The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Reccomendations

By on January 30, 2009 2:44:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm looking to assemble a new gaming PC but havent stayed on top of the latest and greatest technologies. Can you reccomend some processors/motherboards/video cards/sound cards for me. I would like to stay in the 1-1.5k range for the entire system...not looking for a Frog 2009 machine

Any help or links would be appreciated!

Thanks!

+13 Karma | 11 Replies
January 30, 2009 3:06:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Capn, are you looking to build your own or would you be looking for a boutique rig? 

Alot of the stuff in this thread is helpful if you are building your own. 

The [H] forums are always good too. 

I went for a Maingear rig 6 months ago that priced out at just over $1,500 and it was well worth the premium over component cost for warranty, support, professional cabling, overclocking, and OS optimization, imo

Let us know what you end up with.

January 30, 2009 3:18:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would reccomend going to NCIX.com, they have sales every week and you can get things at very good discounts. The suprise sales offer even bigger discounts but at limited quantities. The community there is quite friendly and if you ask nicely they will help you with any general questions you may have.

What you want to do is learn the technology behind each component you wish to buy. Technology tends to upgrade in "tiers", the latest tier has better performance but you will pay out the nose for it. When the geforce 8800 first came out it was quite possible to pay double for a 10% boost in power. DDR3 ram for example is starting to replace DDR2 as the next tier or standard. But DDR3 is still quite expensive and DDR2 is becoming incredibly cheap.

Here are some things I learned when I built my own pc. This was last year at about April and tech changes very fast so some of this might be out of date:

- Aim for a dual core minimum. The improvement in performance of 4 cores over two can still be considered "splurging" unless you actually need that power. If you do video/graphics editing then it can be helpful to crunch the numbers on renders. But for gaming you really don't need it and most games can't utilize 4 cores anyway. Do research that though, because at the time I bought the only real 4 core game was Crysis.

My cpu is a Xeon 3110, which is essentially a repackaged E8400. Its a dual core 3ghz processor which uses the newer 45nm circuitry. At the time it was the best balance between price and power. Go for a newer 45nm core instead of the older 65nm, they run a lot cooler and use less power.

- Get two hard drives minimum, and don't buy ridiculously large drives either. I have two 250gb drives and after almost a year I have yet to use 10% of the available space. Install your OS onto one and put all your games on the second. Games are expendable and can be reinstalled so if that drive crashes then you have no big loss. If your OS drive crashes you can save yourself the hassle of redownloading games, this works great for impulse backups and steam in particular.

- Don't buy cheap (but do buy on sale), you WILL get what you pay for. This is true of all components but especially true in regards to power supplies. Thought it costs more get one with a modular cable system, this will save you no end of hassle and help with cable management.

- Try to get a case with dust filters. That or be prepared to vaccum the computer room every day in the morning (when the dust has settled).

- The case I bought was the Antec 900. Beware cases like it that mount the power supply on the bottom. Sata power connectors are designed to bend one way. If the PSu is on the bottom instead of the top the connectors will be upside down and you will have to twist the cables into ackward shapes.

- I made the mistake of putting my computer near an open window. When winter rolled around the extra moisture caused the motherboard power connector to rust and its now essentially welded to the motherboard. It still works but I can't take it off.

- Don't spend money on a soundcard unless you have a set of speakers that can properly use one. Stereo speakers and a subwoofer are adequate and you may end up using headphones anyway. If you DO have your heart set on a surround sound system make sure the computer room has enough space to fit them.

- If you plan to play FPS games then a gaming mouse can be a good investment. I have a logitech g5 and I love it. Look for ones that can switch DPI without software and ave thumb buttons. If the mouse has more than 5 buttons the extra tend to be gimmicky and placed in poor locations. If you plan to play RTS or puzzle games then any 10 dollar mouse will work out great.

- Wireless is handy if you also have a laptop computer. Otherwise corded are superior for gaming because they never run out of battery and don't have latency issues. If you adjust the mouse cord to the correct length then the cord will also catch your mouse if it falls.

- Keyboard backlights are something of a gimmick. If you are playing in an enviroment dark enough that you need it then you are probably doing damage to your eyes.

