The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod, DotA

By on August 9, 2008 12:21:06 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

The initial inspiration for Demigod was heavily based on the Warcraft 3 mod, Defense of the Ancients. If you've never played it, Defense of the Ancients is an incredibly clever game concept in which players team up on on a single map choosing between many different heroes. How one customizes their hero makes all the difference.

Demigod works similarly in that you choose amongst several different heroes (your Demigods). Some heroes are called Generals whose strengths come from their ability to manipulate their minions and engage in larger scale strategy. Other heroes are called Assassins who are immensely powerful individuals whose strengths focus on just being massive butt kickers.

Defense of the Ancients could almost be described as a game where two rivers are flowing against each other. Each player is trying to get their river to make headway against their opponent's river until the flow enters their base. My analogy may not make sense unless you've played DotA. But if you have, you probably get my meaning.  Demigod does not play quite like that.

In Demigod you have a lot of strategic choices you have to make. Arenas have other elements that give one side or the other significant advantages. This means players have to choose often to give up some ground in order to gain longer term advantages. That is, there are certain parts of the Arena that you can control that give your side significant advantages. Hence, there are multiple strategic objectives.

The Demigod gains strength through experience, as they level up, the player can choose to strengthen different abilities or add new powers. Players can also use money to purchase items that give their side or their Demigod additional advantages. This is basically the same as was found in DotA.

So it's definitely fair to say that DotA served as inspiration for Demigod. But Demigod will ultimately be somewhat different in play style. Right now, myself, Chris Taylor, and Mike Marr are putting our combined design experiences together in trying to create a unique, innovative, and compelling strategy game experience.

More to come on this soon.

+83 Karma | 84 Replies
August 20, 2008 2:24:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Well I have to comment, first 'dota player' learn to speak intelligently, spell 'you' fully and people will give you more respect.

Now, to point one thing out to Windexglow, when people left and then you got kicked, what probably happened is the host left, no one else could host, and the game ended as a whole.

And the concept used by dota (i.e. AoS style maps) was at the time very innovative. And while enjoy DotA I give it a meh it's ok rating, demigod is definitely going to prove diffrent, it has already.
August 20, 2008 12:31:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Mooey; when a host leaves you can continue playing the game.
When you're connection is terminated you are forced to quit.
August 20, 2008 1:07:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
When the host leaves you can continue to play, ONLY IF some one else can host, (i.e. they must not have a firewall(usually it's a firewall)), and most people on bnet cannot host. In some cases when everyone leaves, you SOMETIMES get a server split that allows you to play alone, but not always.

And yes you are right when your connection gets terminated you are forced to quit, WHICH is what happens when a host leaves and no one else can host.

Not only have I played on bnet since RoC but I make maps and mods for it, I know what I'm talking about.
August 20, 2008 9:24:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Once a game starts there is no "host". It's all peer to peer.
August 20, 2008 9:49:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Love dota and i love what you guys are doing!!! Keep it up!
August 20, 2008 11:30:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Once a game starts there is no "host". It's all peer to peer.

Actually no. Someone is designated the host (almost always the guy who made the game), and he remains the host until he leaves. Under ideal circumstances his leaving would be at the end of the game, and everyone would drop as normal, but if he were to lag enough so that some/all of the other players couldn't reach him, he'd drag some/none of the other players with him causing a split. If none of the remaining players have the ability to host (you can shut off your hosting ability, rumours abound that it helps stop splits (it does, just now how everyone thinks)), those players get booted back to whatever channel they were in. If someone can host though, usually whoever's next highest on the player roster, they take over and start sending updates to the players they still have contact with. Since some of the players are still connected to the original host, they ignore the new host's commands (cheaters!) and thus a split is born. It's an odd thing when it happens, I've been in a large game of SWAT: Aftermath (7 players) and about half way through, after one person decided to leave on his own, the game split and two of us were left in a survival game while the others played on thinking we left. >P
August 21, 2008 12:13:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
You are thinking of a server model, where players send commands to the host, who then sends commands to all the other players. It doesn't work that way in most games. I know for a fact Supreme Commander is peer to peer (and logically Demigod will be as well). Everyone is connected to everyone, and everyone sends packets to everyone. There is no host designation when the game starts. First Person Shooters may handle it differently, but nearly every RTS follows the peer to peer model (with the extremely rare exception of WC3, which is routed through a central server I believe, so even then everything is fine if the "host" quits).
August 21, 2008 8:04:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I thought we were talking about Wc3 though, I know its got a server model. I agree though that peer to peer makes more sense for gaming with units on a large scale (over a few dozen). For FPS', or games where you control only a single character, it makes very little sense though because it's too easy to tell everyone, "Yeah, uh, my guy's over there. You must have missed the packets that told you that. Oh, and I just did a billion damage to you through a wall." While technically you could do such a thing for an RTS, the game is structured in such a way (usually) that large numbers of units are easily built and/or replaced, and the damage of an individual is rarely as important. Plus, I think someone's going to notice when your army doesn't die to superior forces. >)
I'm pretty sure that all of Blizzard's games follow the client/server model, I know Starcraft had some similar issues with crappy hosts bringing down the rest of the players, but the same players hosted by a different person would be fine (except the one lagger).
August 21, 2008 9:09:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Starcraft used the same model as SupCom. The host is only necessary for mediating connections to all the other players. Once that is established, the host doesn't matter. If the host doesn't have proper port forwarding then you won't be able to connect to the other players.
August 21, 2008 10:11:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
To use an analogy, while the games use a peer-to-peer model for most things (there is way to much going on for a server-client setup), they do need a 'host' to serve as traffic cop to make sure the data gets where it needs to go.
August 21, 2008 10:38:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
i hope most actual dota players dont come to demigod i played demigod for the 4th time ever and the host who died right infront of me calls me a noob and kicked me and i dont wanna see those guys in demigod, which we cant control so at least take the kick feature off if ur admin otherwise new players will get kicked by these pros just because they did 1 thing wrong
August 21, 2008 6:52:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
That kick function you're talking about wasn't in DoTA, its a third party program that blocks you're IP from connecting to the hosts, thereby removing you from the game.

