The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Exploit Your Teammates, Earn More Favor

By on January 19, 2009 2:59:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In the last game I played, which was 2v2. I did much of the work for the team by invest all of my money into the Citadel while my teammates refused to put any money into it. All he bought was gear and equipment with all the money upgrades I was scoring for the team. That is until Catapulasaurs were avilable, he bought those, and only those from the Citadel.

Despite me pushing into both the enemy Portals and clearing the way to capture them both. I didn't recieve any favor at the conclusion of the game, and I did all the hard grunt work clearing towers and keeping the Citadel alive. In the end, my teammate scored 110 Favor and me only 30 favor. This is because he did double my damage and got double the kills (because he never went back to upgrade the cit like  I did every chance I got).

I'm not at all annoyed that the enemy got 140 favor each, but what boggles me was that in the end I only earned a meager 30 favor for all the work. To be frank, that's really a big kick in the face after you win a game. I'm not exactly pleased with the current favor system, and do not know how it judges points. Does it judge based on Damage done? Because I had the lowest in the end of the game. I suggest actually rewarding people for doing real work. For it seems those who just say F-it to team developement and just sit on cash for Gear until Catapulasaurs are available.. then that'll just inspire peopleto force someone else to do the dirty, unfun crap like upgrading while they have all the fun kicking ass.

+70 Karma | 19 Replies
January 19, 2009 4:19:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
In my opinion, Favor is something that i don't in the game. Winning a game should be winning a game just like losing a game should be as such, all this Persistant scoring makes a win such as yours into a disappointment and why is that? you won the game so you should be happy right? NOPE! Persistant Favor points to upgrade this and that reminds me of World of Warcraft and other MMORPGS's in which the person who plays 10 hours a day will have an advantage over someone who plays more casually just to enjoy the game for what it is and not making it a full time job. I hope in the future there is a server in which people can play online and not be able to manipulate these MMORPG type points to gain an advantage over other players because in reality there are kids who drop out of school to spend each waking moment in a persistant online game to beat everyone else who just want to rely on their own abilities, this is what angers me about modern games and is what your experience made me see in Demigod.
January 19, 2009 4:28:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From my understanding, favor points won't be like WOW or other MMORPGs.  Favor points, if I understand it correctly, go toward the online metagame, where your favor and other on your side (light or dark) and you character are comppiled over a month to see who ascends.  Achievement points, used for items, also have low requirements.  You can pick up the most expensive items with 5 or 6 matches with the same character.  This is important information.

To more appropriately address Orleans point, achievement points are not based on damage.  As I am sure you now, you can look at the awards page, this page list the awards for each player.  Each award is assigned a point value, add them and you get the favor points total.  Just looking at the screen shot, he likely got the least deaths, most flags, most buildings, and victory awards.  Look at the Awards page to understand was his favor was higher than yours.

January 19, 2009 4:36:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also they should bring back the team player achievement.  I am not sure if this was for assists in Beta 2, but if it wasn't it could be for the most gold spent at the citadel.

January 19, 2009 6:35:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It feels like the objectives for winning, and the objectives for gaining favor, are spread apart. That should not be the case. Tournaments and single games should be filled with people wanting to win, not people wanting to lose gracefully.

Please make it so that the winning team always receives more favor points than the losing team, for example you could cap it at 90% best case scenario.

January 19, 2009 7:35:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
It feels like the objectives for winning, and the objectives for gaining favor, are spread apart. That should not be the case. Tournaments and single games should be filled with people wanting to win, not people wanting to lose gracefully.

Please make it so that the winning team always receives more favor points than the losing team, for example you could cap it at 90% best case scenario.

I was thinking about this and at first was like yes this makes perfect sense.  But if you look it, the dark forces reached a higher level, killed more grunts, killed more demigods, and did more damage.  Maybe it is okay for them to get this many favor points even if they lost.  This is a lose the battle, win the war, type of scenario.  I would be okay with this occuring in the persistant metagame, if it occured rarely.  If this is a common occurance, then how favor points are awarded needs to be addressed.

January 19, 2009 8:09:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've never had a game where the losing side got more favour points yet so this must have been a weird game (seriously 2 demigod deaths in total, was it domination?)

and upgrading the citadel isn't the only thing you can do for teamplay (and in fact there is a favour reward to the guy who spent most money on citadel upgrades)

January 19, 2009 1:47:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
But if you look it, the dark forces reached a higher level, killed more grunts, killed more demigods, and did more damage.

Umm, of course they killed more grunts, got more levels, and did more damage. We shut down their portals, they had four hordes coming at them with Catapultasaurs. When this heppens, you gain level very quickly before your Citadel dies.

January 19, 2009 2:36:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am tempted to say that capturing flags and purchasing upgrades should be rewarded more heavily than it already is. But remember also that a heavily tricked-out assassin dominating your opponents can be a big part of what enables you to capture those flags and earn that gold.

January 19, 2009 2:58:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you observe the screenshot Nights, we were both the same General.

January 19, 2009 5:07:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Gold spent on Citadel upgrades should be counted toward the favor score, something simiiar to damage.

January 19, 2009 5:21:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A lot of the feedback here is being implemented.