January 30, 2009 3:34:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

First....if you have never been there try shopping newegg.com first. http://www.newegg.com hard to beat their prices and service is excellent. I only buy PC componects elsewhere if newegg does not have what I'm looking for.

I too am not up on the currently lastest and greatest so I won't suggest much for specific parts/models, also do your research...

part of it depends on the games you want to play. If your want games like Crysis you going to have to pony up for top of the line CPU and video.

pretty much any dual core CPU will work fine unless you really want a quad core. AMD (X2 5000+ or better or quad core) or Intel though Intel regained the performance lead a few years ago.

Motherboards...ASUS has been having some issues the last few years. it seems as though getting a good ASUS board it hit or miss. instead I would suggest staying with Gigabyte, Abit, EVGA, Foxconn, XFX, MSI.

Video...nVidia IMO. 8800 series or newer. 9000 series or the new 200 (260, 280) series.

RAM...personally I would go with some high performace OCZ. the newer boards you should be looking at least some 1066Mhz. If your going with Vista or plan on getting Windows 7 go with at least 4G RAM. also with RAM even if your new board has 4 or 6 DIMM slots your better off with lower number of memory modules with higher capacity. Such as your better running 2 sticks of 2G each than 4 sticks of 1G.

sound...unless you REALLY have to have high quality sound, you need not spend on a sound card. Most of todays onboard sound chips are as good as or better than most sound cards. You have to go high end sound card to beat it. which means a $50 sound card is worthless, you'll need to pony up more like $200+ to beat the onboard sound.

Power Supply....DON"T GO CHEAP!!!!! and look for at least 56A output. or you may end up frying your video card, CPU or motherboard from lack of power. Personally I would stay away from multi-rail PSUs (anything that advertises 2,3,4 +12v rails) which is a very large portion of the market today. Look around this site Jonnyguru.com many pages of power supply tests and ratings. he will not recommend a poor PSU. and will only recommend them if they meet a 9 rating on his list.

personally for your PSU I would go with a PSU from PC Power and Cooling at least the 750W or maybe the 860 or 1200W depending on your needs. find an online PC power calculator and see what it recommends. enter your desired hardware and where it asks for capacitor aging select at least 30%. what ever it suggests add 30% to that. such as if it suggests a 600W get at least a 750W. read this long post for a deeper look at Power supplies and how important they are.

RESEARCH RESEARCH.....before you buy or you may end up with something your not happy with.

have fun.

January 30, 2009 3:45:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'll give NewEgg a plug.  Phenomenal service and a huge community of product reviewers that will give you specs / requirements / information above and beyond what any manufacturer would ever provide, above and beyond what any tech support would ever know.  Even if you don't buy from them (and I suggest you do, did I mention their service is phenomenal?), you should at least take advantage of their product reviews.

If you're building your own, make sure you plan ahead.  Spending $1000-1500 now is great, but if you find yourself with an extra $500 here or there sometime in the next couple of years (not that you should expect to, nods to the Global Economy), you want to make sure your machine has room for the extra love.

With that in mind, make sure you pick a mobo with an appropriate socket type.  If you get a dual-core CPU now, for example, invest in a motherboard that can support both dual-core and quad-core CPU's.  AMD's socket AM2+, for example.  And, as above, DO NOT SKIMP on the power supply.  If you get a cheapie now, you will find that power will keep you from upgrading to a heavier vid card later, or keep you from adding a second vid card, or keep you from upgrading to a four-core CPU.

One other thing to note: always always always double-check that your RAM and motherboard are compatible!  This is incredibly easy to check (just read the specs on the motherboard, or go to the manufacturer's site and look for their recommended RAM list), but it's the most common mistake I've seen from people building their own boxes.

January 30, 2009 4:01:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If the price is right, I wouldnt mind buying one. If I can save money assembling it, then I would rather go that route. Thanks for all the info guys! I will take your suggestions and check out the provided links. I will post back when I know what I'm going to get! Thanks again!

