The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Kudos to impulse, we love it! and don't let the tin foils put you off!

By on August 10, 2008 6:54:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am seeing thread after thread of people claiming to hate impulse, mostly via wild tin foil hat theories such as "impulse COULD be spyware even if it everyone insists it isn't" or "impulse COULD potenatially be DRM even though it isn't" with about as much logic and science as the radio brainwashing theories.

So. Here is a thread for people to give a shout out to our friends at SDC and remind them those are just some few weirdoes. Chime in and let stardock know you love impulse.

I love impulse!

+56 Karma | 109 Replies
August 11, 2008 9:19:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
taltamir
Do you have any idea when you say things what your talking about?

Its not the power of the Wave but the freq and where in the brain it is directed.

However quite obviosuly you are correct... despite apparently having know knowledge about it at all, or that its used in extreme cases for physical thearapy, and in others by inserting for threapary for physcological problems, or the fact that "NON" Lethal police weapons are currently being designed with the pupose of causing a EMP that will knock a person out. Or the fact that some Military Flashbangs cause EMP that helps confuse a person.

August 11, 2008 9:24:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Impulse is a great step forward. I find the update process and installation of new software is rather slow and hopefully that will improve in future releases   

Considering that keeping itself updated and allowing me to buy, download, and update other products is literally 100% of the functionality in Impulse that I even peripherally care about, I find it a huge step backward from SDC, which did all that stuff faster and better.

Hopefully, Impulse will eventually get there. Until then, I hate it, because it is a negative value product - my experience with Stardock would be better if they'd never implemented Impulse, and stuck with SDC. I don't care about Impulse's fancy look and features, I care about its (currently) reduced functionality. It's the same reason I hate Windows Vista - it gives me nothing I care about, and less of what I do care about than its predecessor.

I don't subscribe to the tinfoil hat theories, though - my objections to Impulse are purely a matter of how well it does its job, and I expect that eventually they'll be addressed.
August 11, 2008 9:30:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo, why does the cat have bigger antenae?

More importantly, why does it have the "I'm going to kill you, I swear" look on its face?

To answer the first....bigger ears...

To answer the second....you clearly do not own a cat....

Oh, cripes....hope she didn't notice that.....I mean....you clearly are not a cat's 'staff'....

August 11, 2008 11:32:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I have nothing fundamentally against Impulse, but as long as SDC works better for what I need (namely, downloading and updating Stardock titles) I'm not going to bother with Impulse.

+1. i might consider downloading impulse when it matures, but for now, it doesn't offer me anything i want that i can't get from SDC. this isn't meant to be a slam against anyone working on impulse. i'm still using WinXP, and i didn't upgrade from Winamp 2 until the Winamp 5 generation.
August 11, 2008 2:19:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Jafo:

????????at the photo. Your cat's not going to talk to you for a week, and you'll pay, oh yes you'll pay ????
August 11, 2008 2:29:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Your cat's not going to talk to you for a week

It would probably be scarier if it did, actually, talk to you for a week

And no, I don't own a cat but I've lived with some for 1-2 years at a time (roomies' cats). One guy cat and one girl. The guy was so much better behaved! And he was a French cat, too. You'd have expected him to be a spoiled brat and put a drunken sailor to shame, but nope
August 11, 2008 4:46:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I whined, I was a whiner, there - I've said it.

In my defense, it was caused by a deep frustration at not getting my hands on the SoaSe Beta as soon as I wanted it. Anger fueled by impatience. And I'd had a bad week at work. And it was raining. Again.

As I now see it - it was popular, lots of people wanted it, the servers couldn't handle the load - Stardock/Ironclad should take it as a compliment and the rest of us should be more patient and stop whining.

August 11, 2008 7:03:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Impulse will eventually get there. Until then, I hate it, because it is a negative value product - my experience with Stardock would be better if they'd never implemented Impulse, and stuck with SDC. I don't care about Impulse's fancy look and features, I care about its (currently) reduced functionality. It's the same reason I hate Windows Vista - it gives me nothing I care about, and less of what I do care about than its predecessor.I don't subscribe to the tinfoil hat theories, though - my objections to Impulse are purely a matter of how well it does its job, and I expect that eventually they'll be addressed.

