The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Balance] Damage Scaling

By on January 1, 2009 6:53:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was recently playing Epic rpg, which if you are not familiar handles damage scaling in an elegant way.  In the case of Spells for instance, everything is calculated with your bonuses stacked onto a roll of 2d10.  This is called the "Decision Roll" which determines your PDL (per difficulty level).  If a spell does 1d10 damage PDL, and I roll a 12 + 4 = 16, this puts my damage at DL3, or in this case, 3d10.  DL1 is 5 or better on the decision roll, DL2 is 10 or better, etc.

I'm not saying demigod should necessarily adopt such a system, but in Epic's case, it helps combat to remain fast and deadly even at high levels.

+1 Karma | 12 Replies
January 1, 2009 8:53:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Something needs to be done to help scaling at higher levels.  I feel in particular that regulus has too little damage in late levels if you play him as a pure sniper.  I would prefer a more transparent system that is easy to understand than a dice roll system though.

January 1, 2009 9:37:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Naturally any "dice" system would translate into percentage chances in a game like demigod.  Those are easy enough to understand.  I was simply noting Epic rpg as an example of how damage might be handled.

January 2, 2009 12:06:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it should be damage u do on a normal attack + damage it does + extra damages for whatever level your on.

January 2, 2009 2:58:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
I think it should be damage u do on a normal attack + damage it does + extra damages for whatever level your on.

Another great idea Soccer, this is what I have also been thinking of.

January 2, 2009 3:27:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

of course the target's armor would be a minus to this damage.

January 2, 2009 3:49:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

very true. Guys what exactly does armor do, I mean I no it blocks damage but how do they calculate the amount it blocks, sry if this is off topic.

January 2, 2009 4:14:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wondered the same thing. I figured I would eventually figure it via the forums or game play...

January 2, 2009 4:16:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it's % mitigation.  Where's DK when you need him?

January 2, 2009 4:30:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've never read what armor or dodge actually do in DG combat. I'm guessing that armor gives a percent dmg reduction, and dodge gives a percent chance to have an attack miss completely. Although I still don't know for sure, so take it with a grain of salt.

January 2, 2009 4:51:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Explanation of armor:

[ 2500 / (2500 + armor) ] * 100 = % damage that you take from normal (non-spell attacks).  So if you have 2500 armor, you take 50% damage; if you have 5000 armor you take only 33%, etc.

I think dodge is just a % chance of dodging attacks (I don't know if spells are included).

January 2, 2009 4:58:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks Gnat3

So do spells bypass armor?

January 2, 2009 5:23:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As far as I know, yes.  And that makes sense, since whenever I use Regulus's snipe, it always displays the damage in big text and it is always the whole amount.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.