The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Regulus scales far too poorly, or just generally.

By on December 18, 2008 9:06:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When I was level 1-10, I was the meanest bitch on the map. But when you get to level 18, that 900 damage just doesn't cut it, and it never goes up. Same for the mines.. if I laid those suckers straight on a Demigod, he would be half health. But obviously that damage never goes up. Now they are level 25 and buy +4000HP items or whatever, and these skills, they just don't cut it. This makes the endgame basically pure stats spam. The damage of abilities should scale per level once the fourth rank is reached, or per some other base stat to keep their relevance. I was sick of running around and sniping my opponents to find no significance.

+5 Karma | 22 Replies
December 18, 2008 9:37:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree.  Snipe should be base damage plus snipe damage.  It is extremely weak late game.

December 18, 2008 9:38:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, it's balanced out by the fact that Regulus level 25 is pure stats ownage.

Heck, as a level 18 Reg I was as powerful as a level 25 torch bearer.

It does make the replayability suck for Reg though.

December 18, 2008 9:59:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I found him not so bad late game his mines are excellent for wiping out full waves of enemys allowing u to quickly kill demigods. I also found that he was an excellent finisher. When demigods run away u follow attack a bit, than snipe.

December 18, 2008 10:31:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe I'm wrong since I'm new, but overall I feel like Regulus is actually a bit too powerful, even though Snipe scales so poorly.  That is to say that some aspects of him are under powered (like Snipe), some over powered (his stats are a bit too good), but things balance too much in his favor.  Am I wrong about this?

December 19, 2008 12:56:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They did say that this Beta was not balanced.

December 19, 2008 1:18:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Stilbine,
They did say that this Beta was not balanced.

Yes, and this is why they need our feedback to let them know what needs to be balanced.

Basically, I think that Regulus has too much oomph in his auto-attack but should have his Snipe scale properly.  That way he isn't just a stat-stomper at the end game but requires strategy using Snipe to be effective at taking down enemy demigods.

December 19, 2008 7:18:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your way would make Snipe mandatory - that's not the way to balance this.

December 19, 2008 5:56:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yes it sort of is. Regulus should be a weak fighter, he's supposed to be but He is supposed to be a great finisher which is why snipe is his holy move and right now it would be nice if snipe would be alittle stronger.

December 19, 2008 7:39:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He's not supposed to be a great finisher. One of his specs is a great finisher. He can also go for grunt killing with damage items and the AoE skill, ambush/defense with mines, and combinations of those.

December 19, 2008 7:50:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The point though is that he's *not* a great finisher. Which is nonsensical as it's one of his specs.

December 19, 2008 7:58:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree that his finishing spec does not scale well - up until the very late game, his finishing works fine. But Snipe should in no case be mandatory.

December 19, 2008 8:05:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed, but it shouldn't suck either.

December 19, 2008 9:12:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DatonKallandor,
I agree that his finishing spec does not scale well - up until the very late game, his finishing works fine. But Snipe should in no case be mandatory.

You're right.  I take back what I said.  I still feel, however, that Regulus's raw stats do scale a bit too well...

December 19, 2008 9:58:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Snipe was a joke practically from the moment I got the final upgrade, so something definitely needs to change. I think having decent +spell damage items would fix a lot of the problems this game has.

I mean, I used it on its final level and it took away maybe a 6th of my enemies health, which then regenerated. When I saw that I thought to myself "And I spent 5 of my skill points for that ability?"

December 20, 2008 1:33:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Snipe is mean-ass if you use it properly and put your points into it as soon as they become available. The trouble is that this doesn't last.

December 20, 2008 2:02:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Couldn't have said it better DeadMG. Making Snipe do weapon damage + skill level based damage + range based damage would probably solve that.

December 20, 2008 2:12:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've noticed that a lot of the end game spells have this problem.

For example with the Torch Bearer's final level fireball spell (does 1,000 or so dmg on a 3 second cast time).

The problem with this is that by that point in the game, my regular attacks do 500 damage per hit and fire 1.5 times per second. Meaning that I do LESS damage with my final spell that I dumped fiveish points into than with my default attack.

Obviously, this is messed up.

December 20, 2008 2:52:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Adding a level based component to spells would help with the scaling problems. Something akin to "fireball 1 200 + 50 per level", "fireball 2 400 + 100 per level".

December 20, 2008 4:05:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That its a great idea Daton kallandor I think if the devs implented it into the beta maybe we could get it balanced for the actual game.

December 20, 2008 7:01:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Adding level based damage sound like a very good idea.  Increments of 5 might be a good level to start at.  For Snipe the bonus damage for range could also be increased for each point put into it, say multiply the current range bonus by the number of points in it.  Being sniped by a high level Regulus should hurt a lot.

As an aside, what about making single target damage dealing abilities, such as Snipe and Fireball, auto-kill any portal creep they are used on? Balance wise it would be a choice between killing a single creep or damaging a demigod.

December 20, 2008 7:10:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The level based component sounds great, it would solve every scaling problem and cause no harm to the balance, I'm all for it!

December 20, 2008 7:20:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd still want +dmg gear but I like the idea of extra dmg per level.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.