The fancy graphic interface is just a skin. It has nothing to do with what you are describing.

SDC has some technical limitations, such as the inability to install games over 2GB in size, etc. As such, parts of SDC have to be completely rewritten for impulse, those rewritten sections offer new and improve functionality, but lack some of the old capabilities at the moment. SDC is still available exactly because of that, and will remain available until all such features are implemented, you can use both of them, impulse for the new capabilities that WILL NOT WORK in SDC, and SDC for yet to be implemented features in impulse.

I used both of them at first, but recently i have uninstalled SDC as impulse does everything I want. And does it well.
August 11, 2008 9:23:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think that when Impulse Phase 2 launches later this month that Impulse will have reached the level where it will be sufficiently better than SDC that people will want to use it.

I prefer Impulse because, for me, it is more robust. I don't think most people are even aware of just how flakey Stardock Central can be even at its most basic level in terms of updating programs (like not always installing all the right files).  SDC is like Impulse in that if it works for you, it works great.  But it doesn't work great for everyone.

Impulse has the advantage of taking what we've learned from SDC and been able to apply it to Impulse.  But like anything, it will take a bit to nail down the loose ends. That's why Impulse's first big test is with an explicit beta like Sins of a Solar Empire v1.1 and not with the launch of a major title.

August 11, 2008 9:54:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Anything new in Phase 2? Or just improvements? (Not that improvements aren't welcome...)
August 11, 2008 10:20:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Impulse is a great step forward. I find the update process and installation of new software is rather slow and hopefully that will improve in future releases

Leo,
We are working to bring up more servers to load balance.  Hopefully we will have another up this week and you should start to see some performance improvements with downloading updates.

Thanks, Zargon. I know you guys are up to your ears in work and when the next version comes out - as Brad mentioned - I'm sure we'll see a speed increase. Great stuff and I'm sure Impulse will be a huge success.
August 11, 2008 10:25:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
weirdoes

Hmmm... need to check with Quayle on that.

Jafo -

Climate change must be affecting you ozzies much earlier than us denizens of the US and A.
August 11, 2008 10:55:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Anything new in Phase 2? Or just improvements? (Not that improvements aren't welcome...)

Phase 2 has a lot of new features as well as many technical improvements:

• New Download Code (made default - will improve download reliability and resuming)
  • More back end servers to handle peak periods (will improve download speeds of patches)
  • Updated code to "Preparing download..." that will fetch XML if available rather than hitting the files on disk no matter what.
  • Faster startup.
  • Better installation queueing that will "Wait to install..." if other applications are installing.
  • Custom filters (and more sort options).

and more....

August 12, 2008 3:27:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Climate change must be affecting you ozzies much earlier than us denizens of the US and A.

Eek....'Ozzies' are likely things belonging to a certain Osborne [Black Sabbath]...it's 'Aussies'.

And likewise it's definitely 'U S of A', not 'and' .... Spell checker ...

August 12, 2008 4:29:27 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Impulse will eventually get there. Until then, I hate it, because it is a negative value product - my experience with Stardock would be better if they'd never implemented Impulse, and stuck with SDC. I don't care about Impulse's fancy look and features, I care about its (currently) reduced functionality. It's the same reason I hate Windows Vista - it gives me nothing I care about, and less of what I do care about than its predecessor.I don't subscribe to the tinfoil hat theories, though - my objections to Impulse are purely a matter of how well it does its job, and I expect that eventually they'll be addressed.The fancy graphic interface is just a skin. It has nothing to do with what you are describing.SDC has some technical limitations, such as the inability to install games over 2GB in size, etc. As such, parts of SDC have to be completely rewritten for impulse, those rewritten sections offer new and improve functionality, but lack some of the old capabilities at the moment. SDC is still available exactly because of that, and will remain available until all such features are implemented, you can use both of them, impulse for the new capabilities that WILL NOT WORK in SDC, and SDC for yet to be implemented features in impulse.I used both of them at first, but recently i have uninstalled SDC as impulse does everything I want. And does it well.

August 12, 2008 4:40:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Wow!
I really love this website.

