The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Q&A With Lead Designer Mike Marr

By on October 13, 2008 6:53:23 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Mike Marr, Lead Designer for Demigod, sits down with a Q&A session with Gamezone.com.  They cover a range of topics including character creations, overall game dynamics, and much more.  It’s a great look into the “behind the scenes” work going on to create this incredible game.

"We begin by individually brainstorming what we think are the most compelling epic characters we can imagine," said Mike Marr, Lead Designer. "From there we all meet and discuss the ideas, narrowing the pool down to just a couple. At that point art works on concepts and design works on abilities and background information. At that point we’ll review and see which Demigod is speaking to us the most. The one that speaks the most to us is the one we’ll start actual creation of. The other ideas are filed away and reviewed again when we go to create a new demigod."

Read the full Q&A at GameZone.com.

+458 Karma | 34 Replies
October 14, 2008 6:26:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The new article also posted today for IGN/RPG Vault clears up a ton of questions.  Overall it is a much better interview. 

There are generals and I feel far more excited after reading that article.

I have never been to gamezone before, but the article really did not seem on par with most Q&A articles I have read.  It is all feeling, but to me they are two interviews about the same game, with the same person, and on the same day, but feel completely different.

October 14, 2008 7:15:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

link?

October 14, 2008 8:11:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

On the main page.  Next to the link for this.  Yes, they posted to interviews today.

Go now!

October 15, 2008 9:15:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Isn't it funny no one from Stardock or GPG has commented in this thread!!!

October 15, 2008 11:54:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can you not read or does someone need to put some pictures to get to your level.

From what I've heard, only the Demigods are controllable. There are dozens of minions on the battlefield but none can be influenced by the player. What made the development team take this direction?

MM: We found the Demigods so compelling and interesting to play that we elected to play to our strengths and focus on what made the game fun and standout. Rather than go horizontal with our design, including tons of secondary features and methods of play which would “water down” the feel and design of Demigod, we elected to go vertical, striving for every aspect of fighting with a Demigod to be extremely polished and rewarding. The result is a game with epic feel and a level of polish that is true to its original design; fast-paced action combat with strategic elements.

Again Stardock we all were told from the start that this is a ground breaking game!!! With RPG and RTS however looks like you are going to stink up the show. Some one please just stay the generals are gone or not. Because this is a huge Deal!!!! Also we was told the first year is free and looks like if you want more than eight DG's then you will have to buy them. NO one wants a pay to play so keep that in mind or just release this to the bargain bin!!

Sorry but i still completely fail how this means there will be no generals? Perhaps (as mentioned by Gnats) it just means that generals will be able to make units but not have direct control over them. Perhaps it means that the "units" that the generals make are not "minions"? Or perhaps it was just a bad statement because you can already "influence" other minions on the battlefield. Do you see my point? Either way its a compeltely stupid thing to assume that there will be no generals in demigod And incase you haven't realised its the interviewer who makes this statement not the designer....so tbh it makes this whole debate pointless.

October 15, 2008 1:31:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Obviously better then you

October 23, 2008 1:47:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey all!

Sorry for the complete lack of response lately. We've recently tapped the afterburners to get Beta 2 out to you all and pack as much awesome as we can in to it and it has kept me cranking. So, while the game has benefited dramatically, my forum presence has sunk like a rock. I apologize.

Now! For questions.

"Racing game? Fighting game? WTF!" I'm circuitously talking about how single player works. I haven't been given the green-light to talk directly about it yet, so this is my way of talking out of the side of my mouth. I was talking about how the game plays OUTSIDE of the actual matches. Vague I know, but there you have it.

"No generals? I hate you Tyo!" There will be Generals. They will be awesome. I will accept no substitutes.

Again, sorry all for the lack of responses - the team is deep in the trenches and winning huge battles for the game, unfortunately that's come at the price of forum participation. It is my plan that as we enter the balance stage of the game you'll be hearing and chatting with me on a much more frequent basis.

- Mike "Tyo" Marr
Demigod Design Lead

October 23, 2008 2:51:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice to hear from you Mark.  I look forward to seeing how single player is, I am actually pretty excited about it too.  I am also glad to hear generals are in there, I really hope they are in fact awesome. 

By the way, as the person hugely perplexed by the racing game and fighting game comment, I did not say WTF.  However, I think you got my emotion if you thought confusion, but not if you thought I was pissed.  I was really just confused.

October 23, 2008 2:24:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

finaly a word from you Tyo, for a moment I thoght you don't care about us anymore.

good to hear you and good to know you all working hard, I can't wait for the beta2/generals.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.