The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Yet Another Example Why People Should have to get a License to have Children

And you thought your name sucked rocks!

By on December 18, 2008 2:46:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental ForumsExternal Link

OK. If you thought your childhood was bad because of your name then be grateful you were not born in this family. Oddly enough the little tyke looks a lot like Damien - Seriously!

I can see all the playground "fun" this poor sod will have especially if he grows up in any metropolitan area.

A follow up story is here.

+171 Karma | 85 Replies
December 18, 2008 2:59:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

China requires a license to have children, and the results are absolutely awful.

December 18, 2008 3:03:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Mad naming you kid Adolf Hitler how insane must your be. In fact i would have presumed that everyone who<S last names were Hitler would have changed them.

December 18, 2008 3:04:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Double post

December 18, 2008 3:05:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

He looks like a she. Gross.

I agree. An injection of 0.5ccs of lead at 2500 FPS is my professional reccomendation,

December 18, 2008 3:12:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Cataclysm2000,
He looks like a she. Gross.

I agree. An injection of 0.5ccs of lead at 2500 FPS is my professional reccomendation,

I lol'ed, what a pair of f***ing 'tards. deed poll?

December 18, 2008 3:18:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

its not the kid's fault he has jacka**es for parents

December 18, 2008 3:40:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It actually gets worse. They called their daughter airian nation

December 18, 2008 5:39:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting tetleytea,
China requires a license to have children, and the results are absolutely awful.

The license is for different reasons. As I understand it in China it is for population control and there is a heavy fee associated with additional children after the first one. The type of license I'm talking about would be for general intelligence, health and parenting skills.

December 18, 2008 6:03:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When intelligence and health should be prerequirements for reproduction, what's your problem with Adolf Hitler in the first place?

December 18, 2008 6:07:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't very much care what other people name their kids, but use some sense. Adolph Hitler? How much fun is your kid going to have at school (or other kids going to have with him?).

December 18, 2008 6:14:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can agree that it may be a bit inappropriate to name your child Adolf Hitler, but I absolutely don't see anything inherently wrong with it.

I agree that parenting should require some kind of formal license, though.
The problem of such a license, of course, is inherently in who grants them - for example, apart from the parents looking retarded (not a crime in itself), I absolutely don't see anything wrong with this situation, except the wanton biggotry of others.

The only thing I can see as inherently wrong is the refusal to sign his birthday cake. After all, it is his name.

Quoting mja5000,
I don't very much care what other people name their kids, but use some sense. Adolph Hitler? How much fun is your kid going to have at school (or other kids going to have with him?).

I see this argument brought up time and again. How does this reflect onto the parents? If you want to blame someone, blame the bullies and their parents.

December 18, 2008 6:43:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Luckmann,
I can agree that it may be a bit inappropriate to name your child Adolf Hitler, but I absolutely don't see anything inherently wrong with it.

I agree that parenting should require some kind of formal license, though.
The problem of such a license, of course, is inherently in who grants them - for example, apart from the parents looking retarded (not a crime in itself), I absolutely don't see anything wrong with this situation, except the wanton biggotry of others.

The only thing I can see as inherently wrong is the refusal to sign his birthday cake. After all, it is his name.

Quoting mja5000, reply 10I don't very much care what other people name their kids, but use some sense. Adolph Hitler? How much fun is your kid going to have at school (or other kids going to have with him?).
I see this argument brought up time and again. How does this reflect onto the parents? If you want to blame someone, blame the bullies and their parents.

Well, the way I see it, your just as free to refuse to sign a birthday cake as you are to name your kid after a pretty bad man.  You can't really fault either side.  Yes, it is his name, but his parents gave it to him.  And it's probably his parents who are paying for the cake.  So technically, it's simply the cake maker refusing service; completely acceptable if they can handle loss of a sale.  Sucks for the kid though, in both his name and loss of cake.

December 18, 2008 6:50:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Insanetitan,
Well, the way I see it, your just as free to refuse to sign a birthday cake as you are to name your kid after a pretty bad man.  You can't really fault either side.  Yes, it is his name, but his parents gave it to him.  And it's probably his parents who are paying for the cake.  So technically, it's simply the cake maker refusing service; completely acceptable if they can handle loss of a sale.  Sucks for the kid though, in both his name and loss of cake.
Of course, you're right. Don't worry, though. They did get another cake, and had it signed with his name.

I'm of the opinion that anyone have the right to deny anyone else their services, contrary to the politics my nation practices. On a level of principles. On a more personal level, however, I feel that unless there's a solid reasoning behind the decision to refuse anyone their services, there's a moral fault (if not legal fault) which I just can't agree with.

December 18, 2008 6:57:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It's terrible to see a perfectly good birthday cake go to waste.   Can they send it to me?  I wouldn't mind.

December 18, 2008 7:05:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting tetleytea,
It's terrible to see a perfectly good birthday cake go to waste.   Can they send it to me?  I wouldn't mind.

December 18, 2008 7:08:33 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It's premeditated mental cruelty against a child. The thing is the intent. Obviously from the names of their other children they are brazenly stating that intent. An intent which leads to anguish and suffering of the child, while promoting hate and criminal activity. It would seem if the parents are so brash about their beliefs there should be plenty of history for a child services attorney to gather and prove them unfit.

Hell, a good samaritan viglante should solve the problem and save the state some lawyers fees. Pretty clear cut that these people should be removed from society.

December 18, 2008 7:18:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DerSenf,
When intelligence and health should be prerequirements for reproduction, what's your problem with Adolf Hitler in the first place?

Let's not read more into it then intended. I did not mention ethnic, religious, educational or economic background. Basic intelligence, health and parenting skills with the majority of the emphases going towards parenting skills.