It posts the quote, but not my reply.

Why can't you guys get it right?

With either the website or with Impulse - or with SDC for that matter?
??????????????????????????????????

Get rid of them both. (as in, SDC and Impulse)

Release a single .exe file to update the program(s) as needed.

Get a clue!

We don't like this bullshit!

Frogboy, Jafo, Zargon0225, ...

All you do is make excuses for inept attempts.

You seek to control us with this SDC and Impulse garbage.
Why not just build the safeguards into each official update?

Too much trouble for you?

It is more trouble trying to get these other programs to work correctly, IMO.

August 12, 2008 5:36:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hey Moosetek13,

I guess now would be a bad time to remind you of your "focus" on being constructive in one's posts? ????

Hey, Monk,

Do you have anything constructive to say?
In any thread?

???
thread-link for reference

Since this thread was supposed to be about posting IMPULSE-success stories and giving kudo's to the devs for their hard-work and dedication, I thought you should know your post (especially given your penchant for constructive posting) was the exact opposite.

There are many "Impulse suggestion" threads, among the many "Impulse complaint" threads......do you really have to rain on everyone's parade in this positive if not constructive thread?

Of course, you could just be having a "bad day". Happens to the best of us.....hehe ????

the Monk
August 12, 2008 5:42:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
"We" who? Works just fine for the rest of us.

And like what the others said...it's *easier* and *more efficient* to offer updates through a single service. I'd rather have a one-stop-shop to detect and update my software than to have to hunt down some obscure exe file, download it, find it on my harddrive, run it, etc.

Impulse is here to stay.
August 12, 2008 6:44:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Timing on this post is a little awkward but I want to post it and move on so here goes:

I've been pondering Impulse for a few weeks, been seeing all of the issue posts and held back. Only want a Object Desktop etc manager and SDC was doing the trick.

Last night I sucked it up and installed Impulse. Installation went great, I didn't go out of my way at all to try to help it out or be conservative, actually kind of tried to be a "dumb users" (not that far of a stretch, really????).

I run XPSP3Home with a multi-user/limited user environment, and I was ESTATIC to see that the Impulse installation was a lot friendlier to that environment than SDC has ever been. I updated a few programs and even installed a new component just for fun, and again I was estatic to see, as far as I can tell, that Impulse seems to have addressed the chronic SDC issue I've always had to deal with.

I posted in another thread awhile back something to the effect of "I wish more resources were directed to areas other than Impulse". Ironically, this specific issue is exactly what I had in mind when I wrote that (who knew?), so I now happily and publicly eat those words - munch, munch, munch, no problem ????.

Ya I'm a happy camper.????
August 12, 2008 8:14:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
We don't like this bullshit!

Then you're free to not use it And speak for yourself.
August 12, 2008 10:18:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Frogboy, Jafo, Zargon0225, ...

All you do is make excuses for inept attempts.

You seek to control us with this SDC and Impulse garbage.
Hmmm.  I guess that's why I keep buying Stardock products.  I'm told to by the apps themselves.

Jafo . . could you work on my typing/spelling?  Thaks. 
August 12, 2008 10:20:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
actually kind of tried to be a "dumb users"

Heck, I can do that without even trying. It's good hearing things went well for you.I use Impulse daily,all components have been working just fine for me ,and I am a "dumb user"
In fact,I'm so ignorant,I am very happy with Vista and Impulse!

"We don't like this bullshit!" As my mother would say,"Who is we? You have a turd in your pocket?"
August 12, 2008 10:24:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hmmm. I guess that's why I keep buying Stardock products. I'm told to by the apps themselves.

They implant themselves into your brain after you look at them once, and then feed you subliminal messages when you sleep. Yvan eht nioj.

Thaks.

Thanks.* Thank you for using the trial version of the Annatar spell checker. To continue using this product, you need only register your personal copy for a one time fee of $49.99.

Annatar - the world's first walking, talking, interactive spell checker.
August 12, 2008 10:30:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Er....second....and I have the smilie to prove it.... Spell checker ...

August 12, 2008 10:33:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Have you met Jafo, the Wincustomize Admin?  You are a bit late to the game.  
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000610   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.