I know one thing I'd like to see is that victory should be a MULTIPLIER of your favor score and not just another source of points.

January 19, 2009 5:33:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

maybe it should be both, I am not too sure but I think "Winner" gives 30 Points so it was the only Achievement Orlean had, if it was a multiplier he gets 0 then.

January 23, 2009 4:36:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it's been said here plenty already, but there is more to the team than the citadel upgrades. That's what the favor points seek to reward. There are a ton things involved in enabling your team to win. Destroying structures allows you to strike key positions. Killing Demigods cuts down on your team's opposition. Buying citadel upgrades defends your team while giving them some extra power to push with. Capturing flags provides bonuses and rallying points.

Just to make it clear about where all the awards went in this game:

OrleanKnight: Winner (30)

mcmjon: Least Deaths (25), Most Flags (20), Most Structures (20), Most Gold (15), Winner (30)

iamkira: Most Kills (25), Least Deaths (25), Most Assists (20), Most Damage (25), Most Grunts (20), Longest Kill Streak (25), Participant (5)

oogachak: Most Kills (25), Least Deaths (25), Most Assists (20), Longest Kill Streak (25), Citadel Upgrades (15), Participant (5)

We'll take another pass through these awards soon, to a set of values that properly reward all the different ways you enable your team.

January 23, 2009 4:59:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the input Vundarbread.  It would be nice to see achievements for

Most HP healed

Damage broken down by amount done to DGs, Buildings, Minions, Grunts

I'm sure this is coming later, but detailed after-game stats would be appreciated too

Thanks 

January 23, 2009 5:16:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vundarbread,
I think it's been said here plenty already, but there is more to the team than the citadel upgrades. That's what the favor points seek to reward. There are a ton things involved in enabling your team to win. Destroying structures allows you to strike key positions. Killing Demigods cuts down on your team's opposition. Buying citadel upgrades defends your team while giving them some extra power to push with. Capturing flags provides bonuses and rallying points.

True, but the way you're speaking now and the way the game treats things makes it seem like citadel upgrades count for nothing.  For that matter, it also makes it seem like winning counts for nothing as well.

Of course, if I allow my teammate to buy all the citadel upgrades, and I use my money to buy only equipment and items, I will probably have better equipment and more items that will allow me to have more individual kills credited to me, less deaths, etc.

Or we could both not upgrade our citadel at all, allow the opposing team to win, and still rack up more points due to earning more achievements, as what seemed to have happened here.

We'll take another pass through these awards soon, to a set of values that properly reward all the different ways you enable your team.

Yeah, you really should.  You should also make winning mean much, much more than anything else, since otherwise what the heck is the use of winning?  This has happened so very often in multiplayer games where there is effectively a greater reward for losing than there is for winning.  Please correct this.

April 18, 2009 12:04:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

favor is broken. its given for wrong reasons. and then you can use it for some bullshit items

April 19, 2009 10:28:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vundarbread,

Just to make it clear about where all the awards went in this game:

OrleanKnight: Winner (30)

mcmjon: Least Deaths (25), Most Flags (20), Most Structures (20), Most Gold (15), Winner (30)

ll the points for mcmjon can be attributed to him buying items to make his own character more powerful. Right now, support characters are very unrewarding.

You can pick up the most expensive items with 5 or 6 matches with the same character.  This is important information.

That's just plain wrong. Additionally, favor points help determine where you stand in the rankings, which is another kick in the groin.

April 30, 2009 1:44:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol? Ranking?

Last time I checked... Rank 2 Stood some user with 2 Wins and 2 Loses... Meanwhile 3rd place had another user with like 53 wins and 0 Losses.

2 Things come to mind here:

1.)  huh? 2-2 > 53-0  ?

2.) The website stats dont work lol.

EDIT:

ok heres the C+P

1 razattack1337 2,968 21,430 17 3 528 minutes
2 kstampy 1,980 10,250 2 2 176 minutes
3 drak13 1,681 5,750 47 3 305 minutes
4 projectwho 1,639 7,060 39 1 179 minutes
5 Micah 1,637 10,995 14 0 342 minutes
6 DalzK 1,548 6,020 32 2 780 minutes
7 Okard7 1,527 6,510 9 2 388 minutes
8 Goratha 1,463 4,020 3 0 113 minutes
9 grubi7 1,451 7,905 32 3 653 minutes
10 Freche 1,451 5,250 1 3 131 minutes
11 Dwindlin 1,443 8,720 36 3 933 minutes
12 Bier_Kanonier 1,442 11,920 43 8 1,502 minutes

May 1, 2009 2:32:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

krazykid2688> He has more than 2 wins and 2 losses, it just shows Pantheon matches.  If you look at the rank 2 user, he played about 50- 1 minute custom games on prison against the AI to farm favor and exp.  Everyone in the top 10 did.

Personally I like the favor system as it is right now (presuming you keep your rewards).  It means that losses don't have to be completely unrewarding, and provides incentive to keep fighting even if you ultimately know you may lose the current match.  You mention you put all your money into the citadel and you should be rewarded for it, and you would have been if you had been the one who had actually put the most money in.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.