The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Elemental] Forum background

By on November 18, 2008 9:01:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is this pissing anyone else off?  It's not offensive, per se, but it's exactly the wrong shade.  Neither white nor black text shows up comfortably on it, and smaller black text can even blur into unreadability, while smaller white text is just plain awful.  Do we need to start using colors in all our posts here, or will there perhaps be some kind of change?

Per GW's excuse, we don't appear to have a forum issues section here-or at the very least it's not visible.  And this is, to my knowledge, only an issue on this site-I haven't had a problem with the GCII or SoaSE forum background colors personally, although your mileage may vary.

+130 Karma | 39 Replies
November 18, 2008 9:10:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ummm . . this post crossed-posted to forums.impulsdriven.net (where I am reading it.)  Where did you post from? 

November 18, 2008 9:14:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm guessing he's posting from Elemental. But if that's the case I think it's fine. I don't have trouble reading normal black text anyway, and I think the background color is quite easy on the eyes (not unlike mittens, as he likes to point out!)

November 18, 2008 9:43:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
Ummm . . this post crossed-posted to forums.impulsdriven.net (where I am reading it.)  Where did you post from? 

Yet another reason why the cross forumed system doesn't work so well. 

Sorry, should have pointed that out initially.

Yeah, Annatar, it's okay for normal posts, but when things get TL;DR it's just horrible.  Though this may have something to do with the fact that I need to sleep.  But I still think it's a somewhat larger issue than that.  Also, white text looks like shit regardless.

November 18, 2008 9:46:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, I don't think the forum was designed for white text. Black seems to be the best fit, though the blue it uses for the thread titles and forum headers works pretty good, too.

November 18, 2008 9:54:40 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Yeah, I don't think the forum was designed for white text. Black seems to be the best fit, though the blue it uses for the thread titles and forum headers works pretty good, too.

The blue works great, IMHO.

Also, posting from the GCII forums FTW!

Shit looks so much better here it's not even funny.    Although white on black is fairly simplistic, it works and works well.

November 18, 2008 10:13:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I do most of mine from Sins, same white on black

November 18, 2008 10:17:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

what background would you prefer,   any color but blakc is awefull really  just looking at this white Replyer background makes my eyes hurt a lil >.>  maybe i should check my monitor.. or open some windows

a...anyways  blakc seems fine to me,  looking at blue, green or red well... it doenst fit with soase,   black = space  with suits fine for me

November 18, 2008 10:19:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nah, he doesn't have a problem with the black. It's the beige-ish background on forums.elementalgame.com that he doesn't like

November 18, 2008 11:27:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Nah, he doesn't have a problem with the black. It's the beige-ish background on forums.elementalgame.com that he doesn't like

I like that background very much. It's very pleasing for my eyes.

Imho better then the black backgrounds in the Sins forums and way better then white background. (White hurts my eyes. )

November 18, 2008 11:37:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, I said the same thing above

November 18, 2008 2:12:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

Yeah, I said the same thing above

Me too. I think it is the best skin of all the sites. I find it rather elegant.

November 18, 2008 11:02:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I absolutely love the color set of the Elemental forums. I really don't get what you're getting at, Sole Soul.

I can see how white text could be taxing on the eyesight, but black displays just fine for me. If the background was entirely white, I think it'd be far worse on my eyes.

November 19, 2008 7:06:13 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Luckmann,
I absolutely love the color set of the Elemental forums. I really don't get what you're getting at, Sole Soul.

I can see how white text could be taxing on the eyesight, but black displays just fine for me. If the background was entirely white, I think it'd be far worse on my eyes.

Then apparently I'm just cranky and was awake for entirely too long.

That said, is there any way the background could be made somewhat darker?  This would seem to be a reasonable compromise between the two viewpoints.  Feel free to correct me if I'm way off base on that estimation.

November 19, 2008 7:07:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope they won't make the background darker. I can read the elemental forums for hours () without making my eyes bleed.

November 19, 2008 7:42:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting vieuxchat,
I hope they won't make the background darker. I can read the elemental forums for hours () without making my eyes bleed.

I concur. Making the background darker will mute the contrast and we will end up with the reverse of what we see just above the copyright notice on every page.

Additionally, the color of the reply bars is too harsh in my opinion. I think it should a 20% gray fill or even a 30%.

November 19, 2008 8:02:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting vieuxchat,

But I can't.

Can I at least get the option of using GCII's background here?  Pretty please?

November 19, 2008 8:33:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sole Soul,

Quoting vieuxchat, reply 14I hope they won't make the background darker. I can read the elemental forums for hours () without making my eyes bleed.
But I can't.

Can I at least get the option of using GCII's background here?  Pretty please?

If you go here you can get SDs blue and white skin. It is the root system from what I can tell. However the Elemental sub forum does not show.

November 19, 2008 8:39:26 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yeah, that's why I was hoping for an option to set the background/skin (based on the ones the sites already have), since that appears to be the easiest way to make me happy while everyone else is still happy.  While topics technically exist on all sites, they're not easily accessible from all of them. 

Thank you for that, though.

November 19, 2008 9:01:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sole Soul,
Thank you for that, though.

No worries. It's my karma to do such things when I can.

<--karma whore

November 19, 2008 9:11:56 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You got the whore part right. 

Viewing an Elemental-specific thread from the GCII forums and giving you karma for it on WinCustomize = epic win.

Which brings me to my other point (which I made in another thread), namely that karma shows up on a user's profile regardless of site (i.e. the links to the appropriate post), but the karma count is site-specific.  Why is karma count the only thing that isn't global?

November 19, 2008 9:34:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why is karma count the only thing that isn't global?
So you can be a jerk here and a hero there and have karma accordingly.

November 19, 2008 9:46:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Zubaz wins a cookie for the best explanation ever.

November 19, 2008 9:53:34 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Why is karma count the only thing that isn't global?So you can be a jerk here and a hero there and have karma accordingly.

But what does an hero count as?

Besides, I screwed that up by giving Spartan karma on the "wrong" site. 

November 19, 2008 10:05:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some forums are universal (like off-topic, Impulse), so karma given on those forums shows up everywhere.

November 19, 2008 10:26:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Some forums are universal (like off-topic, Impulse), so karma given on those forums shows up everywhere.

Why do you have to ruin my fun? 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.