The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Suggestion] Limit Teleport to flags & towers based on your region/lane

By on January 9, 2009 4:17:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like teleporting to flags.

But now I think there should be restraints. I'm not sure that I should be able to defend flags I'm no where near and with the primary goal of ganking the enemy by myself or with team members by syncing in voicechat.

If flags are pretty much king of the hill, I or my team shouldn't be able to defend them from anywhere (my base or while conducting business in another lane).

My suggestion is limiting where you can teleport based on what lane or region your in.

My example pic:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• If i'm in my base region I have the option of teleporting anywhere I want inside my base.
  • If want to teleport to the middle or left flag I must first move into the left lane by exiting my base and touching the Lane 1 region.
  • Also you should always be able to teleport back to base no matter where you are.
+5 Karma | 16 Replies
January 9, 2009 4:45:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That would make teleport completely useless as you could run there faster than it would take to teleport.

January 9, 2009 4:49:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is a good idea, but it makes the game needlessly complicated.  Everymap would be different and people would become frustrated not knowing a range or reason. 

January 9, 2009 4:55:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok then, If we're trying to prevent gank defending at flags then how about the time it takes to teleport to flags 2-3x longer?

Anyone? yes? no?

January 9, 2009 4:58:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting idea but I enjoy tele-rapeing to much to agree with it

January 9, 2009 5:00:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mcmjon,
how about the time it takes to teleport to flags 2-3x longer?

Anyone? yes? no?

This wouldn't work unless they also increase the time it takes to cap a flag. you can't port onto the flag if it's neutral or turns neutral but you already know this mcm.

January 9, 2009 5:20:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mcmjon brings up a good point here, which is that the team defending the flag will always have an advantage because they can all port to the flag as long as they control it, regardless of where they are.  The offensive team either needs to walk there in force, which means they are losing coverage elsewhere, or they need to risk the dreaded flag gank, which is becoming more mainstream as we gain experience. 

This really comes back to the question of momentum.  If my team has control of all the flags we will probably keep them, as long as we respond to cap attempts quickly and in force.  Relatively complex strategies like feinting one flag but going for another while your enemy waits on their ports to cool down are viable, but only at really high levels of play.  As flags rise in importance in later builds you will see this issue becoming more important, but it comes back to one thing:  Is momentum something the devs want to encourage or discourage? 

Also, really nice diagram, mcmjon.  I hear you race motorcycles?

January 9, 2009 5:47:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This wouldn't work unless they also increase the time it takes to cap a flag. you can't port onto the flag if it's neutral or turns neutral but you already know this mcm.

tele-rapings haha, its not very fun when your against a team thats syncing it on voicechat, and you can't go anywhere near a flag.

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Thanks for the backup kestrel. How do I give karma?

January 9, 2009 5:59:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thumbs up under the comment, mcmjon.  for you too, it's a valid point with a sweet sweet diagram. 

January 9, 2009 7:09:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If two DG's jump on the flag at the same time it's not possible to react quick enough and port onto the flag before it turns neutral. So to fix this issue use team work (as you should) and it wont be possible to get tele-raped. Also rook and TB can stun and run.

i'm not against the idea 100% but I think I have shown it's not all absurd at the moment.

January 9, 2009 7:15:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

as others have already said its fine as u are because of what trig said and because than teleporting would only take u a hole 2 feet so u might as well run.

January 9, 2009 7:36:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We'll see how it goes I guess...

The only thing I care about is a balanced and competitive game.

January 9, 2009 8:10:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I understand your point mcmjon but that would complicate the game and since most of the maps prob wont be that large it would make it so uu could do like nowere

January 9, 2009 8:15:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
I understand your point mcmjon but that would complicate the game and since most of the maps prob wont be that large it would make it so uu could do like nowere

I see that now and completely agree

My interest at this point larger games (2v2 is all I've ever played), how war points will work, and if flags will ever be more than a king of the kill tele gankfest medium used by dominant teams for aggressive map control.

January 9, 2009 8:19:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ok

January 9, 2009 8:54:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Motorcycles are cool

January 10, 2009 8:38:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good post.

My suggestion is to tag certain flag points as unteleportable. That is, certain flags or flag types (arbitrarily determined by the map designer?) *CANNOT* be teleported to. This way we still preserve the usefulness of the Teleport scroll while striving to force actual time-to-target considerations: you can respond instantly to certain threats, but others - and potentially to some of the most critical ones - you are going to have to perambulate to. You`ll have to coordinate, make plans, and sacrifice defense of points elsewhere to make the journey.

That would be simpler than a region-based limitation. It accommodates both trains of thought on teleportation as well.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.