Blizzard already made that program not work with custom maps in warcraft 3 also. So there really is no problem here

I think you may have joined a "pro only" game perhaps? But even if you didn't, you can't possibly hold it against the developers if other players don't want to play with people who suck and ruin it for them.
August 21, 2008 10:20:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Loom; it was an average titled game. Of course I wouldn't join a 'pro' game on my first tries.
Icefrog isn't the nicest of characters, and (I'm not sure its his code) but has alot to improve in his jassing.

And until blizzard hosts Custom Games on it's server, it will be near impossible to stop custom kicks.
All players send their local data to the Host, which in turns sends the data to all players so they are sync'd properly. This is why resource hacks are impossible; get out of sync and you're disconnected.
I believe patch 1.22 change some strings around so ShadowFrenches custom kick does not work, but it just takes time to find the strings again.
August 22, 2008 1:04:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Kicking indeed works perfectly fine again, and we are talking about wc3 not supcom!

And, windexglow, have you cracked dota or something? Otherwise how do you know what his coding looks like? and even if you did.. where did you get the files to reconstruct his triggers? (as cracking the map you play with will only give a mess of code that isn't formatted, unless you have the files he (probably) backed his triggers up in)

And if your talking about the dota templates... they're actually very good, leak free, and they work! Whats wrong with that?
August 22, 2008 6:40:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Right now, myself, Chris Taylor, and Mike Marr are putting our combined design experiences together in trying to create a unique, innovative, and compelling strategy game experience.

Got faith in the team, but you're a big big tease in the SP department. I know you're a SP buff, but with so little info on that I do get wild with my imagination and can only picture a bunch of skirmish maps to play against the AI.

Either way, can't wait for this!
August 29, 2008 5:28:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Windexglow,
Sorry, but I don't enjoy spending several hours playing a game to get the "full experience" in order for it to be fun.Some people don't have 8 hours of free time.And great post eternal cat.

By wasting 3 games for 9 players, you wasted let's say about 13.5 hours for them (10 minutes to setup a game, loading, pick heroes etc + 20 min actual game, to a total of 0.5 hours * 9 players * 3 games = 13.5 hours). So, it's totally ok for you to waste 13.5 hours of other's time, yet you don't have even 8 hours of your precious time (obviously, you don't care about other's time) and complain that others didn't teach you.

Quoting Feynt,
Well despite that, some heroes ARE overpowered as far as hero killing or creeping is concerned. Lanaya in the right hands (not necessarily experienced hands) can kill before level 6, and not stop for the rest of the game. Pudge with some know how can be an excellent enabler, if not an outright hero slaughterer. Just takes someone who can tell you what does what in your beginning days and it's all gold.DotA has a murderous learning curve at times. It's not just the game you're fighting against, it's the player base. If the player base were supportive rather than dismissive of newbies there would be a lot more decent, if not high rank players.

Read forums, watch replays, play against AI. There is no time to teach someone during the game. When you're playing a _team_ game, you should play, not ask stupid questions. There is no time for chat in RTS games. If you want to chat during the game, use Team Speak or something.

August 29, 2008 5:37:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Loomismeister,
That kick function you're talking about wasn't in DoTA, its a third party program that blocks you're IP from connecting to the hosts, thereby removing you from the game. Blizzard already made that program not work with custom maps in warcraft 3 also. So there really is no problem here I think you may have joined a "pro only" game perhaps? But even if you didn't, you can't possibly hold it against the developers if other players don't want to play with people who suck and ruin it for them.

Well, it's a developer's fault when game with a sharp learning curve doesn't divide new and pro players so they don't ruin the game for each other. With DotA, there is a problem that it's a mod, not a standalone game, so mod developers can't do such feature.

