The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What do Developers Eat?

By on February 11, 2009 1:14:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ever wonder what fuels the developers at Ironclad?
I'll start with a typical day and see what fools will follow...

Breakfast: Banana, Multigrain Bagel and Cream Cheese OR Cereal & Berries
Lunch:  Sandwich with Krakowska Sausage, Edam cheese, Spinach, Mayo, Onion Mustard and Tomato. Green Giant Garlic Pasta Broccoli Carrot Mix. Hazelnut & dark chocolate bar
Take Out: Gyro, Greek Salad, and a donut.
Supper:  Fast and dirty - Annies cheese pasta reinforced with peppers or spinach and onions. Taking my time - Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken), Indian, Stir-fry or experimental.
Snacks: Kettle Chips, French Vanilla Ice Cream and Berries, Fruit Smoothy
All-Nighters: Pizza, Indian Curries, Reese Peanut Butter Cups, Red Bull. 7-11

+50 Karma | 48 Replies
February 11, 2009 3:04:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've never even heard of four of those things.

It all sounds pretty healthy though. Where's the four major food groups though? Where's the fat, starch, sugar, and Burnt Brown Crunchy Bits?

February 11, 2009 6:46:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And you call yourselves developers....

WHERE IS THE QUICHE???

At least you have pizza and red bull.

I'm not seeing any 3am Maccas run here either!!!

February 11, 2009 6:54:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Take Out: Gyro, Greek Salad

I fully approve. Gyros are awesome!

Annies cheese pasta reinforced with peppers or spinach and onions.

Aww, you guys named pasta after me?

Indian, Stir-fry

Also my full approval - I love Indian! Nice and spicy chicken tikka masala ftw.

February 11, 2009 7:25:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What is a Gyro? Do you mean gyros maybe? If yes, I approve.

And I didn't know Ethiopians have a dish. At all.

February 11, 2009 8:08:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
February 11, 2009 8:37:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
http://media.commercialappeal.com/mca/content/img/photos/2008/03/20/21gyros.jpeg

Gyro It's like a Greek roll-up/sandwich thing..

not bad. reminds me of dürüm which we have here (basically kebab in such a roll)

funny dev diary, hilarious. good to include some healthy stuff, the nasty in-betweens probably make the unhealthy quote all by themselves.

February 11, 2009 9:36:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We call it gyros, and for a moment there I thought Craig ate gyrostabilizers
Basically, gyros is a derivative of the turkish kebab, with a slightly different selection of meat and spices.

But I believe in a varied diet. Don't think I could eat the same thing more than three times in a tenday, you have to spice it up. Eating the same thing every day would probably bum me out completely, I don't know how you guys do it.

February 11, 2009 9:47:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It might be a translation/language quirk, since typically -s denotes plural form so "gyro" would be one yummy Greek sammich and "gyros" would be multiples But the proper name is actually "gyros" for a single?

February 11, 2009 9:53:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting The_Regicide,
We call it gyros, and for a moment there I thought Craig ate gyrostabilizers
Basically, gyros is a derivative of the turkish kebab, with a slightly different selection of meat and spices.

But I believe in a varied diet. Don't think I could eat the same thing more than three times in a tenday, you have to spice it up. Eating the same thing every day would probably bum me out completely, I don't know how you guys do it.

yeah, thought so. there are quite a few similarities between the two countries, though they'd of course never admit it.

amen to varied diet, I also wouldn't be able to stand the same food all the time. though sometimes I find myself in trouble finding another cereal. I have about 3 or 4 I like for breakfest, but rotating them through does get a bit boring sometimes.

February 11, 2009 9:56:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And I didn't know Ethiopians have a dish. At all.

The funny thing is, you're right.  Usually you just use your hands and eat the raw meat/vegatable mix from the serving "platter".

February 11, 2009 9:58:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As far as varied diets go, all Craig needs in there is a good Unagi roll. And some Nabe udon.

February 11, 2009 10:36:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The -s for plural is only in English and in a few other languages. I do think the proper name is gyros, but Greek has some kind of context-sensitive quirk of dropping the last letter when the object is in the presence or something like that.

Anyway, a single piece of bread with meat is gyros, but I think the proper plural is gyra. Then again, I mightbe wrong. It's been known to happen.

