The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Beta schedule: January 2009

By on January 6, 2009 6:04:11 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Greetings and happy new year!

For those of you in the beta for Demigod, we are currently working on a new build that we hope to release this Thursday which will have a lot of improvements to the multiplayer code. We don’t anticipate there being any big new features in this build, we really want to focus on the connectivity.

Tomorrow, I leave for CES (Consumer Electronics Show).  I’ll be live-blogging there at http://www.impulsedriven.com/ces2009. Check it out as you’ll get lots of little tidbitgs.

On Saturday, I fly from CES to Seattle to visit with Gas Powered Games so that we can finish up the user manual and work on the next beta phase.

So that you guys understand what’s going on, like with Sins of a Solar Empire, Demigod is being worked on as an integrated team effort between Stardock and Gas Powered Games. So GPG is helping us on ads, box design, etc. And we’re helping them on code. It’s not your usual situation. But it allows us to combine our strengths.

What that means in concrete terms is that Stardock is developing the Pantheon Tournament code that Demigod will call on. The competitive on-line features in Demigod should be pretty state of the art when it’s done which is where my visit comes in at GPG. Coordinating the integration of the two code bases. Then we will need to get a public beta going.

If there is time, I hope for us to run a beta tournament with cash and prizes to test out the system. It’s a good way to thank beta testers for helping us out and work out cheese and connectivity problems early. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has been frustrated about buying a new game only to find it having glaring problems in on-line play. Our goal is to make sure that doesn’t happen.  Mind you, it will still probably happen but at least we (you guys and us) can put in a best effort to reduce that sort of thing.

So assuming this week’s build is called Beta 2A, we will either follow-up with a beta 2B which will have additional connectivity issue fixes or we’ll start looking at Beta 3.

So what would beta 3 have in it?

Here’s a tentative outline:

• Multiplayer tournaments.
    • Pantheon where players pick a Demigod and earn favor points in the battles.
    • Skirmishes where players play normal stand alone games and go up a more traditional ladder.
  • New Game Mechanics
    • The War score implemented that should greatly improve game play.
    • More balancing and cleaning up of skills, citadel upgrades, flags, etc.
  • General polishing.

We don’t have an exact ETA. It won’t be available until Chris Taylor and I are satisfied with it.  I’ll have a better idea next week on that. We’ll be posting pictures here from the beta team directly when I’m in Seattle.

+897 Karma | 40 Replies
January 7, 2009 11:09:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's hoping the update is still due for tomoorw.  Unfortunately for me, my net connection is intermittant at best after an ice storm.  Cable folks said they won't be here until Friday, uggghhhh!!!

January 7, 2009 11:13:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hope the update is still on track for tomorrow.  I won't be joining you all becuase a ice storm made my high speed connection intermittant at best.  Cable guy isn't coming until Friday, uugggghhhhhh!!!

(Hope I didn't double post, submitted this already but it didn't show up.) lol it did.

January 7, 2009 11:33:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know they're still hoping for tomorrow. I'm currently out at CES so it's almost midnight back Michigan time. They were testing out new net code though and depending on how that went we'll either have a beta tomorrow, Friday, or early next week.

January 8, 2009 12:24:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hooray for cash prizes!

January 8, 2009 6:25:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hope it comes ou today or tomorrow

January 8, 2009 2:06:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I keep refreshing impulse but I don't see no patch

January 8, 2009 3:00:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Patiemce Eago, patience...

January 8, 2009 5:14:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting siksikiisoi,
Patiemce Eago, patience...

I believe it's Iago, but good one.

January 11, 2009 9:48:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well its the 12th and still no update? You able to give us an update on when it is expected for release? thank you for the awesome game tho! just wish i could play with my friends

January 11, 2009 10:13:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it will be later tomorrow, btw I think your on a differnt time zone. for me its still the eleventh

January 12, 2009 2:18:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Still working on it. Sorry for the delay.

January 12, 2009 7:00:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no prob frogboy.

January 14, 2009 12:02:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

one simple-minded question: if i preorder and download this promising peace of software, can i take part in beta 3? 

January 14, 2009 12:15:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting KaiserGimmel,
one simple-minded question: if i preorder and download this promising peace of software, can i take part in beta 3? 

If you mean Beta 2a coming up tomorrow - if you preorder today you might get in.  It doesn't look like the devs had closed Beta 2 as of 1/11.  If you actually mean Beta 3 then definitely, as that is a month or so away. 

January 14, 2009 3:21:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

actually i think i heard some when get in on 1/12 so my bets are itys open.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.