August 29, 2008 2:13:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ellestar you prove Feynt and Windexglow's points quite well.

August 29, 2008 3:32:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mOoEyThEcOw,
Well I have to comment, first 'dota player' learn to speak intelligently, spell 'you' fully and people will give you more respect.Now, to point one thing out to Windexglow, when people left and then you got kicked, what probably happened is the host left, no one else could host, and the game ended as a whole.And the concept used by dota (i.e. AoS style maps) was at the time very innovative. And while enjoy DotA I give it a meh it's ok rating, demigod is definitely going to prove diffrent, it has already.

Yeah.

I hope Demigod is something DotA players might like, as that's a big potential customer base, but I hope you don't have to like DotA to like Demigod if you know what I mean.

But then again, much of the DotA community is incrediably rude and immature.

August 29, 2008 4:09:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

...But then again, much of the DotA community is incrediably rude and immature.

I'd like to think that the majority of the dota community is not incredibly rude and immature and that it only seems that way because the rude and immature crowd are much more vocal.  If you think about it, in a game with 10 players, there's usually only 2 or 3 really obnoxious ones.  Sometimes it may be 4 or and sometimes you may feel like the only one with a sane head, but generally I'd say its 2 to 3...  Here's hoping.

August 29, 2008 7:33:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With DotA, there is a problem that it's a mod, not a standalone game, so mod developers can't do such feature.

Actually its relatively simple, even using the GUI triggers. If the developers wanted DotA to have kicks they could do it in a blink of an eye.

August 29, 2008 9:56:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Odit,
...But then again, much of the DotA community is incrediably rude and immature.
I'd like to think that the majority of the dota community is not incredibly rude and immature and that it only seems that way because the rude and immature crowd are much more vocal.  If you think about it, in a game with 10 players, there's usually only 2 or 3 really obnoxious ones.  Sometimes it may be 4 or and sometimes you may feel like the only one with a sane head, but generally I'd say its 2 to 3...  Here's hoping.

You'r right. it's usaully 1-3 people per game out of 10.

But 30% of people being douches is still quite a lot.

Oh I remember playing UT back in 1999.  People did this amazing thing where if you were typing they wouldn't attack you.  There was an animation when you typed, hand pressing against the ear and nodded.  about 99 out of 100 people, if they saw you, wouldn't attack you and get an easy kill/point(unless it was CTF, then a lot more people would kill you for obvious reasons.).  People cared more about sportsmanship and fair play than adding +1 points to their score.

By the time UT2003 came.. it still had this same animation, but people would always kill you while you where typing.  The maturity of people degraded so much in just 4 years, and now it's even worse. :/

I guess I'm more immature and arrogant than I was too, probably from dealing with all these kids and immature people in games..

So from less than 1%, to 30%..

August 29, 2008 9:59:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

UGH no edit button.

I wanted to add:

Not only that, but if someone DID accidently type-kill someone in UT back then, (since it's so fast paced, you often jump aroudn a corner, see someone, and just reflexively shoot them without thinking before you can see what they're doing) they would often offer the person a free kill to make it even.

How much things have changed.

August 30, 2008 4:58:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's the spread of the Internet. Back in 1999 (I was 7 lol), there weren't many people on the web, and those who were tended to be the type who'd spent hours messing with their technology to get on the web. Not many 10-year-olds were there (cept me lol) because online gaming wasn't so accessible. Now, every retard who can open the cup holder can get online, and all those kids see is other retards. Which is a bad learning process.

Yeah, it is just the annoying noobs who're loud in the game - I see maybe 2 noobs in a 10-player DotA game. The other 8 just play, and only talk about stuff like "[Allies] is it okay if I go solo in the bottom lane?" and "[All] lol, thought I was going to win for a second there". I tried out Garena last night: it's a gaming platform where you can play certain online games with an experience system, and less delay than you'd find on Battlenet. Because Garena takes some setup, it excludes most noobs - with the exception of my friend (whose laptop overheated 9 minutes in and crashed), everyone stayed to the end and was good-natured about how the game worked out.

August 30, 2008 6:29:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I???wwant to know will Demigod be friendly to newbies who have not have much experiences in these semi-tactical/RTS type games.  I???don't know how to classify Dota, but i do know that it is part RTS part tactical and part team vs team oriented.   I was told by a friend that to learn to play Dota, i have to be literally throw myself into the deep end learn by being masscare a few hundred times, afterwards the longer i surive longer and longer, i will learn the feel for the game.  He then summed it up as follows, if one wants to have a fun time, don't play games like Dota or Counter strike online.  because in the beginning, you will get kill or raped over and over again. It is like those atheletes who competes in professional sports, they don't enjoy the practice, but then as long as they win, then after they have won, they enjoy it, because they do it to know that they can be better than an other human being doing the same difficult thing. Soo playing Dota is like that, people don't play to have fun, people play to be better than others and to satisfy their egos.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.