February 11, 2009 10:43:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks. Learn something new every day!

February 11, 2009 11:03:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A day that passes without learning anything is a day misspent, that's what I say

February 11, 2009 2:05:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thats my breakfast.

February 11, 2009 3:43:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting -Ue_Carbon,

Thats my breakfast.

lol

February 11, 2009 3:50:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I guess poutine isn't big in that area of Canada then, eh? I hear it's big in quebec

February 11, 2009 3:58:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh, Red Bull... ugh... I have somewhat... traumatic experiences with it.

The year is 2007. The annual Music & Multimedia Fair is home to the PC PLAY Arena among other things. That's ~30 gaming PCs and ~10 consoles. You can imagine the amount of children people around.
So there we are, in the middle of the fair complex and the nearest bathroom and source of fresh water is about 600 meters away. Red Bull was a major sponsor of some of the events, including ours, so that means free Red Bull for everyone. When you're thirsty, you can go take a hike to the toilet or you could open up the fridge chock full of Red Bull and take a cold one. These were sometimes given to some of the good players as an incentive, but it was mostly just for us employees. Since the fair is open 12 hours a day, and one is thirsty a lot, we averaged at about 10 Red Bulls per head per day. For the full eight days of the fair. Couldn't sleep well for almost two weeks. Couldn't get rid of some kind of an acidic taste for five days after it ended. Brr, wasn't pretty I can tell you that.

You know what else isn't pretty? Giving kids Red Bull. Holy hell! If anyone won a round of any of the games we had, they'd get one. And it's really not cool to give a 12yearold a can of concentrated sugar, adrenaline, rascalness and explosives... Why are kids so good at DotA?

February 11, 2009 4:02:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've never had a red bull. From everything I've heard, I shouldn't complain

February 11, 2009 4:05:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Mmmm....poutine is delicious!

February 11, 2009 6:17:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

what I personally find so funny is that they put a nice 'don't mix with alcohol' on their cans, but that's half the use of the stuff here. the other being students and normal people needing to stay up and not resorting to coffee.

oh, and people: buy red bull and support my country's economy!

February 11, 2009 7:04:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I was expecting "babies" and "spinich" with maybe a little bit of "noobs"

February 11, 2009 9:11:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

http://media.commercialappeal.com/mca/content/img/photos/2008/03/20/21gyros.jpeg

Gyro It's like a Greek roll-up/sandwich thing..

Oh - you mean a KEBAB!!!! Or souvlaki???

Oh, Red Bull... ugh... I have somewhat... traumatic experiences with it.

The year is 2007. The annual Music & Multimedia Fair is home to the PC PLAY Arena among other things. That's ~30 gaming PCs and ~10 consoles. You can imagine the amount of children people around.

So there we are, in the middle of the fair complex and the nearest bathroom and source of fresh water is about 600 meters away. Red Bull was a major sponsor of some of the events, including ours, so that means free Red Bull for everyone. When you're thirsty, you can go take a hike to the toilet or you could open up the fridge chock full of Red Bull and take a cold one. These were sometimes given to some of the good players as an incentive, but it was mostly just for us employees. Since the fair is open 12 hours a day, and one is thirsty a lot, we averaged at about 10 Red Bulls per head per day. For the full eight days of the fair. Couldn't sleep well for almost two weeks. Couldn't get rid of some kind of an acidic taste for five days after it ended. Brr, wasn't pretty I can tell you that.

You know what else isn't pretty? Giving kids Red Bull. Holy hell! If anyone won a round of any of the games we had, they'd get one. And it's really not cool to give a 12yearold a can of concentrated sugar, adrenaline, rascalness and explosives... Why are kids so good at DotA?

You're lucky your heart didn't stop from that many!!!! Some people with pre-existing congenical defects drop dead from Red Bull. A girl who worked at a pub I did some very casual work at had something like that happen to her from an energy drink. She just didn't think when she drank it, even though she knew not to (was tired or something)....

February 11, 2009 11:51:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

buy Rockstar, support my country's economy

a Gyro

a Gyros

February 11, 2009 11:58:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting EviliroN,

buy Rockstar, support my country's economy

a Gyro

a Gyros

First one looks tastier...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.