Bringing children into the world is likely the most important thing we can do as people and yet as a society which places a high priority on the welfare and health of children, with long prison terms associated to many aspects of it we have almost no preparation programs to give competent people necessary skills to successfully negotiate this phase of life outside of religious organizations. Then everyone blames the child when it turns out to be a bad adult which ultimately ends up in prison or dead and often with a string of victims along the way. Sad but true.

It is politically correct to say "think about the children" but I say: Think about the parents!

December 21, 2008 6:09:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, you talking about inborn attributes, don't you? What you going to? Making a DNA analysis for gene defects? Are two deaf people allowed to make a child? Who exactly should NOT be allowed to, in your opinion? Please give an example.

When parents are mentally changelled (clincal) or incable to do the job for similar reasons it's obvious they won't be the one to raise their children, apart from that, I don't see how you could make an effective and just law concerning the issue. Those parents are most certainly retarded, but not due to some mental illness. Bad parents have children who will be bad parents some day, unless they have support outside the family. It's a simple as that and most likely what happend here. It's nothing innate to those people. You need a proper environment to develop properly, which some families (actually it's more lile dynasties) cannot grant.

I cannot comment on social/political issues, since I most certainly are from another country than you are. I support major efforts in education, especially school and pre-school, since they have the highest impact. But since people hate children here, I am not likely going to see it happen in my lifetime.

December 21, 2008 6:51:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't agree in needing a license to have children, just more stringent laws and social agencies that actually do their damn job.  It leads to more questions on who has the right to decide who is fit, who is not, how should someone raise their own children.  I have seen debates on this topic across a few forums the final result is no one really cares that some guy named his child after a dictator and the bakery or what ever it is should have made the cake.

December 21, 2008 8:36:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Luckmann,

Because obviously, the kid's parents are absolutely innocent and shouldn't care about other kid's parents being idiots who educate bullies. Who cares about protecting your kid's mental development? Survival of the fittest!!

About the original link... so many many many idiots in this world. There is no hope. Where is extinction when you need one?

December 21, 2008 8:46:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting tetleytea,

Could you please elaborate on this?  Are all of the results awful or just some of the results (such as female infanticide and a huge oversupply of males)?  Is the resultant deceleration of the nation's population explosion (which, if kept unchecked, would eventually lead to violence and starvation) one of the bad results?  Ever seen the movie Soylent Green?

December 21, 2008 11:28:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CenturionJixra,
Could you please elaborate on this?  Are all of the results awful or just some of the results (such as female infanticide and a huge oversupply of males)?  Is the resultant deceleration of the nation's population explosion (which, if kept unchecked, would eventually lead to violence and starvation) one of the bad results?  Ever seen the movie Soylent Green?

Female infanticide (as well as exposing crippled males) has been a part of many cultures for far longer than the PRC has attempted radical population control. The oversupply of males in recent cohorts is probably due more to selective abortions--there are probably still at least several clinics around the world where you can have a fetus' sex tested in one wing and move promptly to another for an abortion, almost always for the females. The problem also affects India, and probably helped inspire a darned interesting SF film, Matrubhoomi.

The forced abortions, sterilizations, and invasive, menstruation-monitoring block ladies are the worst things I know about from China's population policies. I've long found the story very, very unpleasant because I strongly believe the whole planet should be doing One Woman, One Child until we're much closer to 1 billion than 10, but I'm also devoted to liberty and have seen too much evidence that breeding urges are an insanely powerful legacy of our mammalian ancestry--perhaps beyond our current powers of "civilization."

Running close behind the really nasty things is the corruption associated with avoiding the penalties of having an illegal child. When you heavily regulate something that primal, you are definitely going to create some sort of black market.

December 21, 2008 11:54:42 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Requiring licencing would be taking another liberty away from the people and giving it to the government.  The solution to all or problems is not, "lets pass a law against it."  Sometimes other solutions work better, and some mistakes it's better to just let people make.  Yeah, it's a tough name for a kid to have, but lots of kids get made fun of for their names, and he can change it when he gets older, if he so chooses.

Similarly, the government also has no buisiness decided who can and can't have children.  In fact, what needs to be done is the government making sure that it doesn't interfere with the normal consequences of unwise activities that lead to pregnancy.  I life near a major city, for example, and it's a fairly normal practive for women of a lower economic means to purposely have more children so the government will give them more money in child support.  The mothers are thus unfit, but the natural consequences of having children in this fashion have been supplanted by government created benefits, encouraging this behavior.

Now, as addressing population growth in general, the economically sounder countries have for years been experiencing massive population shrinkage, without any need for government control.  Only countries with a large amount of immigration, like the US or the UK, are still experiencing much of a population growth, if any.  This tells us that economic growth is the best solution to this problem too, and a solution which takes liberty from no one.

December 21, 2008 12:06:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don' see why his parents are surprised at the public reaction to his name. I really can't understand how they expected this to go unnoticed, he is , after all, named after a genocidal maniac responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of people. And the "stop living in the past people!" is not going to help. Hitler left a sever mark on our history and will not be forgotten. I don't think that child licensing is necessary I just think that you should actually think about the impact your childs name will hold. These people, apparently, did not.

Samurye.

December 21, 2008 12:37:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I find the name "Barrack Hussein Obama" a problem and he is the president of the USA. If he can be the president with that name then why can't someone name their child Adolf Hitler? Saddam "Hussein" had killed thousands of people, he was a modern day hitler. Osama Bin Laden... replace the "s" with a "b" in Osama and you have Obama. Shows how stupid people in USA can be to vote that through to president then complain about a kid named Adolf Hitler. WAKE UP AMERICA before it is too late!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.