January 30, 2009 4:42:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In sweden this would be 13000 SEK copy pasted it

in USD 1,555

But i guess this is only something for you if you already have
pheripials like a good screen and a sata hdd... Mouse & Keyboard you can always upgrade that later when cash
allows, they are cheap.. this goes for HDD's also save up for a good SSD or raptor for Boot HDD.
The onboard audio works good enough.... else you can always buy that later also as it isnt that
big of a cost ...i know you werent looking for a Frog Machine but with a bit of patience you can have it for 1500 usd's.

Intel Core™ i7 920 Quad Processor

8MB, Boxed

Artikelnr: 391447
Lagerstatus: 100+ st. på lager
3295.00 3295.00

Asus P6T, X58, Socket-1366

DDR3, ATX, SLI&CrossFireX, Firewire, GbLAN, 3xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16

Artikelnr: 427378
Lagerstatus: 50-99 st. på lager
2599.00 2599.00

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 6GB CL9

Kit w/3x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24

Artikelnr: 404486
1999.00 1999.00

Asus GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX CUDA

PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI, HDMI, HDCP, Core 216, Graphics Plus, 55nm

Artikelnr: 427373
2750.00 2750.00

Seasonic M12 700W, 120mm Fläkt,Modulära

Kablar, ATX/EPS, 2xPCI-E, 20/24pin

Artikelnr: 323037
1395.00 1395.00

NZXT HUSH, Black Aluminum Front, 2X Blue

LED Fans, Screwless design,(Without PSU)

Artikelnr: 337691
1015.00 1015.00

January 31, 2009 11:48:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks like a nice rig, void! Thanks for the info. My main problem right now is trying to decide between a dual or a quad. It looks as though most games dont support quad right now. So, it would make the most sense to get a dual. However, knowing my luck the minute i buy a dual...all games will start going to quad. It would be nice to have something future proof but if it's not going happen for another 2-3 years, then forget it. Any opinions this, ladies and gents?

January 31, 2009 12:01:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

#6 is almost identicle to what I was looking at yeaterday. The only difference is I would have gone for the GTX 285 because of it's superior performance on UT3.

January 31, 2009 1:07:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

try gpureview.com for info on video cards very informative.

January 31, 2009 4:14:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting CapnWinky,
If the price is right, I wouldnt mind buying one. If I can save money assembling it, then I would rather go that route. Thanks for all the info guys! I will take your suggestions and check out the provided links. I will post back when I know what I'm going to get! Thanks again!

buying a prebuilt proprietary system such as Dell, HP etc... vs building your own really comes down to a matter of personal preference. in my experience building your own is usually a little more expensive that buying a proprietary mass built system, but this is generally due to the fact that you can rarely find a mass built system that in configured just the way you want it. . The times when build your own is cheaper is if you go to someone like alienware and customize a tower, at that point getting exactly what you want is indeed much more expensive than building your own tower of the same configuration.

heres what you need to consider,

proprietary pros: 1. generally cheaper than building your own (depending on system hardware configuration),

2. entire system under same warranty, though you need to make sure there is a ceritfied service center in your area. If you live in a rural area you may end up having to ship your system out of the area for repair or driving many miles to get there.

3. tech support offered through proprieter.

4. OS Included, the cost of buying an operating system can be rather expensive if you don't have your own already that you can install on a self built system.

proprietary CONS: 1. warranty-- you CAN'T do ANYTHING hardware wise (such as installing a new video card) to that tower yourself without voiding it any and all work MUST be done someone the proprieter deems a qualified service center.

2. warranty timeframe usually sucks like 1 yr or purchase extended for xxx extra. depending on how busy a service center is you may be without your system for a week or more.

3. VERY RARELY can you find the configuration you WANT you are usually giving up 1 or 2 features you want and getting something you don't want. such as it is difficult to find the video, CPU, and RAM you want all in the same system. proprieters configure for the market not the individual, a lot of times they will sacrifice a G of RAM to offer a slightly better video card etc....

4. BLOATWARE you get to uninstall (though the amount is coming down)

5. if you want to overclock the system you will void warranty if you get caught. must return clocks to factory settings before repairs, and if it is deemed that damage was done due to overclocking the warranty will not cover the repair.

