, very heavily MP focused.  I really don't have much sympathy for your "situation"...

February 25, 2009 3:11:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm with you Frogboy.  At home I'm on Satellite internet....so I play single play exclusively.  I've enjoyed that as must, if not more than the multi-play games I've run from on the laptop at, erm, work. 

February 25, 2009 4:59:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In Demigod, you can boss around the AI players on your team in single player which is nice.  You just ping the map and the AI players will tend to come help you.

February 25, 2009 7:02:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now THAT, Frogboy, will be cool.

Single player, I think, is a strongly needed function of any game, for those who have no interenet connection, a laptop away from a network, etc. Because of single player, it will appeal to 30% more public, thus giving devs more money, thus helping the game dramatically in future development.

I am curious as to how Single-player will work, though. Such as tournament mode, like the old Mortal Combat or some such, or duelling mode, (which would be interesting in MP, too) or a conquering thing, like an old RTS. You know, able to mine the gold with flags, then build up your fortress while trying to kill others? That would be fun.

February 26, 2009 9:04:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lolz I would always concentrate at the MP because most of the ppl who are going to play the game are going for MP and why should somebody make a good SP game to get it cracked , best example is Titan Quest , Iron Lore dont have enough money anymore to make games .

I know much games with only SP can be very entertaining I.e FF or similiar things.But FF isnt for PC because of product piracy.

I just found another example GTA 4 should be much more profit-yielding for Rockstar Games , but some ppl said mhhm the game has to much security that sucks (they implented the whole security because of the piracy guys) ,and get the game cracked so Rockstar could learn somehting very important on´t release games on PC(well they still do but lets see if the next GTA is going to be illegaly owned in the same masses)

Thats why I only care for SP for console games .

February 26, 2009 9:15:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Singleplayer is an important feature to me. Multi is nice, but a good campaign within Demigod trappings is something I am definitely looking forward to. A lack of that would hurt the product for sure.

February 26, 2009 12:42:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Consumers and developer's should know by now, a game will get pirated for no reasons, and it will not stop. It's been proven (Spore not included) that the average piracy rate for a game is in the 20% range. For games that include Steam or Impulse, only around 10%. If you crunch numbers, that's more than enough.

Single-player is still fun, PC or not, and if you don't play PC-single player because of piracy... Well, you're strange.

Bring on the SP!

February 26, 2009 2:51:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I can only speak for myself, but I can truthfully say....I'd never buy a game that was multi-play only.  If I can't fire up a single play match against an AI, I don't want to play it at all.  Not that I don't like multi-play...but I seldom do it and I'd never want to spend muney on a product that I'd seldom use. 

February 26, 2009 2:52:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"As to your question regarding story cut scenes, each Demigod has a unique FMV
for when they ascend to the Pantheon."

February 26, 2009 6:09:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
In Demigod, you can boss around the AI players on your team in single player which is nice.  You just ping the map and the AI players will tend to come help you.

This would be nice in MP too. Not everyone will be using voice chat and typing mid-battle can be a pain.

February 26, 2009 9:30:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Or at least a little auto-ping when there's a certain amount of damage being taken, too many enemies, or when there is more than one demi-god in the area. That way, your allies can note: AAAAH RUN AWAY, or YAAAY EXP

February 26, 2009 10:20:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think most people know I prefer single player to multiplayer.  I like Demigod's single player game.  But I also like Sins of a Solar Empire's single player.  They're about on par IMO.

Demigod has the single player tournament which is cool. Sins has random maps.

February 26, 2009 10:43:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dream come true.

February 26, 2009 10:58:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is such a majority of gamers who play only single player and are afraid of the jump to multiplayer. So I'm all for any game wanting people to go online!!! Probably not as much of a problem for this genre or FPS's but RTS would be much better if people weren't so terrified of coming online. There is a skill jump but it really isn't that hard to play UMS/Custom (too much B.net makes me call it UMS) games for a bit or play with friends

February 27, 2009 5:11:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is such a majority of gamers who play only single player and are afraid of the jump to multiplayer.

We're not afraid of MP, we just don't care for it. The adolescent behavior alone is reason to avoid most MP centric games. I'm fine with the trashtalk; what bothers me more than anything else are the disconnects. I can put considerable time and effort into a game, and just when the tide turns in my favor, my opponent quits. This is especially true in any game with any sort of ranking system.

You mention a "skill jump". This is not a jump in skill, so much as technique. In any game, if you choose a certain character, and research a particular skillset, and equip your character with certain items, and play in such a way, you can win. This isn't learning a skillset, this is following a recipe. Boring. Many thousands of players have spent many thousands of hours playing this game in order to figure these things out. 

Figure it out for yourself. Fly by the seat of your pants. You may not win, but I can pretty much guarentee that you will have more fun.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.