Building your own Pro: 1. everything is still under warranty though through each manufacture all you have to do is register each component with the manufacturer, however, alot of companies today are offering 3-5yr warranties on items like power supplies and video cards. some like XFX offer a DOUBLE LIFETIME warranty on VGA cards which means it is under warranty for the life YOU own it AND if you sell or give it someone else they offer lifetime warraty to them provided they register the card as being the second owner. Something YOU WILL NEVER see with a proprietary system

2. You can configure the system hardware EXACTY how you want it.

3. you CAN do ANYTHING you want hardware wise to the system yourself when you want, you don't have to wait for a warranty to expire to avoid voiding warranties, if you want to upgrade your video or CPU in 6 months or so you can. and the original parts will remain under warranty until stated timeframe (ie. does not expire just because someone besides a ceritfied service center touched it)

4. overclocking will only effect your warranty if it is deemed damage was caused as a result of the clocking. Though VGA card manufacturers are a little more tolerant these days and don't question it much, not sure about Intel but AMD is still pretty strict and will not honor warranty if they deem overclocking was the damage factor.

build your own CONS: 1. you have to know what your doing because you get to do all troubleshooting and repairs if needed. your only help is the internet or manufacture tech support. taking you system to a service center is exptremely expensive if you can't solve the problem. on the flip side if you don't know something you may end up spending hours trying to figure it out but now you have learned another piece of the computer puzzle and expanded your knowledge.

2. if parts fail you have to either RMA the part to the manufac or buy a replacement while you wait on RMA.

3. again not sure about Intel but AMD partly bases warranty on the HSF, if you use an after market HSF (though good ones cool MUCH better) and it fails causing the CPU to fail they will not honor the warranty. AMD requires the use of their HSF. not sure if they have laxed on this or not, it has been a few years since I knew of anyone having to exersize AMD warranty.

overall,

I personally have NEVER owned a proprietary desktop system, my sister owned 2 and I learned from her headaches with the manufacturer that it was NOT worth it for me. I have always built my own and my sister has learned her lesson too, she now comes to me for new desktops as well as a few others do to. the only proprietary systems my friends and family buy these days are laptops and that is only because I have not yet ventured into building my own.

My main reason for HATING proprietary systems is the inability to get exactly what I want and the inability to make any hardware changes without voiding warranty.

as well I enjoy bulding systems.

January 31, 2009 4:54:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

My main problem right now is trying to decide between a dual or a quad.

Go quad and never look back.

Unless of course you're never going to overclock, not even to a higher bin's specs.  (Example: Intel releases a 2.33GHZ quad and a 3.0GHZ quad-you can reliably [98.6% of the time] buy the 2.33GHZ quad and OC it to 3.0GHZ, most of the time without a voltage change.)

But going dual isn't really going to save you any money, either in the short run or in the long run.

-

Nehalem (i7) has come down a bit, as a platform-the motherboards are somewhat cheaper and the RAM is significantly cheaper-to the point where it's almost recommendable.

But either a C2Q (Penryn, Q8200 at $170) or a Phenom II at $230 or $190 (with the 940 being recommended due to an unlocked multiplier) would allow you to use DDR2 in your system, which is currently dirt cheap.  Depending on how much RAM you were planning on getting, you could save yourself anywhere from $250 to $600 in terms of the platform (this includes savings on the motherboard and to an extent on the CPU as well).

Both of the recommended CPUs will handle 3.5GHZ relatively easily and may very well hit 4.0 on air cooling.  The Phenom II 920 is less certain, as the boards at present (AM2/AM3 hybrids) are more sensitive to higher HT speeds than the processor itself is-basically, the 920 is limited, currently, due to lack of an unlocked multiplier.  (I wish I had more specifics on this but I hadn't looked into it in much detail-my apologies if my understanding is slightly off, and if anyone would care to clarify that would be helpful, but the basic idea is still the same.)

-

As far as performance goes, it should be I7 > Penryn = Phenom II (>Conroe > Phenom > Athlon for anyone who cares that far down the line).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.